Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

7 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

That article is from May 21st and I am virtually certain it has been discussed. Have any other timely Washington Examiner content?

Edited by VRHorn
Grammar
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Bruh.

"A Bay Area doctor’s widely reported claim that his hospital has seen a year's worth of suicide attempts since the start of California's coronavirus stay-home order is not true and was “more of a figure of speech,” a representative for the facility said.

In reality, John Muir Health’s Walnut Creek Medical Center has not seen many more attempted or completed suicides since the order took effect in March, the Record Searchlight has learned."

https://www.redding.com/story/news/2020/05/29/no-bay-area-hospital-has-not-seen-a-years-worth-suicides-coronavirus/5279780002/

Also this article is almost two months old.

Tighten it up.

• Like 5

So California has already had 8,000 deaths from Coronavirus in the last 4+ months?  But magically, though they've never had more than 8,000 suicides in any year ever...they've now surpassed that amount in just a matter of weeks?  

The U.S. loses 47,000 people per year due to suicide.  So that's roughly, not accounting for seasonal issues, 8,000/month nationwide.  So expand out CA deaths due to Covid-19 and you get roughly 32,000.  I doubt that California will continue to trend for 2/3rds of the nation's suicides in one calendar year.  

What is the point of some of y'all's bullshit?  Covid-19 bad.  Suicide bad.  Your fuckstick idolatry bad.  

Lol. Guess not.  Who looks at dates when reading articles anyways. I guess you assholes :)

Saw a different article last month that showed suicide rates increase 1.6% for every 1% of increase in unemployment. (From study of 2007-2010) Figured with a 9% increase in unemployment since February that we would see suicide numbers increase but having a hard time finding reporting or numbers on that lately. Maybe it’s because the increase is negligent, or maybe it’s just buried in under everything else.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Lol. Guess not.  Who looks at dates when reading articles anyways. I guess you assholes :)

Saw a different article last month that showed suicide rates increase 1.6% for every 1% of increase in unemployment. (From study of 2007-2010) Figured with a 9% increase in unemployment since February that we would see suicide numbers increase but having a hard time finding reporting or numbers on that lately. Maybe it’s because the increase is negligent, or maybe it’s just buried in under everything else.

Negligent is how people are acting currently, negligible is the amount of change in the amount of something 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Try not to let confirmation bias steer your posting.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I'm not good at math (jk graduated in ECE) but that daily deaths graph seems very scary. It also directly counters all of the stupid bleating that we got it under control because deaths are down as if deaths weren't a lagging indicator of cases which itself is a lagging indicator of behavior. Fuck stupid people.

I'm not good at math (jk graduated in ECE) but that daily deaths graph seems very scary. It also directly counters all of the stupid bleating that we got it under control because deaths are down as if deaths weren't a lagging indicator of cases which itself is a lagging indicator of behavior. Fuck stupid people.

Why’s it scary? 11 straight weeks of dropping death cases(probably 2 million confirmed cases(avg 25k/day). The cases obviously aren’t under control but we’re not even close to what we saw in April with our 3 most populous states spiking at the same time.

Hopefully it stays like that

Some of the holdouts here remind me of the Charlie Strong era. We could see the train wreck unfolding before us over and over but very few could process it and come to grips with the fact we were complete garbage. Then we’d land a recruit or put together a scoring drive or win a game and we grasped at that data point and meekly suggest that maybe we were back. Anything to ignore what was so plainly obvious: we sucked shit through a straw.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I just can not believe there are still people that can’t see what is happening. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

With Texas and Florida cracking the 10,000 number today, there's probably some aggy screaming "SECSECSEC SUCK IT BAMA!"

I just can not believe there are still people that can’t see what is happening. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

What the fuck is wrong with you? I asked why the death graph looked terrifying when as a country it was a sliver of what it was almost 90 days ago.

I said the cases didn’t exactly drop during weekly death decline and apparently I don’t see what’s happening. We’re testing close to 50% more than we did from early May-mid June so the positives were definitely out there untested. So tell us, what’s happening ?

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Some of the holdouts here remind me of the Charlie Strong era. We could see the train wreck unfolding before us over and over but very few could process it and come to grips with the fact we were complete garbage. Then we’d land a recruit or put together a scoring drive or win a game and we grasped at that data point and meekly suggest that maybe we were back. Anything to ignore what was so plainly obvious: we sucked shit through a straw.

you might want to hide under your desk until this is over.  should be a couple of weeks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So tell us, what’s happening ?

More and more people are getting sick and going to the hospital. Deaths are now trending back up. It’s a lagging indicator that is now on an upward trajectory. If, as is happening in many communities, hospitals hit capacity, the overall standard of care will drop and even more people will die.

Our head coach is a fucking moron, our coordinators aren’t even talking to him/each other, and most of our players don’t give a flying fuck. But hey, We’re Texas.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Why’s it scary? 11 straight weeks of dropping death cases(probably 2 million confirmed cases(avg 25k/day). The cases obviously aren’t under control but we’re not even close to what we saw in April with our 3 most populous states spiking at the same time.

Hopefully it stays like that

Nationwide drops in deaths is largely explained by the drops in deaths in NYC/NJ/elsewhere in NE overwhelming the rise of deaths in Texas/Florida/Arizona. Similar things were true two weeks ago when the drops in NYC/NJ/rest of NE became overwhelmed by the rise in cases/hospitalizations in TX/FL/AZ. At the time people talked about how the low deaths relative to cases were just a sign of how well prepared Texas and Florida were as if that was the reason and not just that deaths lag cases. The graph I was talking about was the Texas one which is straight up exponentially increasing. It is further worrying since as we know deaths lag hospitalizations/cases which lag behavioral changes. Abbott's orders hopefully did some good, but my fear is it's too little too late to prevent thousands of needless deaths. With the increase in daily new cases showing no sign of abatement, the number of hospitalizations following an exponential curve for about a month now, and deaths following an exponential curve for about to weeks suggests to me the number of deaths per day will continue to increase in number significantly between now and the end of July/start of August where best case we see a peak. Worst case it continues into August and we see death tolls increase dramatically.

4 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What the fuck is wrong with you? I asked why the death graph looked terrifying when as a country it was a sliver of what it was almost 90 days ago.

I said the cases didn’t exactly drop during weekly death decline and apparently I don’t see what’s happening. We’re testing close to 50% more than we did from early May-mid June so the positives were definitely out there untested. So tell us, what’s happening ?

You obviously were a liberal arts major. The positive test percentage rate is going up.

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

you might want to hide under your desk until this is over.  should be a couple of weeks.

I sort of actually agree with this. We sure better see the end of this spike in a few weeks. The problem is what happens after that. Hint- it repeats itself. We are stuck here in an up and down cycle as we open and shutdown. The NE states are next on deck.

14 hours ago, Lobo said:

So California has already had 8,000 deaths from Coronavirus in the last 4+ months?  But magically, though they've never had more than 8,000 suicides in any year ever...they've now surpassed that amount in just a matter of weeks?  

The U.S. loses 47,000 people per year due to suicide.  So that's roughly, not accounting for seasonal issues, 8,000/month nationwide.  So expand out CA deaths due to Covid-19 and you get roughly 32,000.  I doubt that California will continue to trend for 2/3rds of the nation's suicides in one calendar year.  

What is the point of some of y'all's bullshit?  Covid-19 bad.  Suicide bad.  Your fuckstick idolatry bad.  

I would just like to point out that your math skills suck.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 1

Whoops 24,000.  Day drinking at the neighbor's pool and math do not add up well for me.  

My punishment is my daughter wants to go on a bike ride with my dehydrated ass this morning before I have to help her with her math homework.

Edited by Lobo

6 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

No clue who this twitter guy is, but I do know anyone who believed this to be true for a second is a complete moron.

California over the past five years has never had more suicides than 4500 with the range being between roughly 4000 on the low end and 4500 on the high end. If you believe that California somehow had roughly double the normal suicides in the two months between when lockdowns began (mid March) and when the article was written (mid May) as happen in a whole year, you're a special breed of moron.

That is true of the writer of this article.

That is true of the person who shared the article on Twitter (if you listen to someone this non-credible (based mostly on sharing this article unironically) I also have to question your intelligence for that alone).

And that is true for you because you unironically shared the article here as though this was some brilliant own of epidemiologists and proof that morons on Facebook that believe in chemtrails and try to sell us on MLM shit (that we haven't unfriended for some reason) are the true geniuses. 

Nah, give me the epidemiologists over Randy from Vector and Karen from Mary Kay who both failed regular Biology and Chemistry and shitty articles from the Washington Examiner.

Tl;dr: You're a moron, this twitter dude is a moron, the writer is a moron, anyone else who believed it is a moron, and people really need to pay attention in Bio/Chem more or at the very least trust the people that did.

You're right, but also this article was debunked when it was first published. In May.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Whoops 24,000.  Day drinking at the neighbor's pool and math do not add up well for me.  

My punishment is my daughter wants to go on a bike ride with my dehydrated ass this morning before I have to help her with her math homework.

neighbors pool?  are you crazy? the virus is everywhere.  get inside man!

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

LOLz.  You're building her confidence!

"Dad passed out, but I aced my homework without his help."

16 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

neighbors pool?  are you crazy? the virus is everywhere.  get inside man!

They're outta town for the summer.  They got wise and went to Rhode Island.  Because it's the second most densely populated state, it has the second most cases of covids.  Or so my math has explained it to me.  ;)

true story and no pics, they said we could use it whenever, just check the skimmers and vacuum and they've got a service for the chemicals and backpump.  But that we should be advised that weekdays 12-2pm, their 24 year old's daughter's good friend comes over to swim and sunbathe and she doesn't like tanlines.  They said this to my wife who relayed it to me, and I just sat there with a straight face like, "Yep, I'll check the skimmers and reset the vacuum periodically.  And if Chris Hanson asks me to have a seat over there..."  

Anyway, back to covid.  Went by Austin Convention Center yesterday and SXSW has taken a weird turn.  

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

So if all the Californians commit suicide there won't be any of them left to move here???

4-D chess, man..  

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

They're outta town for the summer.  They got wise and went to Rhode Island.  Because it's the second most densely populated state, it has the second most cases of covids.  Or so my math has explained it to me.  ;)

true story and no pics, they said we could use it whenever, just check the skimmers and vacuum and they've got a service for the chemicals and backpump.  But that we should be advised that weekdays 12-2pm, their 24 year old's daughter's good friend comes over to swim and sunbathe and she doesn't like tanlines.  They said this to my wife who relayed it to me, and I just sat there with a straight face like, "Yep, I'll check the skimmers and reset the vacuum periodically.  And if Chris Hanson asks me to have a seat over there..."  

Anyway, back to covid.  Went by Austin Convention Center yesterday and SXSW has taken a weird turn.  

nice.  but we have fucking rules around here...

23 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

This @dcar00 fellow is the last “it’s just the flu” holdout. He’s the cdt23 of Covid-19.

actually I said early on it was worse than the flu but you keep doing "the end of the world" you.  you are the greenspoint of Covid 19

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

actually I said early on it was worse than the flu but you keep doing "the end of the world" you.  you are the greenspoint of Covid 19

If by “end of the world“ you mean “tens of thousands of people are dying needlessly due to incompetence, ignorance, and selfishness”, then yeah, you got me.

and point of order: greenspoint is the greenspoint of covid.

• Like 5

Nationwide drops in deaths is largely explained by the drops in deaths in NYC/NJ/elsewhere in NE overwhelming the rise of deaths in Texas/Florida/Arizona. Similar things were true two weeks ago when the drops in NYC/NJ/rest of NE became overwhelmed by the rise in cases/hospitalizations in TX/FL/AZ. At the time people talked about how the low deaths relative to cases were just a sign of how well prepared Texas and Florida were as if that was the reason and not just that deaths lag cases. The graph I was talking about was the Texas one which is straight up exponentially increasing. It is further worrying since as we know deaths lag hospitalizations/cases which lag behavioral changes. Abbott's orders hopefully did some good, but my fear is it's too little too late to prevent thousands of needless deaths. With the increase in daily new cases showing no sign of abatement, the number of hospitalizations following an exponential curve for about a month now, and deaths following an exponential curve for about to weeks suggests to me the number of deaths per day will continue to increase in number significantly between now and the end of July/start of August where best case we see a peak. Worst case it continues into August and we see death tolls increase dramatically.

I agree going into August would suck. I’m not yet certain we’re going to see a repeat of April’s numbers with this surge June 16 TX/FL/CA started to see a uptick in cases(20k a day between the 3) and now average what, 300 deaths between the 3 while NY pumped out 1000 by themselves. Hell I wouldn’t be surprised if July 4th threw a wrench in everything.

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I agree going into August would suck. I’m not yet certain we’re going to see a repeat of April’s numbers with this surge June 16 TX/FL/CA started to see a uptick in cases(20k a day between the 3) and now average what, 300 deaths between the 3 while NY pumped out 1000 by themselves. Hell I wouldn’t be surprised if July 4th threw a wrench in everything.

the interesting thing is seeing the case to death ratio of NY/NJ over the last 3 to 4 weeks.

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If by “end of the world“ you mean “tens of thousands of people are dying needlessly due to incompetence, ignorance, and selfishness”, then yeah, you got me.

and point of order: greenspoint is the greenspoint of covid.

you don't have any idea of how many died needlessly due to incompetence, ignorance, protests, and selfishness but keep yelling at clouds.  Covid19 why have you forsaken me!!

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

you don't have any idea of how many died needlessly due to incompetence, ignorance, protests, and selfishness but keep yelling at clouds.  Covid19 why have you forsaken me!!

Text book example of the unwillingness to process what is unfolding. Keep fucking that chicken.

“Maybe they just don’t have time to practice special teams because there is so much work to be done on the other 2 sides of the ball?”

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Text book example of the unwillingness to process what is unfolding. Keep fucking that chicken.

“Maybe they just don’t have time to practice special teams because there is so much work to be done on the other 2 sides of the ball?”

"aaaaaargh, end of the world. no one understands but me! everyone is a rube!! even California where the smartest and best people in the world are!"

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away