Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

This fucking guy should have to reimburse 100% of everyone's travel costs/hotel bills etc. Total horseshit. As a frequent traveler, fuck this guy in the goat ass.

He would have to pay my assault and court fees after I beat his ass into the ground.  

SIAP

Wenjun Wang is a resident of Wuhan, the Chinese city at the epicentre of the deadly coronavirus outbreak.

Ms Wang, a 33-year-old housewife, and her family have remained in the city since it was sealed off on 23 January.

Since then, the virus has infected more than 20,000 people worldwide, leading to at least 427 deaths.

In a rare interview from inside Wuhan, Ms Wang has told the BBC about her family's heart-breaking struggle for survival.

Short presentational grey line

Since the outbreak of the coronavirus, my uncle has already passed away, my father is critically ill and my mum and aunt have started showing some symptoms.

The CT scans shows their lungs are infected. My brother is coughing too, and has some breathing difficulties.

My dad has a high fever. His temperature was 39.3C (102F) yesterday and he's constantly coughing and having breathing difficulties. We got him an oxygen machine at home and he relies on that machine twenty-four seven.

He's taking both Chinese and Western medicines at the moment. There's no hospital for him to go to because his case hasn't been confirmed due to the lack of testing kits.

My mum and aunt walk to the hospital every day in the hope of getting a bed for my dad despite their own health situation. But no hospital will take them.

'No one is helping us'

In Wuhan, there are many quarantine points to accommodate patients who have slight symptoms or are still in the incubation period.

There are some simple and really basic facilities there. But for people who are critically ill like my father, there are no beds for them.

My uncle actually died in one of the quarantine points because there are no medical facilities for people with severe symptoms. I really hope my father can get some proper treatment but no-one is in contact with us or helping us at the moment.

I got in touch with community workers several times, but the response I got was, "there's no chance of us getting a bed in the hospital".

Medical staff members wearing protective clothing accompany a patient as they walk into a hospital in WuhanImage copyright Getty Images Image caption The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the coronavirus crisis a global health emergency

We thought the quarantine point my dad and uncle went to was a hospital at the beginning, but it turned out to be a hotel.

There was no nurse or doctor and there was no heater. They went in the afternoon and the staff there served them a cold dinner that evening. My uncle was very ill then, with severe respiratory symptoms and started losing consciousness.

No doctor came to treat him. He and my dad stayed in separate rooms and when dad went to see him at 06:30 in the morning, he had already passed away.

'We'd rather die at home than go to quarantine'

The new hospitals being built are for people who are already in other hospitals at the moment. They are going to be transferred to the new ones.

But for people like us, we can't even get a bed now, let alone get one in the new hospitals.

p0822y4h.jpg

Media captionTime-lapse footage shows the construction of a new hospital built to deal with coronavirus patients in Wuhan

If we follow the government's guidelines, the only place we can go now is to those quarantine points. But if we went, what happened to my uncle would then happen to dad.

So we'd rather die at home.

'The infected population is huge'

There are many families like us around, all facing the same difficulties.

My friend's father was even refused by staff at the quarantine points because he had a high fever.

p082cnmw.jpg

Media captionThe BBC's online health editor on what we know about the virus

Resources are limited yet the infected population is huge. We are afraid, we don't know what will happen next.

Wang's message to the world

What I want to say is, if I knew they were going to lock down the city on 23 January, I would have definitely taken my whole family out, because there's no help here.

If we were somewhere else, there might be hope. I don't know whether people like us, who listened to the government and stayed in Wuhan, made the right decision or not.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Wang's message to the world

What I want to say is, if I knew they were going to lock down the city on 23 January, I would have definitely taken my whole family out, because there's no help here.

If we were somewhere else, there might be hope. I don't know whether people like us, who listened to the government and stayed in Wuhan, made the right decision or not

Glad she stayed.

Speaking of quarantine, guess who’s coming to Texas

On Wednesday morning, two flights carrying passengers from Wuhan, China -- the epicenter of the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak -- arrived at Travis Air Force Base near Sacramento, California. 

After refueling, one of these planes is now en route to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego, California, and is expected to land shortly.

Later this week, two additional flights are scheduled to land in the United States, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. One will arrive at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas; the other at Eppley Airfield in Omaha, Nebraska.

4 hours ago, bernorange said:

OK.  The last numbers I saw were a week old, so let's run with your numbers (devil's advocate mode engaged).  200 cases outside of China.  Is it possible that the 200 cases outside of China are not special?  ie. not representative of the average (so you wouldn't expect outcomes to represent the average within China)?  Is the standard of care better outside of China?  Has the window of danger already passed for the non-China cases?  Could there be other mitigating variables?  I don't know, but it seems possible to me.  Even 200 cases is really small compared to the overall China sample.

It’s possible, but extremely unlikely, that the 200 cases outside of China are unique.  I’m no statistician, so there is probably some nuance I’m missing here.  But assume the supposed “top secret” stats evidence a 20% fatality rate. Further assuming statistical independence of these 200 non-Chinese cases, the chances that 1 or fewer of those 200 die is vanishingly small.  On the order of a millionth of a millionth of a percent, I believe.  

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

He would have to pay my assault and court fees after I beat his ass into the ground.  

I would have taken his phone, deleted his recordings and then removed and destroyed the chip in the phone.  He could have it back after that and as he was arrested he could complain about the mean man who took his phone.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

i just found out our company has suspended china operations for the next 5 days (at least), and that workers are not expected to work from home. so, basically, china is all OOO

On the bright side, like, all of China is gonna be TOTALLY caught up on all the stuff in their Netflix queue.  So, they got that going for them, which is nice.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:
It’s possible, but extremely unlikely, that the 200 cases outside of China are unique.  I’m no statistician, so there is probably some nuance I’m missing here.  But assume the supposed “top secret” stats evidence a 20% fatality rate. Further assuming statistical independence of these 200 non-Chinese cases, the chances that 1 or fewer of those 200 die is vanishingly small.  On the order of a millionth of a millionth of a percent, I believe.  

It's possible that the fatality rate without treatment is that high. It would explain why it is lower in other countries. No other country has had its Healthcare system overwhelmed, yet.

Edited by Eastwood
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The "top secret" stats showed over 150,000 infected. 200 infected elsewhere is around 0.2% of the comparative sample size.  The situation in China (and Wuhan in particular) isn't the same as the situation outside of China, so I posit that there might be variables that we are not currently considering.

11 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

It's possible that the fatality rate without treatment is that high. It works explain why it is lower in other countries. No other country has had its Healthcare system overwhelmed, yet.

That's an excellent point.  Also, I wonder if the terrible air quality in Wuhan might contribute to the severity of, or ability to recover from, pneumonia.

https://aqicn.org/city/wuhan/

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/10/asia/china-wuhan-pollution-problems-intl-hnk/index.html

23 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

It's possible that the fatality rate without treatment is that high. It would explain why it is lower in other countries. No other country has had its Healthcare system overwhelmed, yet.

That is certainly possible. But if that were the case, I would expect to see rates of “critical condition” patients hovering above 20% outside of China.  The stats are incomplete, but we haven’t really seen that yet.

That makes no sense.  If the fatality rate is closer to 1 in 5, then why aren’t we seeing a rate even remotely close to that outside of China?

Playing devils advocate, but if there are ~240k confirmed/suspected cases, I’d imagine there is a severe lack of available medical care (personnel, drugs, IV fluids, etc). That would certainly have an impact on the fatality rate over countries where they are able to throw 100% of their efforts at treating only a handful of patients.

On the bright side, like, all of China is gonna be TOTALLY caught up on all the stuff in their Netflix queue.  So, they got that going for them, which is nice.

I bet they’re watching Pandemic like “this show is total bullshit.” Just like I was when I watched Baywatch the first summer I was a lifeguard

Wisconsin (WAOW) -- The Wisconsin Department of Health says the first case of coronavirus has been confirmed in Wisconsin.

The patient became infected when traveling abroad in China.

The Department of Health says the risk for other people in Wisconsin is low.

The person has not been hospitalized, health officials say the person has mild symptoms. The patient received testing at the University of Wisconsin Hospital in Madison

Health officials did not say where in the state the person lives or underwent testing.

This is a developing story. The story will be updated shortly.

The Philippines had their third case, but it was another Chinese person infected in China, so still no local transmission has been documented.

There is a flu virus going through Angeles, which I had, but my fever broke and the coughing subsided about 12 hours ago. So I will be out with the Chinese tourists, and everyone else tonight playing coronavirus roulette.

40 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Wisconsin (WAOW) -- The Wisconsin Department of Health says the first case of coronavirus has been confirmed in Wisconsin.

The patient became infected when traveling abroad in China.

The Department of Health says the risk for other people in Wisconsin is low.

The person has not been hospitalized, health officials say the person has mild symptoms. The patient received testing at the University of Wisconsin Hospital in Madison

Health officials did not say where in the state the person lives or underwent testing.

This is a developing story. The story will be updated shortly.

"Hello, Wisconsin!"

that 70s show meu GIF

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RayDog said:

The Philippines had their third case, but it was another Chinese person infected in China, so still no local transmission has been documented.

There is a flu virus going through Angeles, which I had, but my fever broke and the coughing subsided about 12 hours ago. So I will be out with the Chinese tourists, and everyone else tonight playing coronavirus roulette.

rest in peace horror GIF by lilcozynostril

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

2 hours ago, Eastwood said:

It was hammering elderly folks with underlying health issues in the first few waves of deaths.  Frail, elderly travelers traveling from China are probably fairly rare.   Most of the numbers I’ve seen for American cases have them under 60, without too many underlying issues/decades spent breathing in shitty, polluted air.   

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Just as Disney yanked all of their stuff from Netflix.  

On the plus side, we are going to find out that Henry Cavill is now the biggest star in China.  

3 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i just found out our company has suspended china operations for the next 5 days (at least), and that workers are not expected to work from home. so, basically, china is all OOO

wow thats crazy. oh well. 

man the entire world's supply chain gonna get all fucked now. probably as it should. chasing cheap money gonna come home to roast on your ass. sorry. what does a bat do? swoop or swoon or flap on that ass?

• Like 1

I’m somewhat convinced that this whole thing is just to extend their New Year. We haven’t heard from our factories in a hot minute.

5 hours ago, bernorange said:

The "top secret" stats showed over 150,000 infected. 200 infected elsewhere is around 0.2% of the comparative sample size.  The situation in China (and Wuhan in particular) isn't the same as the situation outside of China, so I posit that there might be variables that we are not currently considering.

That's an excellent point.  Also, I wonder if the terrible air quality in Wuhan might contribute to the severity of, or ability to recover from, pneumonia.

https://aqicn.org/city/wuhan/

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/10/asia/china-wuhan-pollution-problems-intl-hnk/index.html

So, Coronavirus melts steel? 

I saw a link to this story on the Twitters.  

It's probably bullshit.  However. I never thought the Chinese response seemed right for the threat, and to me the rationale that they were trying to save face for their response to SARS I don't believe. if you add the some of the crazy videos (corpses lining hospitals corridors,  medical personnel on the streets with weapons, people being barricaded alive in their apartments, villagers manning checkpoints barring outsiders, empty streets in Beijing and Shanghai. throwing pets out of multistory apartments thinking they're contagious) it makes one wonder if these responses would be more reasonable if the numbers below were true. 

Again probably bullshit,  but so are the official Chinese ones, which may give this some legs.

http://sandrarose.com/2020/02/chinese-tech-company-accidentally-leaks-real-coronavirus-numbers-24k-deaths-154k-confirmed-cases/

A Chinese tech company may have accidentally released the true numbers of the deadly coronavirus outbreak in China.

The official death toll stands at 492 worldwide with over 24,000 confirmed infections globally. But according to statistics briefly posted online by Internet firm Tencent, the true statistics are astronomically higher.

On Saturday evening, Tencent published the shocking stats on its webpage titled "Epidemic Situation Tracker".

Tencent noted that 24,000 people died from the coronavirus outbreak since late December, and 154,000 cases have been confirmed in China alone. That means the death rate is 16% - significantly higher than the death rate for the SARS virus which killed over 700 people in 2002-03.

Moments later, Tencent updated the numbers to reflect the Chinese government's official numbers for that day.

The news comes amid reports that crematoriums are operating 24 hours a day in Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the virus.

Crematorium workers are reportedly working around the clock to burn bodies from hospitals. In one video a woman in seen crying for her mother who was cremated within minutes of her death in a hospital. The woman did not get to see her mother's body before it was taken to the crematorium.

The Chinese government has been accused of suppressing the true scale of the epidemic.

There are 11 confirmed cases so far in the United States.

The symptoms of coronavirus are fever, cough, shortness of breath, headache, and diarrhea. There is no cure, but Thailand doctors successfully treated a 70-year-old woman with AIDS and flu drugs.

The best prevention against the coronavirus and flu virus is frequent hand washing and avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.

Edited by Colonel Sanders

6 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

jfc it's like they are spreading this shit intentionally. Why not take all of them to one spot, build a moat full of alligators around it, then patrol it with armed drones?

You mean put 'em all in North Korea?

Cause that's basically what that is, minus the alligators...

I think

A child among the 195 Americans quarantined at March Air Reserve Base in California has been hospitalized after developing a fever, but whether the youngster has the new coronavirus has yet to be determined.

Riverside County Department of Health officials said Tuesday that the child and a parent were taken to Riverside University Health System-Medical Center to be tested for the virus, which has infected more than 24,000 people in 25 countries and killed 492, mostly in China.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/02/05/child-from-march-air-reserve-base-quarantine-hospitalized-with-fever/#.XjthrHj87E0.twitter

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away