Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Cases             Death

1.   USA          1,844,989    106,433    
2    Brazil        514,992        29,341 
3    Russia      414,878         4,855    
4    Spain        286,718        27,127        
5    UK             276,332       39,045    
6    Italy           233,197       33,475    

Seems legit

Edited by Neonmoon

23 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Cases             Death

Seems legit

It's Russia, they drink a lot of vodka.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Well guys. Today’s the day

CDC model from 3 weeks ago told us:

3000 deaths

200,000 cases

Worldometer 8700 cases, 300 deaths

Was that 3000 in just the US today plus 200k new cases?  JFC really?  Did we ever hit a day with more than 50k new cases?

• Fuck You 1

Guys. I’m not here to toot my own horn. But I’m about to get a hair cut for the first time since 1st week of March.  Things are getting pretty normal minus the buildings on fire around here 

Wife gave me a buzz along the sides and trimmed the top a few weeks ago..I think I’m going to be able to cut my salon time in half if she’s able to buzz sides and leave the top alone for every other visit from now on.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Cases             Death

Seems legit

They just toss them out the top floor of the hospital when they are about to die. I wonder how their defenestration deaths compare?

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Where's Ga. standing right now ?  We should be seeing upticks by now.

Too early to tell. We’ll know something in 2 weeks

edit - damnit stone oak!

Edited by UT_OB1

33 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Well guys. Today’s the day

CDC model from 3 weeks ago told us:

3000 deaths

200,000 cases

Worldometer 8700 cases, 300 deaths

models are just that models.   I'm sure if you looked up the range estimations they used it was cases(10-350,000) and deaths(1-6000) so they were close. the good news is the low side came in.

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Guys. I’m not here to toot my own horn. But I’m about to get a hair cut for the first time since 1st week of March.  Things are getting pretty normal minus the buildings on fire around here 

Who knew that we could burn the virus to the ground. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Mrs. Brat got her hair cut last week.

13 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Neckties are a disease vector? I hate wearing ties and handshakes while i’m eating, so I’d like to subscribe to your newsletter. Please elaborate.

Yes - neckties are fucking disgusting. 

13 hours ago, DaysOff said:
13 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Neckties are a disease vector? I hate wearing ties and handshakes while i’m eating, so I’d like to subscribe to your newsletter. Please elaborate.

Well if you dipped my pilot uniform tie in water you'd make a fine stew. How often do you really clean your ties?

First day of clinical rotations our attending showed some studies on ties from people who work in hospitals.  Yeah, we all pretty much quit ties right then and there.  

• Like 2

On 5/31/2020 at 11:38 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Think greenspoint is on the front lines trying to put an end to this in his bubble suit?

LOL, I never commented or backed a single model in this entire mess.  Not saying anyone said I did but I want to distance myself from that crowd.  And right about now I'm glad I didn't.  This shit was changing and fast plus many people smarter than myself said it would slow considerably in the summer - like every other coronavirus out there.  I think 3-4 weeks ago I was saying start to open shit up even here in Chicago.  But anytime you let politicians (both sides bro!)  do their thing, this is what you get.  For some weird reason Bolsanaro who was the antiGreenspoint has had a complete shitshow in Brazil...dumbassery all around. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hate said:

They are in the Minnesota Cops thread yelling about the protesters/rioters not social distancing.

I heard Adler was thanking the “protesters” on Saturday for wearing masks. Talk about clueless. But that should likely go on the circus of insane thread. Back on point Port A is full open, except for a surprising number of bars that are doing their best to obey the rules. I won’t mention any names but I have heard it’s hard to get a drink at 361.

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

First day of clinical rotations our attending showed some studies on ties from people who work in hospitals.  Yeah, we all pretty much quit ties right then and there.  

I haven’t worn any of my clip-on ties in 25 years.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Bet you thought I was kidding.... My collection courtesy of Walmart & Target.... took a couple of years to accumulate. Probably 3 or 4 potential pandemics right there.

spacer.png

• Like 2

they just cancelled our neighborhood 4th of July parade due to Covid.  We are going to forgo throwing our big block party as well. It will be interesting to see how Dallas and the burbs handle the 4th (assuming we make it that far).  Places like Kaboomtown in Addison would be a nightmare for spreading any Covid out there. [self update]: Kaboomtown has cancelled the watch party at the park.

csb, we drove to freaking northern Arkansas to pick up a puppy (13 hours round trip) and there are no fucks given anywhere in the entire state with the exception of gas station employees who were still wearing masks.  There was basically a biker/ATV rally going on in the gas station that we stopped at off of I-40.  at least everyone was ambivalent about us wearing masks.

I think short of NYC level of fatalities happening in other cities, no one is going to change course with reopening everything to full 100% in short order.

29 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

they just cancelled our neighborhood 4th of July parade due to Covid.  We are going to forgo throwing our big block party as well. It will be interesting to see how Dallas and the burbs handle the 4th (assuming we make it that far).  Places like Kaboomtown in Addison would be a nightmare for spreading any Covid out there. [self update]: Kaboomtown has cancelled the watch party at the park.

It seems to me like people started becoming materially more lax about social distancing around MDW and that has continued.   And now add in thousands protesting (or looting) without regard for COVID, and it seems like if this hasn't already spread significantly by the 4th of July weekend, then this shit just isn't going to spread (in the summer at least).  Which wouldn't really be surprising if this is in fact a highly seasonal virus as many predict.

• Like 4

On the livestock front, select boxed beef broke below 300 for the first time since Mid-April, and is on pace to be at normal values by the end of next week as well. Fresh pork is now below the initial surge as well, even with a slow start to the week on packing numbers. 

• Like 4

We sure could use a little good news today...  

What sucks is I think testing is going to go way down these next few days. Hope not but MN had 50% drop today(yesterday) in tests vs the last few weeks. I still have an idea what the numbers are if we put up regular test numbers

Testing also may go way up in a week or 2 after the first brunt of protestors get sick

2020 is one big mindfuck for the history books and it’s not even half way over yet, and there’s a thing going on in November

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What sucks is I think testing is going to go way down these next few days. Hope not but MN had 50% drop today(yesterday) in tests vs the last few weeks. I still have an idea what the numbers are if we put up regular test numbers

Testing also may go way up in a week or 2 after the first brunt of protestors get sick

2020 is one big mindfuck for the history books and it’s not even half way over yet, and there’s a thing going on in November

The city of Los Angeles closed all of their testing centers. Seems like a "fuck you" to the city.

Update 6/1/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Wuhan Flu Deaths - Cumulative total

3/27: 1 death

5/28: 92 deaths

5/29: 92 deaths

5/30: 93 deaths

5/31: 93 deaths

6/1:   93 deaths

Last Five Days: +1 

Travis County Health Care Stats: Current numbers

5/28: Hp - 88, ICU - 38, Vent - 22

5/29: Hp - 88, ICU - 38, Vent - 22

5/30: Hp - 79, ICU - 39, Vent - 19

5/31: Hp - 79, ICU - 34, Vent - 19

6/1:  Hp: - 97, ICU - 41, Vent - 21

Last Five Days: Hp: +9, ICU: +3, Vent: -1

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

US Death Total 6/1/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 50,502 (52.8%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           45,226

Total:                                                           95,728

Top 5: Highest State Death Totals:

NY: 23,959

NJ: 11,721

Mass: 7,035

Michigan: 5,334

Illinois: 5,270

(Pennsylvania: 5,152 out of top five)

Total: 53,319 (55.7% of total deaths)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/htmlview#gid=43566737

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

It seems to me like people started becoming materially more lax about social distancing around MDW and that has continued.   And now add in thousands protesting (or looting) without regard for COVID, and it seems like if this hasn't already spread significantly by the 4th of July weekend, then this shit just isn't going to spread (in the summer at least).  Which wouldn't really be surprising if this is in fact a highly seasonal virus as many predict.

yeah, that why June will be interesting to see how the numbers look and if they start increasing.  Even if they do increase, as long there are not bodies in the trees (never gets old) no one is going to want to change course.  

53 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Oh I’m sure that will get postponed indefinitely. Martial law lockdown and whatnot won’t allow for it logistically. Shame. 

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, I mean we are definitely stress testing the system with the protesting.  I think that we are going to see a spike as result of the protests over the rest of the month.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, I mean we are definitely stress testing the system with the protesting.  I think that we are going to see a spike as result of the protests over the rest of the month.

Almost certainly.  That said, the protesters are heavily loaded with the least vulnerable population (they skew young, AND there's some decent mask-wearing).  I think we'll see a bump in cases, but maybe not a big bump in hospitalizations and such.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away