Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, Hate said:

My “stylist” runs it out of her house and we both wear masks while she is cutting my hair.

I actually go to the shop, which has a current max capacity of 5 people (2 stylists, 2 customers, 1 receptionist - chairs on opposite sides of the shop).  Temp check at door,  you book with your card so they can just process payment/tip hands-free, wash hands when you get in  and again after shampoo, masks on at all times, stylist is masked up and gloved up as well.  I've been maybe 3 times since they re-opened. 

it just seems so normal now. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I actually go to the shop, which has a current max capacity of 5 people (2 stylists, 2 customers, 1 receptionist - chairs on opposite sides of the shop).  Temp check at door,  you book with your card so they can just process payment/tip hands-free, wash hands when you get in  and again after shampoo, masks on at all times, stylist is masked up and gloved up as well.  I've been maybe 3 times since they re-opened. 

it just seems so normal now. 

This.  I go to a very small shop, and counting customers, there hasn't been more than 4 people in the whole place.  All masked, sanitizing like crazy, plexiglass dividers between the stations.  I've had 3 haircuts now.  Although I've also started wearing my hair a bit longer, as my wife really likes it.  And if she likes it, I like it.

Also, I have a college classmate (she's brilliant, always has been, and is now a Dr. in the St. Louis area).  She's not political, pretty moderate and thoughtful, etc.  And she shared this letter to the local school board in St. Louis county, signed by 92 of the pediatricians in the area (so, a crapload of them).  Short version: they support a return to in-person schooling:

119186247_798801834218019_7123845088833772583_o.png?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=7UB6oV8NUJcAX8LeOPb&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=1b8b1361dc42036ce30f047685b460e8&oe=5F816AB2

119198752_798801900884679_411726497730866579_o.png?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=NdsoMSojOxwAX_cfKMf&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=6ae41817bb540aeebfbd1db39e8c9a83&oe=5F804B2A

On the topic of COVID, I haven't wavered from wanting us to follow the science.  And I freely acknowledge (and I would hope that most people do), when it comes to something truly novel, the science at the beginning is very challenging.  You get different data points that paint a picture that can change dramatically with the next data point.  As you get more data, the picture comes into better focus.

With respect to children and schooling, the picture is coming into better focus, particularly including the picture of what the alternative (remote schooling) looks like.  And the scientists and medical professionals charged with examining the options in light of balancing the risks seem to be coming down more and more in favor of a return to in-person schooling.  Of course, the data continues to develop.  And of course, we KNOW that a return to in-person schooling will lead to some children and teachers getting sick, and some will surely die.  But a goal of "nobody gets sick and nobody dies" has never governed our schooling -- we continue school even with the flu (although, if outbreaks reach a certain severity, we do occasionally suspend in-person school for a week or so), knowing that people will inevitably get sick, and some will die.  It's all about reasonable balance and expectations.

If we can return to in-person schooling, and suffer only a similar serious illness and mortality rate as a standard flu season -- and the data is pointing that direction -- then we should probably do so.

There is no perfect answer.  Even without COVID, if we have school in-person, people get sick and die.  The question is how many.  And while that sounds cold and harsh, we've ALREADY done that calculus, long ago, when we decided to hold school even knowing that the flu is a thing.  So, let's just simply try to follow the same calculus -- if we can achieve the same goal, then we should do so.  If we can't, then we need to hold off on in-person school.

Oh, and I definitely think that we've learned a lot about remote schooling, and it can be functional for certain people, for certain periods.  If there are children who are at particular high risk (immunocompromised, etc.), then one of the reasonable measures schools should take is continuing to allow remote schooling for those kids.  Work the problem, piece by piece.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

I've gone to a few restaurants that have set up outdoor seating with distancing. Indoor dining still prohibited.

My main question is how you fuckers getting hair cuts? My hair is basically shoulder length and I dont relish the idea of someone hovering right above my face for 20 minutes.

Wife and I are the same. We've been to eat maybe 4 times in the last couple of months, all outdoors. Nothing inside. 

Hair wise I'm just a 2 guard faded up to a 5, so I've just been doing a pure 5 guard all around. My wife has been doing my son's hair, which I won't comment on. But he's 2, so it doesn't make a shit.

Repped a bunch of posts on the last page because we all managed to go like 30 posts of good information exchange without politics or bullshit. Pissed off that Trey beat me to the eating out joke though.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I just realized this week we haven't been inside a restaurant since Paris the second week of March. Lots of takeout from local shops and I tip the same as indoor dining and they all seem to be surviving. It'll probably be a year or more between indoor dining trips. Sad.

3 hours ago, Foosters said:

I've gone to a few restaurants that have set up outdoor seating with distancing. Indoor dining still prohibited.

My main question is how you fuckers getting hair cuts? My hair is basically shoulder length and I dont relish the idea of someone hovering right above my face for 20 minutes.

Clippers are $30 on Amazon.  It's suprisingly easy.  Here's mine from last week.  Job well done.

942020cut.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  I go to a very small shop, and counting customers, there hasn't been more than 4 people in the whole place.  All masked, sanitizing like crazy, plexiglass dividers between the stations.  I've had 3 haircuts now.  Although I've also started wearing my hair a bit longer, as my wife really likes it.  And if she likes it, I like it.

Also, I have a college classmate (she's brilliant, always has been, and is now a Dr. in the St. Louis area).  She's not political, pretty moderate and thoughtful, etc.  And she shared this letter to the local school board in St. Louis county, signed by 92 of the pediatricians in the area (so, a crapload of them).  Short version: they support a return to in-person schooling:

119186247_798801834218019_7123845088833772583_o.png?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=7UB6oV8NUJcAX8LeOPb&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=1b8b1361dc42036ce30f047685b460e8&oe=5F816AB2

119198752_798801900884679_411726497730866579_o.png?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=NdsoMSojOxwAX_cfKMf&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=6ae41817bb540aeebfbd1db39e8c9a83&oe=5F804B2A

On the topic of COVID, I haven't wavered from wanting us to follow the science.  And I freely acknowledge (and I would hope that most people do), when it comes to something truly novel, the science at the beginning is very challenging.  You get different data points that paint a picture that can change dramatically with the next data point.  As you get more data, the picture comes into better focus.

With respect to children and schooling, the picture is coming into better focus, particularly including the picture of what the alternative (remote schooling) looks like.  And the scientists and medical professionals charged with examining the options in light of balancing the risks seem to be coming down more and more in favor of a return to in-person schooling.  Of course, the data continues to develop.  And of course, we KNOW that a return to in-person schooling will lead to some children and teachers getting sick, and some will surely die.  But a goal of "nobody gets sick and nobody dies" has never governed our schooling -- we continue school even with the flu (although, if outbreaks reach a certain severity, we do occasionally suspend in-person school for a week or so), knowing that people will inevitably get sick, and some will die.  It's all about reasonable balance and expectations.

If we can return to in-person schooling, and suffer only a similar serious illness and mortality rate as a standard flu season -- and the data is pointing that direction -- then we should probably do so.

There is no perfect answer.  Even without COVID, if we have school in-person, people get sick and die.  The question is how many.  And while that sounds cold and harsh, we've ALREADY done that calculus, long ago, when we decided to hold school even knowing that the flu is a thing.  So, let's just simply try to follow the same calculus -- if we can achieve the same goal, then we should do so.  If we can't, then we need to hold off on in-person school.

Oh, and I definitely think that we've learned a lot about remote schooling, and it can be functional for certain people, for certain periods.  If there are children who are at particular high risk (immunocompromised, etc.), then one of the reasonable measures schools should take is continuing to allow remote schooling for those kids.  Work the problem, piece by piece.

i'm just hoping that mine aren't drooling on themselves when they return to in-person school. key to happiness in life is low expectations.

48 hours post injection....

Injection site is feeling much better...first 24-36 it was bothersome BC powder took the edge off. About 12 to 18 hours felt kinda "blah" like I had taken a (God I hate saying this...cause I know half this board with there big gapping va jay jay's heads will explode) FLU shot, but that's gone now....I am back to my normal self.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Is this common knowledge or been discussed?

https://apple.news/AQ-zlBs_KQ4-EcSqzBwb71w

In the body-camera footage, the officer instructed the visitors to clear out while he ran one of the students’ IDs in the police system.

“I’ve never seen this before,” the officer said, waving the student over. “There’s an input on the computer that you tested positive for covid?”

Edited by Pato del Muerto

16 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

48 hours post injection....

Injection site is feeling much better...first 24-36 it was bothersome BC powder took the edge off. About 12 to 18 hours felt kinda "blah" like I had taken a (God I hate saying this...cause I know half this board with there big gapping va jay jay's heads will explode) FLU shot, but that's gone now....I am back to my normal self.

I usually feel like shit for 24 hours after getting my flu shot. Went thru it last weekend since it was a long weekend. 

Sounds like you didn't get the placebo. Any other symptoms? Enlarged head? Third nipple? 

I just realized this week we haven't been inside a restaurant since Paris the second week of March. Lots of takeout from local shops and I tip the same as indoor dining and they all seem to be surviving. It'll probably be a year or more between indoor dining trips. Sad.
The last restaurant my wife and I ate in at was the burger joint in great wolf lodge so you can take Paris and blow it out your ass

I've been eating on restaurant patios pretty much weekly since mid-May.  Haven't eaten inside one yet, though.

Tonight I'm headed out to a bar in Georgetown to listen to my friend's hair metal cover band play their first gig since February.  They were supposed to play at Fiesta Oyster Bake last spring, right when the coronas started shutting everything down.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wife gave me my last two but I’m going to a stylist probably next week or 2. There’s no traditional walk in waiting lobby. All are scheduled appointments and they call you when it’s your turn as you wait in your car. Obviously masks worn
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Tangent- a friend of ours that is new in town asked about getting his haircut for his wedding. Said he hasn’t had it cut by a stylist in forever, maybe ever. His family used a flowbee when he was younger, and he has long hair so he usually just trims it himself. But he wanted a styling for his wedding. Anyway. an actual flowbee user. 

Flo-bee for the new millenium

81wwtc-EdAL._SL1500_.jpg

Just now, Homercles said:

Well yeah?  Younger and healthier people require fewer hospitalizations...or did I read that breaking news wrong?

Fewer?  I haven't heard of ANY hospitalizations of college students across the country despite tens of thousands of positive tests.

We were also warned that these college students would transmit the virus to vulnerable populations and we'll see a spike in hospitalizations of other age groups...and that hasn't happened either.

Take the University of Wisconsin system, for instance, which just closed to in-person classes for 2 weeks because of high positivity among mass tested students.  And yet, hospitalizations across Wisconsin have plataeued (sp?) or decreased over the last couple weeks.

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/hosp-data.htm

Same thing in Alabama - last month alarm bells went off because of all these thousands positive tests in Tuscaloosa...which hasn't translated to increased hospitalizations at all for anyone.

Do those places have mask orders at the places where college kids and older folks might both be?  Grocery stores being the most likely?

The kids must be fairly contagious if they are so easily infecting each other. What is it that’s keeping it in that population?

sending the student body home at this time might be the worst thing. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

19 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Do those places have mask orders at the places where college kids and older folks might both be?  Grocery stores being the most likely?

The kids must be fairly contagious if they are so easily infecting each other. What is it that’s keeping it in that population?

sending the student body home at this time might be the worst thing. 

House parties, apartment parties, sharing beer bongs, sharing beer pong cups, doing shots out of each others' ass-cracks. 

You know, typical college shit.

The good news is they're not likely to do ass-crack-shots with Grammy and Grampy so it stays confined.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

We were also warned that these college students would transmit the virus to vulnerable populations and we'll see a spike in hospitalizations of other age groups...and that hasn't happened either.

Do you understand the purpose of a warning?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Same thing in Alabama - last month alarm bells went off because of all these thousands positive tests in Tuscaloosa...which hasn't translated to increased hospitalizations at all for anyone.

You are also not mentioning important facts like Tuscaloosa closing all bars and requiring all students to wear masks. 

To be honest, I don’t really understand why you’re complaining that authorities implemented measures to protect more vulnerable populations and they worked. You’re using data that was the result of the safety measures to argue that safety measures werent needed. It’s disingenuous. 

Are you also going to protest Beware of Shark signs at beaches if you aren’t attacked by a shark?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, utee94 said:

House parties, apartment parties, sharing beer bongs, sharing beer pong cups, doing shots out of each others' ass-cracks. 

You know, typical college shit.

The good news is they're not likely to do ass-crack-shots with Grammy and Grampy so it stays confined.

The thrust of the sentence was what is keeping them from giving it to older people at places where both might be at any given time. 

You go into a grocery store. How long do you spend all up in grandmas personal space.

Unless you are in a line for a long time everybody in most retail etc are always on the move as customers.

This shit spreads to grandma when you go over to her house for your little Cousin Joeys 4th birthday not when you blow by her on your way to buying a case of Natty Lite and a bag of Funyuns.

You are also not mentioning important facts like Tuscaloosa closing all bars and requiring all students to wear masks. 
To be honest, I don’t really understand why you’re complaining that authorities implemented measures to protect more vulnerable populations and they worked. You’re using data that was the result of the safety measures to argue that safety measures werent needed. It’s disingenuous. 
Are you also going to protest Beware of Shark signs at beaches if you aren’t attacked by a shark?

Is MBU suggesting that we don’t need the safety measures? I haven’t seen any post that says that. I’ve seen many post that indicate this virus isn’t quite working as it was thought it would. He’s already said he wears a mask and believes we should continue to do so. Why do posters here hate to hear what could be viewed as positive news?
  • Hook 'Em 3

You go into a grocery store. How long do you spend all up in grandmas personal space.

Unless you are in a line for a long time everybody in most retail etc are always on the move as customers.

This shit spreads to grandma when you go over to her house for your little Cousin Joeys 4th birthday not when you blow by her on your way to buying a case of Natty Lite and a bag of Funyuns.

Keep your fucking distance yo.

Found out that my SIL has been having my MIL pick up my niece and nephew from school every day as a convenience for SIL. MIL is extraordinarily high risk if she were to catch Covid. Like she would almost certainly die if she caught it. Pretty amazing. We as society and social circles and friends and family are all sort of learning how to set our own boundaries for ourselves and our households and learning how to negotiate social situations while respecting others' boundaries. And it's a process and there's some learning curve. But damn this pisses me off. Literally risking her mother's life so that she doesn't have to slightly inconvenience herself to pick her kids up from school.

14 hours ago, Hate said:

Is MBU suggesting that we don’t need the safety measures? I haven’t seen any post that says that. I’ve seen many post that indicate this virus isn’t quite working as it was thought it would. He’s already said he wears a mask and believes we should continue to do so. Why do posters here hate to hear what could be viewed as positive news?

He was intimating at ridicule in regards to warnings that have not come to fruition by using data that was the result of implementing extra safety measures. I love hearing good news. I cheerlead the good news all the time in this thread. I even continue to say that while more covid cases is not great because of spread factor to the vulnerable, we should really only raise concern at hospitalizations. That is irrelevant to the tone and intimation I was trying to address in this instance, the "we were told it's going to be a bad, but it's not, again", as not only is it disingenuous based on the information, but it engenders the notion that the warnings or safety measures were unnecessary. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Found out that my SIL has been having my MIL pick up my niece and nephew from school every day as a convenience for SIL. MIL is extraordinarily high risk if she were to catch Covid. Like she would almost certainly die if she caught it. Pretty amazing. We as society and social circles and friends and family are all sort of learning how to set our own boundaries for ourselves and our households and learning how to negotiate social situations while respecting others' boundaries. And it's a process and there's some learning curve. But damn this pisses me off. Literally risking her mother's life so that she doesn't have to slightly inconvenience herself to pick her kids up from school.

MIL has a say in it as well. If she was uncomfortable, she should say no. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Or two adults, given the information at hand, have decided that they are OK with the risks.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html#astrazeneca

New additions and recent updates:

•  AstraZeneca resumes vaccine trials in Britain. Sept. 12

•  The University of Hong Kong enters Phase 1. Sept. 9

•  AstraZeneca pauses its global vaccine trials to investigate an unexplained illness. Sept. 8

•  A vaccine by Sanofi moves to Phase 1. Aug. 31

image.png.57333321942a8cd9002bcd80d270f8bd.png

New additions and recent updates:

•  Convalescent plasma was approved for emergency use. Aug. 24

•  Added oleandrin, a compound produced by a toxic plant. Aug. 21

•  Added ivermectin, a drug typically used against parasitic worms that is being increasingly prescribed in Latin America. Aug. 10

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

College students who are at college don't tend to hang out with olds....film at 11

and "those olds" that fail to protect themselves from those "college students"......there is a spot waiting for them on  this site  https://www.findagrave.com/

but then I think this has been discussed over and over probably from at least page 2

See here's the thing, @Incredulity, life isn't as simple as "two consenting adults". There are lots of situations where a person can be taking advantage of another, despite them both being consenting adults.

For example, knowing your content, your ethics, and your general personality, there's a pretty good chance that you beat on your wife. Does that make the situation right? Of course not. "TWO CONSENTING ADULTS" doesn't fit in that situation. I realize that stupid people need to boil everything down to its most simplistic form, but life is more complicated than that. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

See here's the thing, @Incredulity, life isn't as simple as "two consenting adults". There are lots of situations where a person can be taking advantage of another, despite them both being consenting adults.

For example, knowing your content, your ethics, and your general personality, there's a pretty good chance that you beat on your wife. Does that make the situation right? Of course not. "TWO CONSENTING ADULTS" doesn't fit in that situation. I realize that stupid people need to boil everything down to its most simplistic form, but life is more complicated than that. 

take a fucking breath.

beat my wife?  WTF are you talking about?  What an asshole.

• Hook 'Em 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away