Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

11 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

2.5 million jobs added in May. That’s a good sign.

Well considering we shedded like 30 million jobs in a couple weeks, it literally could not have gotten worse. Over half were restaurant jobs alone 

Edited by Js1

Just now, Buzzrock said:

Ok Captain Silver Lining

I mean the natural consequence of restaurants and store reopening = jobs. It’s not out of left field.  The robots haven’t taken over....yet. That’s for July, I assume. 

58 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well considering we shedded like 30 million jobs in a couple weeks, it literally could not have gotten worse. Over half were restaurant jobs alone 

Estimates were that jobs would be down another 7.5 million but instead were up 2.5 million.  So it literally could have been worse.

• Like 5

Guest Lobo

Not really, no.  You can only shut down so many restaurants in this country.  Because...you know...there are only so many restaurants.  

But we can't talk politics on here.  Job losses are political.  I guess.  According to fucking morons.  I would think most of the job losses in the hospitality space were due to a virus that caused us to have to shut down said hospitality businesses.  But when the fuck has science ever had a place on this thread of bullshit and hyper-sensitivity?  

I'm sure I'll get suspended again for bringing up queer-ass science 'n shit.  

Edited by Lobo

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Not really, no.  You can only shut down so many restaurants in this country.  Because...you know...there are only so many restaurants.  

But we can't talk politics on here.  Job losses are political.  I guess.  According to fucking morons.  I would think most of the job losses in the hospitality space were due to a virus that caused us to have to shut down said hospitality businesses.  But when the fuck has science ever had a place on this thread of bullshit and hyper-sensitivity?  

spacer.png

38 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I mean the natural consequence of restaurants and store reopening = jobs. It’s not out of left field.  The robots haven’t taken over....yet. That’s for July, I assume. 

Yeah sucks, there should be millions more jobs being lost dammit, that make you happy ?

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

I’ve read this 3 times. I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

I wish I was high.  Was merely attempting to suggest that job losses/job gains are probably more due to the virus/reopening than they are of political machinations.  

The invisible virus and the invisible hand may have had more to do with this than any elected official. 

My point is the numbers are incredibly misleading.  Anybody who thinks we're back to top-notch is as insane as I am.

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

the science is what got us into this mess.

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

the science is what got us into this mess.

I thought it was the Chinese, lack of school prayer, and eating the bats under the Congress Avenue bridge?  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I thought it was the Chinese, lack of school prayer, and eating the bats under the Congress Avenue bridge?  

good point.  I did forget to add Fuck China.   I'll have to think on the lack of school prayer though...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

My point is the numbers are incredibly misleading.  Anybody who thinks we're back to top-notch is as insane as I am.

Youre arguing with yourself. No one thinks we're back to "top-notch" (I see you bringing that science lingo)

Guest Lobo

Top-notch is an economic term.  Coined by the great F.A. Hayek, whom I wrote about for my Senior Thesis.  

Levity aside, lingo I've heard to describe our current economic situation are "great numbers by any standard", "unbelievable", "job surge", "incredible period of growth", "joyous", "stunning", and "amazing."  So yeah top-notch was hyperbolic.  I should have said "Anybody who thinks we're joyously stunning" is as insane as I am.  

Interesting sidenote though---the China task Force formed by House Republicans---it will be releasing their full report by end of next week according to Chair McCaul (noCR)...but the best part is that it's being translated fully into Mandarin and distributed inside China (as long as it will last before the party cracks down on it).  But intermediary allies of ours (if we have any left) will be distributing it physically inside the borders as well as they are there on other business.  

Edited by Lobo

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Levity aside, lingo I've heard to describe our current economic situation are "great numbers by any standard", "unbelievable", "job surge", "incredible period of growth", "joyous", "stunning", and "amazing."  So yeah top-notch was hyperbolic.  I should have said "Anybody who thinks we're joyously stunning" is as insane as I am.  

Relative to expectations, those descriptors are fair. If you expected to eat a shit filled sandwich for the 90th day in a row and you got a small pack of cold chicken nuggets instead, how you gonna react? 

Guest Lobo

I'm gonna react like a reasonable person and request additional packets of BBQ sauce.  And if I'm charged extra, because of the economics of it, I'm gonna lose my shit! 

Anyone else in charge of deciding when and how to reopen your office? It’s a nightmare. We keep changing our minds and plans. I have people that strongly want to get back and others that don’t want to return until there is a vaccine. Then many more like me that keep going back and forth. We can’t figure out how to reconfigure desks/offices more appropriately, particularly without know how many to plan for. We also don’t want to inadvertently apply peer pressure to either group. Presumably the same problem is trying to be worked out by millions of companies around the globe and Ive yet to see a good solution.

We had a small exec team meeting in office for first time and it was weird. Nothing feels right. For example, I sneeze several times a day (probably allergies) and I couldn’t help but wonder if I/they would even know what to do if one of us did. Fortunately none of us did, but what a fucking strange thing to even have to think about. Seriously, what do you do? Act like nothing just happened? End the meeting? Perpetrator goes back in to wipe down? Wtf.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Anyone else in charge of deciding when and how to reopen your office? It’s a nightmare. We keep changing our minds and plans. I have people that strongly want to get back and others that don’t want to return until there is a vaccine. Then many more like me that keep going back and forth. We can’t figure out how to reconfigure desks/offices more appropriately, particularly without know how many to plan for. We also don’t want to inadvertently apply peer pressure to either group. Presumably the same problem is trying to be worked out by millions of companies around the globe and Ive yet to see a good solution.

We had a small exec team meeting in office for first time and it was weird. Nothing feels right. For example, I sneeze several times a day (probably allergies) and I couldn’t help but wonder if I/they would even know what to do if one of us did. Fortunately none of us did, but what a fucking strange thing to even have to think about. Seriously, what do you do? Act like nothing just happened? End the meeting? Perpetrator goes back in to wipe down? Wtf.

I'd say, keep the curbside pickup going for a while, advertise the drive thru (you can pay some kid to stand out by the street and wave a sign for that), stay at 25% in the dining area, reinforce the sneeze guards, and don't bring back the chocolate fountain for a while.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Hate said:

It seems like people are damn near done with masks. I had to make a quick run to the store this afternoon and it was maybe 10% of the people wearing masks.

We are starting to see people let their kids use all of the playground equipment.   I get it, but we are still helping an elderly neighbor and the inlaws.  

This thread is close to merging with the Minneapolis thread.

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/participants-of-large-gatherings-encouraged-to-sign-up-for-free-covid-19-tests-whether-or-not-they-have-symptoms/

As more people have been gathering across Austin — whether as parts of protests or as Texas begins loosening restrictions on open businesses — Austin Public Health is encouraging those who have not been able to practice social distancing to sign up for free COVID-19 testing.

Those wanting tests will also not need to be exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 in order to be tested at APH’s drive-thru site, a new development.

“We have all seen images of people across the community participating in protests, attending concerts, and interacting with more and more people,” APH Director Stephanie Hayden said. “We recognize the importance of the moment we are in right now.  If you are engaging in protests, please take care of yourself and each other. If you have attended a gathering with more than 10 people, APH wants to ensure you and your family members remain healthy.”

APH is still recommending residents observe safety and hygiene measures, like wearing face coverings in public, washing hands often and staying home when you’re sick.

“Public masking is helpful to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, but it is not a substitute for social distancing. Social distancing is impossible in many instances of large gatherings,” said Dr. Mark Escott, Interim Austin-Travis County Health Authority. “We want to make sure that all individuals involved in large gatherings over the past two weeks have access to free testing through Austin Public Health.”

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

Top-notch is an economic term.  Coined by the great F.A. Hayek, whom I wrote about for my Senior Thesis.  

Interesting sidenote though---the China task Force formed by House Republicans---it will be releasing their full report by end of next week according to Chair McCaul (noCR)...but the best part is that it's being translated fully into Mandarin and distributed inside China (as long as it will last before the party cracks down on it).  But intermediary allies of ours (if we have any left) will be distributing it physically inside the borders as well as they are there on other business.  

And all along I thought it was Judge Smails 

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

Open all the windows, turn on fans and crank the AC. Sneeze, cough and fart all you want. 

So is this the result of the protests, the relaxed openings, or whynotboth.gif

Travis County health officials have seen a sharp increase in the number of positive COVID-19 cases over the past seven days. With 440 new positive cases reported from Saturday, May 30 through Friday, June 5, the number represents the biggest seven-day increase in positive cases since the outbreak began.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away