Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Lol at people still acting like it’s just fear mongering, and not really anything to worry about.  I know we have some ‘fuck no to your masks’ winners here, but they won’t admit it.  
I think we have more than some of those assholes. But as you said, they won't come out and own it.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Palm Beach County, Florida has about 407 ICU beds. Based on best available data, we estimate that 60% (244) are currently occupied by non-COVID patients. Of the 163 ICU beds remaining, we estimate 126 are needed by COVID cases, or 77% of available beds. This suggests hospitals cannot absorb a wave of new COVID infections without substantial surge capacity. Aggressive action urgently needed.

image.png.172a2653deaf095c42e7f9089c24b7f2.png

https://covidactnow.org/us/fl/county/palm_beach_county?s=61890

image.png.8d5eb96104887f59ca9dba28a18e0477.png

https://covidactnow.org/us/fl/county/polk_county?s=61890

image.png.0c92a88ff7fa46593f2802604eaba22d.png

https://covidactnow.org/us/fl/county/leon_county?s=61890

image.png.109447fe5bffd268da01c741e61968e4.png

https://covidactnow.org/us/fl/county/bay_county?s=61890

Does Palm Beach County really only have 407 ICU beds?  They have 1.4 million people and are demographically old.  That seems super low even without covid going on.

Guest Lobo

Most of the ICU beds are in Del Boca Vista, and due to a curious codicil in their condo association charter, they don’t have to report their bed counts to the government. 

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol at people still acting like it’s just fear mongering, and not really anything to worry about.  I know we have some ‘fuck no to your masks’ winners here, but they won’t admit it.  

The anti-masker contingent absolutely baffles me.  Orange County's health director had to resign last month after trying to mandate masks and getting death threats.  Boggling.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I think we have more than some of those assholes. But as you said, they won't come out and own it.

So far Vic's the only one to openly brag about never wearing a mask for this hoax, but they're out there.

My dad's wife might be their vocal leader. But they live in Arizona, so she fits right in.

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So far Vic's the only one to openly brag about never wearing a mask for this hoax, but they're out there.

My dad's wife might be their vocal leader. But they live in Arizona, so she fits right in.

Vic’s doing God’s work trying to wipe out the grenades for the rest of us.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

They don't have to come out and own it.  Their posts are pretty obvious where they stand on the masks and "its a hoax/not serious" 

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Does a Vic Mackey special shit in the woods?

No, no...it's, "If Vic Mackey's date falls over in the woods, does it make a sound?"  

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

They don't have to come out and own it.  Their posts are pretty obvious where they stand on the masks and "its a hoax/not serious" 

Yeah, there are the obvious ones, but I'm talking about the Johnny Sacks who claim to wear masks but all of their posts downplay the serious nature of what we're dealing with.  

22 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, there are the obvious ones, but I'm talking about the Johnny Sacks who claim to wear masks but all of their posts downplay the serious nature of what we're dealing with.  

He's pretty much the most obvious one.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lobo said:

No, no...it's, "If Vic Mackey's date falls over in the woods, does it make a sound?"  

It’s more of a breeching than falling

54 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

New York State is testing approximately 40-75k per day.  Average positive rate is still below 2%.  At City Med all the tests are free, and some people have had multiple tests.  I am not sure turnaround, but I am hearing 2-3 days on average.

Sounds like Texas needs to off load some of the lab work to NY. I mean for real, WTF are we doing allowing testing results to take 7-10+ days to come in? A nurse friend of mine had to FedEx hers to CA to get timely results. Why aren't our states coordinating to spread the load? We've long known there'd be outbreaks in portions of the country and the rest of the country would need to help. What federal entity should be managing the distribution of test analysis? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

New York State is testing approximately 40-75k per day.  Average positive rate is still below 2%.  At City Med all the tests are free, and some people have had multiple tests.  I am not sure turnaround, but I am hearing 2-3 days on average.

All city md locations? Damn it queens, stop being shitty!  I took the test for the second time at the same location (got a little careless on fathers day) and they wanted to charge this time but I haven’t gotten the bill yet.

Turn around time is not 2-3 days anymore at my location. It WAS when I first took the test before Memorial Day but was told at least a week now. Last time I took it on Sunday and got the results Tuesday mornIng; took it this past Monday and still no word today. 

• Fuck You 1

On 6/12/2020 at 9:46 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

we've been over this several times, but the cases spike, then the hospitalizations spike, then the deaths spike. here's the hospitalizations:

spacer.png

may 1: re-opening

14 days later, hospitalization rates start to climb.

On 6/12/2020 at 5:05 PM, Johnny Sack said:

So.......two weeks?

three weeks.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 8:13 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Looks legit to me. It’s cheaper than the 5 million dollar warehouse MN bought to store dead bodies since the models said there’d be 700 deaths today.

There were 3

yeah but now you have a place to store your ice fishing haul. 

• Like 1

Come the fuck on man.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/07/08/health/coronavirus-brain-damage-study-intl-hnk-scli-scn/index.html

(CNN)The novel coronavirus pandemic could lead to a wave of brain damage in infected patients, warned British researchers in a new study released Wednesday.

Experts at the University College London (UCL) were the latest to describe that Covid-19 could cause neurological complications including stroke, nerve damage, and potentially fatal brain inflammation -- even if the patients didn't show severe respiratory symptoms associated with the disease.

"We should be vigilant and look out for these complications in people who have had Covid-19," said joint senior author Dr. Michael Zandi in a UCL press release, warning that it remains to be seen "whether we will see an epidemic on a large scale of brain damage linked to the pandemic."

Follow-up studies will be necessary to understand the potential long-term neurological consequences of the pandemic, they said.

The study, published in the journal Brain, examined 43 patients treated at University College London Hospitals for either confirmed or suspected coronavirus, from April to May. They varied in age from 16 to 85, and showed a range of mild to severe symptoms.

Among these patients, researchers found 10 cases of "temporary brain dysfunction" and delirium; 12 cases of brain inflammation; eight cases of strokes; and eight cases of nerve damage.

Most of the patients who showed brain inflammation were diagnosed with a specific, rare and sometimes deadly condition known as Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM). Before the pandemic, the research team in London would see about one ADEM patient per month. During the study period, the number rose to at least one a week.

One woman hallucinated lions and monkeys in her house. Others reported numbness in their limbs or face, double vision, and disorientation. One severe patient was barely conscious, responding only when in pain

12 hours ago, B00M said:

Sounds like Texas needs to off load some of the lab work to NY. I mean for real, WTF are we doing allowing testing results to take 7-10+ days to come in? A nurse friend of mine had to FedEx hers to CA to get timely results. Why aren't our states coordinating to spread the load? We've long known there'd be outbreaks in portions of the country and the rest of the country would need to help. What federal entity should be managing the distribution of test analysis? 

If your tests aren't being processed in a timely manner, your totals stay low in the short-term.

spacer.png

So how many people were saying the heat would slow it down to nothing?
Food for thought... Maybe the heat Has slowed it down, which means once temperatures cool off then it really gets going

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, B00M said:

Come the fuck on man.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/07/08/health/coronavirus-brain-damage-study-intl-hnk-scli-scn/index.html

(CNN)The novel coronavirus pandemic could lead to a wave of brain damage in infected patients, warned British researchers in a new study released Wednesday.

Experts at the University College London (UCL) were the latest to describe that Covid-19 could cause neurological complications including stroke, nerve damage, and potentially fatal brain inflammation -- even if the patients didn't show severe respiratory symptoms associated with the disease.

"We should be vigilant and look out for these complications in people who have had Covid-19," said joint senior author Dr. Michael Zandi in a UCL press release, warning that it remains to be seen "whether we will see an epidemic on a large scale of brain damage linked to the pandemic."

Follow-up studies will be necessary to understand the potential long-term neurological consequences of the pandemic, they said.

The study, published in the journal Brain, examined 43 patients treated at University College London Hospitals for either confirmed or suspected coronavirus, from April to May. They varied in age from 16 to 85, and showed a range of mild to severe symptoms.

Among these patients, researchers found 10 cases of "temporary brain dysfunction" and delirium; 12 cases of brain inflammation; eight cases of strokes; and eight cases of nerve damage.

Most of the patients who showed brain inflammation were diagnosed with a specific, rare and sometimes deadly condition known as Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM). Before the pandemic, the research team in London would see about one ADEM patient per month. During the study period, the number rose to at least one a week.

One woman hallucinated lions and monkeys in her house. Others reported numbness in their limbs or face, double vision, and disorientation. One severe patient was barely conscious, responding only when in pain

This is my concern too. [mention=2289]ChiTownDoc[/mention] has said he's seen tons of anecdotal evidence that it's weakened in the heat. 

Gonna be 117 in Phx this weekend. Still raging here. Not sure I believe the heat weakening.

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

This is my concern too. @ChiTownDoc has said he's seen tons of anecdotal evidence that it's weakened in the heat. 

The heat means outside mostly and on hotter surfaces it doesn't last - the problem is when it gets hot as balls in the south in the summer what happens?  Everyone goes inside and it definitely thrives inside.  

Edit:  Huffpost but it's good info: 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/what-is-risk-of-catching-covid-19-inside-vs-outside_l_5ecd3aeec5b6de82df1e2ef8

Also mentions sun helping as a theory but not conclusive. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

The heat means outside mostly and on hotter surfaces it doesn't last - the problem is when it gets hot as balls in the south in the summer what happens?  Everyone goes inside and it definitely thrives inside.  

Edit:  Huffpost but it's good info: 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/what-is-risk-of-catching-covid-19-inside-vs-outside_l_5ecd3aeec5b6de82df1e2ef8

Also mentions sun helping as a theory but not conclusive. 

Weren't you saying that the actual impact of the virus has weakened in nursing homes, as you've seen? Don't remember if you said you expect that to flip back in fall/winter or not.

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Weren't you saying that the actual impact of the virus has weakened in nursing homes, as you've seen? Don't remember if you said you expect that to flip back in fall/winter or not.

Oh - I fully believe the strain we are seeing is less deadly too, we just are not seeing the same death rates.  Did it mutate to a weaker strain?  Is it just weaker in the summer months?  Now overall treatment has gotten better - for sure.  But the type of treatments available in nursing homes really haven't.  If you look at my posts early on, I was always a bit more worried about the second wave in fall.  I'll fully admit I thought places in the south were opening a little early especially for indoor activities...but I sure af did not see this massive blow up. I really didn't.  But I did always say its better to err on the side of caution and stay clamped down too long vs not long enough.  There's a shitload that is not known and I have been stating my educated guesses.  I sure hope nobody runs with my bullshit as the gospel.  I'm giving info based on what I see and my education (ha)/experience.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Oh - I fully believe the strain we are seeing is less deadly too, we just are not seeing the same death rates.  Did it mutate to a weaker strain?  Is it just weaker in the summer months?  Now overall treatment has gotten better - for sure.  But the type of treatments available in nursing homes really haven't.  If you look at my posts early on, I was always a bit more worried about the second wave in fall.  I'll fully admit I thought places in the south were opening a little early especially for indoor activities...but I sure af did not see this massive blow up. I really didn't.  But I did always say its better to err on the side of caution and stay clamped down too long vs not long enough.  There's a shitload that is not known and I have been stating my educated guesses.  I sure hope nobody runs with my bullshit as the gospel.  I'm giving info based on what I see and my education (ha)/experience.  

So should I call off this startup I'm building to throw Covid parties for children whose parents want them exposed to the ChiTownDoc weaker summer strain before it spins back up in the winter? I'm going to need you to refund me for the flyers I printed, if so. And send me a bottle of Blanton's for emotional compensation - this was my passion.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

So should I call off this startup I'm building to throw Covid parties for children whose parents want them exposed to the ChiTownDoc weaker summer strain before it spins back up in the winter? I'm going to need you to refund me for the flyers I printed, if so. And send me a bottle of Blanton's for emotional compensation - this was my passion.

LOL, hence my million disclaimers.  If you told me I HAD to get it in early spring vs now, I'd have picked now.  Of course me and my type O blood are bullet proof and I skated through this shit with ease...

• Like 2

since the sooner is throwing out theories about weakening virusi (with disclaimers of course), here my occams razor theory

this virus is the same. 

1.the NorthEast is a place where everyone lives on top of each other, rides mass transit and old fat unhealthy folks are everywhere.

2. the govts in the NE fucked everyone by pushing covid positive patients into nursing homes but they also saw it first in droves and weren't able to learn like other areas can now

3. NE should have been quarantined asap - but no can't do that because muh states rights

4. we should have shut down all incoming travel immediately - mistake by the Feds

5. other areas should not have locked down(SIP) initially but because we were worried about medical resources(people and materials) we went sledgehammer everywhere - OK bad call looking back but I can see why

6. other areas open up and a lot of people say fuck it while watching protests but we know to protect the olds much better

7. we have also learned more from a medical practice and older(non bullet proof 20+ year olds)people do social distance and use masks

8. we were going to see a lower death rate than the NE - how much remains to be seen but its at least half IMO - hospitals were always going to get stressed when we opened - there is really no way around it unless you contact trace like crazy. narrator: We can't

9. my sooner like disclaimer - it could get really bad or it could get really good in the next 2 weeks

10. Italy!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

1.the NorthEast is a place where everyone lives on top of each other, rides mass transit and old fat unhealthy folks are everywhere.

5. other areas should not have locked down(SIP) initially but because we were worried about medical resources(people and materials) we went sledgehammer everywhere - OK bad call looking back but I can see why

Dude, the south has all the fat fucks.  People in the NE that live in cities with mass transit actually walk on a daily basis, compared to the walmart electric cart riders we have down here.

And really? Because it seems pretty obvious that the curve leveled off for a few months in response to the SIP, even if it didn't start to go down.  And in those months we not only stockpiled medical supplies, we learned how better to treat the virus, and knocked down serious outbreaks in parts of the country rather than trying to have the whole country go through the outbreak at the same time.  It's not the northeast's fault we didn't learn to mask up and keep social distancing after the SIP was lifted.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, drt said:

Dude, the south has all the fat fucks.  People in the NE that live in cities with mass transit actually walk on a daily basis, compared to the walmart electric cart riders we have down here.

And really? Because it seems pretty obvious that the curve leveled off for a few months in response to the SIP, even if it didn't start to go down.  And in those months we not only stockpiled medical supplies, we learned how better to treat the virus, and knocked down serious outbreaks in parts of the country rather than trying to have the whole country go through the outbreak at the same time.  It's not the northeast's fault we didn't learn to mask up and keep social distancing after the SIP was lifted.

the NE burned thru all their fat old fucks.  they have plenty.  I've been there a lot.

11 minutes ago, drt said:

False. I've seen plenty of fat fucks up north. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, drt said:

Technically, the entire country has plenty.  But the south has more, percentage wise.

spacer.png

I'm talking mainly about Texas.  in your chart the low of Texas range = the high of NE range.  so it could easily be the same given margin of error.  nice scientific data though. agree the entire country has plenty which was my point. and the NE version live on top of each other and ride mass transit everywhere.

the NE fucked up and burned hot early.  our mask wearing and social distancing was fine.  no one is going to avoid getting hit.  we are on a rolling boil.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away