Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

22 hours ago, dcar00 said:

the election poll counts.  quit being a chicken shit and just cite your number.  you are the one that brought it up and the one that started the whole thing.  more mayor of brisket town shit.  you must be pretty fucking miserable.

Actually, he's a damned cool dude that leads a great, satisfying life. Not miserable at all.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, stone oak said:
Hilariously hypocritical.

Expand on that. In what way is anything you quoted hypocritical?

I'm not referring to what you said. I just think it's hilarious that some of our most "popular" posters are the ones claiming you can't separate the pandemic and politics- and then you come in and tell me to stop politicizing the thread. 

Just another case of the goal posts always moving to fit the proper narrative. That's the playbook.

Edited by stone oak
  • Fuck You 4

8 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Doctors are playing politics with the virus.  Opp Research out front should have told ya.  The stupidity in the country right now is stupefying.

I am really tempted to fire an employee who came in for 3 d days after losing smell and taste, never told anyone, then got a headache and finally got tested and was positive.  Now I’ve quarantined four others and myself who were in any kind of contact with numbnuts but how do you stop a disease when otherwise intelligent professionals are such dumbasses?

He is 27 of course.  I think millennials are turning to this disease to kill off the olds.

Fire the son of a bitch.  At the least he committed assault against fellow employees, at worst negligent homicide.

*I am not a lawyer, although I play a gynocologist in real life

• Like 4

2 hours ago, stone oak said:

Complete incompetence and mismanagement by the political leaders of California. Unbelievable that they couldn't learn from New York and stop the spread.

Am I doing this right?

Sure. There are some differences in that Newsom has been consistently supporting public health officials, been pro-lockdown, etc. and was only forced by the political reality of an open rebellion by sheriffs and the stupid people of Southern California. The people of OC sent so many death threats to their health commissioner she quit out of fear for her family's lives. LA and OC just ignored the beach closure order and partied on beaches and no cops enforced the order. I'd say the governor did about as well as he could, while county and municipal governments in SoCal and the no man's land north of Sacramento managed to do worse than just about any county or municipal government in Texas. It's unsurprising the 6 worst counties of CA for rona are all in SoCal while NorCal is mostly comparatively ok. Not surprising as local government in CA is dumber than just about anywhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hpara759 said:

in my little part of it....yes, for the most part......except I do wish folks would wear masks, and I do feel bad for "some" of the bar and brewery owners. Its hard to have sympathy for some folks though.

To be fair, he didn't ask about your little part of it, he asked about the state of Texas.

12 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’d just like to point out that there is an avalanche of financial pain headed our way because we weren’t willing or able to do what was necessary to get this thing under control.

helluva job, America.

All we had to do was wear masks consistently and we'd have saved $1 trillion in GDP (5%) says Goldman Sachs.

But no, MUH FREEDOMS couldn't do for that. 

• Like 2

How many more pictures of “clearly not muh freedom” people do you need to see before you stop that stupid fucking phrase? Are there those people out there?? Of course there are and they should be rightfully shamed, but let’s not act Ike they are the only violators.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

How many more pictures of “clearly not muh freedom” people do you need to see before you stop that stupid fucking phrase? Are there those people out there?? Of course there are and they should be rightfully shamed, but let’s not act Ike they are the only violators.

Well, the "muh freedom" people are the ones on Facebook and Twitter and their neighborhood Nextdoor group telling everyone masks are a scam and perpetuating the stupidity and danger. So they're more dangerous than the average non-mask person.

But yeah, the people who go on Facebook and tell everyone to "MASK UP!!" then have 20 extended family members over to their apartment need to piss off too.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

Which would you prefer instead? 

• "Fake medical condition" Karen screaming in Trader Joe's while inhaling COVID 
  • "I'm not getting enough oxygen" Karen even though it has been proven false that masks decrease oxygen levels - though how could you tell if they were getting less oxygen to their brains? 
  • "This violates HIPAA and/or the Americans with Disabilities Act" yeah no it doesn't
  • "Here's my fake card I printed off the internet that shows I don't have to wear a mask" Karen
  • "It's a hoax" Karen
Edited by Js1
  • Like 2

Well, the "muh freedom" people are the ones on Facebook and Twitter and their neighborhood Nextdoor group telling everyone masks are a scam and perpetuating the stupidity and danger. So they're more dangerous than the average non-mask person.

But yeah, the people who go on Facebook and tell everyone to "MASK UP!!" then have 20 extended family members over to their apartment need to piss off too.

I’ve blocked several friends because of their constant “government overreach” bullshit and their constant “Wearing a mask makes you a sheep” rhetoric. That said, there is plenty of photo evidence of people in the wild that clearly don’t fit the “muh freedoms” mold that JS1 loves so very much. The hypocrisy is what is continuing to divide this nation further. Let’s shame all of the non mask wearers. Let’s shame all of the people who are gathering en mass during a pandemic.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’ve blocked several friends because of their constant “government overreach” bullshit and their constant “Wearing a mask makes you a sheep” rhetoric. That said, there is plenty of photo evidence of people in the wild that clearly don’t fit the “muh freedoms” mold that JS1 loves so very much. The hypocrisy is what is continuing to divide this nation further. Let’s shame all of the non mask wearers. Let’s shame all of the people who are gathering en mass during a pandemic.

Agreed. I'm an equal opportunity hater.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

k.

cool.

hook' em and wear a mask

Also, username and whatnot. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

Around here, the primary offender for no masks are 55-70 year old white people. And young mothers with their kids.

Also there's a huge difference between "person out in the wild not wearing a mask" and "persons intentionally posting disinformation about mask effectiveness on facebook/twitter/nextdoor and actively protesting against masks"

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’d just like to point out that there is an avalanche of financial pain headed our way because we weren’t willing or able to do what was necessary to get this thing under control.

helluva job, America.

36 minutes ago, Js1 said:

All we had to do was wear masks consistently and we'd have saved $1 trillion in GDP (5%) says Goldman Sachs.

But no, MUH FREEDOMS couldn't do for that. 

Yep...

Stupid games something something stupid prizes.

Half assed measures, half assed results

• Like 2

Also there's a huge difference between "person out in the wild not wearing a mask" and "persons intentionally posting disinformation about mask effectiveness on facebook/twitter/nextdoor and actively protesting against masks"

Right? The one in the wild can actually spread the virus vs the Karen posting on Facebook from home.
  • Like 2

Statistically speaking, there will be a slight baby boom in about six months.   And statistically speaking, half will be girls and one will be named Karen.  And statistically speaking, 15 years from now she’ll be googling this period in American history for a report at school.  And she’s going to murder her parents. And we are going to have an entire forum dedicated to her Florida mugshot and the ensuing trial.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Statistically speaking, there will be a slight baby boom in about six months.   And statistically speaking, half will be girls and one will be named Karen.  And statistically speaking, 15 years from now she’ll be googling this period in American history for a report at school.  And she’s going to murder her parents. And we are going to have an entire forum dedicated to her Florida mugshot and the ensuing trial.  

I'd also accept Ohio. 

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

There might be a difference in intent,  but there's no difference in effect.

I don't believe the Facebook Karens that intentionally post disinformation on social media about mask-wearing, are actually convincing fence-sitters not to wear masks. They're simply speaking into their own echo chambers and gaining affirmations from people that believe, and do, the exact same things anyway.  None of the hoaxers or anti-maskers are convincing anyone of their viewpoints.  If anything, I've seen a lot more people go the OTHER direction-- from the hoax or "just a flu" viewpoint, to the "we need to take this seriously" slant on things.  My parents are old and conservative and my siblings and I worked on them until we finally got them to take it seriously, and I've seen the same from a lot of other people in their situations, and ours.

On the other hand the maskless 20-29 groups hitting bars (when they were open), house parties (even still), riding 14 per boat on the lake (saw it last weekend), all without wearing masks-- they're a huge part of the problem as well.  And they're not the Muh Rights Crowd nor are they the Facebook Karens.  They're just young, and self-absorbed, and feel they're invincible.  COVID is not a thing for them, no matter how many times the news tells them that it is.  They're not watching or listening to the news, anyway.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I don't believe the Facebook Karens that intentionally post disinformation on social media about mask-wearing, are actually convincing fence-sitters not to wear masks. They're simply speaking into their own echo chambers and gaining affirmations from people that believe, and do, the exact same things anyway.  None of the hoaxers or anti-maskers are convincing anyone of their viewpoints.

I'd have to agree. As absolutely horrible a Facebook has become, the radicals are already so deeply entrenched in their positions that they're going to twist things to suit their world view regardless. I have a hard time believing fence sitters in possession of even the slightest amount of critical thinking are saying, "My mother-in-law's sister keeps posting that video with the 'world-renowned doctor' that keeps getting pulled. I wonder what they're trying to hide? You know, it IS an election year...maybe I am a sheep..."

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'd have to agree. As absolutely horrible a Facebook has become, the radicals are already so deeply entrenched in their positions that they're going to twist things to suit their world view regardless. I have a hard time believing fence sitters in possession of even the slightest amount of critical thinking are saying, "My mother-in-law's sister keeps posting that video with the 'world-renowned doctor' that keeps getting pulled. I wonder what they're trying to hide? You know, it IS an election year...maybe I am a sheep..."

Heh... yeah, maybe I SHOULD pay more attention to radical weirdos on Facebook.

But I'm not gonna! 

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I don't believe the Facebook Karens that intentionally post disinformation on social media about mask-wearing, are actually convincing fence-sitters not to wear masks. They're simply speaking into their own echo chambers and gaining affirmations from people that believe, and do, the exact same things anyway.  None of the hoaxers or anti-maskers are convincing anyone of their viewpoints.  If anything, I've seen a lot more people go the OTHER direction-- from the hoax or "just a flu" viewpoint, to the "we need to take this seriously" slant on things.  My parents are old and conservative and my siblings and I worked on them until we finally got them to take it seriously, and I've seen the same from a lot of other people in their situations, and ours.

On the other hand the maskless 20-29 groups hitting bars (when they were open), house parties (even still), riding 14 per boat on the lake (saw it last weekend), all without wearing masks-- they're a huge part of the problem as well.  And they're not the Muh Rights Crowd nor are they the Facebook Karens.  They're just young, and self-absorbed, and feel they're invincible.  COVID is not a thing for them, no matter how many times the news tells them that it is.  They're not watching or listening to the news, anyway.

Not sure why I read that as face-sitters, but I did nonetheless.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I don't believe the Facebook Karens that intentionally post disinformation on social media about mask-wearing, are actually convincing fence-sitters not to wear masks. They're simply speaking into their own echo chambers and gaining affirmations from people that believe, and do, the exact same things anyway.  None of the hoaxers or anti-maskers are convincing anyone of their viewpoints.  If anything, I've seen a lot more people go the OTHER direction-- from the hoax or "just a flu" viewpoint, to the "we need to take this seriously" slant on things. 

The fact that the general social feeling on masks ebbs and flows disproves what you're saying here though. 

Social media influences society, and we've seen that mask adoption can be swayed up and down. So the rednecks posting mask hoax memes on Facebook are a large part of the problem. There is a nonzero number of people out there who subconsciously or consciously decided that it was okay not to wear a mask because other people were doing it and telling them it was okay. There are a lot of stupid, easily-influenced people in this world and all of them are heavy social media users.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

The fact that the general social feeling on masks ebbs and flows disproves what you're saying here though. 

Social media influences society, and we've seen that mask adoption can be swayed up and down. So the rednecks posting mask hoax memes on Facebook are a large part of the problem. There is a nonzero number of people out there who subconsciously or consciously decided that it was okay not to wear a mask because other people were doing it and telling them it was okay. There are a lot of stupid, easily-influenced people in this world and all of them are heavy social media users.

You have absolutely zero evidence that social media is causing any such ebb and flow.

Mainstream media shows images of people not wearing masks in public, or people standing in huge groups shoulder to shoulder with or without masks, and I believe that is far more likely to alter public perception, than Facebook posts from crackpot hoaxers or anti-maskers.  But I'll readily admit that I have no more actual evidence to support that assertion than you do to support yours.

Edited by utee94

You have absolutely zero evidence that social media is causing any such ebb and flow.

C'mon man. Being a human being that lives on planet Earth is plenty of evidence that people are influenced by social media. You're arguing just to argue.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

C'mon man. Being a human being that lives on planet Earth is plenty of evidence that people are influenced by social media. You're arguing just to argue.

As I said, zero evidence.  Just your supposition and a logically false appeal to ignorance.

On the other hand, I've offered an alternative.  MSM images are powerful.  I believe the ones from the Floyd protests and ensuing riots caused a lot of fence-sitters to say eff it.  It wasn't just the protests though, images from crowded beaches around the country also contributed heavily.  I believe all of those were far more influential in convincing fence-sitters to go the wrong direction, than crackpot posts on social media from weird Aunt Louise.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, utee94 said:

As I said, zero evidence.  Just your supposition and a logically false appeal to ignorance.

On the other hand, I've offered an alternative.  MSM images are powerful.  I believe the ones from the Floyd protests and ensuing riots caused a lot of fence-sitters to say eff it.  It wasn't just the protests though, images from crowded beaches around the country also contributed heavily.  I believe all of those were far more influential in convincing fence-sitters to go the wrong direction, than crackpot posts on social media from weird Aunt Louise.

Ah.

There's the agenda. Now I see why you're so dug in.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Ah.

There's the agenda. Now I see why you're so dug in.

Lulz.  Come on man, you've seen me post around here.  That's not my agenda.  I'm just offering reasons why people seemed to falter at wearing masks starting in June. Even here in Austin it became notably more lax, until the numbers started climbing and people got scared again, and then of course the mask orders came around.  And I don't believe for a second that was a result of crackpot hoaxers on social media.

I appreciate your opinions and insights on this thread, but you do seem to assume a lot about folks that you know nothing about.  One might argue that you have an agenda of your own that you tend to push. *shrug*

No skin off my back either way.  I'm calling out MSM images of the protests, and the riots which I don't consider to be the same thing, as well as beach revelry, and other high profile events and occurrences, that all started happening in late May/early June, as reasons for the decrease in mask usage and increase in other lax behaviors.  I also believe the opening of bars was very pivotal in the spread and the age groups that are going to the bars aren't the ones arguing in Karen-like fashion on Facebook, nor are they the ones taking cues from images on MSM.  There are a lot of different factors at play here. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Lulz.  Come on man, you've seen me post around here.  That's not my agenda.  I'm just offering reasons why people seemed to falter at wearing masks starting in June. Even here in Austin it became notably more lax, until the numbers started climbing and people got scared again, and then of course the mask orders came around.  And I don't believe for a second that was a result of crackpot hoaxers on social media.

I appreciate your opinions and insights on this thread, but you do seem to assume a lot about folks that you know nothing about.  One might argue that you have an agenda of your own that you tend to push. *shrug*

No skin off my back either way.  I'm calling out MSM images of the protests, and the riots which I don't consider to be the same thing, as well as beach revelry, and other high profile events and occurrences, that all started happening in late May/early June, as reasons for the decrease in mask usage and increase in other lax behaviors.  I also believe the opening of bars was very pivotal in the spread and the age groups that are going to the bars aren't the ones arguing in Karen-like fashion on Facebook, nor are they the ones taking cues from images on MSM.  There are a lot of different factors at play here. 

I don't disagree with you at all. I think the protests probably led to some people choosing not to wear masks. Mostly people who are "anti-protest" who figure that if those people can get together in groups to protest, why are they sitting at home being cautious? Obviously a short-sighted and immature stance that shows a complete grasp of nuance and scope, but I agree with you that there was probably a not insignificant number of people in this group.

I also think that the suburban house moms who pretend they're being safe then post pictures of them with their 20 family members on Facebook are to blame, because they're normalizing that behavior.

And of course the "mask hoax" people share blame as well.

My last post was because I knew there had to be a reason you were trench mentality against a very obviously true statement that all of the anti-mask memes and posts and "articles" and quotes from "doctors" have influenced people. There's no way anyone is actually going to make that argument unless it's a visceral reaction to something. There's lots of blame to go around but the "muh rights" hoaxers are right up near the top of that list.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2

Just now, BradInATX said:

I don't disagree with you at all. I think the protests probably led to some people choosing not to wear masks. Mostly people who are "anti-protest" who figure that if those people can get together in groups to protest, why are they sitting at home being cautious? Obviously a short-sighted and immature stance that shows a complete grasp of nuance and scope, but I agree with you that there was probably a not insignificant group of people in this group.

I also think that the suburban house moms who pretend they're being safe then post pictures of them with their 20 family members on Facebook are to blame, because they're normalizing that behavior.

And of course the "mask hoax" people share blame as well.

My last post was because I knew there had to be a reason you were trench mentality against a very obviously true statement that all of the anti-mask memes and posts and "articles" and quotes from "doctors" have influenced people. There's no way anyone is actually going to make that argument unless it's a visceral reaction to something. There's lots of blame to go around but the "muh rights" hoaxers are right up near the top of that list.

Well I'll agree with about 75% of your post so there we have it. :)

I have no reason to defend the social media hoaxer crackpots, I just don't think they're much of a factor compared to a lot of other issues which I think contributed far more heavily.  I understand that you disagree with my assertion, and that's fine.  Reasonable people can disagree.

I'll add that anyone that took the images of protests, or riots, or beach revelry, as justification for saying eff it, was likely already looking for a reason to say eff it.  So in that sense, some of them probably do fall into the "muh rights" camp, but I don't think it was social media posts that convinced them, but rather their innate leanings.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Well I'll agree with about 75% of your post so there we have it. :)

I have no reason to defend the social media hoaxer crackpots, I just don't think they're much of a factor compared to a lot of other issues which I think contributed far more heavily.  I understand that you disagree with my assertion, and that's fine.  Reasonable people can disagree.

I'll add that anyone that took the images of protests, or riots, or beach revelry, as justification for saying eff it, was likely already looking for a reason to say eff it.  So in that sense, some of them probably do fall into the "muh rights" camp, but I don't think it was social media posts that convinced them, but rather their innate leanings.

Fair.

And I have my very own visceral reaction to anti-science and anti-intellect. So the conspiracy theorists and "fake news!" crowd sits there and watches Europe getting back to normal as we're still floundering in the mud, and still wants to post stupid shit on Facebook about masks and fake science, it irritates me. 

It's basically one giant version of "this is why we can't have nice things", but on a grand scale where they're impacting quality of life for millions of families and children. Fuck them. Fuck the other groups you and I have covered too, but fuck the hoaxers the hardest. They're willingly and brazenly destructive.

Edited by BradInATX

23 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

wait, wut. you think there were people that were wearing masks, then said fuck it...starting in june...based on the main stream media?

Absolutely.  I know some of them.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away