Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

that reporter has been waiting 25 years to use the verb "buck" in his headline and he finally got it.  And now, sadly...he's going to die from Covid-19 in 2 weeks.  

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-08-02-20-intl/

The New Jersey State Police does not consider large indoor gatherings to be a "widespread problem," press officer Major Brian Polite told CNN.

"With that being said, any indoor home gathering must fall within the guidelines set forth in the executive order and any violations of such will result in enforcement," Polite said.

Some context: The police statement comes after Airbnb removed or suspended 35 listings across New Jersey in order to crack down on "party houses," according to a statement from Airbnb.

Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson told CNN the state will not shut down bars and restaurants despite the recent spike in cases.

When asked Sunday if the state's high number of new cases and deaths could have been prevented had there been restrictions imposed earlier, Hutchinson said the "economy and people cannot be shut down for that long." 

spacer.png

Family gatherings are a big driver in areas

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/family-gatherings-linked-to-covid-19-spikes-nationwide-numbers-show/

Earlier last month, in Charlotte, North Carolina, health officials say that a single family gathering was responsible for at least 40 cases of COVID-19, likely due to family members and guests who didn’t know they were already infected.

The County Public Health Director Jennifer McCracken said that family members then returned to their daily activities — before showing symptoms — and likely helped the disease spread locally.

The county’s website created an illustration to help explain how the family gathering contributed to further infections — which included a 67-year-old grandparent, an 85-year-old neighbor, and several coworkers.

spacer.png

Sturgis: 250,000 Lone Bikers of our Shared Apoclaypse

Sturgis is on. The message has been broadcast across social media as South Dakota, which has seen an uptick in coronavirus infections in recent weeks, braces to host hundreds of thousands of bikers for the 80th edition of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

More than 250,000 people are expected to rumble through western South Dakota, seeking the freedom of cruising the boundless landscapes in a state that has skipped lockdowns. The Aug. 7 to 16 event, which could be the biggest anywhere so far during the pandemic, will offer businesses that depend on the rally a chance to make up for losses caused by the coronavirus. But for many in Sturgis, a city of about 7,000, the brimming bars and bacchanalia will not be welcome during a pandemic.

In a survey of residents conducted by the city, more than 60% said the rally should be postponed. But businesses pressured the City Council to proceed.

Rallygoers have spent about $800 million in past years, according to the state Department of Tourism. Though the rally has an ignominious history of biker gangs and lawlessness, bikers of a different sort have shown up in recent years — affluent professionals who ride for recreation and come flush with cash. Though the rally still features libertine displays, it also offers charity events and tributes to the military and veterans.

The attorney for a tourism souvenir wholesaler in Rapid City wrote to the City Council reminding that a judge found the city does not solely own rights to the rally and threatening to sue if the city tried to postpone it. Meanwhile, the Buffalo Chip, which is the largest campground and concert venue that lies outside the bounds of the city, made clear that it would hold some version of the rally.

Rod Woodruff, who operates the Buffalo Chip, said he felt he had little choice but to proceed with the rally. He employs hundreds of people in August and a smaller full-time staff.

“We spend money for 355 days of the year without any return on it, hoping people show up for nine days,” he said. “We’re a nine-day business.”Woodruff felt he could pull off a safe event, allowing people to keep their distance from one another at the outdoor concerts at his campground. He said he was emboldened by the July 3 fireworks celebration at Mount Rushmore, where 7,500 people gathered without any reported outbreaks after the event, according to health officials.

In the end, Sturgis officials realized the rally would happen whether they wanted it or not. They decided to try to scale it back, canceling city-hosted events and slashing advertising for the rally.

Jerry Cole, who directs the rally for the city, said organizers are not sure how many people will show up, but that they’re expecting at least 250,000. Travel restrictions from Canada and other countries have cut out a sizeable portion of potential visitors, he said.

Others think it could be the biggest yet. 

“It’s the biggest single event that’s going on in the United States that didn’t get canceled,” Woodruff said. “A lot of people think it’s going to be bigger than ever.”

Gonna be tough to pinpoint how much transmitting at sturgis. Not many people who live in the area and whoever gets it will take it to whatever state they come from but that could be anywhere.

a lot of Americans enthusiasts showing up for their first road trip they can take all year, wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t one of the biggest

Gonna be tough to pinpoint how much transmitting at sturgis. Not many people who live in the area and whoever gets it will take it to whatever state they come from but that could be anywhere.

a lot of Americans enthusiasts showing up for their first road trip they can take all year, wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t one of the biggest

Could also be a blessing...fewer motorcycles on the road in 2-4 weeks.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

Well yeah, because we have more cases than those countries so of course we're gonna have more deaths because of all of our testing.  

Do you have to be a prissy little bitch with every post in this thread?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I lifted that content Word for Word from a rather well-known individual.  If it’s my tone, and not the content, that you draw issue with... Then I think that makes you the prissy little bitch in this scenario.  

It’s a thread about coronavirus, not your feelings.  Maybe I’m being a pretty little bitch on this thread, but you’re a damn woman through and through in all aspects of your life.  

why don’t you let the men discuss the pandemic with the other men?  Because your heroes sure as fuck aren’t doing anything about it.  Have a cranberry juice, a tampon, and sit the next couple plays out

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I lifted that content Word for Word from a rather well-known individual.  If it’s my tone, and not the content, that you draw issue with... Then I think that makes you the prissy little bitch in this scenario.  

It’s a thread about coronavirus, not your feelings.  Maybe I’m being a pretty little bitch on this thread, but you’re a damn woman through and through in all aspects of your life.  

why don’t you let the men discuss the pandemic with the other men?  Because your heroes sure as fuck aren’t doing anything about it.  Have a cranberry juice, a tampon, and sit the next couple plays out

Hero talk again. Who fucking thinks of a politician as a hero. Perhaps  that’s the problem with you CR folk. 

Otherwise good post. Keep up the good work. 

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

A simple yes would have sufficed 

You had me at 'Hello' 

Seriously though...it's a point of concern where "tone" is now more important to Texans than "data."  We are getting ready to cross the Rubicon, if we haven't already.

Edited by Lobo

Birx is out there saying we need to stop the parties and the "super spreader" events.  I'm sure she's talking about Sturgis, among other things.   She has angered people above her.

Sounds like another round of stimulus stuff may not even happen, at least not until September.  That's going to do wonders for the housing and stock markets.

We've got an NFL head coach with it.

Some school district in Georgia had over 250 teachers either test positive, or have direct exposure to somebody who tested positive.

And it's only Monday morning.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The talk about death rates decreasing due to a mutating virus or something has dissipated. As anticipated, deaths follow hospitalization rates surging, which also lagged because 20-somethings fueled the spike this summer.

Not to be a Nostradamus, but if the surge decreases then is accompanied by tens of millions of students meeting in-person, we’ll see another spike, followed by less deaths, but then followed by hospitalization surge, followed by OMG!, followed by a “3rd wave”, followed by schools shutting down again, followed by deaths peaking again.

8 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

The talk about death rates decreasing due to a mutating virus or something has dissipated. As anticipated, deaths follow hospitalization rates surging, which also lagged because 20-somethings fueled the spike this summer.

Not to be a Nostradamus, but if the surge decreases then is accompanied by tens of millions of students meeting in-person, we’ll see another spike, followed by less deaths, but then followed by hospitalization surge, followed by OMG!, followed by a “3rd wave”, followed by schools shutting down again, followed by deaths peaking again.

If only there was some way that we could centrally coordinate nation-wide public health policy to help dampen the cyclical nature of these outbreaks...

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

If only there was some way that we could centrally coordinate nation-wide public health policy to help dampen the cyclical nature of these outbreaks...

15 days ago it was announced we were two weeks away from signing into effect a nationwide public health coordination effort to do just that.  But again, there can be no reporting of facts on this thread. 

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Kids can't get the virus, didn't you hear? Sallgoodman

Missouri Governor Mike Parson, a Republican, downplayed the risk for children who may contract the coronavirus from classrooms during school reopenings, insisting “they’re going to get over it.” 

“These kids have got to get back to school,” Parson said in an interview Friday with radio host Marc Cox on KFTK. “They’re at the lowest risk possible. And if they do get COVID-19, which they will — and they will when they go to school — they’re not going to the hospitals. They’re not going to have to sit in doctor’s offices. They’re going to go home and they’re going to get over it.” 

“We gotta move on,” he continued. “We can’t just let this thing stop us in our tracks.”

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

State law for Minnesota requires it doesn’t start school until the day after Labor Day every year.. I’m glad others are guinea pigs well before we go

We have to officially make a decision tomorrow whether to send our two (6th and 9th grader) back either in person or online.  Lot of suck at play having to make that decision, but, thankfully, we all agreed that (1) it indeed sucks, and (2) both kids are going to go remote for the first six weeks while we see some proof of concept on our school district's part.  I hate that they are going into these transitional grade-years remotely, but relieved otherwise.

Edited by dcbc

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

New additions and recent updates:

•  Novavax announces promising results from preliminary studies. Aug. 4

•  Moderna and the N.I.H. enter Phase III. July 27

•  Pfizer begins Phase II/III trials. July 27

•  Arcturus and Duke-NUS Medical School enter Phase I/II. July 21

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/510317-poll-82-percent-of-voters-support-a-national-mask-mandate

A vast majority of voters support the idea of a national mask mandate, a new Hill-HarrisX poll finds.

Eighty-two percent of registered voters in the July 26-27 survey said they'd support a national mandate to wear facial coverings, including 61 percent who "strongly" back the idea and 21 percent who "somewhat" support it.

Only 18 percent of voters oppose a national mandate on masks.(snip)

• Hook 'Em 1

We took our kids to the San Diego Safari Park today, and I'd say 95% of the people there were wearing their facemasks, and wearing them correctly. But there were some assholes blatantly not wearing them, wearing them as chin straps, or covering only their mouths.

I was thinking now that the DHS, CBP and US Marshalls tactical teams are out of the protest control business, they can pivot and become facemask enforcement teams. Tag people with paintballs filled with bright red paint. Let the people feel a nice sting, and paint their clothes bright red. Kinda like a scarlet letter until they can get home and change.

Probably illegal to do, but I'd be okay with it if it was.

1 minute ago, clapclapclap said:

Glad that there's finally evidence that it's not just a big-city problem. It was pretty clear that rural towns weren't getting hit earlier in the year during the first "wave" because of the insular nature of small towns. One more talking point down for COVID hoaxers, hopefully we'll get a more cohesive national effort now that small town America is seeing that they aren't immune.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Glad that there's finally evidence that it's not just a big-city problem. It was pretty clear that rural towns weren't getting hit earlier in the year during the first "wave" because of the insular nature of small towns. One more talking point down for COVID hoaxers, hopefully we'll get a more cohesive national effort now that small town America is seeing that they aren't immune.

Hm, so increases in rural areas can't be because of protests. Or density.  Or public transportation.

They'll have to do better. 

5 hours ago, high side 3 way said:

spacer.png

Seems fascist, also this. 

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/new-york-city-to-implement-checkpoints-to-enforce-quarantine-rule

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Wednesday that he would implement checkpoints throughout the five boroughs to enforce the state travel advisory for people visiting from coronavirus hot spots.

"The checkpoints are going to send a very powerful message that this quarantine is serious. Even if we can't reach every single person, I think it'll get the message across," de Blasio said Wednesday.

And Andrew is asking for the rich to come back.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away