Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

20 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Dude had it for like three months....weird case for sure given his age and length of illness.  

Did he even die from COVID? He had a leg amputated while in the hospital - probably got MRSA or some other bacterial infection.

• Fuck You 1

59 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Did he even die from COVID? He had a leg amputated while in the hospital - probably got MRSA or some other bacterial infection.

Yes, because it would matter if MRSA was what took him out after being in the hospital for 3 months with . . . Covid-19.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Dude had it for like three months....weird case for sure given his age and length of illness.  

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Y'all need to find Jesus or something.  

Fuck.

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Welp- shit just got real. Camper in my daughter’s cabin tested positive and the cabin is being sent home. 

Just her cabin? Or the whole pod? How old is she? My daughter is 14 and my son is 12.

I'd say it's 50-50 that I'll need to jump in my car this week to drive up there to get them early.

11 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Missed this but what camp are we talking about?

Ozark

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

Just her cabin? Or the whole pod? How old is she? My daughter is 14 and my son is 12.

I'd say it's 50-50 that I'll need to jump in my car this week to drive up there to get them early.

Don’t know if it’s the cabin or the pod, but my daughter would probably be in the same pod as yours, based on their age.
I’m not on the ground up there and it sounds like they’ve got a plan. They have negative pressure room in the infirmary, isolation spaces on and off-site, etc. But with 3 cases in 72 hours and counting, I hope that this is it, and not the beginning of something much larger.

8 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

They’re legitimate questions but maybe contextually asked wrong. This is the exact line of reasoning when we look at proximate cause of death then secondary cause. It still would go down as a Covid death on the death certificate but sepsis or MRSA infection maybe the primary cause of death.

It is also helpful in moving forward to find out what complications in Covid infections cause death in seemingly healthy individuals.

Tragic case for sure.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

They’re legitimate questions but maybe contextually asked wrong. This is the exact line of reasoning when we look at proximate cause of death then secondary cause. It still would go down as a Covid death on the death certificate but sepsis or MRSA infection maybe the primary cause of death.

It is also helpful in moving forward to find out what complications in Covid infections cause death in seemingly healthy individuals.

Tragic case for sure.

He obviously had some underlying conditions that contributed to making him a high risk person.  Doesn't diminish his too young to pass from this Earth death.

EDIT:  Dahobbs how the hell do you function in life ?  You're always confused. They guy more than likely had issues that contributed to the covid virus. What's hard about that to understand. The reality of covid is it rarely kills normal healthy folks, what's so confusing about that ? 

Edited by Onboard 2.0

Wife and I tested positive over the weekend.  Happy 4th, right?!

We had a very mild version, I guess.  No fever.  I had like 2 days of body aches, a little cough.  She had a little nausea and some congestion.

Wife was exposed by a co-worker on the 22nd, so we're on the tail end of our 14 day period.

I guess we'll see what this week brings, but according to her Dr. we should be good to go..

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

He obviously had some underlying conditions that contributed to making him a high risk person.  Doesn't diminish his too young to pass from this Earth death.

I don't think that is obvious. It is possible, but so far there has been no mention of serious underlying conditions. What is obvious is that he suffered from unusual and severe complications. Whether that is due to some unique trait to him or to random chance is an open question. 

• Like 1

I had to go pull a call from one of our call center reps who didn't handle a sensitive issue very well. Understandable, her own family just went through a SIDS death, so she probably shouldn't even have been back at work.

Anyway, customer was distraught over return shipping on a birthday present that her two year old granddaughter won't be using, seeing as she died of COVID a week ago. And her 5 year old sister probably couldn't use it, either, given that she's just been put on a ventilator for, you know, COVID.

The science and the data are great and all, and the demographic evidence for who is at risk is kinda neat for those who want to make wonky policy decisions. But anecdotal or not, I'm going to have a hard time letting the two hour conversation I had with this customer when i called her back not influence how I respond to Coronavirus related issues going forward, because holy fuck, I did not need all of this floating around in my head.

2020 can go fuck itself.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't think that is obvious. It is possible, but so far there has been no mention of serious underlying conditions. What is obvious is that he suffered from unusual and severe complications. Whether that is due to some unique trait to him or to random chance is an open question. 

Statistically speaking it is fairly obvious.  The death rate for folks in his age bracket is small compared to older people, and folks with other other issues.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Statistically speaking it is fairly obvious.  The death rate for folks in his age bracket is small compared to older people, and folks with other other issues.

? Death rates in healthy adults his age may be low, but they aren't zero. All I've seen (mainly posts from the wife) is that he was healthy beforehand without any severe underlying conditions. So, no, I don't think it is obvious. He could have just been an unlucky individual.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

? Death rates in healthy adults his age may be low, but they aren't zero. All I've seen (mainly posts from the wife) is that he was healthy beforehand without any severe underlying conditions. So, no, I don't think it is obvious. He could have just been an unlucky individual.  

Thanks they are low, that's called statistics., And many of them had something else that contributed like poor health, poor medical treatment or yes bad luck.  Not sure what's so tough about that to grasp.  My comment wasn't meant to be an absolute, it was a generally factual comment about folks in his age group.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Thanks they are low, that's called statistics., And many of them had something else that contributed like poor health, poor medical treatment or yes bad luck.  Not aura what;s so tough about that to grasp.  My comment was meant to be an absolute, it was a generally factual comment about folks in his age group.

The term "obvious" is my hang up here. I interpret that to be a statement of certainty. You could have said that chances are high that he had some underlying condition, and I would have agreed. But I don't think it is obviously true that he had such a condition, especially given that the public comments from his wife have been the opposite as far as I recall. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Hate said:

Based on the symptoms you mentioned above, would you have suspected COVID if you hadn’t known you had been exposed to it?

Edit: intended for@tylerocks.

Not at all, they were that mild.

The danger of this is the fact that so many people can be asymptomatic or like me, showing very little in the way of symptoms, that they go on with life, unknowingly spreading it.

• Like 1

He also fell ill very early in the pandemic here in US so that could’ve been a contributing factor. He was in bad shape from the very beginning. We know a lot more about treating serious cases than we did two months ago.
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The term "obvious" is my hang up here. I interpret that to be a statement of certainty. You could have said that chances are high that he had some underlying condition, and I would have agreed. But I don't think it is obviously true that he had such a condition, especially given that the public comments from his wife have been the opposite as far as I recall. 

I think many people are lumping genetic predisposition in with underlying conditions, known or unknown.  He may not have had the beetus or other obvious comorbidities, but he may have hit the genetic lottery for something the bug really likes.  There's still a ton of shit we don't know about the virus, which is why its cavalier to roll with the "young people don't get sick" model of opening shit up.  Its a lower risk, but there is still a clear risk of death to anyone with this disease.  That is why its better to prevent infection for as many people as possible until we have a vaccine or some other form of treatment in place.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Damn we haven’t seen a bno tweet in weeks

They went dark for a little while.  Apparently its a really small outfit and they lost one of their key guys for a while because of a death in the family IIRC.  

• Like 3

Fuck.

Weird response to somebody just pointing out a fact (sick with it for 3 months) and that it seemed weird against the norm we have seen with the vast majority in that age group.

Maybe dial back the hypersensitivity.

29 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Weird response to somebody just pointing out a fact (sick with it for 3 months) and that it seemed weird against the norm we have seen with the vast majority in that age group.

Maybe dial back the hypersensitivity.

Sorry.  Probably shouldn't have included your post.  Fat fingers and one too many beers last night.  

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Thanks they are low, that's called statistics., And many of them had something else that contributed like poor health, poor medical treatment or yes bad luck.  Not sure what's so tough about that to grasp.  My comment wasn't meant to be an absolute, it was a generally factual comment about folks in his age group.

what's tough to grasp is that someone rightly pointed out that it's not obvious he had underlying conditions and you went full retard. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Those kids and parents don't care whether their asses are in a classroom or a bedroom, the name of the institution on the degree is all that matters.

Unless it's Harvard Extension Online University Whatever.  Then you can run for Austin City Council.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

what's tough to grasp is that someone rightly pointed out that it's not obvious he had underlying conditions and you went full retard. 

How many people have had to have a leg amputated as a result of corona virus ?  I'd say that's a big indicator something else may have been going on, unless he just coincidently contracted something else in the hospital that caused the need to remove a limb.  

The removal of his leg was why I stated there obviously (my fuck up for using the word obviously, apparently that has some pretty damned specific triggering mechanisms for some of y'all) was something else going on with him.  But hey you don't like many of my posts any way so carry on...

44 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

How many people have had to have a leg amputated as a result of corona virus ?  I'd say that's a big indicator something else may have been going on, unless he just coincidently contracted something else in the hospital that caused the need to remove a limb.  

Cytokine storm immune over-response causes rapid deterioration in otherwise mild cases. It's the most dangerous and life threatening event related to covid. We didn't know this early on. One of the results is blood clots... For example, ~a third of those in a Dutch ICU had blood clots... These can cause damage all over the body including blocking off blood flow to legs. 

• Like 4

The removal of his leg was why I stated there obviously (my fuck up for using the word obviously, apparently that has some pretty damned specific triggering mechanisms for some of y'all) was something else going on with him.  But hey you don't like many of my posts any way so carry on...

You know, at some point you should just acknowledge that you got out over your skis on this.

We all do every once in a while.
  • Like 3

Just now, DDD Dad said:

You know, at some point you should just acknowledge that you got out over your skis on this.

We all do every once in a while.

Over my skis ? I made a statement that a young guy obviously had something else going on. I should have said he probably had something else going on.  Is that  Better ?  Make everyone feel the i's and t's have been dotted and crossed properly ?

I don't live and die by what I or anyone else posts here.

Over my skis ? I made a statement that a young guy obviously had something else going on. I should have said he probably had something else going on.  Is that  Better ?  Make everyone feel the i's and t's have been dotted and crossed properly ?
 I don't live and die by what I or anyone else posts here.

Clearly not. If you did you’d continue to stand your ground on a stupid point after being repeatedly pantsed.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/4/2020 at 10:44 PM, Neonmoon said:

England opening up pubs and restaurants. By the lines shown on the news, I don’t think they learned our lesson. 

Most of what made the news was Soho, which I heard was an absolute shitshow.  Other parts of Central London were pretty reasonable from comments I had from friends over there.  Many pubs are also requiring bookings for up to 2.5 hours of drinking at spaced out tables.  The bars tend to have shields to avoid contact with customers and bartenders.

It certainly didn't look ideal over there but not as loose as we have been in the US.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away