Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Americans still going to Mexico for sex, so we got that going for us?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/09/americas/mexico-tijuana-prostitution-coronavirus-intl/index.html

We Americans are so generous. Helping the world thru international business relations.  Gets a little dusty just thinking about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

So now that this "flu" is causing college football to be canceled, I wonder why?  I mean, those 18-22 year old football  players have nothing to fear from this virus, or so our experts in virology have assured us.  So why in the world would it be necessary to stop football games?  Color me further confused about this pandemic.

Aggy wants to shove 50,000 fans into Pyle Field this fall.  Many of those fans probably don't believe in masks to begin with.  Those 50,000 fans then travel home to Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Galveston, Corpus, and all points in between.

Explain to us how that isn't a massive outbreak waiting to happen, when we can't even stop outbreaks happening at beach areas along the coast where, in theory, between the heat and the available space, it shouldn't have been a problem, and where there wouldn't have even been anything close to 50,000 people in an area the size of a football stadium.

Aggy wants to shove 50,000 fans into Pyle Field this fall.  Many of those fans probably don't believe in masks to begin with.  Those 50,000 fans then travel home to Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Galveston, Corpus, and all points in between.
Explain to us how that isn't a massive outbreak waiting to happen, when we can't even stop outbreaks happening at beach areas along the coast where, in theory, between the heat and the available space, it shouldn't have been a problem, and where there wouldn't have even been anything close to 50,000 people in an area the size of a football stadium.

I’m just naive enough to believe that they’re saying that so they can collect donations and season ticket money in anticipation that they wont have to fully refund all of it. Surely, there’s no way they’ll allow 50,000 people as a mass gathering. They are aware of the plumes of covid from fecal matter flushed in public restrooms, correct?

I used to think that the claims of aggy insanity were just hyperbole from the longhorn crowd. Then I had to do work at TAMU and I can confirm that aggy is indeed fucking crazy and that they are consumed by envy of the richer, better university to the west of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

So now that this "flu" is causing college football to be canceled, I wonder why?  I mean, those 18-22 year old football  players have nothing to fear from this virus, or so our experts in virology have assured us.  So why in the world would it be necessary to stop football games?  Color me further confused about this pandemic.

The threat of lawsuits and the inability to force liability waivers probably has more to do with it. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

New additions and recent updates:

•  CanSino Biologics announces Phase III trials. Aug. 10

•  Italy’s ReiThera enters Phase I. Aug. 10

•  Taiwan-based Medigen enters Phase I. Aug. 6

•  India’s Zydus Cadila completes Phase I. Aug. 6

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder if all of these will continue if the first one gets approved and starts distribution. This seems like a first to market wins it all derby, unless manufacturing capacity just isn’t there. 
I assume if it’s government money they are spending, they will push on. 

First one that makes it to market AND is effective wins the derby. If a vaccine comes out and turns out to be bunk, I don't think they'll do well down the stretch.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

On the other hand, natural selection is a real bitch

Apparently Smash Mouth gave a full concert and was all "FUCK COVID WE'RE ALL HERE TOGETHER!"  

I didn't look at any crowd photos, but I assume the fans were sitting this close to one another.

spacer.png

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

I’m just naive enough to believe that they’re saying that so they can collect donations and season ticket money in anticipation that they wont have to fully refund all of it. Surely, there’s no way they’ll allow 50,000 people as a mass gathering. They are aware of the plumes of covid from fecal matter flushed in public restrooms, correct?

It's College Station.  It's aggy.  They are most likely pissed that they can only allow 50,000 in, but are probably worried that Abbott might say something if they went to 100% (he is a fucking tsip after all!)

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder if all of these will continue if the first one gets approved and starts distribution. This seems like a first to market wins it all derby, unless manufacturing capacity just isn’t there. 
I assume if it’s government money they are spending, they will push on. 

I read a whole article a while back about how there is a kind of "Arms Race" between certain companies. The article called it a type of economic warfare, where the first one to create and mass produce the vaccine will get a huge economic advantage. The article stated that the first one to mass produce will not only be the first one to bounce back and open back up their economy, but also can set and dictate the price internationally to countries not as far along or those not willing to throw more money at internal R&D when they can just buy it by the thousands. Since practically every country needs it, they can sort of pick and choose who they do business with from there and who opens up first, or even withhold it from certain countries for political reasons or gains, etc.

I personally don't think it's as dire as all that, but it was an interesting thought experiment.

Edited by MillerEP

You're applying logic and reason to decision and choices made by folks in College Station.
You should stop those attempts. It will end poorly.

Who am I kidding? The aggy leadership will respond to “plumes of aerosolized covid from flushing fecal matter” with a ban on #2’s and chilidogs after halftime.
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Imagine traveling all the way there and then voluntarily spending your time at a Smashmouth concert.  

"Hell yeah, look at all you bad ass mother fuckers out there in your leather jackets. Ya'll are the toughest, most manly testosterone-laden crowd of ass-kickers we've ever seen in one place. Women gush and lesser men tremble at the sight of all of you.

Now, here's 'All Star'!"

20 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

"Hell yeah, look at all you bad ass mother fuckers out there in your leather jackets. Ya'll are the toughest, most manly testosterone-laden crowd of ass-kickers we've ever seen in one place. Women gush and lesser men tremble at the sight of all of you.

Now, here's 'All Star'!"

All Star? Hey, that was that song from that animated movie with Mike Meyers and Eddie Murphy!

spacer.png

Haven't seen it posted here yet, but a new study was published on Friday on the efficacy of different face masks and materials for blocking COVID droplets

link

The notable finding is that fleece face coverings and the popular neck gator option were measured to actually create mordroplets than not wearing a mask at all - that is to say they are worse than wearing a mask. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 3.36.09 PM.png

On 8/8/2020 at 2:56 PM, GRHorn said:

This is semantics and just a cold numbers assessment, but 50-60,000 Americans die every week. So you’re looking at 3 weeks worth and I don’t believe those all count as excess deaths above the norm. It is a sad situation and I think we could’ve done better, but fortunately I think few would call those relative numbers apocalyptic. 

I’m sensing your emotional response is due to a personal experience with it. I’m sorry, if that’s the case. Just looking at it from a big picture view. 

You are absolutely the dumbest fucking poster on this site. Dumber than triple and his HCQ obsession. Are you actively trying to be wrong about this all of the time?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

You are absolutely the dumbest fucking poster on this site. Dumber than triple and his HCQ obsession. Are you actively trying to be wrong about this all of the time?

I have no comment on the merits of your post, but just wanted to remark that I laughed after I read it because your avatar is a penis eating another penis.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

His avatar is a pic of him allegedly going out to eat the shittiest looking meal I’ve ever seen. He constantly posts stupid inane crap. I seriously doubt he’s a real person. He’s a troll, and not a very good one at that.

Edited by JimmyJames

10 hours ago, XYZ said:

I used to think that the claims of aggy insanity were just hyperbole from the longhorn crowd. Then I had to do work at TAMU and I can confirm that aggy is indeed fucking crazy and that they are consumed by envy of the richer, better university to the west of them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I took a job at Aggy because I forgot that time spent on recon is never wasted. Weird, nasty place. Improved life the minute I left for Mexico (who have a real army.)

Austin ARC is looking for volunteers for covid-19 vaccine trial:

https://www.austinregionalclinic.com/news-and-events/article/news/arc-clinical-research-contributes-to-covid-19-vaccine-trial-news

ARC News & Events Archive

ARC Clinical Research contributes to COVID-19 Vaccine Trial

August 07, 2020

ARC will recruit 250 ARC patients from across Central Texas to enroll in this late phase clinical trial, intended to prove the safety and efficacy of the sponsor’s vaccine compound and potentially enable this sponsor to be the first to bring a vaccine to market. 

Dr. Gretchen Crook, Principal Investigator for ARC Clinical Research, noted “It is the top priority of the United States and the world to find a successful vaccine to prevent the infection and spread of COVID-19.  This vaccine candidate has the potential to save lives and allow us to return to a way of life that will restore our economy, re-connect our friendships, and continue activities we all enjoy.  ARC Clinical Research was selected as a partner in this study based on our long track record of conducting high quality trials and our speed in enrolling study participants.”

Be a part of history

“This study offers an opportunity to be a part of history and benefit humankind.  There are 7 billion people in our world who will need access to a vaccine to prevent COVID-19 infection, and ARC Clinical Research is thrilled to have a role in bringing a vaccine to Americans”, says Jeff Repper, Director of ARC Clinical Research.

Participants will be compensated for their time and contributions to the clinical study. All COVID-19 vaccine clinical trial services will be delivered at ARC Clinical Research Wilson Parke, located at 11714 Wilson Parke Ave., Suite 150 in Austin’s Four Points neighborhood. 

ARC Clinical Research is a division of Austin Regional Clinic, a physician-owned multispecialty medical group with 350 physicians and clinicians committed to providing comprehensive healthcare services throughout the greater Austin area. 

To start the enrollment process for the COVID-19 vaccine study, please go to ARCclinicalresearch.com and click the orange [Request to Participate] button or call 512-225-5931.

Strict Coronavirus safety measures for care and research trials

In response to COVID-19, ARC has implemented strict safety measures at all clinics and research facilities to ensure that our patients, staff, and physicians remain safe. 

Everyone is screened before entering our clinics, sick and well patients wait in separate spaces with symptomatic patients most often waiting in cars, exam rooms are cleaned and disinfected after each visit, and ARC remains fully stocked with personal protective equipment (PPE). ARC ensures a safe environment to care for all patients and conduct clinical trials. ARC currently participates in seven other research studies at four ARC Clinical Research facilities.

To date, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has reported almost 5 million COVID-19 cases and over 157,000 deaths in the US while the World Health Organization (WHO) reports more than 700,000 deaths worldwide due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Dr. Gretchen L. Crook, Principal Investigator - Background

Gretchen L. Crook, MD, joined Austin Regional Clinic in 2002. She joined ARC Clinical Research at the inception in 2017 and stepped into the Lead Physician role in 2019. Under Dr. Crook’s leadership, ARC has participated in over 35 clinical trials and is currently working on 23 studies for such health conditions as lipid management, inflammatory diseases, infectious disease prevention, uterine fibroids, and others. ARC also participates in pediatric studies, including studies in migraines, infant formula, and two meningococcal vaccine studies.

“This is one of many clinical trials currently being conducted by ARC to look at new ways to prevent, detect, or treat diseases that may benefit patients in Central Texas. We are particularly excited to be part of a vaccine trial can literally change the world.”

Dr. Crook, a Family Doctor for almost 20 years, earned her medical degree at the University of Florida College of Medicine before her residency at University of Florida Family Practice Residency Program.  In addition to Principal Investigator, Dr. Crook serves as a Same-Day Care doctor for ARC.  Dr. Crook is a member of the American Academy of Family Physicians and the Travis County Medical Society. She lives in Austin, TX with her family.

ARC Clinical Research Overview

ARC Clinical Research is a network of research clinics that works in partnership with sponsors, typically pharmaceutical, immunotherapy, or medical device companies, to execute clinical studies. In determining which studies to participate in, ARC focuses on those that will most benefit the Central Texas community and looks to participate in clinical research programs that look at new ways to prevent, detect, and treat diseases. The focus is on adult and pediatric clinical studies for preventive, diagnostic, and therapeutic purposes.  With four research offices in and around Austin, ARC Clinical Research offers clinical research opportunities to the Central Texas area.

For more information, visit ARCclinicalresearch.com.

Austin Regional Clinic Overview

Austin Regional Clinic is a multispecialty medical group committed to providing comprehensive healthcare services throughout the greater Austin area.  Founded by three physicians in 1980, it now provides health care to over 530,000 area residents in 28 locations in 12 Central Texas cities, with 19 specialties in primary and specialty care. ARC is unique to the Austin area because of its widespread locations, convenient services and quality assurance programs.

ARC patients enjoy access to such conveniences as:

• Same-Day and After Hours Appointments
  • 24/7 Phone Nurse and Phone & Online Scheduling
  • ARC MyChart: Online Access to Test Results and Care Team
  • On-site Lab Services
  • On-site or Nearby Radiology Services
  • Clinical Research Trials

For more information, visit AustinRegionalClinic.com.

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

GRHorn is cool with me even though he and I have quite different outlooks on a lot of things. I find him to be fair and intellectually honest most of the time. He'll drop a troll post here and there but who among us doesn't? The hot dog profile pic is a Surly icon IMO.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lobo said:

https://time.com/5878094/coronavirus-cases-children/

Kids can't really get it, nor transmit it.  

Also, the Spanish Influenza...the last global pandemic ended in 1917 according to Top Men.  Not 1920.  So we're actually ahead of schedule. 

Since “kids” means 0-14 in one state, 0-24 in another state, and in between for the rest, id like to see a breakdown of how many of these 380,000 cases are 15-24 (high school and older).  

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

But I was told New York did everything right....

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChuckRossDC/status/1293053016308940800

New York’s coronavirus death toll in nursing homes, already among the highest in the nation, could actually be a significant undercount. Unlike every other state with major outbreaks, New York only counts residents who died on nursing home property and not those who were transported to hospitals and died there.

19 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

New York’s coronavirus death toll in nursing homes, already among the highest in the nation, could actually be a significant undercount. Unlike every other state with major outbreaks, New York only counts residents who died on nursing home property and not those who were transported to hospitals and died there.

Riverdale Nursing Home in the Bronx appears, on paper, to have escaped the worst of the coronavirus pandemic, with an official state count of just four deaths in its 146-bed facility.

The truth, according to the home, is far worse: 21 dead, most transported to hospitals before they succumbed. 

“It was a cascading effect,” administrator Emil Fuzayov recalled. “One after the other.”

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

https://time.com/5878094/coronavirus-cases-children/

Kids can't really get it, nor transmit it.  

Also, the Spanish Influenza...the last global pandemic ended in 1917 according to Top Men.  Not 1920.  So we're actually ahead of schedule. 

Interesting that as the school year approaches there's suddenly a huge rise in cases in kids.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-russia-vaccine-put/russia-becomes-first-country-to-approve-a-covid-19-vaccine-says-putin-idUSKCN25712U

AUGUST 11, 2020 / 3:47 AM / UPDATED AN HOUR AGO

Russia becomes first country to approve a COVID-19 vaccine, says Putin

MOSCOW (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin said on Tuesday that Russia had become the first country in the world to grant regulatory approval to a COVID-19 vaccine after less than two months of human testing, a move hailed by Moscow as evidence of its scientific prowess.

The vaccine still has to complete final trials, raising concerns among some experts at the speed of its approval, but the Russian business conglomerate Sistema has said it expects to put it into mass production by the end of the year.

Russian health workers treating COVID-19 patients will be offered the chance of volunteering to be vaccinated in the coming weeks, a source told Reuters last month.

Regulatory approval paves the way for the mass inoculation of the Russian population and authorities hope it will allow the economy, which has been battered by fallout from the virus, to return to full capacity.

Kirill Dmitriev, head of Russia’s sovereign wealth fund, hailed the development as a historic “Sputnik moment”, comparable to the Soviet Union’s 1957 launch of Sputnik 1, the world’s first satellite.

The vaccine will be marketed under the name ‘Sputnik V’ on foreign markets, he said.

Dmitriev said Russia had already received foreign requests for 1 billion doses. International agreements had been secured to produce 500 million doses annually, with the vaccine also expected to be produced in Brazil.

He said clinical trials were expected to start soon in the United Arab Emirates and the Philippines.

But only about 10% of clinical trial are successful, and the speed at which Russia has moved, approving a vaccine before the final stages of trials to test safety and efficacy are over, has worried some scientists, who fear Moscow may be putting national prestige before safety.

Speaking at a government meeting on state television, Putin dismissed those concerns, saying the vaccine, developed by Moscow’s Gamaleya Institute, was safe and that it had even been administered to one of his daughters.

“I know that it works quite effectively, forms strong immunity, and I repeat, it has passed all the needed checks,” said Putin.

He said he hoped mass production would start soon.

PHASE III TRIAL

The vaccine’s approval by the health ministry comes before the start of a larger trial involving thousands of participants, commonly known as a Phase III trial.

Such trials, which require a certain rate of participants catching the virus to observe the vaccine’s effect, are normally considered essential precursors for a vaccine to receive regulatory approval.

The Moscow-based Association of Clinical Trials Organizations (ACTO), a trade body representing the world’s top drugmakers in Russia this week urged the health ministry to postpone approval until that final trial had been successfully completed.

In a letter to the ministry, it said there were high risks associated with registering a drug before that happened.

“It is during this phase that the main evidence of a vaccine’s efficacy is collected, as well as information on adverse reactions that could appear in certain groups of patients: people with weakened immunity, people with concomitant diseases and so forth,” it said.

Some international experts have also questioned the speed at which Russia approved its vaccine.

“Normally you need a large number of people to be tested before you approve a vaccine,” said Peter Kremsner from the University Hospital in Tuebingen, currently testing CureVac’s COVID-19 vaccine in clinical trials.

“In that respect, I think it’s reckless to do that (approve it) if lots of people haven’t already been tested.”

Duncan Matthews, a professor of intellectual property law at Queen Mary University of London, said news of a potential COVID-19 vaccine was to be welcomed, “but safety must be the priority”.

“The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Medicines Agency (EMA) have fast-track approval procedures for emergency humanitarian use and we need to see evidence that Russia is adopting an equally prudent approach,” Matthews said in an emailed comment.

More than 100 possible vaccines are being developed around the world to try to stop the COVID-19 pandemic. At least four are in final Phase III human trials, according to WHO data.

Additonal reporting by Maxim Rodionov, Polina Ivanova and Alexander Marrow in Moscow and by Caroline Copley in Berlin, Josephine Mason and Kate Kelland in London; Writing by Gabrielle Tétrault-Farber/Andrew Osborn; Editing by Giles Elgood

55 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

In other news, the Russian vaccine will be marketed under the name Krokodil-19.

Spoiler

zuALk9snoxENne95Pe99La-1200-80.jpg

P.S. Please use the paste special + plain text option when copying articles. TIA

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-attendees-lounge-231936151.html

On Sunday, Pinard said he visited a local bar but left after people there were participating in a "sneeze contest."

"It was to see who can sneeze the furthest out," he said. "People were laughing and applauding. I said what the heck, they think it's fake," Pinard said, referring to COVID-19.

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-attendees-lounge-231936151.html

On Sunday, Pinard said he visited a local bar but left after people there were participating in a "sneeze contest."

"It was to see who can sneeze the furthest out," he said. "People were laughing and applauding. I said what the heck, they think it's fake," Pinard said, referring to COVID-19.

200.gif

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away