Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

45 minutes ago, Digdogger said:

On a brighter note, APD is being heroic with traffic enforcement.  Very few cars on the road = easy picking for speeding tickets

Especially watch the west bound lanes on 290 heading towards the Y.  Fuckers got me there a couple of months ago. 

14 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I know it's in response to actions done by our government, but fuck China anyways. When the dust settles, hopefully they are sanctioned by the UN for creating (yes I am blaming them - coincidence that their highest rated/classified virology lab is in Wuhan and every viral respiratory pandemic in the last 25 years has originated in China?) and attempting to hide (the cover-up is always worse than the original crime) what became a global pandemic.

A doctor friend says a report circulating in the medical community shows the virus has synthetic properties to it, FWIW.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

2 minutes ago, landman said:

A doctor friend says a report circulating in the medical community shows the virus has synthetic properties to it, FWIW.

Thanks!  I'm going to give this the same weight as Junior Miller with the three cases in the Arlington Hospital and Greenspoint saying it's in the Houston jail according to his DA buddy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, landman said:

This is true. We physicians have been baffled by the high rate of infectivity and how the virus can survive as a fomite for anywhere from 1-2 weeks outside of a biological system. Strictly based on the morbidity and mortality in Wuhan and Hubei province, the coronavirus definitely has the potential to be a biological weapon. Biological warfare is part of China's history - see the YouTube video below.

Is anyone surprised the US allowed this guy to live? It was a double standard back then. Execute the Nazis, but let the Japanese guy slide because his unethical research had scientific value.

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

I like Japan’s model of isolating the elderly. First, we are pretty good at it. Secondly, most normal functions can be maintained. Third, and most important, the roadways become safer. Of course, it also seems to be very effective.

The ambulatory elderly are ignoring the calls to stay out of groups.  Plus many live in group environments. 

26 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This sounds logical. That’s the only thing that can be extrapolated from the graph, though, right?  Hospitalization and death will have their own trend lines based on respective ability to process patients, right?  Or are those factors similar enough that all the data is correlatable and we are really seeing 10 days into the future when we look at Italy?

Hospitalization rate is probably somewhat community specific, as it'll likely depend on age, overall health, and (apparently) gender of the population. Similarly, death rate depends on those factors + ability of the healthcare system to process and treat patients. You'd certainly expect a rise in death rate when a health system becomes overwhelmed as we are seeing in Italy. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

ETVAx22UMAAtTnQ.jpg

Thanks for posting.  I've been looking for a way to word this, but the chart does a better job.  Every western nation more or less is on the same trajectory.

The SARS-region countries either through protocol or social response are at basically the same rate.  SK was able to pivot from one to the other.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, landman said:

Stop spreading propaganda

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/06/coronavirus-facts-debunking-myths-covid-19/4954958002/

Once again, no, the new coronavirus is not a bioweapon engineered by scientists in China. Early last month, bloggers began to circulate a theory on social media and other websites that the virus was man-made. Health officials debunked the claim, but Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., repeated the theory at least three times on Fox News. Right wing media outlets defended Cotton's comments.

• Like 4

Just now, 3adays said:

So Austin has banned gatherings of 10 people or more. What constitutes a “gathering”? Would a construction site or office be considered a gathering? 

Great question. If I go to the store and there are 30 people there, can I tell 20 to get the fuck out?

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’d just like to have some hope that we aren’t already locked in to having 300+ deaths a day by the end of March 

Well, we will find out if our measures have been effective in the next 10 days or so. You'll have your answer then. Of course, the next question, is whether we'll learn the right lesson or decide we overreacted. 

2 minutes ago, stone oak said:

Update: Nurse still hasn't gotten her test results back.

I'm in SA and the fucking allergies here are killing me. No cough/fever, but sore throat and my eyes are on fire today...Anyone else?

I'm getting a slight cough that has me getting all paranoid. We went to Hawaii last week in a whole family trip. If it was a trip paid for by me, we wouldn't have gone. But here I am now with most likely seasonal allergies being paranoid about every cough that happens once an hour.

5 minutes ago, stone oak said:

Update: Nurse still hasn't gotten her test results back.

I'm in SA and the fucking allergies here are killing me. No cough/fever, but sore throat and my eyes are on fire today...Anyone else?

I think it is a 3 day turnaround ish at the moment. I assume you are self isolating and waiting for the call?

SA has a high Oak count today (https://www.ksat.com/weather/pollen-count/) and Zyrtec's Allergycast has today as a higher allergy impact than the pollen count fwiw

Edited by NoName

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

I think it is a 3 day turnaround ish at the moment. I assume you are self isolating and waiting for the call?

SA has a high Oak count today (https://www.ksat.com/weather/pollen-count/) and Zyrtec's Allergycast has today as a higher allergy impact than the pollen count fwiw

Yeah I'm taking PTO this week. My office here refused to shut down (O&G) and I can't work from home well without a huge workstation.

That makes me feel better re: allergies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stone oak said:

Yeah I'm taking PTO this week. My office here refused to shut down (O&G) and I can't work from home well without a huge workstation.

That makes me feel better re: allergies.

I'm not taking any time off for anything if I can help it. Gotta show some value when the layoffs come for everyone.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Friend had surgery at Northwestern yesterday. It was the last day for elective surgery. I think I choose to find it positive that they are gearing up to shift all available resources to help.

Yeah gettin g resources focussed on this is paramount.  I have an old HS bud who was supposed to have surgery to implant chemo bombs today for bone cancer related to a tumor they found on his appendix a couple months back.

Postponed, not sure if that means they don't consider his issue life threatening or fuck that guy he's dead anyway ?  I think he's of the opinion they can hold off, and just monitor for a month or so.

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I'm not taking any time off for anything if I can help it. Gotta show some value when the layoffs come for everyone.

Yeah we are at a pretty shitty spot in the industry these days. As soon as I get the call that she's negative, I'm probably going to cancel my PTO and get my ass into the office. For the last 2 weeks, I've done nothing but go straight to work and straight home after. Luckily, it's a really small shop <10 people and I have my own office so I can keep people at somewhat of a distance. I'm much more worried about the olds than myself at work though.

20 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

We physicians have been baffled by the high rate of infectivity and how the virus can survive as a fomite for anywhere from 1-2 weeks outside of a biological system.

Maybe they should start teaching genetics, mutation, and evolution by natural selection in medical school.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away