Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I'm a dumbass, but based on what I read on here months ago, but in simplistic terms, isn't this what viruses often do?  Mutate to infect more hosts but become less deadly to not kill the host?

Likely the other way around. It mutates randomly, some strains being more virulent and some less. The less virulent version doesn’t make the host feel as bad so he/she socializes more and spreads the less virulent version around. The more virulent version greatly sickens or kills the host, mitigating the ability to infect others.

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Likely the other way around. It mutates randomly, some strains being more virulent and some less. The less virulent version doesn’t make the host feel as bad so he/she socializes more and spreads the less virulent version around. The more virulent version greatly sickens or kills the host, mitigating the ability to infect others.

Can we just tell the Chinese we want the less virulent version? Do I need my receipt? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BradInATX said:

God damnit, Hugo.

3 hours ago, achooloco said:

This isn’t helpful. We won’t become Guayaquil. If by some small chance we do, even though we won’t, then a helluva lotta shit went wrong and CoVID is the least of our worries. 

I mean, you guys understand he's just a complete troll, right?

It seems like some of you give him a pass, I guess because he makes comments that are in favor of "your team" in other forums on this website?  I don't go over there, so I wouldn't really know, and shit like this is precisely why I don't go over there.  He may seem politically aligned with your chosen world view, but in reality, he's just a jackass and a troll.  I'm not sure how you might have missed that over the years...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

It seems like some of you give him a pass, I guess because he makes comments that are in favor of "your team" in other forums on this website?  I don't go over there, so I wouldn't really know, and shit like this is precisely why I don't go over there.  He may seem politically aligned with your chosen world view, but in reality, he's just a jackass and a troll.  I'm not sure how you might have missed that over the years...

He rules the CRAZ...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I'm not sure what genius-brain level point you think you're making here, but on the flip side, certain people will foam at the mouth, auto-neg and whine/bitch about him because he makes comments against "their team."

Exhibit A is the people who have already responded to disparage him.  And they are on a certain team.

So maybe....put on on ignore if you're just going to bitch about him? 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I'm not sure what genius-brain level point you think you're making here, but on the flip side, certain people will foam at the mouth, auto-neg and whine/bitch about him because he makes comments against "their team."

Exhibit A is the people who have already responded to disparage him.  And they are on a certain team.

I guess you missed it, but brad and acho are the ones who were bitching about his crazed comments.  I was questioning why they seemed surprised.

Maybe, if you don't like me commenting on it, you can just put me on ignore?  Thanks in advance.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

fuck that guy, acting like his experiences with a freestanding for profit emergency department is the real world.

It seems a proper lawyer should know the difference between 'then' and 'than'. Those kinds of basic grammatical mistakes and misspellings are frequently tip-offs that something isn't legit.

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Of course you give him a pass he's your team co captain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So maybe....put on on ignore if you're just going to bitch about him

I thought it was a her but has anyone asked it/they which pronoun they/it/zie prefer(s)?  I get confused on adding the "s" when the potential that a single person/human prefers "they".

20 minutes ago, utee94 said:

He's not a troll. I'm pretty sure based on discussions with him in other threads that he's legitimate about where he's coming from and what he believes in.

I don't have a "team". Tons of us bagged on Hugo hard about the Russian stuff. I'm probably in disagreement with him more than I agree. I don't think I'm on the "team" you think I'm on. I'm not going to get into my politics or my voting history, but you'd probably be surprised. That's on you, because you're making assumptions about my politics based on my stance on masks and Covid, which is a huge part of the problem.

There are certainly some guys both over there and on this thread who are motivated by partisanship (on #bothsides), but it's not the case for everyone or even the majority.

The assumption that everyone posting here has some sort of partisan motivation is counter-effective to a productive thread. Does Hugo? Yeah. Does Johnny Sack? Yeah. Are there others who are purely motivated by team politics? Sure. But some of us who are just trying to figure this shit out, brainstorm, and share info. I don't think I share a whole lot politically with Anastasis or justhookit, but we've had some really great conversations and they've given me information and taught me things that I find valuable (and I hope vice versa). You and I have had some decent conversations and I don't think we're very politically aligned. The only fights I have are against stupidity and fake news, and for trying to have a productive discussion, and everyone is invited to the party.

The value in this thread and the other Covid threads is as a source of information. I trust most everyone here to post good, valuable information and avoid posting agenda-driven information from say,  Infowars and whatever left-Infowars is. I don't watch cable news and I don't really seek out news on the mainstream internet media. This thread keeps me in the loop. And when it gets hijacked repeatedly by the same partisan bullshit (Fuck Abbott! But New York! But the Protests! This is Trump's fault), it ruins pages and pages of the thread.

Damn that was long winded

Edited by BradInATX

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I guess you missed it, but brad and acho are the ones who were bitching about his crazed comments.  I was questioning why they seemed surprised.

If you think acho and I were surprised by Hugo's comments, you definitely misread the room.

• Like 1

fuck that guy, acting like his experiences with a freestanding for profit emergency department is the real world.

That was some serious bullshit he was spouting, including, but not limited to prescribing antibiotics pre-emptively, and spreading stories about how hospitals are over-coding for COVID and that ICU’s are increasing because of the lag of non-COVID.

4 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

That was some serious bullshit he was spouting, including, but not limited to prescribing antibiotics pre-emptively, and spreading stories about how hospitals are over-coding for COVID and that ICU’s are increasing because of the lag of non-COVID.

It was so stupid. Why would hospitals over-represent Covid for some mythical financial gain, when over-representing Covid leads to shutdowns of electives which cripple them financially. It's a grand conspiracy by the hospitals to... lose money. K.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Eskimohorn said:

It is pretty clear to me that the guy has never dealt with someone in coding before, because at every place i have ever been those folks are up to their ears in bullshit and *HATE* having something pushed down from on high about how they do their coding.

If there was some systematic, organization wide issue here (Methodist Main for example has almost 7000 discharges / month, Baptist is at a little under 5000, University is at 2300) wouldn't you think that someone there would whistleblow this kind of thing in about two seconds either at the coding, case management, accounting, PFS or physician side of things?

17 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It was so stupid. Why would hospitals over-represent Covid for some mythical financial gain, when over-representing Covid leads to shutdowns of electives which cripple them financially. It's a grand conspiracy by the hospitals to... lose money. K.

preach tina fey GIF by Sisters

A friend of mine on FB posted this picture today, and another acquaintance tried to explain it away as the results of more testing. Where can I find a chart showing how the positivity rate is increasing more than what it should be? If you're testing a bunch more people, than ideally the positivity rate should be declining or at least staying the same, and I don't think that's happeningf942117ee2b8ba3fda1ed5b72132fcfa.jpg

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Who the fuck cares anymore

even the "smartest guy in the room" no like masks.  its ok, he was outdo....wait.  he's not old...wait.  he's not endangering others in the ro...wait. 

doesn't he know HVAC systems can carry the virus 100's of feet?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pam Cummings said:

Remember that time Jason Witten got his helmet ripped off and kept running, and nothing bad happened to him? But NFL players still wear helmets.

Grow up. Seriously.

'member that time Pam Cummings hero got caught not wearing a mask indoors after telling everyone to wear masks...yeah I 'member.

10 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Bill is open about anti masks. I wear a mask indoors.

Our talking heads are the prime example of do as I say, not as I do. But you can ignore that, I don’t care.

Yeah, you're right. The 40 seconds he has his mask off negates anything else he's ever said.

• Like 2

Yeah, you're right. The 40 seconds he has his mask off negates anything else he's ever said.

Well he did say back in the beginning of this shit that masks aren’t going to stop the spread. It may prevent you from spreading it. If you cough or sneeze in a mask, it’s pretty much worthless

But if it’s still the one thing to maintain a functioning economy then I’m for it.

And he’s probably tested daily. No the 40 seconds isn’t going to do anything. But damn life is better without a mask on.

48 minutes ago, iodeac said:

A friend of mine on FB posted this picture today, and another acquaintance tried to explain it away as the results of more testing. Where can I find a chart showing how the positivity rate is increasing more than what it should be? If you're testing a bunch more people, than ideally the positivity rate should be declining or at least staying the same, and I don't think that's happeningf942117ee2b8ba3fda1ed5b72132fcfa.jpg

Assuming you're in Texas, the Tribune lays it out pretty well in a series of charts here for our state: https://apps.texastribune.org/features/2020/texas-coronavirus-cases-map/

• Like 3

Remember that time Jason Witten got his helmet ripped off and kept running, and nothing bad happened to him? But NFL players still wear helmets.

Grow up. Seriously.

Is Jason witten potentially spreading a disease without a helmet? If it was in college he’d have to sit out a play. Could’ve been bad if the team needed him the next play

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Is Jason witten potentially spreading a disease without a helmet? If it was in college he’d have to sit out a play. Could’ve been bad if the team needed him the next play

yeah but Jason Witten took off his own helmet.

2 hours ago, iodeac said:

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Assuming you're in Texas, the Tribune lays it out pretty well in a series of charts here for our state: https://apps.texastribune.org/features/2020/texas-coronavirus-cases-map/

Yup, you should point him to this positivity chart there:

image.png.3ae27ec6f7e58ddc140320390d736911.png

Or you can go here: https://sph.uth.edu/dept/bads/covid19-dashboard

And they have a chart that shows the increase in testing vs the increase in daily cases. They break it down very easily:

If the two lines are parallel, then the increase in cases could potentially be explained by increased testing.
If the cases increase faster than the tests, this suggests that the increase in cases cannot be explained by increased testing.

(edit - also assuming Texas)

Edited by Captain Ron

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Grow up. Seriously.

You should work on your analogies, cause they really suck. 

4 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Our talking heads are the prime example of do as I say, not as I do. But you can ignore that, I don’t care.

4 hours ago, dcar00 said:

'member that time Pam Cummings hero got caught not wearing a mask indoors after telling everyone to wear masks...yeah I 'member.

Was there anyone anywhere near Fauci during the half a minute that he lowered his mask?

You understand that masks make your face hot after a while, right?

Are you fucking retarded?

God damn.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 4

Was there anyone anywhere near Fauci during the half a minute that he lowered his mask?
You understand that masks make your face hot after a while, right?
Are you fucking retarded?
God damn.

Did you miss the mask less person right behind him? Aww his face got hot? Yes I realize it. It fucking sucks. I still wait until the moment I’m outside to remove it.

God damn.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away