Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

That’s bad.  Imagine being therapists treating active C19 confirmed patients.  And being last in line for PPE.  Sucks but happens all over.  

Yup, she knows some.  We don't have a ton of C19 patients here in Travis County, but there are some.  I'd hate to be in their position, or the docs'.

32 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm following your lead.  I know you're a Sooner and all, but you are a medical doctor.*

*I'm assuming you're a medical doctor just for the sake of feeling better about going out boozing myself.

I like to say...do as I say, not do as I do.

My liver can tell you some stories.  

Update 5/28/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Wuhan Flu Deaths - Cumulative total

3/27: 1 death

5/24: 84 deaths

5/25: 84 deaths

5/26: 85 deaths

5/27: 88 deaths

5/28: 92 deaths

Last Five Days: +7  (+2)

Travis County Health Care Stats: Current numbers

5/24: Hp - 82, ICU - 39, Vent - 21

5/25: Hp - 82, ICU - 39, Vent - 21

5/26: Hp - 90, ICU - 42, Vent - 25

5/27: Hp - 93, ICU - 41, Vent - 22

5/28: Hp - 88, ICU - 38, Vent - 22

Last Five Days: Hp: +6, ICU: -1, Vent: +1

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

US Death Total 5/28/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 48,437 (52.6%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           43,652

Total:                                                           92,089

Top 5: Highest State Death Totals:

NY: 23,722

NJ: 11,401

Mass: 6,640

Michigan: 5,334

Pennsylvania: 5,152

(Illinois: 4,715 drops out of the top 5)

Total: 52,249 (56.7% of total deaths)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/htmlview#gid=43566737

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’m out boozing.  I’ve flown.  There’s ways to live life and not freak the fuck out.  

Apologies if this is taken out of context, but with all due respect, you are one of the few who has been tested and shown to have antibodies. You are operating with a completely different level of certainty and safety than the rest of us.

If you’re under 60, healthy, and not exposed to elderly or unhealthy people in your life, there is no reason why you shouldn’t lead a “normal” life right now. Wear a mask out in public and wash your hands regularly, but otherwise do what you want to do.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:

I really think we should be talking more about the Covid monkeys.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

We should be talking about who put the aggy in charge of the monkey COVID lab.

55 minutes ago, Hate said:

If you’re under 60, healthy, and not exposed to elderly or unhealthy people in your life, there is no reason why you shouldn’t lead a “normal” life right now. Wear a mask out in public and wash your hands regularly, but otherwise do what you want to do.

Yep.  Don’t hang out in a moshpit but for the most part this will work.  Can’t stress the need to keep away from old/immunocompromised people enough.  

The men’s soccer league here in austin is planning on reopening play June 21st. I don’t know how I’ll feel in a few weeks, but right now contact sports seems a little out of my comfort zone. 

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Imo it is much more mild in summer/heat too.

If it is much more mild in summer, shouldn’t we be going hard for the heard immunity right now? Get to the heard immunity level by end of summer.

So if the US averages around 2.8M deaths per calendar year ... what’s your guess on 2020?    Some modest year over year growth is expected.   And yeah perhaps a spike of an extra 100k or so over the past month but my guess that is going to be watered down by the end of the year.  At risk / elderly people are going to pass away for a variety of reasons.    

My guess is we will be less than 3M dead.  Say 2.95M.  And the debates afterward are going to be divisive as ever ...

So Call Your Shot.    

29 minutes ago, XYZ said:

If it is much more mild in summer, shouldn’t we be going hard for the heard immunity right now? Get to the heard immunity level by end of summer.

It doesn’t spread as easy either.  But we have a place w everyone having mild symptoms and I joked we should charge people to walk through with no PPE.  

So there should probably be better studies on if that is a smart move.  It might be.  We don’t know enough about strains etc to actually pull the trigger on that vs making a guess on it.  

23 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Goddamit.  This era has really brought home to me one big lesson: I could be worth a kajillion dollars if I just didn't have a conscience and was willing to grift like a motherfucker.  "holographic nano-layer catalyser" -- that's f'n BRILLIANT.

Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

At last!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

What? Can you speak up?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’m not alone.  Wife was stuck in a Europe.  She is ab negative.  Be smart but not scared.  A cruise is dumb.  If you have to fly - we did - and you’re not high risk/immunocompromised you shouldn’t be scared.  

I just rounded at a building with over 100 positives.  Avg age 75ish.  You know now many had any symptoms?  Less than 20%.  I’ll post hard numbers later.  I took a pic of daily census/positives.  

Now I’ll hit the hospital later and there’s much sicker patients.  I’m just trying to give context.  I’m sharing what I see real time.  Imo it is much more mild in summer/heat too.  I’ve stuck by that since the beginning.  

So be careful.  I made it clear above the boozing and traveling is ‘me’ thing.  I’m still recommending safety first.   But there’s too much fear mongering out there.  

So,

I dealt with the cruise ship and Chinese embassy evacuees when they came to San Antonio. If someone tested positive they were separated from others. Very few, (I would say 15-20%) of the positives were symptomatic. It is why I believe there have been tons of people who contracted Covid 19 and didn’t know it. This is anecdotal but it’s what I believe based on my experience.

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I like to say...do as I say, not do as I do.

My liver can tell you some stories.  

Yes, go on.,....

I want to make sure whether or not if I should avoid you if I need medical care in ChiTown.  lulz

Update 5/29/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Wuhan Flu Deaths - Cumulative total

3/27: 1 death

5/25: 84 deaths

5/26: 85 deaths

5/27: 88 deaths

5/28: 92 deaths

5/29: 92 deaths

Last Five Days: +7  (No change)

Travis County Health Care Stats: Current numbers

5/25: Hp - 82, ICU - 39, Vent - 21

5/26: Hp - 90, ICU - 42, Vent - 25

5/27: Hp - 93, ICU - 41, Vent - 22

5/28: Hp - 88, ICU - 38, Vent - 22

5/29: Hp - 88, ICU - 38, Vent - 22

Last Five Days: Hp: +6, ICU: -1, Vent: +1

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

US Death Total 5/29/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 48,755 (52.6%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           43,908

Total:                                                           92,663

Top 5: Highest State Death Totals:

NY: 23,780

NJ: 11,531

Mass: 6,718

Michigan: 5,334

Pennsylvania: 5,152

Total: 52,515 (56.7% of total deaths)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/htmlview#gid=43566737

Was at the HEB in Buffalo Speedway around noon picking up steak for tonight and brisket for tomorrow.  It was crowded.   I saw one person without a mask.  Out of the hundreds encountered.  

Glad to see people around here are still using common sense.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

We don’t know enough about strains etc to actually pull the trigger on that vs making a guess on it.

This is pretty much the bulk of the problem in a nutshell, and will be for a while.  We don't know what we don't know.

Kind of like, "Well, everyone knows Custer died at Little Bighorn. What this book presupposes is . . . maybe he didn't."

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Was at the HEB in Buffalo Speedway around noon picking up steak for tonight and brisket for tomorrow.  It was crowded.   I saw one person without a mask.  Out of the hundreds encountered.  

Wish I could say the same.  Fucking east Texas.  Curbside for me for the duration.  Too easy not to go that route. 

Edited by dcbc

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Terrell Hills Ok’ed a 200 person wedding here in the neighborhood at a family’s house. 

the granddad was a legit Longhorn legend and they are a really down to earth, kind family. The girl getting married is a UT grad and a super cool person as is her groom. Lots more that 200 people are probably going to show up.

one note, Brides parents (who live at the house where this party shall be) have both tested positive for COVID. The word amongst those planning to attend is that they both probably got a false positive because that has happened with several other members of the community. 

so, a big ‘we’ll see what happens’ moment coming up. 

4 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

one note, Brides parents (who live at the house where this party shall be) have both tested positive for COVID. The word amongst those planning to attend is that they both probably got a false positive because that has happened with several other members of the community. 

Dumbasses. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/us/ozarks-missouri-party-coronavirus/index.html

4ac.gif

A person who partied in the Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri, area on Memorial Day weekend has tested positive for coronavirus -- and was possibly infectious over the holiday weekend.

The Boone County resident visited multiple bars on May 24 and 25, according to the Camden County Health Department. They "developed illness" on Sunday and were possibly infectious before then.

Video from that weekend shows partiers crowded together in a pool at Backwater Jacks Bar and Grill in Osage Beach on Saturday, according to Scott Pasmore, an anchor for CNN affiliate KTVK, who shot the footage.

Scott Pasmore✔@scottpasmoretv

No covid concerns at the lake of the ozarks #loto

10:15 PM - May 23, 2020

Twitter Ads info and privacy

40.8K people are talking about this

The partier went to Backwater Jacks between approximately 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. local time and again shortly before 10 p.m. local, according to health officials.

The person -- who was not identified by officials -- also went to Shady Gators and Lazy Gators and Buffalo Wild Wings, officials said.

About 12,700 people in Missouri have tested positive for coronavirus and about 730 have died from Covid-19 infection, according to state data.

There have been no cases reported in Camden County residents this week, officials said.

Officials release timeline of infected person's movements

Camden County health officials urged those who were in the area to monitor for symptoms. They released a timeline of the infected person's movements, including a list of the bars they visited:

Saturday, May 23

Backwater Jacks: between approximately 1 p.m.-5 p.m.
Shady Gators and Lazy Gators Pool: 5:40 p.m.-9 p.m.

Backwater Jacks: 9:40 p.m.-10 p.m.

Sunday, May 24

Buffalo Wild Wings: 1 p.m.-2 p.m.

Shady Gators: around 2:30 p.m. until around 6:30-7 p.m.

'Zero Ducks Given' party drew crowds

As part of Missouri's reopening plan announced earlier this month, state officials said restaurants may offer dining-in services but must adhere to social distancing and other precautionary public health measures. The gathering that weekend violated social distancing measures intended to limit the spread of Covid-19. Backwater Jacks maintains that no laws were broken

Before you go to the pool, beach or lake this summer, read this

The bar posted on Facebook that this was its launch of summer party called "Zero Ducks Given Pool Party" -- the third annual event. They advertised several DJs and bands performing throughout the event.

"The venue has worked with and taken the advice of government officials and management teams and will be following social distancing guidelines. Extra precautions and safety measures will be taken to provide a safe environment for you to enjoy the event," the bar said.

Medical staff was hired for the event, according to the bar, and anyone with a temperature of above 100.4 was denied access, they said. Hand sanitizer was also provided.

Coronavirus is not likely to spread in water, the CDC says, but it does spread through people in close proximity. Staying at least 6 feet from others is particularly important at pools or beaches because masks are impractical in water.

For example, several people who attended a high school swim party in neighboring Arkansas contracted Covid-19, Gov. Asa Hutchinson said Saturday.

Large turnout was expected

The Lake of the Ozarks expected a large turnout that weekend after getting a late start to the season because of the pandemic, according to CNN affiliate KTVI.

"It's supposed to be one of the biggest Memorial Day weekends we've seen at the lake here in years," Bill Morgan, manager of Robins Resort in Lake of the Ozarks, told KTVI that week.

Adam Kirk lives in Osage Beach, Missouri, and shot a time-lapse drone video that shows the amount of boat traffic on the Lake of the Ozarks that Saturday at 4:30 p.m.

"It definitely seems like more (traffic) than last year," he said. "It seems like everyone is having the same idea, to come to the lake to enjoy summer, because you can social distance at the same time."

CNN's Nick Watt, Emily Smith and Fenly Foxen contributed to this report.

14 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Monkeys "escape with Covid-19 samples"  after attacking a lab assistant. One of the primates was reportedly later spotted up in a tree, chewing one of the sample collection kits.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-monkeys-escape-with-covid-19-samples-after-attacking-lab-assistant-11996752

We're all gonna die. 

India's the FL of asia.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Terrell Hills Ok’ed a 200 person wedding here in the neighborhood at a family’s house. 

the granddad was a legit Longhorn legend and they are a really down to earth, kind family. The girl getting married is a UT grad and a super cool person as is her groom. Lots more that 200 people are probably going to show up.

so, a big ‘we’ll see what happens’ moment coming up. 

How did brides parents get tested, besides flying to Colorado since that is clearly the only way to get tested in San Antonio?

4 hours ago, justhookit said:

How did brides parents get tested, besides flying to Colorado since that is clearly the only way to get tested in San Antonio?

When the outbreak hit SA, this neighborhood had the most cases (17?) in the beginning. It was widely hypothesized that it was because so many in this community travel heavily so, lots of people here got tested early. 

well, the first tests were shit. There were many false positives and one or 2 false negatives, prompting some to hop on their private planes and go to CO for testing since it wasn’t on the coasts and was less densely populated. After that, they went to their ranch and will pop back into town for a night here or there.

22 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Monkeys "escape with Covid-19 samples"  after attacking a lab assistant. One of the primates was reportedly later spotted up in a tree, chewing one of the sample collection kits.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-monkeys-escape-with-covid-19-samples-after-attacking-lab-assistant-11996752

We're all gonna die. 

Only if someone fucks it.

....  Damn, we are all gonna die.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away