Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

You could say that about anywhere above 110th.  My point was part of Manhattan is above the river.  You called me wrong and I wasn’t  

By day it’s one of the most wonderfully diverse places in the world.  I’m glad I have  family there to visit. 

next week we will be covering how our largest state has the fewest number of counties and that Louisiana technically has zero counties   

39 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

How the fuck Texas and other states allowed anything indoors without that is fucking mind bottling.  Seriously.

Because in the souf, people who wear masks are librul beta cucks, duh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

It’s possible NYC is just flat out immune to it, theres reports that herd immunity doesn’t need to be 60-70% to slow down. This says 43% needed.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/06/200623111329.htm

No No no. 60-70% in certain specific communities, not across the state. And, it wasn't even random testing, just people for the people that came in the door. We'd sort of expect people seeking treatment are more likely to be infected. You cannot attribute that percentage across the general population at all. 

Random testing in NYC has indicated a roughly 20 percent antibody rate citywide. A few poorer neighborhoods got up above 50 percent, but of course the flip side of that is that some areas are very low.

Add in accuracy issues with antibody tests and the fact that a lot remains to be discovered about immunity, and speculating that New York has built herd immunity is just wildly off base.

Also, I saw a claim up thread (or maybe the other thread, I read that one more because it's less texags-y) that the virus would peter out in a month because it'd run out of people to infect. That's so dumb it's not even worth dissecting but worth noting since we're in the same neighborhood.

• Like 3

Random testing in NYC has indicated a roughly 20 percent antibody rate citywide. A few poorer neighborhoods got up above 50 percent, but of course the flip side of that is that some areas are very low.

Add in accuracy issues with antibody tests and the fact that a lot remains to be discovered about immunity, and speculating that New York has built herd immunity is just wildly off base.

Also, I saw a claim up thread (or maybe the other thread, I read that one more because it's less texags-y) that the virus would peter out in a month because it'd run out of people to infect. That's so dumb it's not even worth dissecting but worth noting since we're in the same neighborhood.

Yea..in freaking May.

No No no. 60-70% in certain specific communities, not across the state. And, it wasn't even random testing, just people for the people that came in the door. We'd sort of expect people seeking treatment are more likely to be infected. You cannot attribute that percentage across the general population at all. 

It’s like you totally ignored me saying NYC instead of NY state

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Ummmm.....what we know is that their current approach (which includes NOT opening indoor venues) is working.  The query you posit is an absolute non-sequitur -- it amounts to saying "we won't know if what NY is doing works until they do something that creates a higher-risk."  WTF?

Should New York keep indoor venues closed for the next 6 months? The next year? 5 years? 

2 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Should New York keep indoor venues closed for the next 6 months? The next year? 5 years? 

I don't know.  What do public health analysts advise?  I would generally listen to and follow their advice, instead of just pulling a plan out of my ass.

• Like 1

e0438a622cf033d77d7dac3fba8f356a.plist
e6a87a7b1bb3d24f6c601ea17159455e.plist

Here’s where I’m at, it took about FL 5X the tests to even barely beat NY for a daily case record at 15k .

If NY had FL testing in that time frame, what scary number are we looking at? 50k cases? Oh but people couldn’t either get tests, or 40% weren’t sick enough to know they even had to get a test .

• Like 1

You realize that NYC consists of more than 2 clinics in Queens right? I even posted a pretty graphic with colors for you. I didn’t actually expect you to read the article I linked for you. I now remember why I stopped posting in this thread.

Right because if you’re going to hedge your bet on false negatives that’s a hell of a hill to die on.

We’re 5 months into and the testing still sucks

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

What a ridiculous thing to say. "Burning through" is the worst thing that can happen to our economy. Leaving aside the death that would entail (roughly 1mm), just the massive loss of productivity would be catastrophic. Europe is reopening to tourism and back to work because they had a modicum of discipline and consistent leadership over a 90 day period. 

Don't compare us to Europe! But I hear Sweden is doing some interesting things. We should try that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

I am really tempted to fire an employee who came in for 3 d days after losing smell and taste, never told anyone, then got a headache and finally got tested and was positive.  Now I’ve quarantined four others and myself who were in any kind of contact with numbnuts but how do you stop a disease when otherwise intelligent professionals are such dumbasses?

He is 27 of course.  I think millennials are turning to this disease to kill off the olds.

If he's covering that up and putting you all at risk, what the hell else is he covering up?

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

Toss that in with increased unemployment benefits ending this month with no indication of extension and the eviction protections starting to expire... It's gonna get real ugly soon.

Mnuchin says there will be a bill before the end of the month.  I have my doubts.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

It’s like you totally ignored me saying NYC instead of NY state

It isn't true for New York City either. That data was for very specific neighborhoods and wasn't based on random testing. You finally found it down below, but NYC as a whole is closer to 20%. It is a far far cry from 60+% numbers you were citing.  

4 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Closing the economy does not make the virus go away. Masks do not make the virus go away.  It will never go away.  It needs to burn through so we can have herd immunity. It kills fewer than .5%.  Of course everybody knows this, but that's not what this is about.

You're right. When all these countries around the world closed everything for a couple months, wore masks, etc. for two months and managed to bring new cases per day to nearly 0 and only had one local maximum -- despite in almost all cases having higher pop density and more public transportation -- it had nothing to do with the masks, lockdown, contact tracing, etc. 

You're also right to point out that no one suffers any long term consequences from this. Either you die or you're fine after two weeks.

Oh wait you're fucking stupid because masks, social distancing, and contact tracing all helped reduce spread AND plenty of people will suffer long term damage to their lungs and hearts for every one person that dies. If we hadn't opened early and handled it properly from the beginning we could be properly opening now like plenty of other countries.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, justhookit said:

You realize that NYC consists of more than 2 clinics in Queens right? I even posted a pretty graphic with colors for you. I didn’t actually expect you to read the article I linked for you. I now remember why I stopped posting in this thread.

eddie murphy laughing GIF

Yea..in freaking May.

Holy shit. Thanks. Data 4 weeks old is really relevant. But let me guess, I’m a stupid fucking idiot?

So, #1, look at a calendar. Four weeks ago wasn't May. #2, the results from the more recent study are in line with earlier samples in April, and we know the virus isn't spreading like wildfire in NY right now.

I dont understand why you're doubling down here. It's surly. We all embellish shit or say things we shouldn't from time to time. Own it and move on.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

CA is shutting down again 

Complete incompetence and mismanagement by the political leaders of California. Unbelievable that they couldn't learn from New York and stop the spread.

Am I doing this right?

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

you pretty happy with how things are being handled in Texas?

in my little part of it....yes, for the most part......except I do wish folks would wear masks, and I do feel bad for "some" of the bar and brewery owners. Its hard to have sympathy for some folks though.

11 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

in my little part of it....yes, for the most part......except I do wish folks would wear masks, and I do feel bad for "some" of the bar and brewery owners. Its hard to have sympathy for some folks though.

it sounds like you live in a small-ish community where most people aren't wearing masks and most businesses aren't adhering to social distancing, etc. but that you haven't seen a large outbreak yet. is that accurate?

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, stone oak said:
Or just keep moving the goalposts as needed, which has been done many times on this thread since March by both sides.

Quit making a public health crisis political, asshole.

Hilariously hypocritical.

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, stone oak said:
Or just keep moving the goalposts as needed, which has been done many times on this thread since March by both sides.

Quit making a public health crisis political, asshole.

Dipshit can’t help himself.  Seriously, this thread is a beat down of stupidity.  I should have just stayed out.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away