Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

OK update time. Let it be known known ahead of time that this crap is starting to grate on my last nerve and I'm starting to freak the fuck out 

Last Friday, employee we'll call "C" tested positive after testing negative the preceding Friday.  He was held out of work for a week to be re-tested due to rooming with original employee who I'll refer to as "E", and being cousins and going to big Mother's Day celebration with tons of family and friends. Due to C re-testing positive, we all had to go back for another test this past Friday.  All negative.  In the meantime last week, C was off work and had D replace him running the crane.  Nice machine, air conditioning, sound proofing, enclosed cab.  This morning found out that D got sick over the weekend, high fever, sore throat, headache and... shitting blood.  I know, not a usual symptom but there it is.  This afternoon, one of my crew T, found out his daughter tested positive today.  He rode in with 2 fellow employees (E and C) today from Houston crammed into a single cab pickup.  All 3 were immediately sent back to Houston to be tested again and more than likely will take at least a week off to verify their status and protect other employees (ME).

So what do you guys make of this?  Faulty tests?  Poor habits at home and around family?  I mean this is starting to get old and I wonder how many damned bullets I can dodge?  Or does the medical field really not know as much about this thing as they think they do?

Sorry so long...

I think you’re F’d in the A

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I'd like to back to use the Sheep in panic line, but I feel like Costanza, "Yeah, we'll the Jerk School called, and they're running out of Aggies!"  

Plus, I actually think I may have fucked the guy's wife.  She looked awfully familiar in a drunken stupor 90's kinda way.  My god, those guys like to marry average. 

Fat Aggy Girl + Beer + Beer + Beer + Beer + Beer + Beer + Beer + Beer + Beer + Beer = Hey there's no way I possibly know about that nope nope noooope.

• Like 1

Yeah, unless you are quarantining the staff of those retirement homes, some of them are going to come home, handle stuff their snot-encrusted kids did, bang their spouse who may work with the public in some capacity, hang out with their friends watching the ballgame in a living room filled to capacity, etc., etc.  And if they are having to do lots of sanitizing at work, you can bet some of them don't want to do that shit at home.  

Is that what they are doing for hospital workers? Are they self quarantining? All of the janitors, kitchen employees, business people, doctors and nurses are self quarantining?

20 minutes ago, Hate said:

Is that what they are doing for hospital workers? Are they self quarantining? All of the janitors, kitchen employees, business people, doctors and nurses are self quranantining?

Healthcare workers have pretty much the highest rate of infection, so I'm not sure where you are going here. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

What I envisioned happening at the store today:

Guy in A&M gear, "Why you wearing a mask?  You're nothing but a sheep man!" 

Me, "Well if anybody would know what a sheep would wear in a panic, it's an Aggie." 

What really happened: 

Me, "You in line sir?"

Guy in A&M gear (looking at my mask), "Yeah, what's it to you faggot?"  

Again, I go back to this not being political, it's about education and income.  Aggies typically have mediocre levels of both.  

Sounds like a fake story lol

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Healthcare workers have pretty much the highest rate of infection, so I'm not sure where you are going here. 

This is what started the exchange.

7 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yeah uh, if over 100k have died in the past 2.5 months with VERY strict lockdown and closures, i dont see how we keep deaths under 260k over the next 12-24 months with VERY LITTLE lockdown measures

7 hours ago, Hate said:

Because we will keep it out of retirement homes as well as isolate old people and others at risk?

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, unless you are quarantining the staff of those retirement homes, some of them are going to come home, handle stuff their snot-encrusted kids did, bang their spouse who may work with the public in some capacity, hang out with their friends watching the ballgame in a living room filled to capacity, etc., etc.  And if they are having to do lots of sanitizing at work, you can bet some of them don't want to do that shit at home.

We aren't quarantining the staffs now and the numbers are going down.  We learned that shipping infected old people to old people homes is a bad idea.  We've learned we should isolate the elderly people and immune compromised.  Protocols have been established for how to move forward as safely as possible going forward.  The rates of 80+ year olds dying of this virus has dropped dramatically over the last couple of weeks.  Most of the people that this kills are going to see their risk of getting the coronas drop dramatically as we go along.  There is no way we see another 160k deaths to this imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

What really happened: 

Me, "You in line sir?"

Guy in A&M gear (looking at my mask), "Yeah, what's it to you faggot?"  

And? You ran to your phone to joke that you fucked his wife 30 years ago? How is that the end of the story? Did your mask have a picture of a cock going into your mouth?

Edited by B00M
NTTIAWWT
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yeah, calling bullshit, that never happened.

And the only way your fantasy could be any more predictable was if someone was prison raped. 

No shit, detective.  But I have been called a sheep for wearing a mask, but yeah---not by anybody in Aggie gear.  It would be a funny retort.

Anyway, easy on the prison rape thing man.  Yeah, I took a bad joke too far.  But your fantasy on that thread was a black man pleading for his life, a little more fucked up than mine there sparky.  But you do you. 

7 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

OK update time. Let it be known known ahead of time that this crap is starting to grate on my last nerve and I'm starting to freak the fuck out 

Last Friday, employee we'll call "C" tested positive after testing negative the preceding Friday.  He was held out of work for a week to be re-tested due to rooming with original employee who I'll refer to as "E", and being cousins and going to big Mother's Day celebration with tons of family and friends. Due to C re-testing positive, we all had to go back for another test this past Friday.  All negative.  In the meantime last week, C was off work and had D replace him running the crane.  Nice machine, air conditioning, sound proofing, enclosed cab.  This morning found out that D got sick over the weekend, high fever, sore throat, headache and... shitting blood.  I know, not a usual symptom but there it is.  This afternoon, one of my crew T, found out his daughter tested positive today.  He rode in with 2 fellow employees (E and C) today from Houston crammed into a single cab pickup.  All 3 were immediately sent back to Houston to be tested again and more than likely will take at least a week off to verify their status and protect other employees (ME).

So what do you guys make of this?  Faulty tests?  Poor habits at home and around family?  I mean this is starting to get old and I wonder how many damned bullets I can dodge?  Or does the medical field really not know as much about this thing as they think they do?

Sorry so long...

Ok, so A and B are already dead? Gotcha.

5 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I've never seen it either, but with is going on?  We've got people testing positive left and right after testing negative just a few days before.

I’m not sure what is confusing about this. Ignoring the fact that maybe the tests aren’t 100% reliable, and maybe I missed part of your post but I don’t know how much time elapsed from exposure to testing, but maybe they didn’t have it yet? I’m not a virologist or immunologist or whatever, clearly, but if someone in my household actually got corona I would assume they could cough on me three times or ten times or whatever and I might not get it, but the eleventh time 10 days later might be the one.

6 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

1000%. And include nursing homes and extended care. 10% Of the states have nearly 60% of the deaths. The left over percentage have near half of those deaths in nursing homes. We have the data that continues to show this. It has to be local. It’s not one size fits all

I mean I’m pretty much with you on this but there really isn’t anything other than hoping warm weather helps us here. We are doing next to nothing.  Either we get an effective treatment by next winter or we get round 2. Which might or might not be worse. I lean worse, not because I hope for that but because take every fucking idiot that didn’t stay home this time, arm them with the ammo that it didn’t get “bad” and even if we try to lock down again, they won’t comply. 

6 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

How local do we go? States? Counties? Cities? 

Yes. For all the Austin people on here saying y’all are so glad you live there, there are a bunch of Austin people on the coast right now that are literally doing everything possible to be sure that if anyone here has the virus,they are going to get it. Don’t worry they will be back in town tomorrow or next week.

• Like 1

And, drunk rant over for the night but holy shit y’all. There’s a thread in CR that I was actually reading because it had some good info but now it seems some of y’all are migrating hereto peddle your politics. can’t believe I’m actually agreeing with @Lobo but he has raised a good point about a lot of this being driven mostly by socio-economic issues. There were/are 3 new pages of posts on this thread, probably 80% are from CR posters. Not saying you can’t or shouldn’t have a voice or opinion here but there is a bunch of room between the 2 threads. At least try to leave this one alone for actual data, or posters pulling numbers out of their ass?

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 3

I think I need to do @Lobo some justice here because he actually said it was an education issue. Despite what @Brisketexan posted from the girlfriend of his wife or whatever, I’m just not seeing that from most any reasonably educated person. Either I’m lucky to know those types of people that are being responsible with mask wearing and social distancing or some people are trying to make this about something it’s not.

This website is a good example. We are (mostly) educated and I haven’t seen a single post from anyone disagreeing with the presumption that mask wearing is a good thing. Seems like about 100% are doing it. And other than the god awful steak picture we are doing a pretty good job of not going into restaurants. Gotta be proud of this little community.

10 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I've never seen it either, but with is going on?  We've got people testing positive left and right after testing negative just a few days before.

They can get it in between the negative test and today if they keep going around the same infected person, or other family members he has interacted with.  

10 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

How local do we go? States? Counties? Cities? 

In Texas, mostly counties.

Most social contact is going to be within a county or among bordering counties.

Most ER/GA hospital resources serve a population roughly county-size.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hate said:
13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Is that what they are doing for hospital workers? Are they self quarantining? All of the janitors, kitchen employees, business people, doctors and nurses are self quarantining?

short answer......no

Guest Lobo

^ Hey, there's my girl!  Wouldn't be the same without you following a few of us from thread to thread.  I think I get the best nicknames from you though, don't think I don't appreciate that.

In other news, the weird version of the novel virus is seeing increasing numbers in Michigan and New York young children:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/05/25/michigan-boy-recovers-pediatric-multisystem-inflammatory-syndrome-covid-19/5255069002/

Haven't seen much on it in Texas.  This will not bode well for opening schools at 100%/on-time, I would imagine.  

34 minutes ago, Lobo said:

^ Hey, there's my girl!  Wouldn't be the same without you following a few of us from thread to thread.  I think I get the best nicknames from you though, don't think I don't appreciate that.

In other news, the weird version of the novel virus is seeing increasing numbers in Michigan and New York young children:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/05/25/michigan-boy-recovers-pediatric-multisystem-inflammatory-syndrome-covid-19/5255069002/

Haven't seen much on it in Texas.  This will not bode well for opening schools at 100%/on-time, I would imagine.  

Kids occasionally get hyperinflammatory immune responses after illnesses like rheumatic/scarlet fever, Henoch Schonlein purpura or Guillan Barre syndrome. They’re rare complications of illnesses such as strep throat, flu, colds, chicken pox, etc. 

Kids have been getting these reactions to viral and bacterial illnesses since the beginning of time and they shouldn’t factor in the decision whether or not to open schools.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Kids occasionally get hyperinflammatory immune responses after illnesses like rheumatic/scarlet fever, Henoch Schonlein purpura or Guillan Barre syndrome. They’re rare complications of illnesses such as strep throat, flu, colds, chicken pox, etc. 

Kids have been getting these reactions to viral and bacterial illnesses since the beginning of time and they shouldn’t factor in the decision whether or not to open schools.

now you did it...you went and posted something "inflammatory"

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Lobo said:

My neighbor's kid is actually the first case of the inflammatory thing in Travis County and was at Dell for a few days. Scary stuff. 

13 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

That guy would be calling me MR. Faggot by the time I got through with him.

Go back down to that store everyday until you see him again, and whoop his Aggy ass.

You gonna fuck his ass or something to get that name?

Edited by workswithseed
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo
42 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Thanks for that.  Should be some comfort to my wife.  Yeah, I didn't think it would be the final factor into school openings but it kinda popped up on folks radar a couple weeks ago then went silent and came roaring back in the last few days with our school board, et. al.  In the end, it's a TEA/Gov. Abbott call with local ISD's being given a modicum of leeway into decisions.  

And I can't wait to see how many more posts/pages Dr. Beeper can keep this up on a throw-away post about Aggies.  I remember I made a post about having lunch with Pres. Fenves.  One time.  Four years ago.  And Rex Kramer brought it up on every single reply to every single one of my posts for three years after that.  So sorry folks, bad joke on my part.  And now we have to listen to Dr. Beeper, Rex Kramer's sidekick for years now and it's my fault.  I take full responsibility.  I'd like to think Rex Kramer is out there somewhere, planning a hate crime.

49 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

House Reaction GIF

Guest Lobo
58 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Because he followed the story with “Here’s what really happened” ending with a guy in Aggie gear calling him a “faggot”. Major bull shit. 

I am still just in absolute awe that you cracked the code.  You have to be one of the savviest legacy guys in your frat house.  
We honestly...walk in your fucking shadow.  Top notch man, top notch.  

15 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Henoch Schonlein purpura

Johann Lukas Schönlein was an intersting prospect. He came out of nowhere from Bamberg as an undersized and outclassed 3 star only to emerge and name not one but two diseases. Although, I kind of miss consumption.

Pneumonia kills about 50,000 people each year in the U.S., according to the CDC.
This year, at least 89,555 deaths have been attributed nationwide to pneumonia between February and mid-May.
It tends to follow a typical flu season, coming on in December and peaking in January and February before declining in March to April.
But preliminary CDC data from this year show pneumonia deaths steadily climbed in March to peak in April, mirroring the trend line for deaths linked to the coronavirus outbreak.
Surrounding states are also seeing death counts several times greater than normal:
Indiana: 1,832 COVID-19 deaths; 2,149 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 384)
Illinois: 4,856 COVID-19 deaths; 3,986 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 782)
Tennessee: 336 COVID-19 deaths; 1,704 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 611)
Ohio: 1,969 COVID-19 deaths; 2,327 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 820)
Virginia: 1,208 COVID-19 deaths; 1,394 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 451)
West Virginia: 72 COVID-19 deaths; 438 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 117)”

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Any links to that data?  

CDC national and state-by-state numbers for 2020 (since Feb 1) here: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

CDC mortality numbers from 1999-2018 can be searched by month, state, and cause here: https://wonder.cdc.gov/ucd-icd10.html

Here's some additional regional numbers

This year, at least 89,555 deaths have been attributed nationwide to pneumonia between February and mid-May.
It tends to follow a typical flu season, coming on in December and peaking in January and February before declining in March to April.
But preliminary CDC data from this year show pneumonia deaths steadily climbed in March to peak in April, mirroring the trend line for deaths linked to the coronavirus outbreak.
Surrounding states are also seeing death counts several times greater than normal:
Indiana: 1,832 COVID-19 deaths; 2,149 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 384)
Illinois: 4,856 COVID-19 deaths; 3,986 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 782)
Tennessee: 336 COVID-19 deaths; 1,704 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 611)
Ohio: 1,969 COVID-19 deaths; 2,327 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 820)
Virginia: 1,208 COVID-19 deaths; 1,394 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 451)
West Virginia: 72 COVID-19 deaths; 438 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 117)”

However, it's much more clear to just look at total excess deaths:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Under Dashboard select "Number of Excess Deaths" and then "All causes, excluding Covid-19".

Across the US total excess deaths is 22000-43000. Let's say 30k. That means 30k more people are dying than we'd expect for this time period. If we assume all of those are unreported Covid cases (big assumption) then we're only reporting ~75% of total Covid cases deaths.

There's this argument being pushed on social media that we're overreporting cases deaths and it's not that bad. That's clearly not borne out by the data. We're probably under-reporting, and we may be underreporting by a lot

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

CDC national and state-by-state numbers for 2020 (since Feb 1) here: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

CDC mortality numbers from 1999-2018 can be searched by month, state, and cause here: https://wonder.cdc.gov/ucd-icd10.html

Here's some additional regional numbers

However, it's much more clear to just look at total excess deaths:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Under Dashboard select "Number of Excess Deaths" and then "All causes, excluding Covid-19".

Across the US total excess deaths is 22000-43000. Let's say 30k. That means 30k more people are dying than we'd expect for this time period. If we assume all of those are unreported Covid cases (big assumption) then we're only reporting ~75% of total Covid cases deaths.

There's this argument being pushed on social media that we're overreporting cases deaths and it's not that bad. That's clearly not borne out by the data. We're probably under-reporting, and we may be underreporting by a lot

I've taken to using this site as my primary source of information for numbers.  That one chart with the scalloped shape is excellent.  Pure unfiltered data that is very easy to understand.  It is great.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away