Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Guest Lobo
3 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Reading the comments of Abbott's tweet video make me actually question how these people survive in every day life.  I guess the people I associated with in my life really are the 1% in terms of intelligence.

You're not kidding.  I just read the first ~20 posts or so.  My god, we are so much worse off than I thought.  I think they think that their surgeons wear masks so they don't get germs from the bodies they're operating on.  I would make a dental hygienist comparison but I don't think a lot of those people go to the dentist.  In all seriousness, his move it too little too late but holy shit, the stuff people are hurling at him. 

Again, you can say whatever the fuck you want online.  Lord knows I've tossed up a bunch of crap over the last few years, but there's an extremely high correlation right now between the shit you spew against logic and science, and how you probably act in public. and how you act in public these days gravely affects your fellow Texan.  Statistically speaking, many on here won't admit it, but there are several non-compliers (wrt social distancing, large gatherings, masks, etc.) on this site.  And I wish you guys all the best.  You think you're being liberty-minded men of principle.  But you're nothing but walking liabilities and me and the rest of the actual doers have the state are gonna have to carry for awhile.  Thanks for adding to our burden.   I wish your children had different role models.  No politics, but I bet you don't have Gov. Abbott's direct cell line.  I think we should call him and thank him for finally seeing the light.  

Seems to the complete opposite of what I've seen from so many other outlets, that it's the younger populations that are asymptomatic?  Specifically ages 10-19?
Saw that and wasn't sure what to make of it myself. They didn't give a lot of the underlying data so it's tough to tell how much credibility to give it, but Ochsner is a pretty respected organization.

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
8 hours ago, Hpara759 said:
I see that the New Mexico Governor has stepped up her game....now has included ground travelers to quarantine for 14 days. It will be interesting, I know numerous folks in the Texas Panhandle that own property on Lakes Ute and Conchas that make weekend trips to fish and water ski......Texas FM 1058 out of Texas into very sparsely populated back roads of New Mexico....
 https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/governor-tightens-travel-restrictions-requires-14-day-quarantine-for-out-of-state-visitors/5779118/?cat=500

I'm hoping CO will do the same. You guys need to get your shit together.

Hah, too late! My nephew is already at his place near Leadville with his two kids, their spouses & kids, plus his BIL’s family is on their way.

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
8 minutes ago, Armybrat said:
Hah, too late! My nephew is already at his place near Leadville with his two kids, their spouses & kids, plus his BIL’s family is on their way.

Tell them to wear their damn masks.

They all do, and his wife makes a lot of masks. They took all their food so they won’t be mingling with the locals.

• Like 1

I’m curious to hear people’s assessment of this data. Was the best move to go through 3 1/2 months of shit and get it over with?  Pretty fascinating case study

and since people always ask for the source. Here is the base data, but in Swedish. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 7/1/2020 at 5:33 PM, freyguy said:

dammit, I'm entering that 3784 age bracket in a couple of months....

So you’re almost as old as @Armybrat?

On 7/2/2020 at 4:54 PM, South Austin said:

Lulz.  None of those mouthbreathers are going to vote Democrat because Abbott told them to wear a fucking mask.

They were talking about the primaries, obviously. 

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Applying the previous positive test rate to recent testing numbers produces a potentially very flawed picture. Remember, at the beginning of this, test kits were extremely limited and only those who were showing symptoms were getting tested. So, yes, the percent positive rate would then be higher because only the sick were being tested.

Testing has since expanded greatly and even if you were just mildly curious, you could get tested (resulting in fewer positives as a share of total tested). In Austin though, the supplies have been diminished and they started restricting testing to only the symptomatic within the last few days. I doubt that's the case across the US.

So, again, hospitalizations is probably the best indicator for the prevalence of the virus as it is a solid indicator of actual illness.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 3

Applying the previous positive test rate to recent testing numbers produces a potentially very flawed picture. Remember, at the beginning of this, test kits were extremely limited and only those who were showing symptoms were getting tested. So, yes, the percent positive rate would then be higher because only the sick were being tested.
Testing has since expanded greatly and even if you were just mildly curious, you could get tested (resulting in fewer positives as a share of total tested). In Austin though, the supplies have been diminished and they started restricting testing to only the symptomatic within the last few days. I doubt that's the case across the US.
So, again, hospitalizations is probably the best indicator for the prevalence of the virus as it is a solid indicator of actual illness.

You’re right. It’s just something to look at. I do think alot of cases went undetected tho

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I do think alot of cases went undetected tho

A lot.  Just in the past day or so, Jimmie Johnson, a top NASCAR driver, tested positive, as did Donald Trump Jr's girlfriend (and Jr didn't).  From what was said, neither had symptoms, but they were caught because they were being tested every few days (or even every day).  One report said Jr's girlfriend tested positive in South Dakota, right before the rally.  Those are people who have to be tested every few days, either because they are in close proximity to a lot of people (Johnson) or are in close proximity to political leaders.  

Most of us don't have to tested for work, and definitely aren't going to be tested every few days, even though many of us have been exposed (assuming the projections are right and tens of millions of Americans had it).

I wonder how it would shape things if tests were extremely easy to get with fast results.   What if the numbers came back and 10s of millions of Americans had it?  Would the fact that many of them had no problems make a shit-ton more people say "fuck it" and ditch the masks and hand washing (which would lead to more infections and more hospitalizations)?  Or would it scare a lot of people?

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 4:39 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Be honest, do you ever get invited to parties?  I picture you like Justin Weiss Smith from Vic Mackey's Facebook feed.

I think I have it figured out. Lobo is GRENDEL. Same volatility, random rage-outs, weird tangents into smarm, apparent connections in the state capital and the Tower. Was GRENDEL into Seinfeld? That would be the clincher. 

• Like 1

And more for you https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states

now lets do a few places where cases are spiking. Florida https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/florida

Texas - https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/texas

Arizona - https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/arizona

Minnesota - not too bad yet, give it a few weeks. Far as I can tell y’all are about 3 to 4 weeks behind our opening “rules” here in Texas. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/minnesota

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, justhookit said:

Minnesota - not too bad yet, give it a few weeks. Far as I can tell y’all are about 3 to 4 weeks behind our opening “rules” here in Texas. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/minnesota

While overall cases in MN are staying flat, here's an interesting age view of who's getting it.  If you're over 30, you're taking it seriously.  

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smoky said:

While overall cases in MN are staying flat, here's an interesting age view of who's getting it.  If you're over 30, you're taking it seriously.  

spacer.png

Yeah, it’s exactly the same trend we started seeing in Texas right after Memorial Day. It’s how these new spikes start.

Guest Lobo
14 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I think I have it figured out. Lobo is GRENDEL. Same volatility, random rage-outs, weird tangents into smarm, apparent connections in the state capital and the Tower. Was GRENDEL into Seinfeld? That would be the clincher. 

You got me!  I am, in fact, Grendel.  Have some rep.  (no connections to the Tower though, I just say that to piss off Rex Kramer.  I didn't attend UT for very long).  

Edited by Lobo

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away