Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

By height?  

I know there are differences in reporting mechanisms all over the world, but that's a pretty bizarre difference.  Suddenly the U.S. has all this shit in common with Belgium and Peru?  

Honestly, I don't think anyone has a great answer, but when all this is done, I think our scientists will be able to compare the US to other Countries more accurately and determine why we are in the top 10 per 1,000. My gut is that we are a bunch of fat fuckers...

I agree.  But the other "fat fucker" nations are just so far behind us in terms of per capita deaths.  Same thing with age, we're an older country but nowhere near the top of the list in per capita population over 65.  And we've probably a tendency to overreport Covid-19 deaths for myriad reasons.  But the three of those just don't explain why we've lost so many on a per 1mm basis.  Peru isn't fat nor old, why are they are so off the charts as well when it comes to per/million deaths?  There's something else at play here.  Maybe the Pan Flute?  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

But the other "fat fucker" nations are just so far behind us in terms of per capita deaths.

Yeah, but I think our "fat" is different. Look at those big Samoan guys who could lift a truck and carry it to the beach. They are heavy, but in better shape than most of our teen age kids who've been throwing processed foods down their gullets while playing video games.

10 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Yeah, but I think our "fat" is different. Look at those big Samoan guys who could lift a truck and carry it to the beach. They are heavy, but in better shape than most of our teen age kids who've been throwing processed foods down their gullets while playing video games.

In regards to Covid, Spam is to Pacific Islander as Vodka is to Russian.

10 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Fucking Zamfir. I knew it was him all along.

You know, this is all just sick jokes...but I just realized he's Romanian, plays the Peruvian Pan Flute, and made his artistic and monetary mark in the United States and the United Kingdom.  4 of the 10 worst nations, BY FAR, for per capita Covid-19 deaths are Romania, Peru, the UK, and the United States.  

Zamfir being somehow behind all this makes a fuckton more sense than 5G Towers.  I bet there's a way we can make a shitload of money off of this conspiracy theory.

On 9/23/2020 at 2:25 PM, elfenix said:

virus is mutating, but we're not sure of the significance, if any, of that, i guess:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/09/23/houston-coronavirus-mutations/?arc404=true

The NY Post's interpretation:

COVID-19 mutation may be evolving to bypass mask-wearing, hand-washing

...Scientists in a paper published Wednesday identified a new strain of the virus, which accounted for 99.9 percent of cases during the second wave in the Houston, Texas, area, the Washington Post reported.

The paper, which has not been peer-reviewed, said people with the strain, known as the D614G mutation, had higher loads of virus — suggesting it is more contagious...

...David Morens, a virologist at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said the findings suggest that the virus may become more contagious and that this “may have implications for our ability to control it.”

He said it’s possible that the virus had evolved to resist efforts such as hand-washing and social distancing.

“Wearing masks, washing our hands, all those things are barriers to transmissibility, or contagion, but as the virus becomes more contagious, it statistically is better at getting around those barriers,” Morens told the newspaper....

Head of the FDA states that vaccines will finish their trials and won't cut corners.    So I guess no kids being born with flippers for hands.

"We do feel the urgency of the moment. We do take very much.... very seriously our responsibility to protect American lives," Hahn said. "We will not delay, but we will not cut corners in our process."
On Thursday, Hahn vowed that it would be scientists who determine a vaccine's fate.
"Our experts, who know about vaccines, will make this determination, and it'll be only based upon the science and the data, not politics. That's my pledge," Hahn said in the radio interview.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

You know, this is all just sick jokes...but I just realized he's Romanian, plays the Peruvian Pan Flute, and made his artistic and monetary mark in the United States and the United Kingdom.  4 of the 10 worst nations, BY FAR, for per capita Covid-19 deaths are Romania, Peru, the UK, and the United States.  

Zamfir being somehow behind all this makes a fuckton more sense than 5G Towers.  I bet there's a way we can make a shitload of money off of this conspiracy theory.

giphy.gif

Aggy vaccine facility got a tour by Dr. Birx (Fujifilm has a facility in C/S apparently) - part of the government giving aggy $265 million to manufacturer vaccines when they are available.

https://www.weareiowa.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-update-coronavirus-health-regulations-johnson-and-johnson-deborah-birx/524-e1b5e31f-4aaa-4838-8771-ac17b72ba98e

"After we walked through the vaccine development manufacturing facility out there, [Birx] commented, 'I had no idea this existed out here'," said Texas A&M Health Science Center COO Greg Hartman. "It was really good for her to see that."

I wouldn't be bragging that one of the top covid task force members had no clue you had that facility, which is supposed to be one of three in the US at universities - that means you aren't on anybody's radar, or people weren't impressed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

He said it’s possible that the virus had evolved to resist efforts such as hand-washing and social distancing.

“Wearing masks, washing our hands, all those things are barriers to transmissibility, or contagion, but as the virus becomes more contagious, it statistically is better at getting around those barriers,” Morons told the newspaper....

fify

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/23/2020 at 2:25 PM, elfenix said:

virus is mutating, but we're not sure of the significance, if any, of that, i guess:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/09/23/houston-coronavirus-mutations/?arc404=true

Totally anecdotal but I recently had dinner with a guy who runs a few for profit and indigent hospitals in India and he told me the following

Indian govt concentrates the covid patients in designated hospitals. The indigent hospitals pretty much became that by default and the govt orders some of the  private hospitals to transition to covid only as need arises. A couple of his have been designated. He said rate of new cases is not going down but patients aren’t getting as sick and fewer are dying. I asked him if he thinks they are getting better at treating it and he said he thinks a less virulent strain (or strains) is becoming predominant  over there

...Scientists in a paper published Wednesday identified a new strain of the virus, which accounted for 99.9 percent of cases during the second wave in the Houston, Texas, area, the Washington Post reported.

The paper, which has not been peer-reviewed, said people with the strain, known as the D614G mutation, had higher loads of virus — suggesting it is more contagious...

...David Morens, a virologist at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said the findings suggest that the virus may become more contagious and that this “may have implications for our ability to control it.”

“Wearing masks, washing our hands, all those things are barriers to transmissibility, or contagion, but as the virus becomes more contagious, it statistically is better at getting around those barriers,” Morens told the newspaper....

Terrible headline by a terrible political rag.

They aren't finding that it is "evolving to bypass mask wearing".

They're just saying that it's evolving to be more contagious which means the risk is higher of catching it no matter what. So the original strain maybe you have a 2% chance of catching it at HEB, masks reduce it to 1%. The new strain, per their hypotheses, maybe is 4% without and 2% with. So yeah, the virus is "better at getting around the barrier" but you're still 50% less vulnerable with the mask.

I assume the usual suspects will be here any minute to lament this horribly slanted misleading hit piece because their disdain for the media has nothing to do with politics. They just care about intellectual honesty.

@Message Board User @dcar00

I can only assume this outrages you.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Terrible headline by a terrible political rag.

They aren't finding that it is "evolving to bypass mask wearing".

They're just saying that it's evolving to be more contagious which means the risk is higher of catching it no matter what. So the original strain maybe you have a 2% chance of catching it at HEB, masks reduce it to 1%. The new strain, per their hypotheses, maybe is 4% without and 2% with. So yeah, the virus is "better at getting around the barrier" but you're still 50% less vulnerable with the mask.

I assume the usual suspects will be here any minute to lament this horribly slanted misleading hit piece because their disdain for the media has nothing to do with politics. They just care about intellectual honesty.

@Message Board User @dcar00

I can only assume this outrages you.

The only thing that outrages most people in this forum is any change to the status quo.

16 hours ago, elfenix said:

why would you not go back for the second shot?

I'm trying to find the site, but the estimate I read is that between a quarter and a third will not.  Combination of things like "wasn't listening," language barrier, "first shot made me feel like shit," "my friend told me I was going to get cancer," pure laziness, got busy, etc.

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Aggy vaccine facility got a tour by Dr. Birx (Fujifilm has a facility in C/S apparently) - part of the government giving aggy $265 million to manufacturer vaccines when they are available.

https://www.weareiowa.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-update-coronavirus-health-regulations-johnson-and-johnson-deborah-birx/524-e1b5e31f-4aaa-4838-8771-ac17b72ba98e

I wouldn't be bragging that one of the top covid task force members had no clue you had that facility, which is supposed to be one of three in the US at universities - that means you aren't on anybody's radar, or people weren't impressed.

That's because they're using the money to pay off stadium debt and she was taken to tour a plant where they hire aggy to build small electronics for $8/hr.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I'm trying to find the site, but the estimate I read is that between a quarter and a third will not.  Combination of things like "wasn't listening," language barrier, "first shot made me feel like shit," "my friend told me I was going to get cancer," pure laziness, got busy, etc.

I blame Apple. Everyone has become a squirrel. 

34 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I blame Apple. Everyone has become a squirrel. 

Given the nature of the internet, I found a similar article on the HPV vaccine - 60% of girls take the first shot, but only 40% take the second (1/3 drop).  Primary reason is that the doctor didn't call them up and cajole them into coming and getting the second shot.  Parents found it amazing that they were supposed to keep up with that themselves.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4964719/

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Given the nature of the internet, I found a similar article on the HPV vaccine - 60% of girls take the first shot, but only 40% take the second (1/3 drop).  Primary reason is that the doctor didn't call them up and cajole them into coming and getting the second shot.  Parents found it amazing that they were supposed to keep up with that themselves.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4964719/

We're screwed. Glad my house is paid off. 

1234.   Drafts get nowhere near the live servers in a situation like this, because nobody is sitting there typing it up on the site like it’s some kind of fucking blog for a little store or doctors office or something.  Only the approved final copy is transferred to a live server in a major organization.   
Somebody types it up somewhere else, it gets passed around, revised, signed off on, then copied to the main server.   

I work with a lot of major organizations (though I haven’t worked in government in a long time), and you might be surprised how rudimentary a lot of their processes are. Huge Fortune 500 and G2K companies managing their business in email and spreadsheets and Sharepoint.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I work with a lot of major organizations (though I haven’t worked in government in a long time), and you might be surprised how rudimentary a lot of their processes are. Huge Fortune 500 and G2K companies managing their business in email and spreadsheets and Sharepoint.

*ball bearings. It's all ball bearings these days.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

We use college-ruled paper, fine point pens, mechanical pencils, liquid paper, locked filing cabinets, all the modern stuff.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

image.png.a71d7c2fdbe54c5fdbb68f5384a0e0c2.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Slide rulers is the next thing I keep hearing about. And Courier Pigeons for inter-office communications. 

We use this tube thing for IOCs.  We put the message in a little round box, and it gets sucked up a tube.  It's great but we have had an injury caused by Phil's inappropriate after-hours usage of the system. So health insurance went up a bit.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

We use this tube thing for IOCs.  We put the message in a little round box, and it gets sucked up a tube.  It's great but we have had an injury caused by Phil's inappropriate after-hours usage of the system. So health insurance went up a bit.

Dammit Phil, always fucking things up for the rest of us. Well just wait until you get your hands on one of these new combustion engines. I tell ya..... 

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

This is so true it hurts 

• Like 1

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – A North Texas children’s hospital said Thursday it has seen an “alarming” rise in suicide patients, especially in August, as school districts continued to debate over the return to in-person learning.

Doctors at Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth said they admitted juvenile suicide patients at a rate of almost one per day in August.

The hospital admitted 29 children last month after they attempted suicide. For the year, the hospital said it has seen 192 of these patients, which is more than double the number they admitted during the same period five years ago.

“We see kids every day, telling us they’re struggling. They wish they can go back to their normal lives,” said Dr. Kia Carter, medical director of psychiatry at Cook Children’s.

Carter said the delayed return to school — and return to normal life — is leaving some children with a sense of hopelessness.

On 9/24/2020 at 6:56 PM, clapclapclap said:

This is to be expected, but I also bet that as it evolves to become more contagious, it also evolves to become less lethal.

Evolution, how does it work?

Some college numbers, perusing the various college dashboards -

UT - Less than 1% positivity over the last 2 weeks:

https://coronavirus.utexas.edu/ut-austin-covid-19-dashboard

Ohio State - Less than 2% over the last few days, 

https://safeandhealthy.osu.edu/dashboard

Boston U - positivity rate of LESS THAN 0.1% since July 27 - 

https://www.bu.edu/healthway/community-dashboard/

Arkansas - figures they would be doing the worst at about 10%...typical Arkansas - 

https://health.uark.edu/coronavirus/covid-dashboard.php

Emory - About 0.25%...with info as to how each positive is being traced or cared for-

https://www.emory.edu/forward/dashboard/index.html

Georgia - now less than 5% after a spike in August and early this month - 

https://www.uhs.uga.edu/healthtopics/covid-19-health-and-exposure-updates

Alabama - numbers way down

https://uasystem.edu/covid-19-dashboard/

Baylor - about 2%

https://www.baylor.edu/coronavirus/index.php?id=972342

Michigan - less than 1%

https://campusblueprint.umich.edu/dashboard/

Notre Dame - 1%

https://here.nd.edu/our-approach/dashboard/

Michigan State - about 10% since July

https://msu.edu/together-we-will/testing-reporting/

LSU - less than 1%

https://lsu.edu/roadmap/covid-dashboard/index.php

ousucks - between 5-10%

https://www.ou.edu/together/dashboard

Ok State - about 10%

https://go.okstate.edu/coronavirus/statistics.html

22 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I still dont know anyone personally who has tested positive. I'd like to credit that to having a social and family circle of competent people following the guidelines.

That’s lucky.  You should hop on an airplane and head to Vegas.

The people we know that died from it, were only family friends and not actual family members, and they were older, but otherwise healthy for the most part,  but several family members around my age (cousins) and their kids got it (and two senior citizens, but their survived after hospitalization) and the ones around my age that went in the hospital......I’m more interested in working on dropping the last 10-15 pounds that I need to drop, and eating healthier and getting check ups more often.  Especially since my kids are starting back to school.

13 hours ago, scottsins said:

Do Pacific Islanders typically have higher levels of Vitamin D than us, due to more outdoor activities, etc.?

I honestly don’t know. Just spitballing.

I don't know the answer but I'd like to know more about the Vitamin D role in this. I can't follow all this stuff. 

I wanted to ask @Newdoc about it a thousand pages back or so, but didn't get around to it. He mentioned he was really disappointed in some tests that came out regarding Vitamin D and Covid. I believe. Don't mean to put words in his mouth.

I ask because my doctor before all this, put me on an OTC Vitamin D a while back because mine was "a little low", but then of course I read all about it and get the other opinions on it that says it doesn't do much in supplement form. I just keep taking it. 

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – A North Texas children’s hospital said Thursday it has seen an “alarming” rise in suicide patients, especially in August, as school districts continued to debate over the return to in-person learning.

Doctors at Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth said they admitted juvenile suicide patients at a rate of almost one per day in August.

The hospital admitted 29 children last month after they attempted suicide. For the year, the hospital said it has seen 192 of these patients, which is more than double the number they admitted during the same period five years ago.

“We see kids every day, telling us they’re struggling. They wish they can go back to their normal lives,” said Dr. Kia Carter, medical director of psychiatry at Cook Children’s.

Carter said the delayed return to school — and return to normal life — is leaving some children with a sense of hopelessness.

This is an awfully misleading slanted article for someone whose entire purpose on this board is to rail on misleading slanted articles. If I didn't know any better, I'd think that you're only against shock/slanted articles when they don't help you score political or agenda points. But that would be intellectually dishonest and I don't want to assume that you are that.

• Like 2

Is there a mask out there that doesn’t slide down your face when you talk? If so I would like to give the manufacturer some of my money.

I roll with a gaiter. I have a thicker one than the microfiber ones you see because those are not great at stopping particles. It works well, and if you're running a bunch of errands you just pull it down and up as needed instead of having to take it off. And it doesn't slide like you're talking about.

6 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I roll with a gaiter. I have a thicker one than the microfiber ones you see because those are not great at stopping particles. It works well, and if you're running a bunch of errands you just pull it down and up as needed instead of having to take it off. And it doesn't slide like you're talking about.

The last I read the gaiters were not recommended due to the lack of protection you mentioned. Is there new info on that?

• Like 1

The last I read the gaiters were not recommended due to the lack of protection you mentioned. Is there new info on that?

Not that I know of. I had a microfiber one for a bit and when I didn't shave for a couple days I could feel facial hair on the outside of it which definitely backs up the studies showing that they don't work. The ones I bought are much thicker, almost winter wear type. Not sure how to describe, I'll go look at the tag next time I go through the house for more beer. You also get a pretty good seal.

Full disclosure they get a little hot if you're outside. But I'm usually going from truck to indoors over and over doing errands so it's not bad.

1 hour ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I don't know the answer but I'd like to know more about the Vitamin D role in this. I can't follow all this stuff. 

I wanted to ask @Newdoc about it a thousand pages back or so, but didn't get around to it. He mentioned he was really disappointed in some tests that came out regarding Vitamin D and Covid. I believe. Don't mean to put words in his mouth.

I ask because my doctor before all this, put me on an OTC Vitamin D a while back because mine was "a little low", but then of course I read all about it and get the other opinions on it that says it doesn't do much in supplement form. I just keep taking it. 

Actually, there has been encouraging data that Vitamin D supplementation benefits people with Covid. You need to have your levels up to at least 30 ng/ml for the best benefit. Levels above 30 do not seem to confer better protection. It seems to be a threshold. However, mortality seems to follow an inverse curve. The lower the level, the higher the mortality.

It’s hard to get insurance to pay for Vitamin D levels. I would talk to your doctor about it if you are at high risk for Covid complications. If you are young and healthy with a low Vitamin D you still aren’t in dire straits.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away