Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Update 6/23/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Kung Flu Deaths - Cumulative total

3/27: 1 death

6/14: 104 deaths

6/15: 104 deaths

6/16: 106 deaths

6/17:  108 deaths

6/18:  108 deaths

6/19: 108 deaths

6/20: 109 deaths

6/21: 110 deaths

6/22: 112 deaths

6/23: 114 deaths

Last 10 Days: +10

Travis County Health Care Stats: Current numbers

6/14: Hp - 129, ICU - 52, Vent - 29

6/15: Hp - 142, ICU - 52, Vent - 31

6/16: HP - 158, ICU - 59, Vent - 28

6/17: Hp - 173, ICU - 63, Vent - 26

6/18: Hp - 173, ICU - 63, Vent - 26

6/19: Hp - 173, ICU - 64, Vent - 27

6/20: Hp - 173, ICU- 64, Vent - 27

6/21: Hp - 173, ICU - 64, Vent - 27

6/22: Hp - 181, ICU - 86, Vent - 32

6/23: Hp - 236, ICU - 94, Vent - 34

Last 10 Days: Hp: +107, ICU: +42,Vent: +5

Ten Day Average HP (rolling): 171.1  

10 Day Avg on 6/11 - 91.5

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

US Death Total 6/24/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 61,077 (54.4%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           51,300

Total:                                                         109,793

Top 5: Highest State Death Totals:

NY: 24,766

NJ: 12,995

Mass: 7,890

Pennsylvania: 6,515

Illinois: 6,580

Total: 56,426 (53.5% of total deaths)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/htmlview#gid=43566737

Edited by ChickenSandwich

21 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Travis County Health Care Stats: Current numbers

6/14: Hp - 129, ICU - 52, Vent - 29

6/15: Hp - 142, ICU - 52, Vent - 31

6/16: HP - 158, ICU - 59, Vent - 28

6/17: Hp - 173, ICU - 63, Vent - 26

6/18: Hp - 173, ICU - 63, Vent - 26

6/19: Hp - 173, ICU - 64, Vent - 27

6/20: Hp - 173, ICU- 64, Vent - 27

6/21: Hp - 173, ICU - 64, Vent - 27

6/22: Hp - 181, ICU - 86, Vent - 32

6/23: Hp - 236, ICU - 94, Vent - 34

55 jump? wow

20 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Just reading about the Texas reopening from afar, that is what I thought. Not even getting into what could open in each phase:

Phase 1 was announced April 27 and openings started May 1

Phase 2 was announced May 18 with changes going int effect the same day

Phase 3 was announce June 3, effective that day.

It was basically 2.5 weeks between phases, not even allowing for a trend to be witnessed. And it very much felt unplanned, just "Texas is reopening and phase 1 starts in 4 days!"

On top of the rush in which opening happened, everything allowed to open in phases 1 and 2 were indoor activities (restaurants, malls, stores, movie theaters, BARS, Petri dishes!

Compare and contrast to Mass:

Plan to reopen announce April 28th

May 11th it was announced to be in 4 phases, with Phase 1 starting a week later (May 18) and implemented slowly.

Phase 2 was split into two steps, Step 1 started June 8, Step 2 started YESTERDAY. Phase 3 is AT A MINIMUM going to be 3 weeks from now, putting it mid July.

The whole plan was made to watch the numbers, see if the changes made started to impact our spread and increase it again.

Time will tell if the Mass approach works, but I can say that given what we are seeing from Texas, and if you track the cases against those dates, it really feels like they did rush opening.

They’re also lucky a less deadly virus is spreading.  I can guarantee you if this was what we were seeing in early March it would be MUCH worse.  

It spreads almost as easily but just isn’t killing people in the same numbers.  I know plenty of people in Texas who still think this is all BS.  

Darwin bout to do some work as we approach the fall...and if you don’t bend the curve going into fall, oh man.  

14 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It spreads almost as easily but just isn’t killing people in the same numbers.

I'm nowhere near proficient in epidemiology and infectious disease, so my question is whether it is common for a virus to mutate to be less lethal. There are obvious evolutionary advantages to it, being that it allows the host to spread more. 

A hope that I have, albeit a morbid one, is that the virus has burned through those most susceptible to infection and fatal outcomes to that specific virus and is now acting more like a common human coronavirus rather that SARS or MERS.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/24/new-york-new-jersey-and-connecticut-impose-14-day-quarantine-on-travelers-from-coronavirus-hotspot-states.html

Travelers arriving in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut from regions with spiking Covid-19 infections rates will be subject to a 14-day quarantine, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday. 

As of Wednesday, the states that are above that level are Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Washington, Utah and Texas, he said.

Cuomo said the infection rate is based on the number of infections per 100,000 residents on a seven-day rolling average.

Sorry if this has already been posted, but what does hospitalization without a ventilator typically look like?  Are the patients hooked up to an IV?  One some sort of treatment med?  What's the average duration of stay?  Do they get ice cream? 
I had the same question in my mind yesterday. IV and maybe oxygen are the only two things I could think of.

This cracks me up.  Yes, we are opened back up, but are nowhere near 100% normal.  Does he know how many sporting events have been cancelled?  How many millions in attendance we are off from normal?  No events with fan attendance even on the horizon.  How many other entertainment venues are shut down for concerts, plays, etc.  How many conferences are cancelled?  We are talking billions of interactions that are not happening.  Airline traffic is still down to like 20% of last year.  I guess some movie theaters are open.  I'd love to see how pathetic those numbers are.  Youth baseball is happening and I'm coaching in a mask while fan attendance is limited to 2 people per child with no concessions open and bathroom use discouraged.  That's not normal.  Nowhere is normal.

I don't know how you put a percentage on "normal" but I'd say any reasonable measurement would not even have us at 80% normal.

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Like 7

34 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

This cracks me up.  Yes, we are opened back up, but are nowhere near 100% normal.  Does he know how many sporting events have been cancelled?  How many millions in attendance we are off from normal?  No events with fan attendance even on the horizon.  How many other entertainment venues are shut down for concerts, plays, etc.  How many conferences are cancelled?  We are talking billions of interactions that are not happening.  Airline traffic is still down to like 20% of last year.  I guess some movie theaters are open.  I'd love to see how pathetic those numbers are.  Youth baseball is happening and I'm coaching in a mask while fan attendance is limited to 2 people per child with no concessions open and bathroom use discouraged.  That's not normal.  Nowhere is normal.

I don't know how you put a percentage on "normal" but I'd say any reasonable measurement would not even have us at 80% normal.

If you went to a coastal or rural city in Texas last weekend, it all looked pretty fuckin normal to me. I was in Port OConnor/Seadrift/Port Lavaca last weekend fishing (you can social distance like a motherfucker wading in the bay, amirite) and EVERY bar, restaurant, and car-accessible beach was at least 50% full and the majority were closer to 100% full.

Everything may not be back to normal, but people aren't letting that stop them from acting like things are back to normal in the settings they can control.

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

They’re also lucky a less deadly virus is spreading.  I can guarantee you if this was what we were seeing in early March it would be MUCH worse.  

It spreads almost as easily but just isn’t killing people in the same numbers.  I know plenty of people in Texas who still think this is all BS.  

Darwin bout to do some work as we approach the fall...and if you don’t bend the curve going into fall, oh man.  

If we're assuming this acts like most other known viruses and that getting sick gives you some (maybe full?) protection for at least a period of time, wouldn't now be a good time for these people to get sick, especially if it is the younger, less likely to die or be hospitalized group as most of the data seems to show?  Edit - only as long as we keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed.  

We've been working through this since March, and no one has tested positive at work.  We have had to send a number of people home (or they never came i at all) if they found out they were near someone that had tested positive.  Our 'interactions' thus far have been:

- guy and his wife had dinner with healthworker and her husband at their house.  She gets tested weekly, and one of her tests came back positive.  She felt no symptoms, and it took about 3 weeks for her to get 2 negative tests.  Our worker and his wife never tested positive

- 2 crew members went to a party.  All young adults.  I've heard they played beer pong...come on guys.  1 person at the party ended up running a fever 2 days later.  Our 2 employees were tested a week later and were not positive.  One of their buddies was, but showed no signs.

- 2 different guys baby momma's kids (again, different baby momma's) had the Ex and the kid test positive.  Neither worker here or baby momma tested positive.  

Quite a few "i feel sick" people or people that actually had a fever over the past 3 months we had to tell to stay home and get tested before coming back after a week or 2.  No positives.  I'm actually quite amazed.  Statistically you would have thought someone would have gotten it by now.   

Edited by UT_OB1

This is probably not the forum for this type of commentary.  Gov. Abbott is a smart, measured, and deliberate leader.  I have always found him to be rational and to actually listen to those in his circle.  But, He let two people whisper in his ear and fuck up his vision for how to handle this.  

And now, our state will gravely pay for that mistake.  No CR, but if we can't discuss the policies of Texas in the last 6 weeks on this thread, then this thread serves zero purpose.  

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

This is probably not the forum for this type of commentary.  Gov. Abbott is a smart, measured, and deliberate leader.  I have always found him to be rational and to actually listen to those in his circle.  But, He let two people whisper in his ear and fuck up his vision for how to handle this.  

And now, our state will gravely pay for that mistake.  No CR, but if we can't discuss the policies of Texas in the last 6 weeks on this thread, then this thread serves zero purpose.  

This is the safe space , so I’ll confine my comments as follows- no he isn’t. I’ve talked to agency heads about this. Dan Patrick is more serious about policy and the outcomes of policy than Abbott. Let that blow through your mind.

Fair point.  

I'm really encouraged by the fact the Federal Government is putting a stop to assisting underfunded public health districts with regard to testing in the coming weeks.  Best thing we can do right now is throttle down testing and fuck over poorer areas, and limit testing access for millions of Americans.  Makes the absolute most sense.  No Cloak Room since we're talking about testing logistics and celebrating the genius of those making this move.  For those of you with just basic cable, this is basically the second episode of the HBO miniseries "Chernobyl" when the brilliant leadership decide that centrally funded testing of the sick makes no sense.  

Congratulations, TX. You’re now considered a shithole. Redlined by 3 states.

It’s a good thing we have plenty of hospital beds and medical staff. And of course we can count on the olds to step up and die for the sake of the rest of us.

13 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

One of the more disappointing things I’ve read recently was about how the big grocery store chain up here currently has 30 lawsuits filed against it by people who were forced to leave after refusing to wear a mask due to some health condition that makes wearing a mask difficult or “impossible”. Despite the chain offering curb side pickup. All 30 are represented by the same attorney. 

The masks clearly work. How has our populace become so stupid as to refuse to wear them “because muh freedoms”. 

• Like 5

One of the more disappointing things I’ve read recently was about how the big grocery store chain up here currently has 30 lawsuits filed against it by people who were forced to leave after refusing to wear a mask due to some health condition that makes wearing a mask difficult or “impossible”. Despite the chain offering curb side pickup. All 30 are represented by the same attorney. 

The masks clearly work. How has our populace become so stupid as to refuse to wear them “because muh freedoms”. 

It's astonishing. I legitimately struggle to conceptualize in my brain how someone can have the thought process that leads to refusing to wear a thin piece of fabric on their face in order to reduce risk to others' lives.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, heso said:

Fuck all 30 of those people 

Also fuck lawyers 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

If we're assuming this acts like most other known viruses and that getting sick gives you some (maybe full?) protection for at least a period of time, wouldn't now be a good time for these people to get sick, especially if it is the younger, less likely to die or be hospitalized group as most of the data seems to show?  Edit - only as long as we keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed.  

We've been working through this since March, and no one has tested positive at work.  We have had to send a number of people home (or they never came i at all) if they found out they were near someone that had tested positive.  Our 'interactions' thus far have been:

- guy and his wife had dinner with healthworker and her husband at their house.  She gets tested weekly, and one of her tests came back positive.  She felt no symptoms, and it took about 3 weeks for her to get 2 negative tests.  Our worker and his wife never tested positive

- 2 crew members went to a party.  All young adults.  I've heard they played beer pong...come on guys.  1 person at the party ended up running a fever 2 days later.  Our 2 employees were tested a week later and were not positive.  One of their buddies was, but showed no signs.

- 2 different guys baby momma's kids (again, different baby momma's) had the Ex and the kid test positive.  Neither worker here or baby momma tested positive.  

Quite a few "i feel sick" people or people that actually had a fever over the past 3 months we had to tell to stay home and get tested before coming back after a week or 2.  No positives.  I'm actually quite amazed.  Statistically you would have thought someone would have gotten it by now.   

Yes, if you have the curve bent then people getting it now is likely better.  We don't have zero cases in Chicago but we have the overall number of new cases well under control.  Nobody in the field is out here being irrational about we have to get this to zero.  Not at all...

Texas and many other states problems are because the hospitals are about to become a total shitshow.  I posted that IL waited a couple weeks longer than what the numbers may have shown because we had a LOT of ICU capacity pretty much the whole time - with the help of our shitty weather and aggressive politicians we did a good job here.  There's no way much of Texas can be having the 'let them get it while the virus is less potent' convo because you guys are having a massive run on ICU beds.  Meaning, even the less severe virus isn't helping because your overall numbers are so high that the system will soon be up shit creek.  

Surly is more educated than most places but the sheer number of people in TX and AZ who were going on and on about a hoax is embarrassing shit.  I have lots of family/friends in AZ too and they were the same damn way.  Muh rights!! NO Masks!!! HOAX

JFC

• Like 8

Just now, StruggleBus said:

Fuck all 30 of those people 

Also fuck lawyers 

I mean, if you’ve got some kind of lung or breathing condition where wearing a mask is unbearable, what the fuck are you doing going to the grocery store in the midst of a pandemic that will likely kill you if you catch it?

None of my family has been inside a grocery store since mid March. 

How is this hard?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It's astonishing. I legitimately struggle to conceptualize in my brain how someone can have the thought process that leads to refusing to wear a thin piece of fabric on their face in order to reduce risk to others' lives.

The average person is dumb as shit.  Leaders need to lead by example.  As we have seen, a lot of them are dumb as shit too.  

That's as close to CR as I'll get here - but there's no way that we can have this convo without acknowledging these points...

• Like 1

We’re a nation of assholes who have joined the cult of individualism and American exceptionalism. And it’s literally killing us.

When we face a crisis that requires selflessness and considering the well being of others, we are literally incapable of meeting the challenge. We just can’t do it.

I mean....set almost everything else aside, if we’d just wear masks when out and about, that would do it, by and large. But we don’t just forget to do it. We refuse to do it, with a huge “FUCK YEW!” the whole way. Not all of us...but more than enough of us.

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes, if you have the curve bent then people getting it now is likely better.  We don't have zero cases in Chicago but we have the overall number of new cases well under control.  Nobody in the field is out here being irrational about we have to get this to zero.  Not at all...

Texas and many other states problems are because the hospitals are about to become a total shitshow.  I posted that IL waited a couple weeks longer than what the numbers may have shown because we had a LOT of ICU capacity pretty much the whole time - with the help of our shitty weather and aggressive politicians we did a good job here.  There's no way much of Texas can be having the 'let them get it while the virus is less potent' convo because you guys are having a massive run on ICU beds.  Meaning, even the less severe virus isn't helping because your overall numbers are so high that the system will soon be up shit creek.  

Surly is more educated than most places but the sheer number of people in TX and AZ who were going on and on about a hoax is embarrassing shit.  I have lots of family/friends in AZ too and they were the same damn way.  Muh rights!! NO Masks!!! HOAX

JFC

Be interesting when this is over to compare death rates by state.  And make judgments then.  I wonder how Texas will stack up?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

There's no way much of Texas can be having the 'let them get it while the virus is less potent' convo because you guys are having a massive run on ICU beds.

You keep claiming that the virus is less potent now. Have you seen something that indicates that the seemingly decreased potency is not simply a result of the different age profile of this recent wave of cases?

The median age of Florida COVID patients dropped from 65 to 35. Given the CFR for 65 year olds is something like 20-50x higher than for 35 year olds, that age shift in the cases could have a dramatic effect on the overall CFR, even if the disease is no less potent than before at any given age group.

13 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Congratulations, TX. You’re now considered a shithole. Redlined by 3 states.

It’s a good thing we have plenty of hospital beds and medical staff. And of course we can count on the olds to step up and die for the sake of the rest of us.

Three states with 20x our Covid death rate.  Yeah. Texas is the shithole in this equation. 

• Like 8
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Be interesting when this is over to compare death rates by state.  And make judgments then.  I wonder how Texas will stack up?

Not really - just because Texas has less deaths than NYC doesn't mean they were any smarter.  Texas will almost certainly end up with less deaths per capita vs NYC.  There's a ton of other factors like population density.  Science tells you what the best practices are.  Areas where wearing masks was seen as some political statement, so a certain group of people refused to wear them?  Yeah, we can already judge those people. 

• Like 5

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away