Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

They're taking plenty of precautions as you can see by the preemptive order to continue sheltering in place for the remainder of the year. Those who do report to the office are wearing masks 100% of the time and strict social distancing is being enforced. It's a business that requires a lot of hands on paper work or the infrastructure was never designed for some of the most sensitive information to be sent outside of the internal security systems. I'm sure this has them rethinking a lot of things but they're taking care of the workers the best they can as I see it anyway.

We do a rotational thing because the nature of our work (paper filings to Immigration Services - fucking government won't go to electronic filings yet) - 1-2 days per week and everyone is extremely spread out (and the office is only at 55% capacity in terms of desk/office space since before COVID).  Not even sure there's 10 people here per day.
They said this will probably last through the end of 2021. 

I should've caveated with "if they don't have to be there," obviously so my mistake there. If you've gotta do something in person like actual paperwork for whatever reason then you gotta do it. I've just seen/ heard several stories, both from friends and online, about people going back in after having already been remote.

13 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Their bikini team is aight but I don't know that the "kill the weak ones and let the rest sort it out" strategy has proven itself just yet. What if the disease causes long term health issues among the ones who recover the first time and the SECOND time you contract it you get really sick and DIE. Who's going to be laughing then? The bikini girls?

The NYT should be ashamed of printing that article. It is incredibly biased and cherry picks data to a ridiculous degree. Their strategy was to keep their hospitals from being overloaded, have sustainable practices for the long haul without the herky jerky lockdowns we are seeing and to reach herd immunity.  Stockholm is pretty much through this with 20 percent of the population with anti-bodies and an estimated additional 40 percent with T-cell immunity. The vast majority of their deaths were from those in nursing homes and over 80. They acknowledged they could have done a better job in isolating the olds. Unlike the Karens here who would never allow us to follow such a sensible policy, Swedes can have a frank discussion on the costs associated with keeping those at the end of their lives alive vs hamstringing the rest of society. They still had kids in school. I still have my money on them being correct. 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The NYT should be ashamed of printing that article. It is incredibly biased and cherry picks data to a ridiculous degree. Their strategy was to keep their hospitals from being overloaded, have sustainable practices for the long haul without the herky jerky lockdowns we are seeing and to reach herd immunity.  Stockholm is pretty much through this with 20 percent of the population with anti-bodies and an estimated additional 40 percent with T-cell immunity. The vast majority of their deaths were from those in nursing homes and over 80. They acknowledged they could have done a better job in isolating the olds. Unlike the Karens here who would never allow us to follow such a sensible policy, Swedes can have a frank discussion on the costs associated with keeping those at the end of their lives alive vs hamstringing the rest of society. They still had kids in school. I still have my money on them being correct. 

well it is the NYT.  the reality is no one knows yet.  in 2 weeks we will know about Texas/CA/others. yes keeping it away from the olds is and has been the key from day one.

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

well it is the NYT.  the reality is no one knows yet.  in 2 weeks we will know about Texas/CA/others. yes keeping it away from the olds is and has been the key from day o

2 hours ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

from the article:

At that rate, Texas would have almost exactly 15,000 deaths.  We'd be freaking the F out. OK, maybe not Dan Patrick.

And yet this site was super dismissive of everything that was happening in NY. 

Several on this board spent a lot of time explaining why NY was an anomaly and lecturing the rest why this whole thing was overblown.

Wishful thinking only gets one so far.

• Like 1

What if the disease causes long term health issues among the ones who recover the first time and the SECOND time you contract it you get really sick and DIE. Who's going to be laughing then? The bikini girls?

Yes at the bronze medalist in long term health issues behind the gold medal winner HFCS and tobacco sliding in with the silver. Everybody laughs at the bronze medalist.

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

And yet this site was super dismissive of everything that was happening in NY. 

Several on this board spent a lot of time explaining why NY was an anomaly and lecturing the rest why this whole thing was overblown.

Wishful thinking only gets one so far.

yep just wait until NY/NJ/Mass happens here.  its inevitable.

15 minutes ago, texastough said:

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm but for the last three months we've been hearing the same thing "we'll know a lot more in a couple weeks!"

And we do know a lot every two weeks. We know that some places are blowing up, other places are getting it under control. We know more about spread, the virus itself, new challenges, dismissing myths. Ya know, learning by watching and gathering data. 

• Like 1

Hays update. 

Hays County Judge Ruben Becerra
1 hr  · Shared with Public

COVID-19 Update 7.7.20: 50 new lab confirmed positive cases today, 1 new hospitalization reported, and 53 new recoveries.
Please note, testing was halted for non-emergent patients for a period of nine days.  The dip in confirmed cases is in line with the lack of testing.  
Please don’t stop being careful!

So, I was at the store today and saw a coworker who was diagnosed positive 3 days ago. First person Ive known to have it, anyway he put his finger up to his mask like shhh and kept on shopping. I was about 20 yards away. The virus doesnt work me up like some on this board but still kinda freaked me out. If he's doing it I'm sure others are. Wife wanted me to notify someone,  but I'm not even sure who that would be.

2 minutes ago, rpspeed said:

So, I was at the store today and saw a coworker who was diagnosed positive 3 days ago. First person Ive known to have it, anyway he put his finger up to his mask like shhh and kept on shopping. I was about 20 yards away. The virus doesnt work me up like some on this board but still kinda freaked me out. If he's doing it I'm sure others are. Wife wanted me to notify someone,  but I'm not even sure who that would be.

You yell across produce “hey Frank, didn’t your wife tell my wife you tested COVID positive?”

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

The NYT's agenda on full display with this article. No mention of the fact that despite a complete lack of lockdown, there have been no new COVID patients admitted to the ICU in Stockholm’s largest hospital for over two weeks. As of today, there are no actively contagious COVID patients in that same hospital. It was all over the news in Sweden. This is a huge victory, and a key indicator that Sweden is “well over the main hump” of surging cases.
This article also completely ignores the social cost of lockdown. The US is already seeing rising rates of violence, depression, and suicide. Children have been out of school for months, and at what cost to their mental health? What about all the diseases that have gone undetected and untreated, thanks to clinics closing down? The side effects are endless, and they can’t be discounted. 
Norway, Denmark, and Finland will all see surges once they ease their lockdowns—just as California was once lauded as a leader in the COVID fight, then crumbled upon reopening. Sweden took a long haul approach that they knew their people could sustain for months, if not years. This is a marathon, not a sprint. 

What agenda is that, exactly?

You yell across produce “hey Frank, didn’t your wife tell my wife you tested COVID positive?”

More like, “Hey Frank, your wife told me this morning after finishing me off that you tested COVID positive”.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rpspeed said:

I feel like I have been level headed through this thin:, sheltering, masking up and generally being cautious based on my standards but not overly emotional about it.   That being said, I would call this person out immediately and tell the store to kick him out even if caused the end of any social or professional relationship I had with him.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rpspeed said:

Here's what is dangerous about society and the virus, at this point. There is a segment that is doing their absolute best to social distance, mask up, and exercise general caution in all things. Then there are those who don't think this is a big deal, at all, and no harm will come from this. This has led to people outright ignoring guidelines because they see no harm in their actions and there are real consequences to this.  

A concern in my own family, which has a large number of people not taking this seriously, is that family members will lie to get us to visit. We are comfortable visiting with a small number of people that we absolutely trust in. We are beyond comfortable when they assure us that they have been staying home and masking up when it is absolutely necessary to go out. Then there is the contingent in our family that don't think this is a big deal. If they strongly believe that there isn't any real danger in COVID, what's to keep them from telling what would be, to them, a little white lie to get us to come over? In their mind, no harm will come from telling us what we want to hear. This has led to uncomfortable conversations between us and certain family members that my wife and I have identified as possible offenders of this.

Unfortunately, the majority of these possible offenders interact closely with the obviously at-risk members of the family. And those at-risk in my family are less educated and from a time and place where technology and general science was unnecessary to their survival. They see no value in it. So they get their information from sources they trust, begrudgingly do the bare minimum, and don't verify that others are doing the same before seeing them. I unfortunately find myself, in a morbid and selfish fashion, hoping that someone close enough to our family, but outside of it, gets real sick with this so that my family will finally take this seriously and protect themselves. I've said it before in this thread that some people won't listen until they get a newspaper on the snout. I said that out of personal experience. 

• Like 8

Oh hellllll no. What a piece of shit. I'm not sure what you can do either though. Just burting it out in the store might be the most effective thing to do.

People do it. Your co-worker. There was a poster on here who mentioned their daughter's friend going out barhopping after testing positive. A guy got banned from jet blue for life for getting on a plane with a test pending. A US senator (won't name so as to avoid CR) made a bunch of colleagues quarantine becauseb he used the gym and shit while waiting on a test.

This country is fucking stupid and selfish.
  • Like 2

Shit, every day my roommate deals with volunteers who show up knowing they were exposed. EVERY FUCKING DAY. And her boss does not want to send these volunteers home since that would be insensitive and it is not "proven." Hays is not testing just anyone so how the hell are you going to know? It makes her coming home from work an interesting endeavor. 

52 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

A concern in my own family, which has a large number of people not taking this seriously, is that family members will lie to get us to visit. We are comfortable visiting with a small number of people that we absolutely trust in. We are beyond comfortable when they assure us that they have been staying home and masking up when it is absolutely necessary to go out. Then there is the contingent in our family that don't think this is a big deal. If they strongly believe that there isn't any real danger in COVID, what's to keep them from telling what would be, to them, a little white lie to get us to come over? In their mind, no harm will come from telling us what we want to hear. This has led to uncomfortable conversations between us and certain family members that my wife and I have identified as possible offenders of this.

Unfortunately, the majority of these possible offenders interact closely with the obviously at-risk members of the family. And those at-risk in my family are less educated and from a time and place where technology and general science was unnecessary to their survival. They see no value in it. So they get their information from sources they trust, begrudgingly do the bare minimum, and don't verify that others are doing the same before seeing them. I unfortunately find myself, in a morbid and selfish fashion, hoping that someone close enough to our family, but outside of it, gets real sick with this so that my family will finally take this seriously and protect themselves. I've said it before in this thread that some people won't listen until they get a newspaper on the snout. I said that out of personal experience. 

Man dealing with this right now on such a larger scale.  My wife's cousin is apparently full speed ahead on her damn wedding in a few days.  100+ people are supposed to attend.  We'll see how many actually show but you know damn well the ones that do show are the exact people you would want to avoid.  My wife is the fucking maid of honor.  I'm sure her cousin regrets that at this point as my wife hasn't been overly supportive and skipped the "bachelorette party" as COVID was starting to ramp up.  The fucked up thing is I think a big part of what's driving this, beyond their MAGA belief that everything is a hoax and fake news and 'just a flu' (and that is all real belief, don't get me started, the brainwashing is truly something to witness first hand if you don't know people like this), is that the bride's younger brother passed unexpectedly several months back. So that family is needing a "win" or "happy day" so much they are flat refusing to acknowledge any risk.  The even sadder part is I'm pretty convinced the brother would have absolutely been the voice of reason calling bullshit on this if he were alive.  In any event, there are numerous very high risk family members attending this.  Again, from what I can tell, with little concern.  It all really blows my mind.  I'm pretty much refusing to go.  Both on pure principle, and from the practical perspective that we reduce our chances if both aren't there, and if my wife gets it, at least we can hopefully stagger being sick while taking care of our kids since obviously grandparents can't help when in COVID quarantine.   Even if nothing happens the pure selfishness of it (I haven't even mentioned the comments I've seen they made mad about out of town friends and family that backed out) will probably result in some significant resentment from me indefinitely.  And probably even from my wife who is much, much nicer than me. 

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 6

40 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Here's what is dangerous about society and the virus, at this point. There is a segment that is doing their absolute best to social distance, mask up, and exercise general caution in all things. Then there are those who don't think this is a big deal, at all, and no harm will come from this. This has led to people outright ignoring guidelines because they see no harm in their actions and there are real consequences to this.  

Same problem here. There was a big hornets nest a few weeks ago where my pregnant wife and SIL got into it because we wouldn't go to our niece's birthday party but we recently went camping at the lake with two friends. SIL couldn't differentiate between sitting 15 feet from two other people (who have been very cautious) in the outdoors across a campfire, and going to 20-30 person party in a 900 sqft apartment with a bunch of Wacoans who think it's a hoax.

I'm sure it's creating all kinds of tension amongst families everywhere.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, slorch said:

All of the deniers should be dead soon...

Nah, a lot of the deniers are young and healthy...they'll just take it to some poor old bastard who couldn't help but be around said person and he ends up dead.  See Eastwood's post above. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eastwood said:

This is what's happening with families everywhere.  Sad.  

2 hours ago, Eastwood said:

i'm currently  in the same predicament with my family. luckly/unluckly, I live in DC.

i'm sorry Texas.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Oh hellllll no. What a piece of shit. I'm not sure what you can do either though. Just burting it out in the store might be the most effective thing to do.

People do it. Your co-worker. There was a poster on here who mentioned their daughter's friend going out barhopping after testing positive. A guy got banned from jet blue for life for getting on a plane with a test pending. A US senator (won't name so as to avoid CR) made a bunch of colleagues quarantine becauseb he used the gym and shit while waiting on a test.

This country is fucking stupid and selfish.

See, naming them wouldn't be CR as long as you didn't say "stupid libtard" or "fucking Nazi conservative"  while describing the perpetrator.  Stupid knows no political ideology. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Hate said:

See, naming them wouldn't be CR as long as you didn't say "stupid libtard" or "fucking Nazi conservative"  while describing the perpetrator.  Stupid knows no political ideology. 

Rand seems like a shitty person. 

• Like 1

Stupid people said a lot of stupid things early on. For the most part, they’re still here saying stupid things. They’re just saying different stupid things now. They’ve forgotten or abandoned the stupid things they said a few weeks ago now that the stupidity of those things has borne out. 
The stupid voices on this site (and its predecessors) don’t ever change. Their cycle of stupidity repeats over and over: stupid fucking idiots post stupid shit; reasonable, intelligent posters respond and point out the stupidity of the stupid shit; stupid fucking idiots double down on stupid; pages of one-sided debate ensue; time passes; stupid fucking idiots are eventually prove wrong on previous stupid shit, so they start posting some new brand of stupid shit; and, like Sisyphus, reasonable posters lean against the boulder of stupidity and restart the uphill push yet again.
Welcome to the Internet.

Candidate for longest surly motto ever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Looks legit to me. It’s cheaper than the 5 million dollar warehouse MN bought to store dead bodies since the models said there’d be 700 deaths today.

There were 3

We set a record yesterday with 60! Do deaths lag by 4 weeks? They didn't lag that much up in the north east.

My guess is we got about 3 more weeks of the sky is falling alarmist noise before this thing will have mostly run its course.

Once the fear subsides in August after we've thoroughly fucked up the college football season I am sure the fart huffers in the media will tell us the aliens are invading and that we have no chance at survival.

Guest Lobo

I dunno, doesn't look like hospitalizations are subsiding, they're ramping up. 

I feel like that scene in "Airplane!"  

"A hospital?  What is it?"

"It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now."  

Also, am I the only one still taking hydroxycholoroquine?  I feel like high school all over again, nobody told me the cool people stopped taking a certain drug.  

The most popular tourist destination in Wisconsin has an outbreak of disease.

The Juneau County Health Department said an outbreak was reported at the Cruisin' Chubbys Gentlemen's Club in Wisconsin Dells on Friday.

An outbreak can be declared if two or more people test positive for Covid-19 after attending the same establishment or singular event, according to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.

Crusin Chubbys was required to shut down in March in response to the coronavirus pandemic, as it was deemed a nonessential business. But the company announced on 27 May it was “open and back in action” for customers. Two weeks later health officials would declare an outbreak at the establishment.

The news release warned anyone who visited the strip club between 10 June to 14 June may have been exposed to the novel virus and were asked to monitor their symptoms.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-strip-club-outbreak-wisconsin-cruisin-chubbys-covid-19-a9578046.html

17 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

52 minutes ago, slorch said:

the fear will not be allowed to subside...

It'll be ramped up.

You might be right, it is a possibility. But do you honestly think the first quoted post is nothing to be scared about? 

• Fuck You 1

Florida has about 6,115 ICU beds. Based on best available data, we estimate that 57% (3,480) are currently occupied by non-COVID patients. Of the 2,635 ICU beds remaining, we estimate 1,021 are needed by COVID cases, or 39% of available beds. This suggests there is likely enough capacity to absorb a wave of new COVID infections.

Assuming current trends and interventions continue, Florida hospitals are unlikely to become overloaded in the next 30 days. However, any reopening should happen in a slow and phased fashion. If all restrictions were completely lifted today, hospitals would overload on August 7, 2020.

https://covidactnow.org/us/fl/?s=61890

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Like 2

Miami-Dade County, Florida has about 971 ICU beds. Based on best available data, we estimate that 54% (524) are currently occupied by non-COVID patients. Of the 447 ICU beds remaining, we estimate 267 are needed by COVID cases, or 60% of available beds. This suggests some ability to absorb an increase in COVID cases

Assuming current trends and interventions continue, Miami-Dade County, Florida hospitals are unlikely to become overloaded in the next 30 days. However, any reopening should happen in a slow and phased fashion. If all restrictions were completely lifted today, hospitals would overload on July 31, 2020.

https://covidactnow.org/us/fl/county/miami_dade_county?s=61890

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Like 1

Why are you spamming this thread with useless information? Do you believe that cherry-picking data somehow disproves the fact that there are places and hospitals in the state that are at 100% capacity?

What are you trying to accomplish, besides being obnoxious?

Edited by BradInATX

Palm Beach County, Florida has about 407 ICU beds. Based on best available data, we estimate that 60% (244) are currently occupied by non-COVID patients. Of the 163 ICU beds remaining, we estimate 126 are needed by COVID cases, or 77% of available beds. This suggests hospitals cannot absorb a wave of new COVID infections without substantial surge capacity. Aggressive action urgently needed.

image.png.172a2653deaf095c42e7f9089c24b7f2.png

https://covidactnow.org/us/fl/county/palm_beach_county?s=61890

Polk County, Florida has about 159 ICU beds. Based on best available data, we estimate that 56% (89) are currently occupied by non-COVID patients. Of the 70 ICU beds remaining, we estimate 93 are needed by COVID cases, or >100% of available beds. This suggests hospitals cannot absorb a wave of new COVID infections without substantial surge capacity. Aggressive action urgently needed.

image.png.8d5eb96104887f59ca9dba28a18e0477.png

https://covidactnow.org/us/fl/county/polk_county?s=61890

Leon County, Florida has about 72 ICU beds. Based on best available data, we estimate that 46% (33) are currently occupied by non-COVID patients. Of the 39 ICU beds remaining, we estimate 106 are needed by COVID cases, or >100% of available beds. This suggests hospitals cannot absorb a wave of new COVID infections without substantial surge capacity. Aggressive action urgently needed.

image.png.0c92a88ff7fa46593f2802604eaba22d.png

https://covidactnow.org/us/fl/county/leon_county?s=61890

Bay County, Florida has about 80 ICU beds. Based on best available data, we estimate that 43% (34) are currently occupied by non-COVID patients. Of the 46 ICU beds remaining, we estimate 36 are needed by COVID cases, or 78% of available beds. This suggests hospitals cannot absorb a wave of new COVID infections without substantial surge capacity. Aggressive action urgently needed.

image.png.109447fe5bffd268da01c741e61968e4.png

https://covidactnow.org/us/fl/county/bay_county?s=61890

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EuroHorn said:

Also when you show up to one of those 57 hospitals and need ICU care they often transfer you.  Your odds of dying go up exponentially when you’re in an ambulance or chopper vs an ICU.  

This shouldn’t be happening in the USA.  Also doctors right now often maintain some capacity by only allowing the worst of the worst to end up in the ICU.  If I have to explain why that’s dangerous too, you might be too stupid to discuss any of this with.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

The Juneau County Health Department said an outbreak was reported at the Cruisin' Chubbys Gentlemen's Club in Wisconsin Dells on Friday.

An outbreak can be declared if two or more people test positive for Covid-19 after attending the same establishment or singular event, according to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.

Crusin Chubbys was required to shut down in March in response to the coronavirus pandemic, as it was deemed a nonessential business. But the company announced on 27 May it was “open and back in action” for customers. Two weeks later health officials would declare an outbreak at the establishment.

The news release warned anyone who visited the strip club between 10 June to 14 June may have been exposed to the novel virus and were asked to monitor their symptoms.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-strip-club-outbreak-wisconsin-cruisin-chubbys-covid-19-a9578046.html

Vic Mackey online buying a 1 way ticket as we speak 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Also when you show up to one of those 57 hospitals and need ICU care they often transfer you.  Your odds of dying go up exponentially when you’re in an ambulance or chopper vs an ICU.  

This shouldn’t be happening in the USA.  Also doctors right now often maintain some capacity by only allowing the worst of the worst to end up in the ICU.  If I have to explain why that’s dangerous too, you might be too stupid to discuss any of this with.  

Can we just move people like this? 

image.png.0030fe055ec48a54c34124cdeb5c2bc8.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Gimme Bean Snappers over Cruisin' Chubbys for rural Wisc strip joint.

Why are you spamming this thread with useless information? Do you believe that cherry-picking data somehow disproves the fact that there are places and hospitals in the state that are at 100% capacity?
What are you trying to accomplish, besides being obnoxious?
Look at who you're quoting. We all know the answer.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away