Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, at that IFR, if the entire US catches it, that's 2,145,000 deaths.  Of course, even if it is just allowed to run wild forever, we won't get 100% infected.  We'll have some sort of herd immunity by 70% infected or so.  So, that would yield around 1,500,000 deaths.  And again, we're not even talking about the lifetime debilitating condition of millions of COVID survivors....we're just talking deaths.

Over the 5 months that it has been in real circulation here, we're averaging about 25,000 dead per month.  We can keep doing this for a couple of years to hit that number.  Even at our current pace of around 20,000 a month, we'll rack up some solid numbers.  Add another 120,000 dead by year end.  We can hit a cool quarter million by then.  I was thinking a couple of months ago that we'd be able to hold it under 240,000, but that's gonna be tough now.  

Nevermind that the people who didn't end up with it during the main burn through the population will always be susceptible.  And new generations will as well.  Bottom line, without a vaccine, were fucked.  We'll manage to kill well over a million of us here in the US, and then have a solid burn of it every year that rivals the flu.  And AGAIN, this isn't even counting the massive damage to lungs and internal organs of survivors.  We'll get a shitload of "early" deaths from those folks over the next 20 years as well.  Winning, winning, winning!

Exactly.

That IFR number *should* continue to go down a little. Maybe it settles around .5% and even then you are looking at just under 1 million deaths. That shouldn’t happen either because we will continue to see repeated shutdowns, increased mask usage at times, and generally people deciding to stop acting like asshats when their community spikes. We need that vaccine in a bad way. 

Doctors are playing politics with the virus.  Opp Research out front should have told ya.  The stupidity in the country right now is stupefying.

I am really tempted to fire an employee who came in for 3 d days after losing smell and taste, never told anyone, then got a headache and finally got tested and was positive.  Now I’ve quarantined four others and myself who were in any kind of contact with numbnuts but how do you stop a disease when otherwise intelligent professionals are such dumbasses?

He is 27 of course.  I think millennials are turning to this disease to kill off the olds.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If you care about the economy, schools, normal life; it should be now clear that we’re going to have to prioritize fighting the virus first.  

We are going to do far more damage to the economy by opening, closing, opening, and closing over again then if we just made the tough decisions early on.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If you care about the economy, schools, normal life; it should be now clear that we’re going to have to prioritize fighting the virus first.  

hint: we aren't going to do that.

anywho, why did @ChickenSandwich stop his daily wuhan flu updates? seems like those could go a long way in helping us continue to pretend this thing isn't a big deal so we can get back to business as usual...

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Doctors are playing politics with the virus.  Opp Research out front should have told ya.  The stupidity in the country right now is stupefying.

I am really tempted to fire an employee who came in for 3 d days after losing smell and taste, never told anyone, then got a headache and finally got tested and was positive.  Now I’ve quarantined four others and myself who were in any kind of contact with numbnuts but how do you stop a disease when otherwise intelligent professionals are such dumbasses?

He is 27 of course.  I think millennials are turning to this disease to kill off the olds.

Just FYI, you are just as liable for having them come in to the office in the first place. No one is trying to kill off the olds, we are trying not to lose our jobs.

Close your fucking office if you have a problem.

Edited by stone oak
  • Fuck You 4

Closing the economy does not make the virus go away. Masks do not make the virus go away.  It will never go away.  It needs to burn through so we can have herd immunity. It kills fewer than .5%.  Of course everybody knows this, but that's not what this is about.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

36 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

LOL at you giving a fuck about anyone but yourself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
9 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:
Because many of the locals don't want us to be there so they push out any potentially negative news that they can.  

Well, they shouldn't have started shit then.

A "don't start none, won't be none" 79 years in the making. I like it.

I'm pleased to see that most Americans are listening to factual, science-based data.  They are of course going to most trusted source on all things Logic & Reason...the great Dr. Chuck Woolery:

It ain't CR, because you know...he's a fucking game show host.  If Everyone is lying Chuck, how do we know you're telling us the truth?  If we can't trust these bedrock institutions like CDC and Medical Science, who can we trust?  I think, maybe you think, you're Tyler Durden.  And you're organizing some sort of bizzare-o Fight Club for octogenarian conspiracy theorists to be the theme of your next game show?  

Edited by Lobo

25 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Closing the economy does not make the virus go away. Masks do not make the virus go away.  It will never go away.  It needs to burn through so we can have herd immunity. It kills fewer than .5%.  Of course everybody knows this, but that's not what this is about.

Besides the fact that almost every other non-third-world country on Earth has proven everything you've said here wrong, you might have a point.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Besides the fact that almost every other non-third-world country on Earth has proven everything you've said here wrong, you might have a point.

the 'what if' internet game works better when there aren't lots of active what ifs that demonstrably prove you're completely full of shit.

let's try to be better, @Lat22.

30 minutes ago, stone oak said:

No. Orange man bad. Wheelchair man badder!!!!

This is sort of the crux of why this thread turns to Cloak Room shit so quickly, isn't it?

There's a group of posters that sees any post, article, or piece of information that hints that America might have handled Covid anything but perfectly as an attack on their political beliefs. They see these posts as an affront to their worldview, and instantly retreat to the "us vs. them" bunker they've created for themselves. And what follows is usually either nonsensical posts "masks don't work!" or political posts that ultimately get them negged or banned from the forum. It's a stone cold lock that as soon as one of these posters gets offended, we're in for 2-3 pages of absolute dogshit content.

Perhaps if you could learn to separate a rational discussion about the pandemic from your ever-present partisan, Cloak Room mindset, you could become a good poster that contributes to this thread. Meantime, if you want to yell about politics, we have a forum for that. Take it there, please.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

hint: we aren't going to do that.

anywho, why did @ChickenSandwich stop his daily wuhan flu updates? seems like those could go a long way in helping us continue to pretend this thing isn't a big deal so we can get back to business as usual...

Squealer,

Death numbers were boring. Just a flat line for TC death rate. Even after ever two weeks. 

The rest hasn’t changed. Half of all deaths still come from 5 northern states and half of all deaths still occurred in nursing homes. 

I’ll check again in two weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, stone oak said:

I give you an F for forcing people to come to work when they are sick. You are part of the problem.

How the hell did you get there from my post?  I’ve allowed all my employees to work from home, even the ones who are 50 percent less productive.  I’ve asked them if they come in to make sure they mask up and be careful.  Honestly you seem like an idiot and not worth engaging but you don’t know a damn thing about me.  I feel good about what I’ve done so far.  I am pissed that one knuckle head has fucked up a lot of effort by being a Dumas.

• Like 2

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

Squealer,

Death numbers were boring. Just a flat line for TC death rate. Even after ever two weeks. 

The rest hasn’t changed. Half of all deaths still come from 5 northern states and half of all deaths still occurred in nursing homes. 

I’ll check again in two weeks. 

lmao

13 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

We’re never going to know the true infection rate and also how many are infected now and have been infected already. The tests and antibody tests aren’t reliable at all. Guess I’ll just sit here and hope the death rates go down and we don’t have any over ran hospitals. Should be interesting to see what happens to the rest of the country once FL/TX and CA calm down

While I dispute these statements, none of them have anything to do with your fundamental misunderstanding of the CDC's IFR number. You've messed this up before, I don't understand why I can't just admit that your attempted correction of @Brisketexan was in error. The .65% IFR already accounted for population weighting. 

While I dispute these statements, none of them have anything to do with your fundamental misunderstanding of the CDC's IFR number. You've messed this up before, I don't understand why I can't just admit that your attempted correction of [mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention] was in error. The .65% IFR already accounted for population weighting. 

How did we get to .65? What’d i miss? The last I saw it was .26.

5 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

How the hell did you get there from my post?  I’ve allowed all my employees to work from home, even the ones who are 50 percent less productive.  I’ve asked them if they come in to make sure they mask up and be careful.  Honestly you seem like an idiot and not worth engaging but you don’t know a damn thing about me.  I feel good about what I’ve done so far.  I am pissed that one knuckle head has fucked up a lot of effort by being a Dumas.

Zero reason for your office to be open at all then. If you're going to bitch about people coming in sick, close the office dude.

16 hours ago, dcar00 said:

LOL. you dumbass.  I know you are a sooner so its not surprising you have trouble reading.  I didn't say it was liberal polls and I said referencing vox and guardian is just like when people say "oh yeah sure Fox News".  and polls from fox news suck too.  I'd have to check but I don't think I've ever referenced polls. they are all dumb, leading and biased.

do you ever admit you are a dumbass or do you go around nonchalantly over reacting like a shitty sooner and not reading?   This is how I'm supposed to Surly right?  point out shitty reading comprehension.

Yeah, I don’t know man. The Texas board has spoken and it seems you’re the dumbass.  Also, you seem mad.  You ok?  Crying is a really bad look for such a tough guy like you.  Leave that stuff to the libs, bro.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

.5% of 328 million is a shit ton of people. 

Seriously, I'm trying to imagine anyone saying this in another context:

• Military invasion of the US would only kill 1.6 million people. 
  • The bomb in the city would only kill 1.6 million people.
  • The terrorists would only kill 1.6 million people. 
  • MS-13 would only murder 1.6 million people. 

I'm sure the answer to any of those would also be to just let it happen rather than, I don't know, making a concerted societal effort to avoid the harm. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Squealer,

when the numbers don't support your viewpoint, you completely lie about them.

in a nutshell, that's one of the most dangerous issues we're dealing within this country. an entire segment of our population that is completely unwilling to deal in the truth. it's a huge reason we're getting our ass kicked by this disease.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Brew said:

Dcar has to be three sheets to the wind with his logic today. I’m not sure why a few of you are going in this circle with him and MN.

I actually waited all Sunday to reply anything back to him after his hot takes.  I mean we’ve all been there on a bender.  But I come back to see he only tripled and quadrupled down on his stupidity.  I was shocked, shocked I tell you!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stone oak said:

show your work

It's already been done many times. We talked about it a few pages ago.

But, all you need to do is google "United States Covid Cases", look at the chart, then do the same thing for basically any first-world country and compare the charts.

26 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

What a ridiculous thing to say. "Burning through" is the worst thing that can happen to our economy. Leaving aside the death that would entail (roughly 1mm), just the massive loss of productivity would be catastrophic. Europe is reopening to tourism and back to work because they had a modicum of discipline and consistent leadership over a 90 day period. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

How did we get to .65? What’d i miss? The last I saw it was .26.

See below. Seriously, you've been commenting on it. . .  But, it really doesn't matter what the percentage is. The point of the post is to get you to admit that you misunderstood how the statistics work. Why can't you just do that?

15 hours ago, justhookit said:

Kindergarten math is beyond reach for a few of these posters you are referencing.

in related news, the CDC updated their estimate for IFR. Also some interesting stuff in the article about asymptomatic cases. If it’s accurate your “masks, social distancing, and significant limitations on citizen movement” will be with us well into 2021. 

https://news.yahoo.com/40-people-infected-covid-19-183643643.html?guccounter=1

The new report also included an "Infection Fatality Ratio," which counts deaths in symptomatic and asymptomatic cases to more accurately capture "disease severity." Under the new metric, the CDC estimated that 0.65% of people infected with Covid-19 are forecasted to die. 

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It's already been done many times. We talked about it a few pages ago.

But, all you need to do is google "United States Covid Cases", look at the chart, then do the same thing for basically any first-world country and compare the charts.

Uuugghh. So much work!mad paul rudd GIF

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

when the numbers don't support your viewpoint, you completely lie about them.

Or just keep moving the goalposts as needed, which has been done many times on this thread since March by both sides.

4 minutes ago, stone oak said:

Or just keep moving the goalposts as needed, which has been done many times on this thread since March by both sides.

What are the two "sides" you're taking about here? People who think COVID is a serious thing, and those who don't?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away