Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

35 minutes ago, Lobo said:

At least you have beaches.  Thankfully, my 5 year old loves nature so she got to planning 2 family nature hikes each week.  she'd pick the trail from a handful she knows well and lead us on the trail for a half hour or so.  It was really cute.  The heat is starting to put a damper on those unfortunately.  Like her father, she doesn't like to do much before 9:00am and Daddy doesn't like to hike at 5:00p on this swamp-ass weather (today notwithstanding).  I wish we had a pool during Covid-19 though.  

We've got a pool and a beach.  Beach would be good for you though

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

25 years ago my son’s VW camper blew its engine 60 miles out of Fort Stockton while he was heading to Lake Havasu for Spring Break. He spent his week in a motel dump while a local mechanic installed a rebuilt VW 4 banger.

B9A39592-71C1-48DB-BCAD-C778BCC07A39.jpeg

I have experience with blown VW Camper Van engines. Did you know that the VW Camper Van engine is actually a Porsche engine? My wallet knows.

Yeah, either way.  We never really needed one because on our little street of 11 homes, 7 have swimming pools so we always had one to use, mainly to teach the 5YO how to swim.  But now during Covid-19, people are understandably reluctant to have another family of 4 in their backyard.  I trust the chlorine, it's all the other shit around the pool deck that worries me.  And my 5YO has to touch everything twice when going over to someone's home.  

Update 6/25/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Kung Flu Deaths - Cumulative total

3/27: 1 death

6/16: 106 deaths

6/17:  108 deaths

6/18:  108 deaths

6/19: 108 deaths

6/20: 109 deaths

6/21: 110 deaths

6/22: 112 deaths

6/23: 114 deaths

6/24: 116 deaths

6/25: 116+ deaths

Last 10 Days: +10

Travis County Health Care Stats: Current numbers

6/16: HP - 158, ICU - 59, Vent - 28

6/17: Hp - 173, ICU - 63, Vent - 26

6/18: Hp - 173, ICU - 63, Vent - 26

6/19: Hp - 173, ICU - 64, Vent - 27

6/20: Hp - 173, ICU- 64, Vent - 27

6/21: Hp - 173, ICU - 64, Vent - 27

6/22: Hp - 181, ICU - 86, Vent - 32

6/23: Hp - 236, ICU - 94, Vent - 34

6/24: Hp - 274, ICU - 106, Vent - 42

6/25: Hp - 293, ICU - 109, Vent - 43

Last 10 Days: Hp: +135, ICU: +50,Vent: +15

Ten Day Average HP (rolling): 200.7

10 Day Avg on 6/11 - 91.5

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

US Death Total 6/24/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 61,409 (54.4%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           51,567

Total:                                                         112,976

Top 5: Highest State Death Totals:

NY: 24,782

NJ: 12,995

Mass: 7,938

Pennsylvania: 6,515

Illinois: 6,580

Total: 58,810 (52.1% of total deaths)

Texas: 2,249

California: 5,725

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/htmlview#gid=43566737

Not since they canceled Del Boca Vista, Phase IV.  

An infected and asymptomatic 25 year old in Austin or Fort Worth can easily go a week without seeing someone over 75 out in public.  That type of person can’t go an hour in Florida without seeing someone over 75.  I sure as shit hope Publix has a robust curbside pickup service.  I look back on my two years there as maybe the strangest time in my life and I couldn’t put my finger on why until Covid.

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I have experience with blown VW Camper Van engines. Did you know that the VW Camper Van engine is actually a Porsche engine? My wallet knows.

Yes, because the van pictured had a rebuilt Porsche When he bought it. 
I had to wire son $1,000 to have the replacement VW engine Installed.

Since this is now the "How much can you bench, bro" thread, I need to comment on this.  
1x should be doable by most guys who have ever lifted weights.  2x is otherworldly.  I weigh 200 and can do that weight probably 10 times.  I would need 2 spotters to get 400 lbs off of me before my sternum cracked.
Also, you nail the issue with women in a later post.  I bet my wife and 2 teenage daughters couldn't do half of their body weight.  My daughters are gymnasts and very strong, but they have no clue how to lift weights at all.

Off topic, but may be of interest to the non-weight lifting bros:
Florida just shut down all of the bars again and they are requiring masks in all businesses after 5pm today.

Just so we all know how ridiculous a 2x bench is for everyone outside of surly.

28a6f118c57ae9ff5615b4d752636989.jpg
6a016d7070032a572fa86beab2842ae6.jpg

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

These types of take always make me laugh. You really wanna make the human species leaner & meaner? Why not kill everyone who’s handicapped? Why not kill everyone who relies on any type of medication or supplements? Why not kill everyone who has a mental illness? Why not kill everyone who is overweight? Why not kill everyone who doesn’t have 20/20 vision? Why not kill everyone who can’t run a mile in under 8 minutes? Who can’t bench their own body weight? 

You clearly didn't read my post.  I clearly said we have risen above the animals....but you're a Yankees fan so you do you 

Edited by Surly Bevo

Coloradoans are great, much like New Mexicans.  Both economies, especially for the average citizen, are built on tourism and they still act like dickhead townies when the folks bankrolling the operation show up.  

Well when the “bankrollers” come in and as a rule not an exception act like dickfaces it’s no wonder the locals have a reaction. And the thing is Texans don’t think they are dickfaces, but a lot of us are. We have friends in CO who work tourism and they love Texans for their money, friendliness and complete blindness to their arrogance. There’s an entertainment comedic value to Texans for the ones we know. Especially the Texans who spend 3 months of the summer up there. Tourist workers don’t seem bemoan their presence but they have tons of stories of tone deaf, assholery behavior and our people have a reputation for a reason. Texans are an arrogant bunch.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, troph said:

Well when the “bankrollers” come in and as a rule not an exception act like dickfaces it’s no wonder the locals have a reaction. And the thing is Texans don’t think they are dickfaces, but a lot of us are. We have friends in CO who work tourism and they love Texans for their money, friendliness and complete blindness to their arrogance. There’s an entertainment comedic value to Texans for the ones we know. Especially the Texans who spend 3 months of the summer up there. Tourist workers don’t seem bemoan their presence but they have tons of stories of tone deaf, assholery behavior and our people have a reputation for a reason. Texans are an arrogant bunch.

I know.  That was being purposefully obtuse.  Although there are self entitled assholes everywhere, including born and bred in Colorado.  Despite the insistence of our mountainous neighbors, Texans didn't invent arrogance and assholery.  One could argue that Coloradans in particular have their own special brand.  New Mexico gets a pass as their assholes tend to just be transplants to Santa Fe.   But tourists are always a cut above, probably has something to do with being on holiday.  For Colorado and New Mexico residents, those tourists just happen to be Texan.  I know that most recognize their peaceful mountain town wouldn't even exist without the tourists, but the level of bitching to the point of making people feel unwelcome is insane.  Don't live in a place that can't exist without tourism if you can't handle tourists.  Because tourists suck.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, troph said:

You hear almost universal scorn for Texans at almost every ski resort I've ever visited out west.  I'm guessing for those reasons.  My experience hasn't really  born that out, but the skiing in jeans thing sure seems to be a reoccurring theme.

7 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I know that most recognize their peaceful mountain town wouldn't even exist without the tourists, but the level of bitching to the point of making people feel unwelcome is insane.

Where? I travel around Colorado a lot and outside of Breck I don’t experience this...seems to be a constant for you.

maybe you’re the cunt?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I know.  That was being purposefully obtuse.  Although there are self entitled assholes everywhere, including born and bred in Colorado.  Despite the insistence of our mountainous neighbors, Texans didn't invent arrogance and assholery.  One could argue that Coloradans in particular have their own special brand.  New Mexico gets a pass as their assholes tend to just be transplants to Santa Fe.   But tourists are always a cut above, probably has something to do with being on holiday.  For Colorado and New Mexico residents, those tourists just happen to be Texan.  I know that most recognize their peaceful mountain town wouldn't even exist without the tourists, but the level of bitching to the point of making people feel unwelcome is insane.  Don't live in a place that can't exist without tourism if you can't handle tourists.  Because tourists suck.

I've never felt unwelcome on my trips to CO, and yes we have Texas plates, wear Astros or Tech gear, whatever.  It's been my experience that Coloradoans and that Western outlook on things tend to be pretty damned conducive to people getting along and having a good time.

We don't go on ski trips, and maybe that's a differentiating factor.  i have traveled around the country for a bar related hobby, not darts; and the Colorado contingent tends to be cool as hell.

Thread relevant: our hobby has been shut the fuck down this year.  It sucks, but everyone is trying to patiently wait out the plague.

Edited by Iceman

I welcome anyone who wants to visit and be respectful to us and our state. I do not welcome those who don't. I don't really care where they come from. Mexican nationals have Texans beat by a longshot when it comes to acting like assholes. Thankfully they tend to go to Vail.

And while my life does not need tourists, i know they are the lifeblood of our mountain communities.

Here's a friendly hint, though. If you come in taking about how you're some big swinging dick who is bankrolling our town with your visit, you're probably going to get a chilly reception.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, troph said:

Speak for yourself, dickface.  1,000 Texans are at a resort, and one group of 10 act like douches, suddenly it's the rule and not the exception?  Bullshit.  

I think you have it ass backwards.  The group of people looking down at someone, and making generalizations about them because of where they live are the arrogant assholes in my book.

Carry on.

Edited by Somnio
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Speak for yourself, dickface.  1,000 Texans are at a resort, and one group of 10 act like douches, suddenly it's the rule and not the exception?  Bullshit.  

I think you have it ass backwards.  The group of people looking down at someone, and making generalizations about them because of where they live are the arrogant assholes in my book.

Carry on.

yes but we need to exempt Oklahoma from this 

• Haha 1

Carry on.

Okay. I was only passing along what several friends in Colorado tourism think. But I’m the dickface and was the first one on this thread to call Texans who visit Colorado that state’s “bankrollers”. Stereotypes come from generalizations not exceptions. Monied Texans - especially new money Texans - are generally obnoxious.
  • Like 4

Carry on.

I thing like making sweeping generalizations based on the actions of a few....am I right??

Whatever. A lot of defensiveness here. If you know people who wait on and serve folks in the industry you tend to believe them when they are blowing off steam. I’m sure we are all woke polite amazing visitors. And not all Coloradans who work tourism are snobby elitist haters either.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, troph said:

Whatever. A lot of defensiveness here. If you know people who wait on and serve folks in the industry you tend to believe them when they are blowing off steam. I’m sure we are all woke polite amazing visitors. And not all Coloradans who work tourism are snobby elitist haters either.

First, I apologize for calling you dickface.  It was totally unnecessary, and was definitely a dick move on my part.

All I am saying is I don't believe in letting generalizations of people affect the way you interact with someone.

I have worked in the service industry, and I know of many generalizations regarding many types of customers.  I think if you buy in to that, and it affects the way you treat a customer even a tiny bit you suck at your job.

all i know is i just booked an airbnb in colorado springs for 8 days in august and we plan to social distance and eat in every meal and wear masks and get some major outdoor time and sightseeing in. and i will be very polite in the grocery store. i pledge to be a goodwill ambassador for Texas. 

now i just pray they don't implement a travel ban on Texans in the next 6 weeks 😕

• Like 3

First, I apologize for calling you dickface.  It was totally unnecessary, and was definitely a dick move on my part.

All I am saying is I don't believe in letting generalizations of people affect the way you interact with someone.

I have worked in the service industry, and I know of many generalizations regarding many types of customers.  I think if you buy in to that, and it affects the way you treat a customer even a tiny bit you suck at your job.

You’re right. And you’re A+ in my book. Seriously.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Where? I travel around Colorado a lot and outside of Breck I don’t experience this...seems to be a constant for you.

maybe you’re the cunt?

Always a possibility.  I was reacting more to comments in this thread, not personal experiences.  I've heard the grumblings about Texans like everyone else, but I've never felt unwelcome.  And I've lived in CO and NM both, so I've seen it from the other side.

Edited by Samson's Wig

2 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
9 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:
I just need to live until the end of the next fiscal year. At that point I cash out and drive to Belize with the dog.

Don't forget the girlfriend.

Maybe he’s escaping.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away