Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Jesus dude, where did you learn how to read context?  I was playing off Boom's comment right above mine.  And I purposely used the numbers 100 and 130 because they physically appear to look like "130%" which was the real data point.  Obviously the Covid-19 numbers aren't actually 100 and 130, the simple numbers that looked like 130% were chosen to further emphasize the stupidity of the "stand-in" person that Boom, myself, Calihorn, and others were joking about.  I mean, when I rolled into the Seinfeld bit about how we need to slow down testing and hospitalizations, you didn't pick up on the sarcasm of the whole post?  You thought that was my honest intellectual analysis?  Or the "Nah man, we get it.  Easy..."  

How is it people can lay on sarcasm so fucking thick here and some people just don't get it (I am first to admit I've made mistakes on reading tone accurately on here, but sarcasm isn't the driver...it's usually something else)?  But some national figure makes a completely deadpan comment that doesn't go over well, and millions say, "Ha, sarcasm!  I understood his reference."

If you didn't read into the insult that I was casting at people who don't understand covid maths nor sarcasm in my 100/130 post, you may be part of the problem.  

Edited by Lobo

5 hours ago, Calihorn said:

It amazes me the ability people have to deny reality

3 hours ago, B00M said:

You should probably just say they've more than doubled because anyone denying we have a problem at the moment, in Texas, doesn't do math good.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Nah man, we get.  There were 100 people in the hospital and now there's 130.  Easy. 

When read together, it's obvious to everyone but the most vein followers of deceit.  "Nah man, we get it.  Then I use the numbers 100 and 130 for 130% despite them not being anywhere close to the actual numbers. And close with the type of arrogant "Easy" that a Dunning-Krueger sufferer with access to a voting machine would say.  I admit, tone is not always clear but how you considered this a serious analytical post is rather indicative of how you probably look at humor and think our nation's leaders are speaking tongue-in-cheek most of the time.  If you rolled past my post to get to your quote, you also see South Austin saying, "I read this in Jerry Seinfeld's voice"...obviously an indication that we were having a serious mathematical discussion.  You probably didn't like Seinfeld, you seem like more of a "Friends" guy anyway.  /end-diatribe 

So over the last week in Travis County, covid cases went up 147 to 418. 

Current hospitalization went from 111 to 172.

ICU admissions for Covid in Travis County went up from 48 to 71.

However, the ventilator stats have been pretty steady - 24 a week ago, to 26 last night.

So things are not a complete shitshow just yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Jesus dude, where did you learn how to read context?  I was playing off Boom's comment right above mine.  And I purposely used the numbers 100 and 130 because they physically appear to look like "130%" which was the real data point.  Obviously the Covid-19 numbers aren't actually 100 and 130, the simple numbers that looked like 130% were chosen to further emphasize the stupidity of the "stand-in" person that Boom, myself, Calihorn, and others were joking about.  I mean, when I rolled into the Seinfeld bit about how we need to slow down testing and hospitalizations, you didn't pick up on the sarcasm of the whole post?  You thought that was my honest intellectual analysis?  Or the "Nah man, we get it.  Easy..."  

How is it people can lay on sarcasm so fucking thick here and some people just don't get it (I am first to admit I've made mistakes on reading tone accurately on here, but sarcasm isn't the driver...it's usually something else)?  But some national figure makes a completely deadpan comment that doesn't go over well, and millions say, "Ha, sarcasm!  I understood his reference."

If you didn't read into the insult that I was casting at people who don't understand covid maths nor sarcasm in my 100/130 post, you may be part of the problem.  

a 130% increase is going from 100 to 230. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

So over the last week in Travis County, covid cases went up 147 to 418. 

Current hospitalization went from 111 to 172.

ICU admissions for Covid in Travis County went up from 48 to 71.

However, the ventilator stats have been pretty steady - 24 a week ago, to 26 last night.

So things are not a complete shitshow just yet.

I thought I read that ventilators weren't recommended anymore, but it seems like there's a new story out every week or two contracting the old one so I don't pretend that I can keep up with the latest

1 hour ago, Scary Stranger said:

Wait.  You actually read his posts?  I started just scrolling through months ago,

Surprised it took you that long.  I'll give you credit though, if it takes a jab at me to finally read a post of yours that didn't contain some humblebrag or trip you had to cancel, it was all worth it.  Keep on keeping on.  

I dug down to find what this study said. This was at the top of the study used. Lol 

bioRxiv is receiving many new papers on coronavirus SARS-CoV-2.   A reminder: these are preliminary reports that have not been peer-reviewed. They should not be regarded as conclusive, guide clinical practice/health-related behavior, or be reported in news media as established information.

12 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

If by “interesting,” you mean “provably wrong and complete horseshit,” then I agree with you.  

According to the latest immunological and serological studies, the overall lethality of Covid-19 (IFR) is

about 0.1% and thus in the range of a strong seasonal influenza (flu).

That’s crap. 0.16% of all (not just infected — ALL) New York State residents died of COVID since January. In New Jersey, the number is 0.14%.  A 0.1% IFR is impossible given those actual statistics. Unless, you know, 160% of New Yorkers and 140% of New Jersey-ers (?) have been infected.  

The Spanish antibody study estimated an IFR of 1.15%

But nice bullshit article nonetheless.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

I can think of like, 6 people on this site this could be

Was  this big a deal made when stores started putting up signs that said, "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service?"  How is a mask any different?  Someone should kick his ass.

Edited by PhillyD
Because I can't fucking type
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, dcar00 said:

no shit.  lets see where we are in 2 weeks...Italy!  people are going to die and I was already on record saying 80-120K would die so I never said it was no issue.  It will be more than 120K.  multiple people up thread said it would be fantastic to keep it under 200K.  I grant that I didn't expect NY/NJ/Mass to be such a complete shitshow for so long. what a disaster those guys were.

I've monitored this thread for a long time, waited for the right time to chime in, your commented was it.

So I live in the Boston area, and I will admit, it blew up here. But as someone that has spent the bulk of their life of the Austin (and understands Texas living) and now lives up here, the way of life is very different. The bulk of people in Texas drive everywhere and are isolated, they cross paths with people at work, stores, restaurants and bars. The same is up here in the Boston area, but instead of driving a lot of our population (around 30%, includes me often) takes some form public transportation. Our public transit mixes all walks of life, janitors, doctors, lawyers, waitstaff, etc, all in a confined space. This adds a completely different germ vector that doesn't exist in any city in Texas. The same can be said of NY and NJ.

Again I agree, things blew up here, but it was also the start of everything. Few people in the country really knew what was going on or what to expect. Despite thing starting to warm up in early March (the first and second weeks), we wouldn't shut down until the 23rd, two more weeks! And our cases continued to rise, they would rise for another month, when cases really peaked in daily reporting on April 23th, just over 3000 cases (there have been 2 bigger days that would follow, but they included a lot of back data and corrected data, so they aren't accurate daily counts).

And I would note this about our growth, we hit that peak and had around 50,000 cases. We've since been going down, but math tells you, if you went up that much, you have to come back and yeah, that number has more than doubled, we sit at 107,000 now (congrats for passing us BTW).

I watch the Texas numbers like a hawk because I have family that lives there, my parents live there. I would say this, you want to talk about a shitshow, it's having days where you are hitting a new daily record for cases now 4 months into this when we have a better grasp on how to handle this. All this information and Texas still is blowing up (and worst part, they aren't the only one).

I am worried for down there, because as I noted above the way this disease works, the numbers you have going up, they are the same numbers you're going to have coming down. Texas is over 111,000 cases now? That means expect the state to hit MINIMUM 222,000. And that's if things turn down tomorrow (spoiler alert, they aren't). Something has to change the trend and the sooner the better, otherwise Texas hitting something like 400,000 cases isn't going to be out of the question (and that was a number I once thought was crazy talk).

And doubling the numbers for the crawl down? It also applies to deaths. When I see 120,000 deaths in the US (and still trending up), it saddens me to realize this is going to kill well over 300,000 people in this country.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Imagine fighting someone to get into a Walmart.

Imagine someone fighting to enter a wal-Mart being permitted to cast a vote in November?
A holiday tradition in my family is watching footage of people barreling into nationwide wal-marts for thanksgiving door buster sales.  This guy seems ten times as dumb and he didn’t even walk out with a new TV.   It should just be a law, you get Forcibly removed from a Wal-Mart, you don’t get to vote for a whole year.  

4 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I've monitored this thread for a long time, waited for the right time to chime in, your commented was it.

So I live in the Boston area, and I will admit, it blew up here. But as someone that has spent the bulk of their life of the Austin (and understands Texas living) and now lives up here, the way of life is very different. The bulk of people in Texas drive everywhere and are isolated, they cross paths with people at work, stores, restaurants and bars. The same is up here in the Boston area, but instead of driving a lot of our population (around 30%, includes me often) takes some form public transportation. Our public transit mixes all walks of life, janitors, doctors, lawyers, waitstaff, etc, all in a confined space. This adds a completely different germ vector that doesn't exist in any city in Texas. The same can be said of NY and NJ.

Again I agree, things blew up here, but it was also the start of everything. Few people in the country really knew what was going on or what to expect. Despite thing starting to warm up in early March (the first and second weeks), we wouldn't shut down until the 23rd, two more weeks! And our cases continued to rise, they would rise for another month, when cases really peaked in daily reporting on April 23th, just over 3000 cases (there have been 2 bigger days that would follow, but they included a lot of back data and corrected data, so they aren't accurate daily counts).

And I would note this about our growth, we hit that peak and had around 50,000 cases. We've since been going down, but math tells you, if you went up that much, you have to come back and yeah, that number has more than doubled, we sit at 107,000 now (congrats for passing us BTW).

I watch the Texas numbers like a hawk because I have family that lives there, my parents live there. I would say this, you want to talk about a shitshow, it's having days where you are hitting a new daily record for cases now 4 months into this when we have a better grasp on how to handle this. All this information and Texas still is blowing up (and worst part, they aren't the only one).

I am worried for down there, because as I noted above the way this disease works, the numbers you have going up, they are the same numbers you're going to have coming down. Texas is over 111,000 cases now? That means expect the state to hit MINIMUM 222,000. And that's if things turn down tomorrow (spoiler alert, they aren't). Something has to change the trend and the sooner the better, otherwise Texas hitting something like 400,000 cases isn't going to be out of the question (and that was a number I once thought was crazy talk).

And doubling the numbers for the crawl down? It also applies to deaths. When I see 120,000 deaths in the US (and still trending up), it saddens me to realize this is going to kill well over 300,000 people in this country.

I agree the subway and mass transit was a huge huge problem.  it needed to be shut down and the nursing home decision just exacerbated the situation exponentially.

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I agree the subway and mass transit was a huge huge problem.  it needed to be shut down and the nursing home decision just exacerbated the situation exponentially.

Jesus fuck. Back to shutting down subways? Be better, dumbass

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Jesus fuck. Back to shutting down subways? Be better, dumbass

Fuck you are so fucking dumb.  I'm agreeing with the guy that lives there that a huge part of the problem was the mass transit.  He's actually there and has first hand account of what was causing the massive outlier.  well then shut down the fucking tubular petri dishes or at least don't send covid positive patients to nursing homes.

Fuck you are so fucking dumb.  I'm agreeing with the guy that lives there that a huge part of the problem was the mass transit.  He's actually there and has first hand account of what was causing the massive outlier.  well then shut down the fucking tubular petri dishes or at least don't send covid positive patients to nursing homes.

You were replying to a dude that lives in Boston. achooloco lives in NYC. So do I. Shutting the Subway in NYC means essential workers can’t get to work. It’s a non starter. So STFU about things you know NOTHING about.
  • Like 4

If it's not peer reviewed, it doesn't follow the scientific method and is the equivalent of a Facebook anti vax mommy blog.

What the fuck happened to you?

The fact that some are sounding the alarms about cases rising to me, is crazy. The deaths simply aren’t following the last 4 weeks worth of 20k/ day cases like they did for late March and early April. They’re down probably 70%+ since our April peak. I’ll admit if we come close to what the CDC projected back in early May that in early June their model says 200k cases a day, I’d become concerned. And by close I mean multiple 50k cases a day in a row.

I’d wager the ones getting infected this go around in SC, Florida, TX, AZ aren’t LTC residents but in fact ones we want to get infected. The more young people infected and they know about it...the better we are in the future in terms of a fall wave. Are hospitalizations a concern? Yea. Do I think it’s certain death if you’re admitted? No. I believe doctors know much more and can increase survival vs 2 months ago.

Missing out on all of the data we could’ve had January-April due to selective testing has been proven costly. That’s what happened to me

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

You were replying to a dude that lives in Boston. achooloco lives in NYC. So do I. Shutting the Subway in NYC means essential workers can’t get to work. It’s a non starter. So STFU about things you know NOTHING about.

I realize that workers in NYC/NJ/Mass use the subway/mass transit to get to work and it can't function without the subway.  everyone is hyperventilating over everything we must do/OMG people are so stupid.  well running a subway/getting on mass transit was going to cause additional cases/deaths.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, DaysOff said:

If it's not peer reviewed, it doesn't follow the scientific method and is the equivalent of a Facebook anti vax mommy blog.

What the fuck happened to you?

Yeah.....that "Swiss Doctor" piece.....Jesus Christ.  At first, I thought it was going to be 3-4 points, which I quickly realized were easily debunked garbage....then I realized that it went on, and on.  And each point I checked...also debunked garbage.  What a shittacular citation.  Truly one of the dumbest things posted around here in quite some time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Almost all hospitals in Texas Med Center on trauma-divert due to lack of icu beds. 

Can you go ahead and declare 'ballgame' so we can ensure things turn around over the next few weeks?  Thanks.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Is there a certain time in the day that the Texas dept of health releases daily numbers for the previous day? Or do they just do it on a county by county basis?

Worldometer has Texas updated but just certain counties have reported so far.

DHS website with excel spreadsheets is usually updated around 5 pm

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away