Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2020: the country goes from 2.5 months of stay away and social distance to riots, protests and screaming in a matter of 3 days. It’s probably just time to lift everything and return to flat out normal life

All healthcare whether nurse, long term worker, doc get tests regularly if they haven’t had it

The rest of us...fuck it

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

2020: the country goes from 2.5 months of stay away and social distance to riots, protests and screaming in a matter of 3 days. It’s probably just time to lift everything and return to flat out normal life

All healthcare whether nurse, long term worker, doc get tests regularly if they haven’t had it

The rest of us...fuck it

Normal life...  lol. Wow. 

like it or not, life is going to be forever different after this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

The rest of us...fuck it

I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I’m going to respectfully disagree with your analysis and plan forward. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Normal life...  lol. Wow. 

like it or not, life is going to be forever different after this.

Yeah how much different ?  This will affect us for a few years and then things will begin tp go back to normal. There may be some subs;t differences, what I don't know, But this isn't the reality we're gong to face going forward.

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

I thought the Philippines were the FL of Asia.

I was at a poker game one night and the only white guy, everyone else was Asian. We started talking about their heritages and the Filipino blurted out "We're the Mexico of Asia. We send all our workers to other countries to cut their lawns, build their buildings and be their maids"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah how much different ?  This will affect us for a few years and then things will begin tp go back to normal. There may be some subs;t differences, what I don't know, But this isn't the reality we're gong to face going forward.

Well, I guess one of us will be surprised in 5 years. 

39 minutes ago, XYZ said:

911 changed air travel and surveillance of people’s emails/phones/etc forever, so it's not too far fetched to think that this virus can also change some things forever.

there is actually an effort being launched right now with DOD support to help curb the unrest (no shit right?) that events like this cause.

if you see an article that uses the phrase “new normal” that’s the gov using the media to prep the public. No tinfoil hat

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

911 changed air travel and surveillance of people’s emails/phones/etc forever, so it's not too far fetched to think that this virus can also change some things forever.

That's the kind of thing I expect.  An additional layer of security at the airport, but our lives have gone back to pretty much normal. They will with this as well, and I don't think it'll be 5 years @Doc Reeves.    I expect some small differences, but nothing life altering.

Unless we get another round of infections, and deaths like Feb., and March we'll move back to general normalcy.  Crowds will gradually grow again, and we'll carry on with life about like they did after 1918.     

• Like 1

We as a country have short memories and are going to snap right back to past habits as soon as we have a vaccine. And I can't wait. Fuck this shit. The day I get a vaccine I'm going to eat at Pancho's and pick my food up by hand because fuck tongs, use their bathroom and only wash my hands for 19 seconds, then challenge all the cooks to a game of beer pong in the parking lot. No rinse cup. It's going to rule.

• Like 2

About 4% of the antibody tests done so far in Texas have come back positive.  That does not mean 4% of Texans have been exposed, it just means that 4% of those with access and desire to get tested have had a positive result.  That result is too low for us to be anywhere near herd immunity.

It would be nice if our health care folks were randomly testing people for antibodies so that we can get some idea of how many people might have been exposed.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

About 4% of the antibody tests done so far in Texas have come back positive.  That does not mean 4% of Texans have been exposed, it just means that 4% of those with access and desire to get tested have had a positive result.  That result is too low for us to be anywhere near herd immunity.

It would be nice if our health care folks were randomly testing people for antibodies so that we can get some idea of how many people might have been exposed.

As we learn more about the mortality rate, I think we should just start living again.  If you're under 80 or if you're not in a nursing home, the odds of you dying are very low.  Wear a mask indoors in public.  Wash hands.  But otherwise live life.

We will likely have more deaths from the shutdown than lives saved by the shutdown -- plenty of the people who have died of Covid would have died from Covid regardless of the shutdown.  Plus extra deaths.  Suicides.  People not going to their doctor.  People not being able to afford donating to nonprofits that save lives all over the world.

The stats seem to be suggesting the shutdown didn't do much to save lives.

52 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

My guess is that random samples of antibody tests are not being done because there is no confidence in the accuracy of the test.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

As we learn more about the mortality rate, I think we should just start living again.  If you're under 80 or if you're not in a nursing home, the odds of you dying are very low.  Wear a mask indoors in public.  Wash hands.  But otherwise live life.

We will likely have more deaths from the shutdown than lives saved by the shutdown -- plenty of the people who have died of Covid would have died from Covid regardless of the shutdown.  Plus extra deaths.  Suicides.  People not going to their doctor.  People not being able to afford donating to nonprofits that save lives all over the world.

The stats seem to be suggesting the shutdown didn't do much to save lives.

The stats don't suggest that at all. . . 

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Skimmed the article, but all I saw in pictures was kids wearing masks and distancing. And it’s only been a month. 
if that’s the plan here, what kind of pushback will the Karens and Constitution Carls give to that?

Sweden has had little to no mask wearing and fairly minimal distancing in schools.  See the YouTube BBC clip below.  Schools have not been a big infection vector there.  The evidence is pretty clear on this issue, across a number of countries.  

14 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Yeah, I thought I read somewhere that kids generally suffer very mild or no effects, and the viral load they put out is small.

It what I’ve seen as well. It’s why we are letting one son go back to baseball practice this week. 

Isn’t Sweden the big euro do nothing country?  For schools to be a larger vector than day to day interactions over there would really be something. 

43 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Skimmed the article, but all I saw in pictures was kids wearing masks and distancing. And it’s only been a month. 
if that’s the plan here, what kind of pushback will the Karens and Constitution Carls give to that?

Not much there to get infected.  Makers of Volvo, H&M, meatballs, clogs and Abba.  That's about it.

57 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Great. We're all gonna be killed by infected monkeys with all-day erections.  2020 just keeps getting more 2020.

Fuck Monkeys

band name or the group of officials calling an NBA game?

Well the shutdown didn't last long enough for me.  Sounds like my sister in laws wedding in two weeks is not only still going to happen but at full capacity because the venue told her that they won't be following any restrictions.

2 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Well the shutdown didn't last long enough for me.  Sounds like my sister in laws wedding in two weeks is not only still going to happen but at full capacity because the venue told her that they won't be following any restrictions.

Two weeks huh? Seems like the perfect amount of time.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away