Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

This is harsh but I’m kind of tired of it. The real problem with this disease is it is not fast enough.  If 200 of those people were in a hospital today and 50 died by Tuesday, mask compliance would shoot up.  

The problem is that people are like dogs - they have no ability to correlate events that don’t happen in rapid succession. 
Inclusive of several posters on this board as well
Do not insult the many good boys and girls on the my dog is awesome thread by comparing them to our texaggy cohort.

my neighbor road tripped with his family from CO to Wisconsin. he said when they hit nebraska/iowa/wisconsin they were the only people at any establishment wearing a mask.  zero mask wearing or social distancing.

he said his wife was driving and they got pulled over (not sure which state) and he was half asleep and he wakes up with a cop on his side with his face about 2 feet from his not wearing a mask. he yelled 'dude put on a mask are you serious?!' and the cop apologized and started walking back to his car.

for whatever reason we're just incapable of doing what's necessary to stop this thing. certain states will flare up, go through a ton of unnecessary pain, then finally adopt simple measures to beat it back...but it won't matter because other states won't do anything. people will traverse from one place to another, and this cycle of flare ups and lock downs will continue. 

tldr: we suck

• Like 2

I wear a mask anytime I go into a building other than my office, because I can shut the door. One positive with shutting my door though, it makes taking an afternoon dip much easier in the workplace. 

30 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We seem to be a disbelieving, prove it, reactionary society. Some proactive measures (subjective term considering how late in the process we are mandating masks) are just not going to be accepted until/ unless friends and neighbors start dropping dead. 

"Americans will always do the right thing, only after they have tried everything else"

• Like 4

MN reported the states first 0-5 death today, just so happened to be in my county. 9 month old, no underlying issues and the parents never hospitalized the kid. No other details, sad as shit. No hospitalization = SIDS potentially? Who knows. I’ll post more when i read it.

MN infectious disease director says investigation ongoing for very rare, isolated death

37 minutes ago, landman said:

Wasn't it mid-June, 2 weeks after the protests started up, that the numbers started spiking?  They were staying fairly level to that point.

Bless your heart and the rock you just crawled out from under. Guess you missed all that pesky reopening stuff 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, landman said:

Wasn't it mid-June, 2 weeks after the protests started up, that the numbers started spiking?  They were staying fairly level to that point.

You're definitly immune to covid if you're protesting*

*subject to cabal judgment on the protest topic

Edited by stone oak
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, JSB said:

I wear a mask anytime I go into a building other than my office, because I can shut the door. One positive with shutting my door though, it makes taking an afternoon dip much easier in the workplace. 

if your office is a standard office building with drop ceiling and building-wide AC you're getting corona'd.  but at least you'll be in flavor country.

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

MN reported the states first 0-5 death today, just so happened to be in my county. 9 month old, no underlying issues and the parents never hospitalized the kid. No other details, sad as shit. No hospitalization = SIDS potentially? Who knows. I’ll post more when i read it.

MN infectious disease director says investigation ongoing for very rare, isolated death

CO-SIDS 19??

36 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Both of whom are dumber than a bag of hammers.  Don't forget that.  Their logic skills would leave my dog puzzled as to how stupid they are, and keep in mind, she chews her own ass recreationally.

tHe PrOtEsTs DiD nOtHiNg tO cAuSe ThE sUrGe

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Damn the stupids have escaped again.  Anecdotal information but all the consultants I work with in various fields are expecting this to be 12 to 18 months longer.  None of them are in health care, many are very conservative, but reality is setting in now.  School being cancelled in person and sports looking likely to be curtailed is apparently what it takes to wake everyone up.

9 minutes ago, stone oak said:

tHe PrOtEsTs DiD nOtHiNg tO cAuSe ThE sUrGe

If you'll recall folks (in this thread at least) weren't saying the protests didn't likely contribute to the surge, but rather that they were another bump up on top of the early reopening and everyone going back to bars without facemasks. 

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

dog-licking-butt.jpg

Reminds me of the aggy joke...

Two aggys were walking down the street when they see a dog cleaning himself.

The first aggy says, "I wish I could do that."

The second aggy replies, "Me, too, but I'm afraid he'll bite."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If you'll recall folks (in this thread at least) weren't saying the protests didn't likely contribute to the surge, but rather that they were another bump up on top of the early reopening and everyone going back to bars without facemasks. 
The protest truthers tell on themselves when they omit crowded beaches, bars, failed political rallies, and yelling at cops to open Olive Garden from their explanations about why numbers went up

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

We had one infant die here in Corpus. The speculation is it was SIDS and he also happened to have COVID. We have had like 85 infants test positive here in the county and they think it’s because they are aggressive with testing. Meaning if anyone in a household tests positive, they automatically test everyone in the house.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I'm sure it will go up today but it will be interesting to see if this tracks the cases rise/fall time period that NYC had (6-7 weeks)

Why do you keep bringing time into the equation? It has nothing to do with it. It’s math, and what we do regarding masks/social distancing.

20 hours ago, elfenix said:

if your office is a standard office building with drop ceiling and building-wide AC you're getting corona'd.  but at least you'll be in flavor country.

Drop ceilings, but walls up to the roof. I have the AC zone controller in my office, what does that mean? Does the Rona go through the AC? fuck.

8 hours ago, justhookit said:

Hi Rex?

Never on a plane, only when I'm not around women and children. I'm not a heathen. 

7 minutes ago, JSB said:

Drop ceilings, but walls up to the roof. I have the AC zone controller in my office, what does that mean? Does the Rona go through the AC? fuck.

Never on a plane, only when I'm not around women and children. I'm not a heathen. 

It's spread by droplets containing the virus which we emit in our exhalations and coughs and sneezes. If there's no/not enough filtering and a person sneezed near an air intake, that is potentially a mass exposure event. 

Which coincidentally is why wearing a mask is so critical, because even a cloth mask can contain the droplets

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's spread by droplets containing the virus which we emit in our exhalations and coughs and sneezes. If there's no/not enough filtering and a person sneezed near an air intake, that is potentially a mass exposure event. 

Which coincidentally is why wearing a mask is so critical, because even a cloth mask can contain the droplets

BOOM Air intake for my AC zone is also in my office. I'm golden for now. Others may be fucked if I get the Rona, but I think I'm safe. 

4 minutes ago, JSB said:

BOOM Air intake for my AC zone is also in my office. I'm golden for now. Others may be fucked if I get the Rona, but I think I'm safe. 

The only air intake for your zone is in your office?

also, my gut is telling me that for corona to be distributed through a hvac system it will need to overcome a good bit of gravity for a while, and at least one dust level filter where there is both size and path exclusion (droplets too large to pass through plus droplets that happen to hit the filter material instead of going through), not to mention the effect of expansion over time that should lessen any viral load in a cubic foot of delivered air. 
is there data to show otherwise?

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, justhookit said:

We had one infant die here in Corpus. The speculation is it was SIDS and he also happened to have COVID. We have had like 85 infants test positive here in the county and they think it’s because they are aggressive with testing. Meaning if anyone in a household tests positive, they automatically test everyone in the house.

Source?  I thought I read the opposite is happening.  When someone in a house tests positive, they don't test the rest of the house, they presume exposure and quarantine everyone.  Then they only test the remainder if they show any symptoms after the quarantine.  

14 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Dumb question alert: does breathing through your nose disperse the same amount of droplets as your mouth?

I don't think that's a dumb question. If the scientists are correct that the virus spreads primarily through airborne water droplets, it would seem to me that the effect would be minimal through the nose. 

But maybe I'm the dumb one.

2 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Source?  I thought I read the opposite is happening.  When someone in a house tests positive, they don't test the rest of the house, they presume exposure and quarantine everyone.  Then they only test the remainder if they show any symptoms after the quarantine.  

You read the opposite was happening in Corpus/Nueces County? The info was released during one of our daily briefings from the County Judge.

1 minute ago, justhookit said:

You read the opposite was happening in Corpus/Nueces County? The info was released during one of our daily briefings from the County Judge.

I thought you were speaking generally across the country, didn't realize this was specific to Nueces county.  

BB171cnA.img?h=100&w=100&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/medical/concerns-arise-as-some-receive-positive-covid-19-results-but-never-got-tested/ar-BB16Wkwg?ocid=sf&fbclid=IwAR3qCJFAxJivNG3paBrafkRxQVrsvpMTpamTrGJupit3ShrFH7MtLNZs_UU

"This is part of the testing mechanism problem. People are sitting in their cars, sometimes for hours, or standing in line, six feet apart sometimes for hours. You’re registered though, you’re number 15 in line, and you are Jay Wolfson. If Jay Wolfson says he can’t wait any longer and he leaves, it will get number 15 and now get Rebecca Fernandez, who was standing behind him, and she tests positive, and then everyone from then on gets the wrong results. There has to be a better way to do this,” explained Dr. Jay Wolfson, Public Health & Medicine Professor for the University of South Florida.

50 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Dumb question alert: does breathing through your nose disperse the same amount of droplets as your mouth?

No, unless you're purposely trying to exhale harder through it.  The resting breathing pattern in the average human adult sees much more dispersal/spit droplets through mouth breathing than nasal breathing (on the exhale at least, not sure about inhale in terms of volume of air consumed).  Unless of course you've just done two lines of blow consecutively, in which case---all bets are off.  Plus, it's not exactly a pandemic saver, but again---just physics...the exhale from your nose goes more down than out (though certainly outward as well).  

Bottom line when air comes out  (nose, mouth, or otherwise) from the fat faces of Americans......it goes far out and stays out for awhile.  Your question is a good one and I hope someone here can speak to specific bio-physics.  What I hope doesn't happen though is a tens of millions of Americans start using as their excuse for not wearing a mask, "I only breathe with my nose"...because those people are mouthbreathers usually...in every sense of the term.

And I'll be the first pro-mask disciple to admit that when I wear my mask, I breathe more through my mouth than I do with my nose.  No mask, I'm a 90% nose breather (I've had to get tested for respiratory shit).  With my mask (haven't had the same tests obviously, kind of a waste during these times), I'm probably a 75% mouth breather.  Don't know why that is, maybe because my mask smells like female reproductive parts for some reason and I really need to talk to that flea market I get my medical supplies from

Edited by Lobo

On 7/18/2020 at 1:37 PM, dcar00 said:

rubes I tell ya, rubes...

You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know.....Morons.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rpspeed said:

BB171cnA.img?h=100&w=100&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/medical/concerns-arise-as-some-receive-positive-covid-19-results-but-never-got-tested/ar-BB16Wkwg?ocid=sf&fbclid=IwAR3qCJFAxJivNG3paBrafkRxQVrsvpMTpamTrGJupit3ShrFH7MtLNZs_UU

"This is part of the testing mechanism problem. People are sitting in their cars, sometimes for hours, or standing in line, six feet apart sometimes for hours. You’re registered though, you’re number 15 in line, and you are Jay Wolfson. If Jay Wolfson says he can’t wait any longer and he leaves, it will get number 15 and now get Rebecca Fernandez, who was standing behind him, and she tests positive, and then everyone from then on gets the wrong results. There has to be a better way to do this,” explained Dr. Jay Wolfson, Public Health & Medicine Professor for the University of South Florida.

So don't give people numbers before they get tested. Assign them as they are tested perhaps? 

6 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

So don't give people numbers before they get tested. Assign them as they are tested perhaps? 

Or just confirm and match at the time they are actually given the test.  That's how Austin did it when we were tested -- LONG line of drive through.  We were given paperwork with a barcode that matched up to our names at station 1.  At station 2 (where they test you), they verified your bar code and name with their paperwork: "Let me see your paperwork -- your name please?"  "Brisketexan."  They read their sheet, verify that it's for Brisketexan, then administer the swab test and put the Brisketexan bar code sticker on the completed test that heads to the lab.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away