Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

16 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Ozark

Don’t know if it’s the cabin or the pod, but my daughter would probably be in the same pod as yours, based on their age.
I’m not on the ground up there and it sounds like they’ve got a plan. They have negative pressure room in the infirmary, isolation spaces on and off-site, etc. But with 3 cases in 72 hours and counting, I hope that this is it, and not the beginning of something much larger.

Any update on this?  Mine will be going on Sunday.  The lack of transparency is pissing me off.

7 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Did I miss something or did limb amputee suddenly become a covid symptom?

It’s not a symptom, it’s a potential impact of getting it.  There are plenty of articles talking about how this respiratory disease has a lot of non respiratory impacts. Which is why some of us keep trying to stress that this isn’t something young people (or older people for young people) should be cavalier about. This isn’t the damn flu. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bregs said:

Any update on this?  Mine will be going on Sunday.  The lack of transparency is pissing me off.

I got her home yesterday. The short version is that a kid in my daughters cabin had a low fever, and her friend was complaining of not feeling well, so they both went in together. The friend tested positive. While this was happening they moved the cabin to a house outside the camp, and returned them later, giving them a short time to pack a bag for the trip. They are shipping The rest of their stuff (locker etc) home. My kid is exhausted and we are all observing her.she has no fever but a little sore throat, which isn’t unusual for her this time of year. She is quarantined in the master suite. Our other daughter is staying with her uncle. 

I don’t know what to think that this point. They are trying to create what they call an “island of safety”, which sustained multiple breaches over the last 10 days. They are communicating with parents whose kids are already there about what happened. Are they communicating with you? 

Take a look at photo stream on the app and look as session and cabin photos. Masks are being worn indoors, but it otherwise looks like a normal camp session with a ton of hugging, sports, and a general lack of social distance because camp is not about social distance.  The camp is in a tough spot and I empathize. Without a government ordered shutdown they don’t have any options. These are family businesses doing as well as they can. 

Knowing what I know now, I would ask three questions 

1)  Your kid may be sent home early, and you may have to pick them up at a moment’s notice. Is that OK?

2) You may have to no-joke quarantine them for a while when they get home. Not isolate them. Quarantine. And isolate yourself. Can you manage a quarantine?

3) Your child may get coronavirus and spread it to you and others.Is that worth it? 

Hopefully our daughter didn’t get it, and we can put our guard down in 10 days or so. But in retrospect I wish we had made a different decision.

• Like 5

Piss off, I like the space. No space looks cramped between exclamation, and question marks. I only keep it tight on periods, commas, and semi colons.  Come at me brah !
And a space looks like idiot boomer-type, but you do you.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:
Piss off, I like the space. No space looks cramped between exclamation, and question marks. I only keep it tight on periods, commas, and semi colons.  Come at me brah !

Piss off.  You do you, I'm sure that's a lot to manage.  I always love the whole boomer bashing thing, makes you look like a child.

33 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

For real though, in your actual life, people are judging you over the space. But hey, if you're a 60+ year old that struggles with technology and you want people to know that right up front, keep the space.

• Like 1

Just now, B00M said:

For real though, in your actual life, people are judging you over the space. But hey, if you're a 60+ year old that struggles with technology and you want people to know that right up front, keep the space.

Since when is grammar technological ?  I love that it bothers you.  Oh noes........ people are judging the space I leave between a word and a punctuation mark. Whatever will I do.  

Anyone judging anyone over something like needs a hobby or a life.  

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:
2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Kerning talk not going away.

• Like 1

Our kids were scheduled for a couple of camps and we ended up canceling them. There was no way they were going to be able to keep kids from being kids and we have one in a higher risk group. The big camp they go to ended up canceling all summer sessions which made the discussion easier. This is all just a precursor to what school reopening will look like.

9 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I sure remember a lot of talk about Sweden in this thread. Oops. 

Yeah that was dumb as shit.  To take that kind of risk was batshit crazy, but we aren’t exactly crushing it stateside either.  I know you’re not tooting our horn but has to be mentioned, we’re being laughed at too...

• Like 1

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah that was dumb as shit.  To take that kind of risk was batshit crazy, but we aren’t exactly crushing it stateside either.  I know you’re not tooting our horn but has to be mentioned, we’re being laughed at too...

Probably more prescriptive to compare Sweden to its European neighbors who have it under control now, not our dumb asses.

• Like 2

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Study based on those reliable antibody tests?

Well, not just that.  There’s also talk antibodies can wear off but you may still be immune (T cells etc).  But the initial point stands, even factoring all that in, pretty much nobody is saying they’re getting anywhere near herd immunity anytime soon...

• Like 2

Got word today that there's a good chance my employer will not be letting anyone back into the office until first of next year. Probably 1/4 of the workforce, 150? out of 600 - if that many,  still reports to the office but those working from home will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I might as well just go ahead and buy my retirement beach house now, who's going to know the difference?

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I sure remember a lot of talk about Sweden in this thread. Oops. 

from the article:

More than three months later, the coronavirus is blamed for 5,420 deaths in Sweden, according to the World Health Organization. That might not sound especially horrendous compared with the more than 129,000 Americans who have died. But Sweden is a country of only 10 million people. Per million people, Sweden has suffered 40 percent more deaths than the United States, 12 times more than Norway, seven times more than Finland and six times more than Denmark.

At that rate, Texas would have almost exactly 15,000 deaths.  We'd be freaking the F out. OK, maybe not Dan Patrick.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Well, not just that.  There’s also talk antibodies can wear off but you may still be immune (T cells etc).  But the initial point stands, even factoring all that in, pretty much nobody is saying they’re getting anywhere near herd immunity anytime soon...

I think we need to wait 2 more weeks to really know.

Got word today that there's a good chance my employer will not be letting anyone back into the office until first of next year. Probably 1/4 of the workforce, 150? out of 600 - if that many,  still reports to the office but those working from home will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I might as well just go ahead and buy my retirement beach house now, who's going to know the difference?
I don't know why any office setting is having employees come in right now. It makes no sense.

18 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
44 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I don't know why any office setting is having employees come in right now. It makes no sense.

They're taking plenty of precautions as you can see by the preemptive order to continue sheltering in place for the remainder of the year. Those who do report to the office are wearing masks 100% of the time and strict social distancing is being enforced. It's a business that requires a lot of hands on paper work or the infrastructure was never designed for some of the most sensitive information to be sent outside of the internal security systems. I'm sure this has them rethinking a lot of things but they're taking care of the workers the best they can as I see it anyway.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:
2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

We do a rotational thing because the nature of our work (paper filings to Immigration Services - fucking government won't go to electronic filings yet) - 1-2 days per week and everyone is extremely spread out (and the office is only at 55% capacity in terms of desk/office space since before COVID).  Not even sure there's 10 people here per day.

They said this will probably last through the end of 2021. 

Edited by Js1

The NYT's agenda on full display with this article. No mention of the fact that despite a complete lack of lockdown, there have been no new COVID patients admitted to the ICU in Stockholm’s largest hospital for over two weeks. As of today, there are no actively contagious COVID patients in that same hospital. It was all over the news in Sweden. This is a huge victory, and a key indicator that Sweden is “well over the main hump” of surging cases.

This article also completely ignores the social cost of lockdown. The US is already seeing rising rates of violence, depression, and suicide. Children have been out of school for months, and at what cost to their mental health? What about all the diseases that have gone undetected and untreated, thanks to clinics closing down? The side effects are endless, and they can’t be discounted. 

Norway, Denmark, and Finland will all see surges once they ease their lockdowns—just as California was once lauded as a leader in the COVID fight, then crumbled upon reopening. Sweden took a long haul approach that they knew their people could sustain for months, if not years. This is a marathon, not a sprint. 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We do a rotational thing because the nature of our work (paper filings to Immigration Services - fucking government won't go to electronic filings yet) - 1-2 days per week and everyone is extremely spread out (and the office is only at 55% capacity in terms of desk/office space since before COVID).  Not even sure there's 10 people here per day.

They said this will probably last through the end of 2021. 

Some of the poor bastards that do have to go to the office are on a rotation here also. Work some from home and the days they are required to go into the office are staggered with others in the same boat.

6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

No mention of the fact that despite a complete lack of lockdown, there have been no new COVID patients admitted to the ICU in Stockholm’s largest hospital for over two weeks. As of today, there are no actively contagious COVID patients in that same hospital. It was all over the news in Sweden. This is a huge victory, and a key indicator that Sweden is “well over the main hump” of surging cases.

This article also completely ignores the social cost of lockdown. The US is already seeing rising rates of violence, depression, and suicide. Children have been out of school for months, and at what cost to their mental health? What about all the diseases that have gone undetected and untreated, thanks to clinics closing down? The side effects are endless, and they can’t be discounted. 

Norway, Denmark, and Finland will all see surges once they ease their lockdowns—just as California was once lauded as a leader in the COVID fight, then crumbled upon reopening. Sweden took a long haul approach that they knew their people could sustain for months, if not years. This is a marathon, not a sprint. 

Their bikini team is aight but I don't know that the "kill the weak ones and let the rest sort it out" strategy has proven itself just yet. What if the disease causes long term health issues among the ones who recover the first time and the SECOND time you contract it you get really sick and DIE. Who's going to be laughing then? The bikini girls?

Edited by El Diablo

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away