Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Kind of depends where you are and the current work-load. My kids had to get tests before going to camp in Arkansas in late June. Took my son for a regular test and it took 7 days to get back. Daughter got back from camp and had to get a test as there was a minor outbreak (3-4 cases) and her results were back in a couple of days. Then you hear about situations that Brew is talking about. Other than PPE, testing and tracing should've been the single most important thing to focus on.

My kids got a slight coughand it was either test or skip the Fourth of July with their aging grandparents.  My wife called around and got the kids tested that day at a clinic in Katy.  Results back in 15 minutes.

It feels like the people in control just decided to congratulate themselves on a job well done, figure it was overblown and move on.  Did we (Texas) even follow the opening phase at the prescribed timelines or did we blow through them?  Felt like the latter.  

It feels like that because that's what happened. The situation over the past month or so was painfully predictable. We didn't take advantage of the opportunity created by thr initial shutdown and are going to pay a more severe price for doing so. Plenty of people were saying this in April but the merry band of morons won out.

You ask a trick question. Texas never had data-based guidelines to reopen. Just dates. We were always going to plow forward no matter what. We had to get to the precipice of disaster, and send the RGV over the edge, before half the state started taking it seriously.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

I've yet to go to a pulmonologist but I started walking regularly in the evenings with my wife as soon as I started feeling better. We started in early/mid April and walk 2+ miles at a pretty decent pace every evening. My body is still acclimating to this daily routine. There is a pretty substantial hill near the end and it still kicks my ass more often than not. I think I'm making some incremental gains but not at the rate I'd normally expect. This is just my experience. I'll be 48 in a few months.

2 miles is a good distance for some folk, depending on where they live. You don't have to answer, but fair to assume that walk/hill were not as difficult before covid?

8 minutes ago, achooloco said:

2 miles is a good distance for some folk, depending on where they live. You don't have to answer, but fair to assume that walk/hill were not as difficult before covid?

We didn't walk before COVID. My wife walks and exercises a ton. I'd gotten out of the habit of regular exercise the past few years. I started with her while her dad's dental practice that she runs was closed during the shelter-in-place order in Dallas. So I don't have a baseline to compare to other than in the past my body would hate me something fierce for the first couple of weeks after restarting a regular regimen. The first two weeks were definitely a struggle. I assumed my body would acclimate as it had in the past pre-COVID. Perhaps it has but the gains are very, very slight. My PCP said as long as I feel it's improving, however slight, he's not overly worried.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It feels like that because that's what happened. The situation over the past month or so was painfully predictable. We didn't take advantage of the opportunity created by thr initial shutdown and are going to pay a more severe price for doing so. Plenty of people were saying this in April but the merry band of morons won out.

You ask a trick question. Texas never had data-based guidelines to reopen. Just dates. We were always going to plow forward no matter what. We had to get to the precipice of disaster, and send the RGV over the edge, before half the state started taking it seriously.

It's exactly what happened. We progressed from Stage 1 to Stage 2 to Stage 3 without bothering to see what effect the previous stage was going to have on our case-loads.

11 hours ago, Homercles said:

It feels like the people in control just decided to congratulate themselves on a job well done, figure it was overblown and move on.  Did we (Texas) even follow the opening phase at the prescribed timelines or did we blow through them?  Felt like the latter.  

Are you asking did Texas follow the White House/CDC Guidelines recommending there be 14 consecutive days of a decrease in covid-19 cases before beginning a Phase 1 re-opening of businesses/restaurants?

Nope. Not even close.

4 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Are you asking did Texas follow the White House/CDC Guidelines recommending there be 14 consecutive days of a decrease in covid-19 cases before beginning a Phase 1 re-opening of businesses/restaurants?

Nope. Not even close.

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

It's exactly what happened. We progressed from Stage 1 to Stage 2 to Stage 3 without bothering to see what effect the previous stage was going to have on our case-loads.

Yeah, it seems a little reckless in hindsight. 

They deleted his tweet from a few weeks ago, where he said masks would not be required at a campaign rally because "people are fed up":

So maybe a lot of people will now change their tone about masks.

Spoiler

Just kidding, they won't

Edited by atomheartbevo

My same response from the Death Pool thread:

I take no joy whatsoever in Herman Cain's death.  But there's going to be some amount of public figures dying from COVID who previously blew off the pandemic as inconsequential and/or publicly disregarded basic safety measures in the name of personal freedom.  And I'd like to think that the growing list of "we told you so" tragedies will start to sink it.  But probably not.

23 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Brazil's First Lady has it.  I would go into quarantine with her.

spacer.png

Gonna need an ass pic (bikini, one-piece, skirt, even a pants suit would suffice) before I can concur.  Sorry, but I come from a nation of law.  

No if you have a mask on. Every airline is running their air cycle machines with the recirc fans on from the moment people get on until the last one gets off. That changes the air in the cabin every 2 minutes and pushes it through filters as well. Air doesn't generally move longitudinal down the aisle of the cabin. You're sharing air with the people in your row on your side of the aisle generally. At least on a 737.

Bad Idea Jeans

“I’m 75, a cancer survivor, I’m on all sorts of pills. I’m going to travel to a place unmasked with thousands of other individuals unmasked during a pandemic where I could get a deadly disease from an asymptomatic person just for breathing near me. What could possibly go wrong? How often do I get to visit Tulsa?”

In all seriousness, this is a man who grew up in poverty, in segregation, and accomplished a lot. And despite his foolishness that probably claimed his life, I’m sure he’ll be missed and his death is a tragedy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/28/2020 at 6:28 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 7/28/2020 at 3:58 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I gotta say.. if that $1200 we got in May still is keeping your head above water, you should be a financial advisor

You got 1200?

/Humblebrag

On 7/29/2020 at 11:35 AM, C-Man said:

Same thing in California. It's maddening as hell.

I still believe if we all wore masks in March, we wouldn't have to shut down the economy.  Fauci and the CDC made a bad call in March about not wearing masks, but we could've stopped this thing in April/March if everyone wore a mask and adhered to social distancing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

For your local nw Wyoming report:

7/19 a political event is held at a restaurant. The owner of said restaurant has been on social media, namely the county public health officer fb page, complaining about masks and freedom.  In pictures, the event was outside on the patio but people were very closely packed in and no masks in sight. 
there’s been 10 confirmed cases so far from the event. The restauranteur made up some bullshit about closing for a few days so they could be with a family member just returned from deployment and an employee could visit a sick relative. 
one candidate has announced that she has it and is quarantined, but expects/demands to be allowed to participate in things electronically during her quarantine.

this event and it’s lack of precautions has led to 10 of the 11 or 12 known active cases in town. 
no apologies, no behavioral changes.  

• Hook 'Em 2

One of the "friends" from FB was complaining just a few weeks ago how Winn Dixie required face masks, and that he would stop shopping there.

Fast forward 2 weeks, and him, his wife and one of their kids tested positive with Covid. He's been providing daily updates of their symptoms, but still minimizes it with adjectives like "dull", "slight", "minor". Even if he's not minimizing it, it sure seems like a lot of pain and suffering to prove that masks and social distancing doesn't help prevent spread.

In his previous posts, he said his other 2 kids were afraid of contracting Covid from him, but he explained the "science of Covid" to re-assure they wouldn't get infected even though he didn't try to stay away and touched everything around the house. 

In his update today, he said both of them have tested positive "but only have minor symptoms". 

It's like watching a train wreck, but I can't turn away. Oh, and /Florida.

21 minutes ago, Superhero said:

I still believe if we all wore masks in March, we wouldn't have to shut down the economy.  Fauci and the CDC made a bad call in March about not wearing masks, but we could've stopped this thing in April/March if everyone wore a mask and adhered to social distancing.

I agree. My guess is Fauci and Brix would've liked to have done that but they were so scared to create a run on masks when medical personnel were woefully short on supply. I feel like they thought they were mitigating this. Unfortunately, all it's done now is give the conspiracy theorists a talking point about how Fauci is always wrong or said we didn't needs masks before, why now, etc? I'm sadly realizing a lot of Americans are really, really shitty people.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Superhero said:

One of the "friends" from FB was complaining just a few weeks ago how Winn Dixie required face masks, and that he would stop shopping there.

Fast forward 2 weeks, and him, his wife and one of their kids tested positive with Covid. He's been providing daily updates of their symptoms, but still minimizes it with adjectives like "dull", "slight", "minor". Even if he's not minimizing it, it sure seems like a lot of pain and suffering to prove that masks and social distancing doesn't help prevent spread.

In his previous posts, he said his other 2 kids were afraid of contracting Covid from him, but he explained the "science of Covid" to re-assure they wouldn't get infected even though he didn't try to stay away and touched everything around the house. 

In his update today, he said both of them have tested positive "but only have minor symptoms". 

If he was adamant it wasn't a big thing, and he's going out of his way to minimize it, yet he's still bitching on FB every day about it, then it's probably hitting him pretty good.  Otherwise he'd be out there posting videos of him jogging and discussing how great he feels, etc.

45 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I agree. My guess is Fauci and Brix would've liked to have done that but they were so scared to create a run on masks when medical personnel were woefully short on supply. I feel like they thought they were mitigating this. Unfortunately, all it's done now is give the conspiracy theorists a talking point about how Fauci is always wrong or said we didn't needs masks before, why now, etc? I'm sadly realizing a lot of Americans are really, really shitty people.

And a bunch of people are about to turn on Birx.

Because she's not enough of an expert to comment on it.

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

"There's new video of a raging maskdebate":

Blindness cases per month, 2020:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVwNLgz3CYIZXk3ucJKau

Some find the mask debate a handy excuse  while others find the mask debate an inward journey 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

If he was adamant it wasn't a big thing, and he's going out of his way to minimize it, yet he's still bitching on FB every day about it, then it's probably hitting him pretty good.  Otherwise he'd be out there posting videos of him jogging and discussing how great he feels, etc.

Nah, he said they slept poorly, coughed, had fevers > 100°, body aches, headaches, chills, no sense of smell, and dizziness. But THEY WERE ALL MILD!!!  He did say he felt okay enough to mow the lawn, and go out for a drive...

He's a good guy and we played on the worship team together. I wish he and his family can recover without any permanent damage, but this is one of those Covid dunks on him with balls in his face moments.

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

These are the type of people that need to be kicked in the junk with an iron boot.  What a fuckhead.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Same thing in California. It's maddening as hell.

Well you cannot wear masks to eat or drink for indoor dining. And cloth masks do not solve ventilation issues for employees/students working together in enclosed spaces for days and days or travelers in subways or airplanes.

And the US doesn’t have a great PTO access and in March we had very limited testing capacity. Employees would need to come to work with the sniffles to earn a paycheck. The economy was going to need to contract and did virtually everywhere. Just ours is one of the more severe recessions so far.

The order of shut down/restrictions needed to be:

International Travel
Non-essential Domestic Travel / Mass Transit
Leisure/Entertainment/Dining
Schools/Churches
Retail/Non-Essential Business
Essential businesses

Something like that. Including zip code hot zone mapping and coding guidance from CDC, WWII-like mobilization for PPE, testing, treatment, vaccinations, contract tracing, volunteers, temp housing for medical/nursing home staff, etc.

Had we had a single, sustained, and robust strategy that was developed and implemented, we’d be much better off. But masks are only part of public health mitigation.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

So one of my co-workers likely contracted it while partying at Nebraska’s Big Rodeo in Burwell. The main surprise is that it took him this long to get it as he has not been cautious at all. Luckily for me he has been remote since May.

Edited by Royalfan5

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Well you cannot wear masks to eat or drink for indoor dining. And cloth masks do not solve ventilation issues for employees/students working together in enclosed spaces for days and days or travelers in subways or airplanes.

And the US doesn’t have a great PTO access and in March we had very limited testing capacity. Employees would need to come to work with the sniffles to earn a paycheck. The economy was going to need to contract and did virtually everywhere. Just ours is one of the more severe recessions so far.

The order of shut down/restrictions needed to be:

International Travel
Non-essential Domestic Travel / Mass Transit
Leisure/Entertainment/Dining
Schools/Churches
Retail/Non-Essential Business
Essential businesses

Something like that. Including zip code hot zone mapping and coding guidance from CDC, WWII-like mobilization for PPE, testing, treatment, vaccinations, contract tracing, volunteers, temp housing for medical/nursing home staff, etc.

Had we had a single, sustained, and robust strategy that was developed and implemented, we’d be much better off. But masks are only part of public health mitigation.

I mentioned social distancing in my last sentence. Agree that we needed to cut back at restaurants, bars, concerts, mass transit, church, etc. to ensure physical distancing. But did we really need to shut everything (but essential industries) down?

Seems like most states are taking a all-or-nothing stance. Going from everyone stay home to Stage 3 in 3 weeks (ahem CA). Or going from Covid is a hoax to oh shit it's real in 3 weeks.

Unfortunately there's too much "Don't infringe on my freedumb" here in the US. I first heard about Covid in January from my parents who live in Taiwan. They had temperature checks at airports for the people coming into the country. Strict enforcement of quarantines using cell phone tracking, daily phone calls and heavy fines or jail time for people violating their quarantine. And people wore their damn masks like the government asked them to do. At one point, they ran out of masks, so the government stepped in and converted factories to increase production. According to my parents, people were afraid to go out, but the country did not shut down. Taiwan has been Covid free for over 3 months and everything is back to normal. Granted it's a small island and it's easy to close the border (just like NZ). But out of a population of 23M, only having 467 infections and 7 deaths is pretty impressive and meant people took it seriously.

• Hook 'Em 2

No politics, and my sister has Down's Syndrome...but most of you all are mentally retarded:

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/texas-coronavirus-update-austin-schools-young-population/269-7005c068-7377-4c8f-a65a-0d256acbfea4

Seriously...what is it like at an average day at work for some of you?  Have you ever wondered why your lack of critical thinking has led you to such a mediocre life?  

No if you have a mask on. Every airline is running their air cycle machines with the recirc fans on from the moment people get on until the last one gets off. That changes the air in the cabin every 2 minutes and pushes it through filters as well. Air doesn't generally move longitudinal down the aisle of the cabin. You're sharing air with the people in your row on your side of the aisle generally. At least on a 737.
That's the plane. Even if those were little flying tubes to immunity, there's still the airports.

Yeah. If you tell America, "Yeah, masks are a good idea, but please save the n95s and other heavy duty stuff for frontline workers, sonething as simple as a bandana is really helpful to control community spread," America goes on a fucking massive n95 run.
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lobo said:

No politics, and my sister has Down's Syndrome...but most of you all are mentally retarded:

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/texas-coronavirus-update-austin-schools-young-population/269-7005c068-7377-4c8f-a65a-0d256acbfea4

Seriously...what is it like at an average day at work for some of you?  Have you ever wondered why your lack of critical thinking has led you to such a mediocre life?  

You need to get a grip on the rails rather than leaping over them.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I didn’t even click the link and this might be my favorite post ever.

I for one am truly glad that we have a batch of very reliable Covid-19 tests from UAE.  We are truly blessed.  It's not Cloak Room though because we're all as retarded as we are fucked. 

This is not an attack or statement on Lewis or Masks. Rather, a statement on the double standards of those we have voted into office vs. the people who voted for them.
Edited by clapclapclap
No politics, just a generic request to all to practice what you preach
  • Hook 'Em 2

Her name must be Kitty Genovese, because almost no one in the store bothered to help her.

https://abc7ny.com/covid-news-woman-assaulted-in-nj-staples-in-dispute-over-mask/6344921/

Woman assaulted in New Jersey Staples in dispute over face mask

A 54-year-old woman who recently had a liver transplant was assaulted inside a New Jersey Staples store after asking the assailant to wear a mask, and the harrowing incident was caught on surveillance video.

It happened just before 3:30 p.m. Wednesday at the location on Hackensack Avenue in Hackensack.

Police say the victim was using the fax/copy machine when the when another woman approached to use a nearby machine with her own mask pulled below her mouth.

The victim told her to wear her mask, and the suspect became angry and started yelling.

She approached the victim, who raised her cain and pointed it directly at the suspect, coming within inches of her chest.

The suspect then grabbed the victim, violently threw her to the ground, and left the store.

The victim was transported to Hackensack University Medical Center with a broken leg.

No arrests have been made. (snip)

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away