Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

with all the protests and rioting/looting we should just go ahead and full open(except for nursing homes) and quit pretending like it matters anymore.

Agreed. 1/10th of the cases today to what the CDC predicted for early June

1/3rd of the deaths

Italy doctor thinks it’s losing its potency

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/06/02/claim-coronavirus-no-longer-exists-provokes-controversy.html
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

with all the protests and rioting/looting we should just go ahead and full open(except for nursing homes) and quit pretending like it matters anymore.

We are getting into July, and a lot of people are probably running out of money, or running low, only working part-time instead of full-time, etc. and I think next month is where evictions can come back into play in a lot of areas, so it's going to get even dicier.

And it'll be hot as fuck.  That won't help.

That singer Nick Cordero who had to have his leg amputated, among other things, is still fighting covid after two months.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/entertainment/nick-cordero-wife-told-to-say-goodbye/index.html

Nick Cordero's wife, Amanda Kloots, is not giving up on him.

Kloots took to Instagram on Wednesday to give fans another health update on her husband, who has been hospitalized at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles fighting an intense battle with coronavirus for more than two months.

"I've been told a couple times that he won't make it. I've been told to say goodbye," Kloots wrote alongside a photo of Cordero holding their 11-month-old son. "I've been told it would take a miracle. Well, I have faith. Faith that is small as a mustard seed sometimes, but that is all you need sometimes. He's still here and despite his odds gets slightly, slightly better every day. Where there is faith, there is hope. Where there is hope, there can be a miracle!"

8 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

On the livestock front, fresh beef prices continue to slide, and now are only about 30% ahead of normal, while packers are about back to 97% of normal capacity. Fresh pork is back to near normal seasonally, with about 93% capacity running now. I had one of my pork clients tell me he is finally shipping iso weans that were backed up three weeks, and that he wouldn't need to put any future hogs down. 

Is your name for the American Royal?  My slow ass brain is putting two and two together from your posts and name.  Man is that a great time to be in KC.  

6 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

My kids are going to Camp Ozark next weekend.  So they have to get a test.  Not sure whether it is a antibody test.  

Mine are going Third Session. They're getting physicals tomorrow. Guessing we'll line up COVID-19 tests for them in a couple of weeks. They were around me when I was probably potentially contagious -- be curious to see if they have antibodies.

Our friend who I likely got COVID from and his partner had a few of us over for dinner on Sun night. Apparently, he was COVID-positive case #1 for UT-Southwestern. He was placed on a vent and was sedated or in a coma for 10+ days. Sounds like he coded once and they brought him back. He's 59 and was in good shape before he got sick. Said he had pneumonia as a kid that apparently damaged part of one of his lungs and the virus went after that part of his lung hard-core. They gave him a couple different experimental drugs and the second one seems to have worked. He's been home for two months and is still struggling. Not sure he'll ever fully recover. Crazy all around.

• Like 1

I am proud how science has dropped everything in response to the virus. With their answers, customized containment plans can be designed and implemented to hopefully tamp down whatever is coming. 

Where are we on the timeline? I think we are still at the beginning. The public is tired of it. What's plan B?

Spoiler

The bending of the curve worked very well thanks to everyone. It bought some time to learn. To improve treatment and efficiently manage capacities. The ventilator shortage - and it was a shortage without distancing, isolating, washing hands, and laying low - has resolved (well done). We now know how to use the ventilators more efficiently, so we can use state of the art ventilators effectively. The other ventilators are useful but the new machines are wizards. 

We are losing our elderly and older Americans to the virus that will probably spike again. We are better prepared, but the deaths will continue. We should remember the generation dying now. Many of them were young in the depths of the Great Depression and WWII. Revelations and end times as a kid is scary. 

This is a resilient generation dying. We need to protect them, honor them, and learn from them. This is not going to be a soft economic landing on the present trajectory. They endured through what we might live in the near future. They survived a lot in their young years.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Is your name for the American Royal?  My slow ass brain is putting two and two together from your posts and name.  Man is that a great time to be in KC.  

It’s from the baseball team named after the American Royal, but I’ve been to the American Royal a time or two. 

Broke down and ordered a set of hair clippers off of Amazon last weekend. They showed up yesterday and I did the deed and now I may never go back to a barbershop again. Too easy to do a straight up old white dude haircut. Besides, my old barber was forced into retirement this time last year and I've been shopping my head around ever since and not finding anyone I particularly liked. COVID bonus? 

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Broke down and ordered a set of hair clippers off of Amazon last weekend. They showed up yesterday and I did the deed and now I may never go back to a barbershop again. Too easy to do a straight up old white dude haircut. Besides, my old barber was forced into retirement this time last year and I've been shopping my head around ever since and not finding anyone I particularly liked. COVID bonus? 

Well yeah, anybody can do a high, and tight with a #5 or 6.....  the other bright spot is it leaves more money for drinking...

Edited by Onboard 2.0

Just found out my neighbor has it and has been self quarantined for the last 20 days trying to get over covid. His wife also go it. She was on a ventilator and it didn't look good. Switched to an ECMO machine as a last ditch effort and she has somehow made a miraculous recovery. She's probably late 50's to early 60's, no clue on health conditions. 

Edited by StruggleBus
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

I am proud how science has dropped everything in response to the virus. With their answers, customized containment plans can be designed and implemented to hopefully tamp down whatever is coming. 

Where are we on the timeline? I think we are still at the beginning. The public is tired of it. What's plan B?

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

The bending of the curve worked very well thanks to everyone. It bought some time to learn. To improve treatment and efficiently manage capacities. The ventilator shortage - and it was a shortage without distancing, isolating, washing hands, and laying low - has resolved (well done). We now know how to use the ventilators more efficiently, so we can use state of the art ventilators effectively. The other ventilators are useful but the new machines are wizards. 

We are losing our elderly and older Americans to the virus that will probably spike again. We are better prepared, but the deaths will continue. We should remember the generation dying now. Many of them were young in the depths of the Great Depression and WWII. Revelations and end times as a kid is scary. 

This is a resilient generation dying. We need to protect them, honor them, and learn from them. This is not going to be a soft economic landing on the present trajectory. They endured through what we might live in the near future. They survived a lot in their young years.

the answer to any timeline question.....Italy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Just found out my neighbor has it and has been self quarantined for the last 20 days trying to get over covid. His wife also go it. She was on a ventilator and it didn't look good. Switched to an ECMO machine as a last ditch effort and she has somehow made a miraculous recovery. She's probably late 50's to early 60's, no clue on health conditions. 

That seems like a nightmare situation: to have to quarantine and your spouse is clinging to life in a hospital and you can’t be there with her.

22 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Got you. And yeah, that makes sense. Like you, I don't take much stock in the number of cases as it's a proxy for a lot of things (mostly number of tests), but deaths and hospitalizations are worth paying attention to. I wouldn't expect to see a bunch of relatively young and in-shape laborers to spike either of those numbers, but if they are spreading it to family and friends, they could definitely be contributing to the spread. Thanks for clarifying.

We've been very lucky in our company so far.  While we've had 2 test positive, and one held back from work due to exposure, it could be much worse.  We can still pretty much practice social distancing with few exceptions.  The only spreading so far has been between the workers and their families. That surprises me inasmuch because all of the guys with the kids exception of one share motel rooms.  We have made sanitization a priority, using alcohol soaked towels, hand sanitizer etc, but I'm still very surprised we haven't been hit much, much harder.

Just now, SHOOTER12 said:

We've been very lucky in our company so far.  While we've had 2 test positive, and one held back from work due to exposure, it could be much worse.  We can still pretty much practice social distancing with few exceptions.  The only spreading so far has been between the workers and their families. That surprises me inasmuch because all of the guys with the kids exception of one share motel rooms.  We have made sanitization a priority, using alcohol soaked towels, hand sanitizer etc, but I'm still very surprised we haven't been hit much, much harder.

I have a client that's set up similarly to yours, although sounds like bigger. And they're seeing the same thing. About 1,000 revenue generating positions that work outside all day then share hotel rooms at night. Out of 1,000 of these guys, they've only had a couple test positive, which is kind of staggering. They spent a bunch of time building out triage and coverage plans and it hasn't impacted them nearly at all, except that they're much more profitable because their new-hire employee turnover has gone way down now that everyone needs jobs.

• Like 1

Update 6/4/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Kung Flu Deaths - Cumulative total

3/27: 1 death

5/31: 93 deaths

6/1:   93 deaths

6/2:   93 deaths

6/3:  93 deaths

6/4: 95 deaths

Last Five Days: +2

Travis County Health Care Stats: Current numbers

5/31: Hp - 79, ICU - 34, Vent - 19

6/1:  Hp: - 97, ICU - 41, Vent - 21

6/2:  Hp - 97, ICU - 41, Vent - 21

6/3: Hp - 93, ICU - 41, Vent - 21

6/4: Hp - 91, ICU - 38, Vent - 20

Last Five Days: Hp: +12, ICU: +4,Vent: +1

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

US Death Total 6/3/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 52,121 (53.3%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           45,690

Total:                                                           97,810

Top 5: Highest State Death Totals:

NY: 24,023

NJ: 11,880

Mass: 7,152

Pennsylvania: 5,667

Michigan: 5,334

(Dropped out Illinois: 5,270)

Total: 54,056 (55.3% of total deaths)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/htmlview#gid=43566737

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away