Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

My biggest frustration in how this whole thing has gone down is a lack of focus on the antibody tests. If the idea was to mitigate fear in people, and get them back to work weeks ago, then you should have been telling the public weeks ago that we’re working on wide scale antibody testing. Let the 40-60% of people that had mild cases or asymptomatic testing go back to work. Start the economy is pieces, make the people feel safe and there is a path back stabilize the markets. Kill 2 birds with one stone. 

im literally amazed this hasn’t been a plan front he started. Its like everyone forgot they exist in the chase for ventilators or stressing social distancing 

Dr Lapook talked about some progress on this front on CBS This Morning (this morning).

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/doctor-explains-us-astronomical-increase-in-coronavirus-cases/

20 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

We were too far into this when we had that discussion. We aren’t set up like any country you referenced. 

We had the same heads up that S Korea & Singapore had.  Are you arguing we don't have the same technical capability, or physical capability?  Because no country in the world is "set up" like any other country.

If your point is that testing wasn't important because we failed at testing... that's not a sound argument against the efficacy of testing

Testing is, was, and will continue to be critical.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

We had the same heads up that S Korea & Singapore had.  Are you arguing we don't have the same technical capability, or physical capability?  Because no country in the world is "set up" like any other country.

If your point is that testing wasn't important because we failed at testing... that's not a sound argument against the efficacy of testing

Of course we had the same heads up but that’s not when the discussion was really getting heavy in regards to testing. It was around the time the initial tests were deemed as failures. Testing needed to be in place for the international flights arriving in the US initially for us to halt this thing.

In regards to being like the countries you spoke of, mapping movement and contact is much easier in a country that’s the size of a small state or city. Picture a flight from China which eventually is determined to have an infected person on board. It lands in Seattle. Infected person goes out into Seattle. It’s relatively easy to map that person’s movement or contacts if it’s caught quickly.

However, the other several hundred passengers (many of them exposed or also infected) then board planes to any number of other cities in the US because Seattle wasn’t their final destination. They may even have stay at hotels and board multiple flights to get to their final destination. The mapping becomes virtually impossible at that point as the use subways, buses, visit stores all over our vast country within days of arriving. How many tests would we have to immediately have just to confirm one flight’s spread? We never had or were going to have that capability.

So, that’s a small picture of why I believe our country will always struggle establishing contact when comparing to smaller countries. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Loco said:

We don’t have the same cultural capability. It’s called freedom. Singapore has given up 100% of their lives to being surveilled openly by their government. And they’re good at it. That was never happening here, nor was people voluntarily giving up their personal freedoms until being ordered to do so, and we suck at it even then. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I'm most pissed at the Chinese fuckwads because I could have been quarantining in Jan/Feb instead of  March/April.  fuckheads...all of 'em.

I think they did Lock down in Jan...  Like huge news making lockdowns.  I remember because it was also the Lunar new year.

Wiki says Jan 23rd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Hubei_lockdowns

I avoid public restrooms like the plague they are, here's a couple things about fecal/oral transmission and also about the 2003 SARS outbreak in Hong Kong and likely spread through building plumbing   

Raises another possible cause for high density living and viral transmission   

Fecal/oral:

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=229095

Viral spreading through plumbing systems:

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-spread-building-pipes.html

i have always preferred living in a more rural setting for many reasons, give me >10 acres and a good septic system over density any day   

3 minutes ago, Loco said:

I think they did Lock down in Jan...  Like huge news making lockdowns.  I remember because it was also the Lunar new year.

Wiki says Jan 23rd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Hubei_lockdowns

Which was almost 2 months after they knew about the problem.  They were denying it up until Dec 31st

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Which was almost 2 months after they knew about the problem.  They were denying it up until Dec 31st

and then denied it was person to person for 2 more weeks.  anyway, it was more of a joke, that they are fucking up spring in Texas, but whatever

Edited by dcar00

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We don’t have the same cultural capability. It’s called freedom. Singapore has given up 100% of their lives to being surveilled openly by their government. And they’re good at it. That was never happening here, nor was people voluntarily giving up their personal freedoms until being ordered to do so, and we suck at it even then. 

1. That has nothing to do with testing efficacy
  2. Damned near every man women and child in american voluntarily carries around the most sophisticated spy device invented by man.   Yes our government uses this data.
  3. Have we not given up freedoms in the time of crisis / natural disaster?   I know I can't go to the beach now, I know friends who had to close their businesses.
  4. I disagree that Americans faced with daunting challenges can't rise and overcome them like no other country on this planet. (this is obviously just opinion)
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I was responding to the quote below.  I'm not defending China's government. 

17 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I'm most pissed at the Chinese fuckwads because I could have been quarantining in Jan/Feb instead of  March/April.  fuckheads...all of 'em.

It's interesting how focus has shifted in the general discussion to what other countries did or didn't do.  Like somehow that paints the current picture in the US any differently.

If no CR is to be enforced,  I vote for no nationalism / patriotism, since that is an equally slippery slope as partisan criticism when having productive, logical discourse

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

Maybe addressed elsewhere, but I can't find it. Say you get a negative test. Yea! Golden Ticket! Then on the way to freedom some positive guy coughs on you.

I worry that testing may result in a false sense of security.

This is why, to Sydney's point, that anti-body testing is what is truly needed.  If you have been exposed and recovered then you should be allowed to return to normal.  That is, of course, assuming you can't be reinfected which I am not sure anyone knows yet.

4 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Better be some GD fucking good chips for twelve fucking dollars. 

Santitas ftmfw

interesting graph..  nothing shocking except maybe Colorado stocking up to go ham on neighboring states

ET9XwREUcAEefa-?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

It's interesting how focus has shifted in the general discussion to what other countries did or didn't do.  Like somehow that paints the current picture in the US any differently.

If no CR is to be enforced,  I vote for no nationalism / patriotism, since that is an equally slippery slope as partisan criticism when having productive, logical discourse

Shove it up your ass.
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

I don't know how anyone affords to shop at Publix. It's like $12 for a bag of chips. 

I’m thankful I only have to pay $4, but if I had to I would pay $12 for the Cape Cod waffle cut sea salt potato chips.  Best chip ever.

2 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

If we ask you what time it is, don’t tell us how to build a watch.

That's weird because when a girl asks for a watch, when I give it to her, she needs to know what it is time for.

Edited by Bevo
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

There is a Covid19 medical discussion thread.  maybe try that one. Or you can assume this is the Coronavirus game thread and China is OU.

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 3

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/25/new-york-city-hospitals-are-nearly-maxed-out-former-fda-chief-says.html

Hospitals in New York City are nearing capacity due to an influx of coronavirus patients, former Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Scott Gottlieb told CNBC on Wednesday. 

COVID-19 has killed 192 people in New York City, according to Johns Hopkins University, but Gottlieb said that number will rise if the hospitals become overwhelmed.

“New York City hospitals right now are on the brink of what I would call being maxed out in terms of their available capacity,” he said on “Squawk Box.” “New York has another about five weeks to go for this between now and when they’re going to hit peak hospitalizations, so the fact that they’re stretched right now is worrisome.”

The virus has infected more than 15,500 people in New York City, which accounts for more than 25% of all U.S. cases, according to Johns Hopkins. However, the number of actual cases across the country is likely significantly higher, officials have acknowledged. Testing in the U.S. has been hampered by delays and a restrictive diagnostic criteria that limited who could get tested. 

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Tuesday that the state has about 3,000 to 4,000 ventilators, a potentially lifesaving device that helps patients breathe, and has purchased about 7,000 more, but it needs a minimum of 30,000 additional ventilators. He added that the state could need up to 140,000 hospital beds in 14 to 21 days. He said the state currently has about 53,000 hospital beds. 

20200325 COVID cases in NYC w map

New York University is allowing its medical students to graduate early so they can help relieve some health-care workers in the city, Gottlieb said. 

“The hospitals really are at the point of getting extremely pressed and perhaps being overwhelmed in cities like New York right now,” said Gottlieb, a CNBC contributor who sits on the boards of Pfizer and biotech company Illumina. “Once that happens then the mortality rate is going to start to increase. It’s going to accelerate.”

While New York City is among the first American cities to have a major epidemic, Gottlieb warned that the virus will likely spread to other cities, which should begin preparing now. Gottlieb mentioned Miami, Atlanta, New Orleans and Chicago as possible sites of epidemics. 

“If other cities start to have epidemics at a staggered period and on the scale of New York, where we have to now marshal resources and move them into those cities, this is going to be a longer epidemic for the entire country,” he said.

‘Clearly not doing enough’

While states and cities across the U.S. have shuttered nonessential businesses and ordered residents to stay at home, Dr. Rishi Desai, former epidemic intelligence service officer at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said the country’s not doing enough to curb the spread of the virus.

“Italy is locked down. Many parts of Europe are locked down. The United States is not locked down and we haven’t done that universally, we haven’t done that federally. We’ve done that state by state but the majority of states are still not locked down,” he said on “Squawk Box.”

He said the number of new cases in the U.S. is rising everyday and the country still isn’t testing enough to understand the true spread of the virus. 

“Everything that’s nonessential to the functioning of society needs to shut down,” Desai said. “We’re clearly not doing enough.”

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away