Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

"aaaaaargh, end of the world. no one understands but me! everyone is a rube!! even California where the smartest and best people in the world are!"

Oh there’s plenty of us that understand what is happening. But this thread is a constant reminder that there is also plenty that can’t come to grips with our abject failures as a country/society.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Oh there’s plenty of us that understand what is happening. But this thread is a constant reminder that there is also plenty that can’t come to grips with our abject failures as a country/society.

Ironic post is ironic...

So what if:

1 - Fall and Winter are worse in severity and virulence like many viruses

2 - Immunity from previous infections (or from vaccines) is very short-lived per the results of recent antibody tests on early infected; 

3-the virus is airborne (not droplet) per the angry letter to the WHO signed by 200+ doctors and epidemiologists; and

4 - most kids go back to in-classroom schooling in 4-6 weeks like Trump and DeVos want

This scenario takes hold of me late at night when I need sleep so someone explain to meet why I don’t need to be looking into a rifle, BoB, seed packets, water purification options and defensible shelter on a mountain somewhere 

3 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So what if:

2 - Immunity from previous infections (or from vaccines) is very short-lived per the results of recent antibody tests on early infected; 

3-the virus is airborne (not droplet) per the angry letter to the WHO signed by 200+ doctors and epidemiologists; and

4 - most kids go back to in-classroom schooling in 4-6 weeks like Trump and DeVos want

This scenario takes hold of me late at night when I need sleep so someone explain to meet why I don’t need to be looking into a rifle, BoB, seed packets, water purification options and defensible shelter on a mountain somewhere 

methinks your potential actions shouldn't be dependent on the Wuhan Flu. get to work!

15 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So what if:

We extend the PPP and print more money.

Problem solved.

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

he needs a rifle to defend against 2nd wave Covid zombies.

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

methinks your potential actions shouldn't be dependent on the Wuhan Flu. get to work!

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Do you need a rifle to shoot the virus? Not sure that checks out, mate. 

Avoiding the fucking issue and (hopefully) pretending ignorance and stupidity.  Exactly what I expected from the “Kung Flu hoax” crowd. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

At this rate, in a month the virus will be dying off due to running out of people to infect.

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

It's going to be hysterical when the virus ramps down to see how the narrative can get distorted yet again to justify all the horseshit

• Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

It's going to be hysterical when the virus ramps down to see how the narrative can get distorted yet again to justify all the horseshit

I have to back up here...so should this thing decimate compromised segments of our society to the tune of hundreds of thousands of deaths and then taper down, your plan is to circle back with “See, we’re all good. Told you so!”

is that the angle you are working here?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Our head coach is a fucking moron, our coordinators aren’t even talking to him/each other, and most of our players don’t give a flying fuck. But hey, We’re Texas.

Our coordinators are throwing punches at each other on the sideline while we lead the Jets 14-0 heading into halftime.

• Like 1

Has this forum reached some sort of peculiar agreement that Covid either kills you or doesn't affect you? Permanent damage to the respiratory system seems proven in many cases with scientists now discovering damage to other organs and systems even in the asymptomatic. 

Looking only at what is now apparently a temporary decline in death rate seems to be the equivalent of sunshine pumping during one of our losses to Iowa State.

• Like 5

Just now, RomaVicta said:

Has this forum reached some sort of peculiar agreement that Covid either kills you or doesn't affect you? Permanent damage to the respiratory system seems proven in many cases with scientists now discovering damage to other organs and systems even in the asymptomatic. 

Looking only at what is now apparently a temporary decline in death rate seems to be the equivalent of sunshine pumping during one of our losses to Iowa State.

Doesn’t count, not dead?

It will be a while before we know the true impact to those infected, but with the systems the virus attacks it’s not going to look good. It’s a big part of the reason the open it up crowd is off the mark, but they can only seem to focus on death rates. You’re not dead, that’s a win in their books. Sucks for you if your lung capacity is 25% or your own dialysis, should have been in better shape.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I agree going into August would suck. I’m not yet certain we’re going to see a repeat of April’s numbers with this surge June 16 TX/FL/CA started to see a uptick in cases(20k a day between the 3) and now average what, 300 deaths between the 3 while NY pumped out 1000 by themselves. Hell I wouldn’t be surprised if July 4th threw a wrench in everything.

Mate do you understand how exponential work? Fucking hell man. Everyone who ever said case/death numbers are only  x therefore it won't get to y level while staring at an exponential should be forced to retake algebra 2.

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Clearly due to density. Err, I mean public transportation. Or uh....

Best part of it is all the people coming in daily and taking it back to all of you guys. I assume their numbers are based on tests not just resident tests. The beaches are full of tourist again and there are a lot of people moving in and out. Our community has stayed fairly locked down and is barely in double digit on cases. The whole state isn’t stupid, just most of it.

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

Hysterical? Hundreds of thousands dead in the US alone is hysterical to you? Seriously, rethink life. 

• Like 4

It's lack of coherent leadership on all sides coupled with a culture that has been ingrained not to live in fear (for better or worse) and imbued with a sense of individuality over conformity.  The "damn the torpedos I ain't skeered let's go" attitude pervasive in this country has serves us well at times, in this position it's a dangerous dangerous mix.

The inability of leadership at all levels to work together, understand that is what they have in terms of raw material and craft the right approach and messaging to deal with it is what is fucking sick and perverse.....every last person in office at every level in this country should be thrown out for that failure (talk about sending a message) but that's just the biggest pipe dream I've ever dreamt in my life.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

It's lack of coherent leadership on all sides coupled with a culture that has been ingrained not to live in fear (for better or worse) and imbued with a sense of individuality over conformity.  The "damn the torpedos I ain't skeered let's go" attitude pervasive in this country has serves us well at times, in this position it's a dangerous dangerous mix.

The inability of leadership at all levels to work together, understand that is what they have in terms of raw material and craft the right approach and messaging to deal with it is what is fucking sick and perverse.....every last person in office at every level in this country should be thrown out for that failure (talk about sending a message) but that's just the biggest pipe dream I've ever dreamt in my life.

good point.  term limits, anyone?

• Like 1

Culture that has been ingrained NOT to live in fear?

What fucking culture are you talking about? I presume it’s not the culture that is terrified of Mexican murderers and rapists, and MS-13, and pedophile pizza joints, and masks being an evil plot by the deep state to enslave us, and black “thugs” running rampant through our streets, and Muslims taking over and forcing us to live under sharia law, and believing that we all need an AR and a store of 10,000 rounds to protect us from, well, everything....are you kidding me? We’re the most fearful culture on the planet. Seriously. The volume of pants-pissing reactionary fear in this country could fill the fucking Great Lakes daily.

No, we’re just stupid and selfish. That’s as deep as it goes.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Culture that has been ingrained NOT to live in fear?

What fucking culture are you talking about? I presume it’s not the culture that is terrified of Mexican murderers and rapists, and MS-13, and pedophile pizza joints, and masks being an evil plot by the deep state to enslave us, and black “thugs” running rampant through our streets, and Muslims taking over and forcing us to live under sharia law, and believing that we all need an AR and a store of 10,000 rounds to protect us from, well, everything....are you kidding me? We’re the most fearful culture on the planet. Seriously. The volume of pants-pissing reactionary fear in this country could fill the fucking Great Lakes daily.

No, we’re just stupid and selfish. That’s as deep as it goes.

this is hilariously ironic coming from you.

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 2

this is hilariously ironic coming from you.

Americans I’m talking about: pissing their pants in fear of things like Muslims and Mexicans etc that kill a handful of people a year.

Your comparison group: those of us waving our hands about something that has killed 140,000 Americans and counting...in just a few months

Americans are really good at fear. We’re really shitty about being afraid of the things that actually represent a threat. Thanks for making my point even sharper.
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Americans I’m talking about: pissing their pants in fear of things like Muslims and Mexicans etc that kill a handful of people a year.

Your comparison group: those of us waving our hands about something that has killed 140,000 Americans and counting...in just a few months

Americans are really good at fear. We’re really shitty about being afraid of the things that actually represent a threat. Thanks for making my point even sharper.

so whats your call on amount of Americans "fearing" Muslims and Mexicans big boy?  lets get some numbers out here, you know scientific data and shit.

Mate do you understand how exponential work? Fucking hell man. Everyone who ever said case/death numbers are only  x therefore it won't get to y level while staring at an exponential should be forced to retake algebra 2.

What a hot take! Who the hell said cases and deaths were on the same fucking axis? Ones clearly going up

And ones gone down for 11 weeks. Even deaths today/yesterday/Friday are down from Tuesday/Wed/Thursday. Shouldn’t those keep going up?

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What a hot take! Who the hell said cases and deaths were on the same fucking axis? Ones clearly going up

And ones gone down for 11 weeks. Even deaths today/yesterday/Friday are down from Tuesday/Wed/Thursday. Shouldn’t those keep going up?

2 weeks

• Like 1

so whats your call on amount of Americans "fearing" Muslims and Mexicans big boy?  lets get some numbers out here, you know scientific data and shit.

I’ll take that the the CR. Seriously, the data source involves listening to the chants at certain political rallies.

But if you’d like to start...look at polling data on how members of certain political parties view Muslims etc.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/01/new-america-study-report-republicans-muslims-trump-midterms

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2016/9/12/12882796/trump-supporters-racist-deplorables

We can go down that rabbit hole for hours, but come the fuck on - fear-based politics isn’t exactly a secret. It’s a time-honored recipe.

It also yields absurdity, because it’s almost always off-target by a mile, causing people to amp up their fear of relative non-threats, while they simultaneously dismiss actual threats (see also, anti-vaxxers).
  • Like 1

the Fear of Covid-19 is somewhat powerful because it's somewhat irrational and somewhat based in mathematics.  

the Fear of losing your country to people who aren't really like you is incredibly powerful because it's entirely based on irrationality and not at all based on reason.  Some would say you could form an entire leadership platform around that fear.  That fear is far more powerful than any fear of a virus.  We are biologically programmed to fear what we can see, and to ignore what we don't see.  The real trick to real power is to convince people that they already saw what they feared most and didn't act accordingly.  

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I’ll take that the the CR. Seriously, the data source involves listening to the chants at certain political rallies.

But if you’d like to start...look at polling data on how members of certain political parties view Muslims etc.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/01/new-america-study-report-republicans-muslims-trump-midterms

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2016/9/12/12882796/trump-supporters-racist-deplorables

We can go down that rabbit hole for hours, but come the fuck on - fear-based politics isn’t exactly a secret. It’s a time-honored recipe.

It also yields absurdity, because it’s almost always off-target by a mile, causing people to amp up their fear of relative non-threats, while they simultaneously dismiss actual threats (see also, anti-vaxxers).

the guardian and vox and polls...nice

Edited by dcar00

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I saw some article where a Dutch ICU doctor was like, “yeah, pretty much 100% of people who end up in the ICU leave with some sort of lung scars”

38 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Look at Texas, AZ, FL death numbers. They're exponentially increasing. This is fucking simple reading comprehension you lack.

what do we think is the currently infected/has been infected percentage is for the US?  IMO it has to be 10-15%.

NY/NJ cases and death start of the significant rise and correspoding decrease  lasted about 6 weeks.  are we about 3.5 into the same?

Edited by dcar00

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

TCU is up 5 TDs and still throwing into the end zone and we just got a PBU. “See, see, we’re coming back baby!”

wake up, man. We’re getting trounced. 

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

what do we think is the currently infected/has been infected percentage is for the US?  IMO it has to be 10-15%.

NY/NJ cases and death start of the significant rise and correspoding decrease  lasted about 6 weeks.  are we about 3.5 into the same?

CDC estimates were at 5-8% near the end of June.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Just read on Twitter that they had a bunch of testing facilities, like 34 of them, claim 100% positive rates today.  That’s pretty much statistically impossible, so I’d take whatever data they’re putting out with a grain of salt.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away