Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Lots of diabetics, olds, and people who could stand to be in better shape in the area.

Was getting my flu shot at the Allandale HEB yesterday.   It’s very busy.   There was an old guy with a walker walking around the pharmacy.   He looked to be in bad shape in multiple ways.  He kept his mask pulled below his chin unless an employee was around.   The lady working the pharmacy noticed it, and mentioned that she would give him a face shield for free if a mask was a problem, and he told her that if he made it this far, he’s fine.   I’m just impressed that whatever nursing home he escaped from hadn’t found him.

An asshole would have faked a coughing fit and mentioned that we wear them to keep others from getting sick, but I was not an asshole that day.  

I desperately need things to open back up, and I better not hear shit from the anti-masker types if everything closes back down.

Things are pretty much opened up if you get out of the big metro areas. There isnt anything I can think of that I cant do now that I was able to before other than large concerts. big sporting events, and dining in at Raising Canes. Movie theaters, high school football, sports bars, water park, watching cover bands all available. Drive 10 minutes to Arkansas and regular bars are open.

12 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Hays County is pretty much wide open and the numbers are interesting. We have almost 3x the number of cases that Travis has and still trending upwards. Yay? 

Bars are packed. River is packed. Fuck yeah! 

Hays has 1,456 and 9 hospitalizations. 

If bars and businesses are wide open and there are only 9 people hospitalized, that a pretty strong validation that opening up was the right thing to do.

11 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

If bars and businesses are wide open and there are only 9 people hospitalized, that a pretty strong validation that opening up was the right thing to do.

give it 2 weeks.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

As Brad stated, we don't hospitalize here. Shit, I think we only have 9 beds. 

On 9/28/2020 at 8:11 AM, Hpara759 said:

headed back for round #2 this afternoon.....wish me luck!

update:

was injected at 16:00 Monday, fell asleep early Monday evening awoke at 04:00 to relieve myself and nearly fell due to dizziness and general body weakness (first hint of things to come). Awoke at 07:30 to chills and weakness (at least dizziness was gone) generally felt like poop, took BC powder with some relief.  09:30 body aches, chills back with increased vengeance add nausea to symptoms. temp (low grade) 99.1, took a Zofran ODT for the nausea it helped. Once my nausea left I decided I needed to get up and move around, went outside and walked around the block (did not help) generally felt like poop. At 14:00 decided to try and eat some soup, took more BC powder body aches, chills, sweat, weakness, just stayed in recliner and snoozed. 17:00 body aches weakness and chill (back with increased severity) temp now 101.0 beginning to become concerned. 17:30 took 1 gram Tylenol and went to bed....woke up at 21:00 laying in a pool of sweat, no fever no body aches no weakness. This morning from 06:00 to 08:00 cold sweats but otherwise felt fine. Since 08:00 have felt completely back to normal. 

will go back in 4 weeks for blood draw ( I assume for antibody test). The Doc told me that the vaccine is looking very very promising and that he was very excited about it. 

• Hook 'Em 9

6 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

update:

was injected at 16:00 Monday, fell asleep early Monday evening awoke at 04:00 to relieve myself and nearly fell due to dizziness and general body weakness (first hint of things to come). Awoke at 07:30 to chills and weakness (at least dizziness was gone) generally felt like poop, took BC powder with some relief.  09:30 body aches, chills back with increased vengeance add nausea to symptoms. temp (low grade) 99.1, took a Zofran ODT for the nausea it helped. Once my nausea left I decided I needed to get up and move around, went outside and walked around the block (did not help) generally felt like poop. At 14:00 decided to try and eat some soup, took more BC powder body aches, chills, sweat, weakness, just stayed in recliner and snoozed. 17:00 body aches weakness and chill (back with increased severity) temp now 101.0 beginning to become concerned. 17:30 took 1 gram Tylenol and went to bed....woke up at 21:00 laying in a pool of sweat, no fever no body aches no weakness. This morning from 06:00 to 08:00 cold sweats but otherwise felt fine. Since 08:00 have felt completely back to normal. 

will go back in 4 weeks for blood draw ( I assume for antibody test). The Doc told me that the vaccine is looking very very promising and that he was very excited about it. 

Yeah, that's not good.  If generally feeling like shit for 1-2 days  is the norm, when word spreads, I can't fathom you will have a majority of the population ready to sign up.  Is everyone getting the same dosage at this point?

39 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, that's not good.  If generally feeling like shit for 1-2 days  is the norm, when word spreads, I can't fathom you will have a majority of the population ready to sign up.  Is everyone getting the same dosage at this point?

It really brings up the risk/reward question for an otherwise healthy person.

Especially, as I understand it this is his second(?) dose with associated after effects.  I could see many people starting the first dose and then not taking further doses because of side effects.

On a surly housekeeping note, not only is this thread closing in on 50,000 replies (49,775) it's also closing in on the 'Texas recruiting notes 2019' thread (50,594) for the most replied thread on Surly. A few extra positive cases or some dumb politician comment and poof, this will be #1.  

24 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

On a surly housekeeping note, not only is this thread closing in on 50,000 replies (49,775) it's also closing in on the 'Texas recruiting notes 2019' thread (50,594) for the most replied thread on Surly. A few extra positive cases or some dumb politician comment and poof, this will be #1.  

We'll probably break that mark.....in less than two weeks.

On 9/29/2020 at 12:07 PM, dcar00 said:

Spain France and Italy are interesting to look at

Spain and France are seeing massive new spikes and Italy has a bump but no real spike.  seemingly no spike in deaths for any of them though.

Germany is similar to Italy as far as the shape of the curve but much lower case and death numbers

I think some of it is better knowledge of how to deal with it, lots of at risk folks have died off (which sucks), and the virus may be mutating to a less virulent strain.  Any or all of these factors could be accurate........... or not.

The Spanish government has ordered a lockdown in the capital Madrid and surrounding areas badly affected by coronavirus after a rise in cases. 
Under the new restrictions, residents will not be allowed to leave the area unless they have to make an essential journey. 
However, Madrid's regional government says the lockdown is not legally valid. 
Greater Madrid accounts for more than a third of the 133,604 cases diagnosed in Spain over the past two weeks. 
On Wednesday, a majority of Spain's regional governments, who are in charge of healthcare, voted in favour of imposing restrictions in areas with more than 100,000 residents if they met three benchmarks - 500 cases per 100,000 inhabitants, 35% Covid patient occupancy in intensive care units and positive results in 10% of tests. 
Madrid, which has a rate of 780 infections per 100,000, already meets the criteria. However, it is not yet clear when the restrictions will be introduced.

23 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:
The Spanish government has ordered a lockdown in the capital Madrid and surrounding areas badly affected by coronavirus after a rise in cases. 
Under the new restrictions, residents will not be allowed to leave the area unless they have to make an essential journey. 
However, Madrid's regional government says the lockdown is not legally valid. 
Greater Madrid accounts for more than a third of the 133,604 cases diagnosed in Spain over the past two weeks. 
On Wednesday, a majority of Spain's regional governments, who are in charge of healthcare, voted in favour of imposing restrictions in areas with more than 100,000 residents if they met three benchmarks - 500 cases per 100,000 inhabitants, 35% Covid patient occupancy in intensive care units and positive results in 10% of tests. 
Madrid, which has a rate of 780 infections per 100,000, already meets the criteria. However, it is not yet clear when the restrictions will be introduced.

are these people not using masks?

technically 9 months into this thing, I am really impressed with how things are going in the most advanced nation in the history of the planet.  

The Spanish government has ordered a lockdown in the capital Madrid and surrounding areas badly affected by coronavirus after a rise in cases.  Under the new restrictions, residents will not be allowed to leave the area unless they have to make an essential journey.  However, Madrid's regional government says the lockdown is not legally valid.  Greater Madrid accounts for more than a third of the 133,604 cases diagnosed in Spain over the past two weeks.  On Wednesday, a majority of Spain's regional governments, who are in charge of healthcare, voted in favour of imposing restrictions in areas with more than 100,000 residents if they met three benchmarks - 500 cases per 100,000 inhabitants, 35% Covid patient occupancy in intensive care units and positive results in 10% of tests.  Madrid, which has a rate of 780 infections per 100,000, already meets the criteria. However, it is not yet clear when the restrictions will be introduced.   https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54364015

Oof. Would a second lockdown would cripple Spain?

The virus will just come back, whether it’s now or in December. Every European country has the same graph besides Sweden and Germany
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Oof. Would a second lockdown would cripple Spain?

The virus will just come back, whether it’s now or in December. Every European country has the same graph besides Sweden and Germany

the swedes and the krauts are "pretty good facemask guys"(Mike Leach)

I think it's a southern thing that I had never heard of.  But one year after I'd moved to Florida, we working the concession booth at Daytona and I musta sold 500 packets of that Goody's Headache Powder.  I honestly started thinking it had to be some sort of legal type of coke because people were buying 2 or 3 packets at a time during the whole race.  We sold beer and hot dogs too but damn that stuff is popular with NASCAR fans.  

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I think it's a southern thing that I had never heard of.  But one year after I'd moved to Florida, we working the concession booth at Daytona and I musta sold 500 packets of that Goody's Headache Powder.  I honestly started thinking it had to be some sort of legal type of coke because people were buying 2 or 3 packets at a time during the whole race.  We sold beer and hot dogs too but damn that stuff is popular with NASCAR fans.  

if the king sells it, it sells.  STP still has petty sponsor them.

• Like 1

Good idea.  By lap #37/beer #9...we'd be snorting the shit off of a fitlump photograph whilst exchanging conspiracy theories on where the Covid-19 virus came from.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Good idea.  By lap #37/beer #9...we'd be snorting the shit off of a fitlump photograph whilst exchanging conspiracy theories on where the Covid-19 virus came from.  

Dude....you're in the DT board right now.   The bolded has already been fully covered 'round here.

• Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away