Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

This guy doesn't even know, man.  We are not gonna tolerate this shit in Texas.  We are proud 2A folks down here, poor fucker doesn't even know, bro.  

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

This guy doesn't even know, man.  We are not gonna tolerate this shit in Texas.  We are proud 2A folks down here, poor fucker doesn't even know, bro.  

He’s a comedian that’s been doing this shtick for a while now. 

Oh my god man, thank you.  I had no idea.  I feel so ashamed that I couldn't pick up on it.  We're gonna still try to get him down here for Moontower even though he's not the strong Trumper we thought he was.  

Edited by Lobo

14 hours ago, Lobo said:

What is your hangup about “2A” folks? Do you really think all the anti-maskers are of that ilk?

And do you really think all us gun-totin’ geezers are too stupid to mask up?

Serious questions.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DaysOff said:
17 hours ago, MissingInAction said:
I just need to live until the end of the next fiscal year. At that point I cash out and drive to Belize with the dog.

Don't forget the girlfriend  Baby Mama.

Fixed it.

Armybrat-It was a lame attempt to continue the guy's schtick of "but muh freedoms."  I chose to extend his previous posts about 2A/masks/etc. into kind of continuing with his desire to fight people that disagreed with him.  It fell flat, I get it.  I ain't always pithy.  I think there is substantial overlap between 2A proponents and anti-maskers, but you're right it's not a 100% venn diagram.  My bona fides with regard to the 2A are far more substantial than most on here.  I don't worship at trump's altar and as such I get painted as a commie liberal, despite most of my political activity being quite to the contrary.  I picked a bad outlet, I get it.  I like gun totin' geezers like yourself with little tiny guns behind your mask.  You're always aces in my book, you know that.  You remain a great Texan despite your stealing it from the Mexicans.  

Good point.  We'll get around to 6A soon enough.  Large schools and the need for a speedy trial and to confront one's accusers.  I have a feeling that amendment will come into play before what would typically be the end of HS/CFB/NFL season, early February.  Not sure what 6A schools are called in New York though.  

For the continued bitching about masks I was pleasantly surprised on my recent plane travels. Masks were worn. No one seemed to be coughing or sneezing (folks must be trying extra hard not to). People kept to themselves and listened to instructions on boarding and deboarding.

For the most part everyone seemed respectful of those around them and those working either in the airport or on the plane. My few interactions with flight crew were extra cordial and appreciative as well. 

Overall a fine experience. There may be hope for us after all. 

7 minutes ago, PhillyD said:

If this is true, all of the beaches should be open.

and every restaurant

One concern regarding the lack of any strong effects for COVID-19 case growth is that the post-protest sample period might not be sufficiently long enough as of yet to detect a resurgence or increase in the infection rates.

Edited by RollLeft

exactly right, which is why this DT thread annoys the living shit out of some people (and yes, here we all are).  I'm a mask-wearing, 2A supportin', middle-age guy who is just exhausted with this state's embrace of ignorance. 

If some Texans were half as responsible with their breathing in public as they are with their gun ownership, we wouldn't be in this latest fucking surge.  While I'm making my next ammo order, maybe I'll toss a couple of masks into my online cart as well.  What could it possibly hurt?  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

exactly right, which is why this DT thread annoys the living shit out of some people (and yes, here we all are).  I'm a mask-wearing, 2A supportin', middle-age guy who is just exhausted with this state's embrace of ignorance. 

If some Texans were half as responsible with their breathing in public as they are with their gun ownership, we wouldn't be in this latest fucking surge.  While I'm making my next ammo order, maybe I'll toss a couple of masks into my online cart as well.  What could it possibly hurt?  

how do you know they aren't?

I don't know that they aren't.  What I do know is plenty of them are displaying wanton disregard for social distancing and polite mask requests.  They simply aren't following it.  And I don't give a flying fuck what side of the aisle they park their ideology on.  Millions of stupid fucking Texans, exclusive of party affiliation, are not being considerate of their neighbors.  That's all there is to it.  A state that can't shut the fuck about how hospitable and responsible they are are killing their fellow Texans.  It's a goddamn fact of physics.  

Enough Texans, of whatever political stripe, are being fucking dumb right now and infecting other Texans.  It's fucking physics and maths.  It's not hard.  But nope, not our state.  Too fucking difficult.  So here we go again, with more dead relatives.  Thanks guys, can't wait to hear about your gearing up for the upcoming race wars.  Call your dad and tell him what a fucking hero you've been.  Oh wait, he died because we're stupid.  

1 hour ago, LABEVO said:

That conclusion is bullshit.  They say that the protests caused an increase in social distancing behavior among non-protesters that more than balanced out the non-social distancing behavior of the protesters.  So even though the protesters were likely spreading it amongst themselves, everyone else in society being good caused the net effect to be zero.  
the study ignores all the subsequent spread of the virus that we are seeing now amongst the younger demographic that largely made up the protesters.   isolating the spread to just what happened during the protests and not seeing what the effects are weeks later is irresponsible at best and willfully dishonest at worst.

TLDR: Of course the protesters behavior spread the virus.  Everyone else staying home made the net effect zero.  Protesters spreading it to others in the weeks following is not factored in.

• Like 2

So protests may have helped the virus to spread?  But just the BLM protestors right?  Not the folks a few weeks before protesting for their freedoms to get back out in the economy?  

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So protests may have helped the virus to spread?  But just the BLM protestors right?  Not the folks a few weeks before protesting for their freedoms to get back out in the economy?  

Where did I say that?  Anyone congregating is spreading it.  I was commenting on this specific study and it’s conclusions, which I feel are misleading.   The folks on the left are using this to say “see, it wasn’t us” and the folks on the right are using it to say “see, we can congregate with no ill effects.”  Fuck them all.  Stay home and wear a mask.  Do your part as a person who cares about others to limit spread.

Edited by Druggist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Druggist said:

That conclusion is bullshit.  They say that the protests caused an increase in social distancing behavior among non-protesters that more than balanced out the non-social distancing behavior of the protesters.  So even though the protesters were likely spreading it amongst themselves, everyone else in society being good caused the net effect to be zero.  
the study ignores all the subsequent spread of the virus that we are seeing now amongst the younger demographic that largely made up the protesters.   isolating the spread to just what happened during the protests and not seeing what the effects are weeks later is irresponsible at best and willfully dishonest at worst.

TLDR: Of course the protesters behavior spread the virus.  Everyone else staying home made the net effect zero.  Protesters spreading it to others in the weeks following is not factored in.

Or maybe your viewpoint clouds your judgment. You've already decide that the protestors are the cause (with no data to back it up) and then completely ignore a study (with data) that proves it wasn't the protests.

I think the young demographic this, as you cite it, is really questionable. This is pretty much the top demographic which visit restaurants and bars. There are a lot of factors at play here, and given a investigative research, I would believe that over just the idea that "yeah, it was the protests." I would ask do you have a similar research paper that shows protests were the cause of the spread?

57 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Trying to find more information about this guys claim. 

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is that guy talking about? He appears to be confusing all of his data sets.

I'm pretty sure that Google doesn't use the same data set that Texas DOH uses, so mixing their numbers is ... !?!?!?

His lead in post also is citing something from an Arizona paper, which I don't get at all.

I'll  go with numbers he's pulling out of his ass for $1000 Alex.

• Like 5

On 4/6/2020 at 6:20 AM, Bevo said:

If we end quarantines early, then we will see a rapid rise soon after. Using the media's new favorite term, herd immunity will not occur until greater than 50% of the population is infected.

According to a well known Harvard epidemiologist, COVID19's rate of spread is higher than that of the ordinary flu, but similar to that of novel emergent influenzas that have occasionally swept the globe before. “That is similar to pandemic flu of 1918, and it implies that the end of this epidemic is going to require nearly 50% of the population to be immune, either from a vaccine, which is not on the immediate horizon, or from natural infection".

That is based on an R0 between 2 and 2.5. However, if the coronavirus spreads more easily than the experts think and has an R0 of 3, then 66% off the population will need to get the disease before herd immunity is reached.

But one of the factors contributing to R0 is the contact rate of the disease. If a person who’s infected with a contagious disease comes into contact with many people who aren’t infected or vaccinated, the disease will spread more quickly. If that person remains at home, in a hospital, or otherwise quarantined while they’re contagious, the disease will spread more slowly. So in theory, summer will help lower the contact rate as will having some baseline immunity due to a percentage of the population having already been exposed.

For the SARS pandemic in 2003, scientists estimated the original R0 to be around 2.75. A month or two later, the effective R0 dropped below 1, thanks to the tremendous effort that went into intervention strategies, including isolation and quarantine activities.

The bottom line is that quarantines will have to stay in place because herd immunity will not have been achieved. But the upside is that the spread will slow and keep our hospitals from being overrun. This will allow for more people to be treated and thus reduce the number of people dying of this infection. Also, hopefully we will have lowered the R0 to where herd immunity occurs with a smaller number of people being infected. This would mean a slower disease transmission rate that will allow time for vaccines and therapies to be developed.

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Or maybe your viewpoint clouds your judgment. You've already decide that the protestors are the cause (with no data to back it up) and then completely ignore a study (with data) that proves it wasn't the protests.

I think the young demographic this, as you cite it, is really questionable. This is pretty much the top demographic which visit restaurants and bars. There are a lot of factors at play here, and given a investigative research, I would believe that over just the idea that "yeah, it was the protests." I would ask do you have a similar research paper that shows protests were the cause of the spread?

No, my conclusion is that people gathering in large groups spreads COVID and social distancing limits spread.  In the conclusion of the paper they admit as much and play math games to show the cumulative spread in the country during the protests was balanced by these two activities. Take the time to read the conclusion in the article and not just the headline.

Young people being in restaurants and bars is of course fueling the spread.  Lots of people going from one large congregation (protests or Trump rallies) to another (restaurants and bars) in a period of a few weeks will surely fuel spread.   It is simple logic.  We are seeing the results of this now.

And why should I need data on these gatherings to infer there was spread of COVID during them?  We have over 6 months of literature showing this virus spreads when people gather.   Acting like these specific mass gatherings were somehow immune to the spread we know occurs when groups gather is being a science denier.  This virus spreads when people gather, period.  

The fact that the protests caused a lot of other people to increase their social distancing behavior during the same time period should not be used to claim the protests did not contribute to the spread of COVID.  To me, that is allowing your viewpoint to cloud your judgement.  

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Druggist said:

No, my conclusion is that people gathering in large groups spreads COVID and social distancing limits spread.  In the conclusion of the paper they admit as much and play math games to show the cumulative spread in the country during the protests was balanced by these two activities. Take the time to read the conclusion in the article and not just the headline.

Young people being in restaurants and bars is of course fueling the spread.  Lots of people going from one large congregation (protests or Trump rallies) to another (restaurants and bars) in a period of a few weeks will surely fuel spread.   It is simple logic.  We are seeing the results of this now.

And why should I need data on these gatherings to infer there was spread of COVID during them?  We have over 6 months of literature showing this virus spreads when people gather.   Acting like these specific mass gatherings were somehow immune to the spread we know occurs when groups gather is being a science denier.  This virus spreads when people gather, period.  

The fact that the protests caused a lot of other people to increase their social distancing behavior during the same time period should not be used to claim the protests did not contribute to the spread of COVID.  To me, that is allowing your viewpoint to cloud your judgement.  

Because the data says you’re wrong. But you apparently don’t “need” data to confirm your theory because you feel it’s true. 

• Like 1

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-Expands-Its-Clean-Commitment-by-Adding-Vanderbilt-University-Medical-Center-on-New-Travel-Health-Advisory-Panel-OPS-DIS-06/default.aspx

American’s Clean Commitment has multiple layers

The Travel Health Advisory Panel and GBAC STAR Accreditation build on American’s commitment to the safety and well-being of its customers and team members. American has implemented multiple layers of protection for customers that include clean airports and airplanes, looking out for the health of team members, and requirements for customers to wear face coverings. 

American disinfects every aircraft, including hand-cleaning seat buckles, seats, tray tables and other surfaces. The airline also applies an electrostatic spray inside the aircraft every seven days which kills 99.9999% of viruses and bacteria within 10 minutes. American is the only network airline to use a product on EPA List N which provides continued seven-day protection against bacteria, mold, and viruses, including SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. And the HEPA filtration system on board American’s fleet provides a complete air change every two to four minutes, similar to the standard for hospitals.

American has also expanded the frequency of cleaning in airport areas under its control, including gate areas, ticket counters, passenger services counters, baggage service offices and team member rooms. Customers on many flights receive sanitizing wipes or gel, and American has limited food and beverage delivery to reduce interactions between flight attendants and customers.

Wow, American is serious about keeping customers safe.  Let's take a look at the next paragraph!

As more people continue to travel, customers may notice that flights are booked to capacity starting July 1. American will continue to notify customers and allow them to move to more open flights when available, all without incurring any cost. This is in addition to the airline’s current travel waivers. Additional details regarding travel waivers can be found below and on aa.com/travelalerts.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Druggist said:

On the 2nd highlighted point above: Actually my view has been hey experts: show me some research, give me real data.

As I note, we are talking about a lot of numbers, people out and about because their cities/states are open and people protesting, etc. That said, the overall trends from around the country showed that despite the protests, which have been everywhere, cities are continuing on the trends that started before the protest started. But maybe they do have an impact, so show me some researched data.

On the 1st point: I very much agree when you have a virus that spreads person to person, getting close together is a bad idea. Many months of data do show us something. But it also has been flipped a lot. First I was told surface to touching face. Now I am told droplets, etc. We've also been warned sharing indoor space is bad, outdoor space not as much. The spread is still a big unknown. Again, a bunch of points that just beg for the experts to step in, do research and tell us the facts.

So yeah, my final point is this: What are the experts saying?  So when you ask "And why should I need data on these gatherings to infer there was spread of COVID during them?"

Because that is how science works.

If there is an expert who says "The protests have not had an effect on the spread of COVID-19" I am very much going to believe them over 10,000 people on some message board saying "It was the protesters!" with no data to back it up.

Edited by Captain Ron

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

the Covid doesn't go to WalMarts...or protests.  It goes to bars like a motherfucker.

Read the talking points....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Palabra.

In the meantime, my sinuses & throat are killing me because of all this camel dung-laden dust blanketing Central Texas. 
At least that’s all I hope it is.

Lead engineer (72 in age) in a company we are using tonight he was having allergies about 3 weeks ago. Had a stroke 2 weeks ago, ended up in the hospital and also tested positive for CV. For a 72 yo, he’s in very good shape. They released him Friday.   So be careful

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Then why has their not been a consistent rise across cities? NY, Minneapolis.... compared to cities in states who’ve rushed reopenings 

Because those states already had their rise and massive infections.  This virus seems to burn hot but relatively quickly.   See most of Europe.  Texas and California haven’t been hit much until recently.  That’s my guess.  

This virus is going to infect places.  Sooner or later. Until there is a vaccine.  

We should do things like not turn nursing homes into death chambers.  

Newsom and California have done all the shit you want done. They are still spiking like a motherfucker.  

Don’t you live in Colorado?  Which has, what, 4 times the death rate as Texas?  You guys got hit earlier.  

Edited by Johnny Sack

5 hours ago, Druggist said:

Of course it is. It's literally accounted for in the study. The people that stayed home because of the protests would have spread the virus as well. Did you actually read the paper? (nope).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Druggist said:

Folks, this is what happens when you start with the conclusion and try to work backwards to manufacture your way into "evidence".

There is now tons of data that shows that the protests were not a significant driver of Covid spread, beyond just this one study that Druggist obviously didn't read. It's been all but settled both amongst the scientific community and this thread (except for the power duo of Johnny Sack and Druggist). 

This post is anti-science and if it were on social media it'd be labeled as fake news.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

Sounds like sports can go on then.  Put 100k shoulder to shoulder at DKR and so long as 70 percent or so mask up like the protesters did it won’t contribute to spread. 
Astros and Texans do the same.  Just open the roof

Hell at this rate by late August there’ll be enough antibody carriers to not need a mask.

The virus travels differently outside than it does inside.  It travels differently with HVAC systems in place than it does without HVAC systems in place.  It travels differently between people with masks and people without masks.  If travels differently between people who are breathing, those who are speaking, those who are singing, those who are laughing, those who are yelling, those who are coughing, and those who are sneezing.  Yes, some protestors were being stupid in terms of distancing and projecting their droplets.  

Doesn't change the fact that some of y'all are quietly rooting for your teams while ignoring basic physics.  I was today years old when I realized that yeah there are some controversial and debatable subsets of science like climate change, GMO's, and wind cancer.  But when it comes to Covid, we are speaking about very, very fundamental elements of physics that even the most ardent science denier can grasp.  When your fat wife opens up her whore mouth, stuff flies out of her mouth.  That's just the way it is, same with your stupid kids.  What we need to do is get people into a situation where those droplets won't find their way onto other people's faces.  Simple physics guys, doesn't make you any less of a man.  Same reason we pull out and blow our loads onto your mom's backs...safer than droplets on her face.  

Keep blaming those Texas and Florida flare-ups on Minneapolis and Los Angeles and Louisville protests.  'Cause yeah, that's how pandemics work/noCR  Don't you guys have a fucking Chili's rally to attend today? 

It's impossible some of y'all are this stupid.

Edited by Lobo

25 years ago my son’s VW camper blew its engine 60 miles out of Fort Stockton while he was heading to Lake Havasu for Spring Break. He spent his week in a motel dump while a local mechanic installed a rebuilt VW 4 banger.

B9A39592-71C1-48DB-BCAD-C778BCC07A39.thumb.jpeg.1d47a9f8833bac482bd77a4b52196050.jpeg

Now that’s the look of a man whose two true loves are skunk weed and a musky unkempt bush.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Odd. I don’t see anyone blaming Texas Bars for Los Angeles spikes. 

https://deadline.com/2020/06/los-angeles-county-now-highest-number-coronavirus-cases-in-u-s-1202970308/

I think people would like some intellectual honesty and common sense instead of agenda driven media narratives. 

If the science truly shows the protests have little to no correlation with surges/spikes of the virus, what science is being used to close beaches, public parks and recreational courts, outdoor bars/restaurants, out door gatherings and even open air sports stadiums? How is it so selective of outdoor activities?

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 5

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away