Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 hours ago, akhornfan said:

You do realize you were in the ‘we’re all going to die’ numbers crowd right? Your estimate that you claimed to be conservative had a million US deaths within its parameters. 

Such a bullshit perspective, but you may always get to keep it! Forcing people not to work and making everyone else work from home and not leave for anything but the grocery store slowed the spread and limited the number that died in the 1st wave?! SEE?! THERE WAS NO REASON TO PANIC!!1

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Everybody has already shown you how cancer and heart disease patients don't overwhelm our hospitals in short order, and how they don't infect and kill the people trying to treat them.

It was pathetic back in February when airheads were pushing the "it's not as bad as the flu", even though the rest of us were like "holy shit, they are completely locking down parts of China, crippling their economy, and arresting people for breaking the quarantine rules.  Just how bad is this going to get?"

It's now March 26, 2020, and there are still idiots bitching that it's not as bad as the flu, that we shouldn't "destroy our lives over it", that we shouldn't risk our stonk portfolios, that granny may have to die so you can start back at the Cracker Barrel.

This is a sports forum focused on The University of Texas at Austin.  Maybe they have some experts who could inform us?  Why yes, yes they do.

https://www.kxan.com/news/ut-modeling-shows-covid-19-demand-could-put-austin-hospitals-at-capacity-in-several-weeks/

Oh, but who are these people talking about such things?

But the aggy who think this is just the flu and we should get on with our lives, and I'm not saying you're one of them, but you sure as fuck act like it, I'm sure they will claim that she is just another tsip

http://www.bio.utexas.edu/research/meyers/LaurenM/index.html

Whooptie Fucking Do, right?

PSHAW!  Harvard, Stanford?  They got nothing on Aggy School of Medicine!  I bet UT higher-ups wouldn't even sign off on this.

But who the fuck is this guy?  I bet he's an ophthalmologist or chiropractor or something and not a real doctor

https://dellmed.utexas.edu/directory/clay-johnston

But I'm washing my hands and I'm staying 5 feet away from people when I make my daily trips into Krogers!

Bbbbut this is hurting my stonks, I need people to get back to work, 

DAMNIT THE MASS COMMUNICATION MAJOR ON TV SAID IT'S KEEPING US FROM DOING OUR NORMAL THINGS, AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND LOTS OF WORDS.

The University of Texas at Austin made a nice graph for you

spacer.png

But I bet she's not good at computers!

Actually, she's pretty fucking good with computers, at least going by what the CDC says about her, but what do they know amirite?  Well, she did have some help.

Yeah, but seriously, what do her bosses think, that guy that got his epidemwhatever degree at Berkley

Step away from the TV, stop taking your advice from communications and business majors who have shows on TV and are doing their best to keep you watching or play to your personal financial anxieties.  

1cat5r.jpg

Just now, closetojumping said:

I cut your prediction in half for you and gave you even odds anyway. But no dice, huh? 

I clearly said it may or may not be that bad.  Bad that is the pace we're on.  You don't have to believe me.  Get someone smarter than you to show you on a calculator.

And the "fuck you" was for even considering wagering on such a thing.  If you're not better than that, you should be.

• Like 5

They are saying there is a full lockdown in Angeles with nobody going out at all stores closing. Food and water will be delivered.  But the city next to me says they only have enough food for people to eat once a day between now and April 12, the date the lockdown will be lifted or extended. I will try one more shopping trip.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

The video of cellphones in Ft. Lauderdale and then their spread convinces me we should nuke pretty much the entire midwest and most of the NE.  We'd be better of in many ways.

The reality is that they kind of nuked themselves.

2 minutes ago, RayDog said:

They are saying there is a full lockdown in Angeles with nobody going out at all stores closing. Food and water will be delivered.  But the city next to me says they only have enough food for people to eat once a day between now and April 12, the date the lockdown will be lifted or extended. I will try one more shopping trip.

Just make sure you get all the ingredients for Lumpia. That way GF 1 and GF 2 have something to do when not fighting or fucking you. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Luxembourg

Population: 600K

COVID: 1453

Deaths: 9

Russia

Population: 144.5 million 

COVID: 840

Death: 3 

I think we already surmised vodka makes you resistant.  I don't think downhill skiing does though.

39 minutes ago, Covri said:

Can someone explain it like I’m five why people in Dallas still can’t get tested when they have multiple symptoms of it and work in essential businesses like a urgent care/ health clinics/pharmacies? Heard there are only two testing locations now in Dallas and they have limited tests available. Other places stopped testing (turning people away to begin with) all together as a result.

It's happening again in Austin - From Adler's interview with the Texas Tribune:

• Adler also expressed concern that the city does not have the supplies to conduct the volume of testing that is needed, so officials are currently prioritizing testing those who are most at risk.
  • Because the city has so few tests relative to the need, Adler said officials can’t get data they need, “so we have to make assumptions” about the number of cases that we have within the community.

Basically, for tests, they are prioritizing first responders, healthcare professionals, and people being hospitalized.  There is still some testing going on from what is being said, but I'm not sure if/how/when they are being processed.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Update on this since it was asked. I just drove down to Academy to get a new cast net and some cut bait for crab traps. Didn’t have to wait in line if I wasn’t buying a fire arm, so, uh, good. Anyway, beaches were open. Now, I know there are some banshees on here just waiting to wail, so let me add that they were sparsely populated and no groups were anywhere close to each other. 

@Johnny Sack

Gracias.  Heading down there tomorrow morning.  Going to surf fish and let the kids swim.

4 minutes ago, RayDog said:

We had pages of discussions about price gouging, free market, supply and demand, and I realized something.

Out of everybody posting here, you are probably the best expert we have in regards to the free market, supply/demand, and price gouging.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, WBT said:

If you think Surfside is hillbilly, you've obviously never been to Quintana or Sargent good sir.

I have a 1/4 interest in a shack on Caney Creek in Sargent.  That town might take the trashy people gold medal in Texas.

I once was at the Texaco/hardware store in town picking up some beer and a local meth head was told she was too intoxicated to buy one of their Hunts Brothers Pizzas (which had been sitting under a heat lamp for a couple days).  Seriously, too drunk/stoned to buy a gas station pizza?

7 minutes ago, B00M said:

Such a bullshit perspective, but you may always get to keep it! Forcing people not to work and making everyone else work from home and not leave for anything but the grocery store slowed the spread and limited the number that died in the 1st wave?! SEE?! THERE WAS NO REASON TO PANIC!!1

You’re telling me that early on you couldn’t consider that with increased risks that additional measures would be taken?  You thought we’d just maintain status quo?

Ive been maintaining that the as is numbers weren’t an indicator of future results. For multiple reasons. 

Do we know why Germany is such an outlier on Corona deaths? Are they reporting them differently?

I read somewhere that Germans are not counting deaths if the patient had Corona and other co-morbidities such as high BP, heart disease, COPD, diabetes. Is that true? Hard to explain otherwise.

13 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Tyler is just trying to prove to the world how good their hospitals are. Gregg County (Longview) has tested 70 people. 27 negative and 3 positive with 40 still outstanding. Smith County (Tyler) has 21 confirmed cases and evidence of local spread, with one case being a postal mail carrier. Not sure how many tests they have administered, but I'd imagine they still have a lot of outstanding tests. Gregg is mandatory SiP, while Smith is doing nothing. There are a lot of people who travel back and forth between Tyler and Longview for work who work in essential industries like health care or chemicals production. Tyler is going to kill us all.

It's idiocy.  What can I say?

48 minutes ago, Covri said:

Can someone explain it like I’m five why people in Dallas still can’t get tested when they have multiple symptoms of it and work in essential businesses like a urgent care/ health clinics/pharmacies? Heard there are only two testing locations now in Dallas and they have limited tests available. Other places stopped testing (turning people away to begin with) all together as a result.

I had direct contact with a positive COVID-19 patient who wound up in the hospital and on a ventilator, have had symptoms since last Tuesday but no fever and I can't get tested despite my PCP recommending I get one. Tried through Baylor and Medical City and both through their online screening turned the test down. Baylor said quarantine for 14 days, which I've been doing already. Med City said I likely have a cold. I'll be keen to take the antibody test down the road, I guess. I think I'm finally getting out of this mess and if this was it, it was fairly mild -- but still not fun to feel completely run over for nearly 10 days or more. I haven't seen my kids in two weeks.

There's apparently a doc office at Preston/Belt Line that is testing. They do a flu and strep test first and then COVID-19 if those are negative. Or so my PCP has heard. The lack of available testing is really disconcerting.

• Like 2

It'd be awesome if we had a few days of declining deaths, but then you see we easily cleared 16,000 new cases today, and it's kind of like seeing the opposing team go up by half-a-dozen runs in early innings while your team can't seem to put anything on the board.  All the time, you're thinking "where the hell is the trashcan lid banger"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Do we know why Germany is such an outlier on Corona deaths? Are they reporting them differently?

I read somewhere that Germans are not counting deaths if the patient had Corona and other co-morbidities such as high BP, heart disease, COPD, diabetes. Is that true? Hard to explain otherwise.

They aren’t counting.  

I have a 1/4 interest in a shack on Caney Creek in Sargent.  That town might take the trashy people gold medal in Texas.
I once was at the Texaco/hardware store in town picking up some beer and a local meth head was told she was too intoxicated to buy one of their Hunts Brothers Pizzas (which had been sitting under a heat lamp for a couple days).  Seriously, too drunk/stoned to buy a gas station pizza?

All this talk about surfside, Bryan beach, Quintana, Sargent reminds me of my childhood growing up in southern brazoria county. Great place to grow up if you love to have free reign and hunt and fish and don’t know any better. Moved to Austin to go to Texas when I was 17 and got civilized and it ruined me.
  • Like 2

Checked in with my Dad today and as expected he's still fully in the this is all overblown by the media camp. I can only talk to one brother in my family about this because the rest are all blowing it off. Not really sure what has to happen to wake these people up.

Just now, Gale Snoats said:

All this talk about surfside, Bryan beach, Quintana, Sargent reminds me of my childhood growing up in southern brazoria county. Great place to grow up if you love to have free reign and hunt and fish and don’t know any better. Moved to Austin to go to Texas when I was 17 and got civilized and it ruined me.

I remember the first night in Sargent.  It was September and about 90 degrees and 100% humidity.  Standing water everywhere.  I have never seen mosquitoes like that and I grew up in Houston.  You had to jump out of your truck and shut the door immediately to keep 90 bugs from getting in.

21 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Nobody wants to be right about tens of thousands of people dying and make money on it, you goddamn psycho.

If we’re talking about the lack of humanity and compassion then continuing to throw out ridiculous numbers of dead is worse. Not better. At least the ‘bets’ are coming in on the low side 

Edited by akhornfan
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Checked in with my Dad today and as expected he's still fully in the this is all overblown by the media camp. I can only talk to one brother in my family about this because the rest are all blowing it off. Not really sure what has to happen to wake these people up.

I don’t know why we haven’t seen this yet, to be honest, but I imagine what some folks will need is media reports of footage outside of field hospitals and wings after wings of intubated people in hospitals. I’m surprised we haven’t seen it yet out of NY, to be honest. Investigative journalism doesn’t exit any more, only sensationalism, so you’d think that news stations would be all over this shit. 

I don’t know why we haven’t seen this yet, to be honest, but I imagine what some folks will need is media reports of footage outside of field hospitals and wings after wings of intubated people in hospitals. I’m surprised we haven’t seen it yet out of NY, to be honest. Investigative journalism doesn’t exit any more, only sensationalism, so you’d think that news stations would be all over this shit. 

It's just unbelievably frustrating. His mother is 86, he's in his 60's, heart disease runs in our family. Even if none of those are reasons to take it seriously, open your eyes and look around at what's going on. Quoting Flu stats is not doing research on the subject.

I can't even talk to him right now which is sad.

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

send them links to the Italian or Spanish news channels. 

On 3/24/2020 at 7:36 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

The playgrounds in Mueller were overrun with kids all weekend with not a Clorox wipe in sight. It was 95% Hispanic families (no racisto) which made my wife wonder if Spanish speaking news was covering COVID as seriously as english MSM. These families were babies, toddlers, grade school, young parents, old parents, and abuelitas. 

And 2 days before Denver shutdown I saw like 30 or so Caucasian 20 somethings playing volleyball at wash park when it was strongly urged to stay home and practice distancing. Couldn’t. Believe. It.

4 minutes ago, Okie State said:
6 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:
send them links to the Italian or Spanish news channels. 

You know as well as I that these people being referenced only get their news from one source.

lie and tell them it is an overseas affiliate. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, RayDog said:

Good luck. Sounds bad, stay safe

39 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I clearly said it may or may not be that bad.  Bad that is the pace we're on.  You don't have to believe me.  Get someone smarter than you to show you on a calculator.

And the "fuck you" was for even considering wagering on such a thing.  If you're not better than that, you should be.

The reality is, after reading this thread and these sites over the years, I am fairly certain I’ve run more of the real world exercises on things like this than damned near any other poster. I’m not a scientist or a doctor and have no clue on those ends, but I have sponsored and/or led many chaos-oriented (many unknown variables, many unknown outcomes) big data exercises in the real world arena. Done a few with Palantir, even.

That’s all this is at this point.  So, yeah, I don’t need a fucking calculator. That’s part of your problem and everyone else’s. Stop using the calculator with static (all data in something like this is static or old after 24 hours) data and you’ll get closer to the fucking truth. 

36 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Nobody wants to be right about tens of thousands of people dying and make money on it, you goddamn psycho.

Listen, I’ve always been the one taking the under on this shit. You’ve been one of the many bizarrely cheering for big numbers and then playing the “what kind of monster are you!!!” card. So fuck yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I’m still trying to figure out if these people think the US media has so much sway over governmental policy all over the world, or if they think every country has media like ours that sensationalizes things and gets the governmental experts to go along, or some other circumstance that has led to large parts of the world being mothballed indefinitely. 

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away