Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

26 minutes ago, Okie State said:

It's just unbelievably frustrating. His mother is 86, he's in his 60's, heart disease runs in our family. Even if none of those are reasons to take it seriously, open your eyes and look around at what's going on. Quoting Flu stats is not doing research on the subject.

I can't even talk to him right now which is sad.

Then just talk about something else. You aren't going to change his mind. He isn't going to change yours. Kind of a silly thing not to talk to your dad over. 

spacer.png

• Like 9

I think I made a post about 200 pages back arguing how spring break happening right then was the absolute worst case scenario for our country.  Some people wanted to argue that getting the kids out of the schools was the key.   It is, but having parents with $$coin already spent for SB at Disney/Vail/et al was a ducking disaster waiting to happen.   Hear we are 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, C-Man said:

can't

46 minutes ago, C-Man said:

PCP recommending I get one.

Your PCP should be able to order one if they are Baylor employed. I’ve ordered both people to get at testing site and I have donned PPE and swabbed patients myself when I thought they qualified.  The office must have the right viral swab however. CPL and Quest are running the tests privately as well but I think the turn around time on Quest is long. Baylor should be running the test in one of their north Texas facilities this week. Prior, everything was being run in Temple.

Overall the testing is limited still.

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I think I made a post about 200 pages back arguing how spring break happening right then was the absolute worst case scenario for our country.  Some people wanted to argue that getting the kids out of the schools was the key.   It is, but having parents with $$coin already spent for SB at Disney/Vail/et al was a ducking disaster waiting to happen.   Hear we are 

Either vector scenario was going to be a problem. This was still a better time than Christmas break. That season is a flu accelerant like no other. The best scenario would have had this all happen two weeks prior to Spring Break and we would have locked down travel earlier.

Then just talk about something else. You aren't going to change his mind. He isn't going to change yours. Kind of a silly thing not to talk to your dad over. 
071411_robertsblossom.jpg
Tried that tonight. It comes up.

We work at the same office so we talk daily during normal times.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Doubt it because st Patrick’s and spring break. That will take time to spread. 

Started seeing City of Austin putting signs up around the playscape in our park, closing them.    Of course, that didn’t stop the CrossFit fans  from using the equipment, but maybe it’s keeping the rugrats from spreading stuff all over.   

51 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I remember the first night in Sargent.  It was September and about 90 degrees and 100% humidity.  Standing water everywhere.  I have never seen mosquitoes like that and I grew up in Houston.  You had to jump out of your truck and shut the door immediately to keep 90 bugs from getting in.

I can count the number of mesquitos I’ve seen here in west Houston over the last 7 years on 2 hands.  Growing up in Clute, you would swallow them just trying to get from the front door to the car at times.  

16 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Counter argument:

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

So basically, all the dickheads that celebrated spring break made the rest of the country's self quarantining pointless during that time period? 

yes because they will all come back to the major cities and start licking toilet seats....

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I had direct contact with a positive COVID-19 patient who wound up in the hospital and on a ventilator, have had symptoms since last Tuesday but no fever and I can't get tested despite my PCP recommending I get one. Tried through Baylor and Medical City and both through their online screening turned the test down. Baylor said quarantine for 14 days, which I've been doing already. Med City said I likely have a cold. I'll be keen to take the antibody test down the road, I guess. I think I'm finally getting out of this mess and if this was it, it was fairly mild -- but still not fun to feel completely run over for nearly 10 days or more. I haven't seen my kids in two weeks.

There's apparently a doc office at Preston/Belt Line that is testing. They do a flu and strep test first and then COVID-19 if those are negative. Or so my PCP has heard. The lack of available testing is really disconcerting.

Very similar situation to 4 people I know here in queens. No doc will test them, told to just quarantine and wait it out. Hopefully the antibody test actually comes through Some day. Related question, any hard facts on how long one is contagious after recovering? 

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

How’s the sun treating you?  Must be hard crawling out of the CR rock 

Appreciate my warning for this one.  Jesus 

ruined a perfectly fucking legit post on another thread because I was merely commenting about someone who never/rarely ventures out of the CR.   I understand, but shit.  That’s touchy 

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 1

I don’t understand this post. Can you explain? 
Also, HugoStiglitz is the quintessential example of why the cloak room is a fucking echo chamber circle jerk of trash posters. Guys like Brisket and jimmyjazz are fine by me, but their rep is driven by that board. Hugo, however, is the epitome. He’s a piece of shit poster on any other forum, but he apparently is a wizard in the fucking cloak room. It’s all fucking silly. Posters I’ve never seen on the other forums have shown up on this thread with 1500+ points. That’s a game happening somewhere.  
So yeah, if anyone has been negged by these clowns for bullshit reasons, direct us there. 

I take umbrage at your ignorance of my rep stacking from places like the Steel Shank thread. And not-infrequent disgusted rants on football game threads. I am a multi-dimensional renaissance man.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I had direct contact with a positive COVID-19 patient who wound up in the hospital and on a ventilator, have had symptoms since last Tuesday but no fever and I can't get tested despite my PCP recommending I get one. Tried through Baylor and Medical City and both through their online screening turned the test down. Baylor said quarantine for 14 days, which I've been doing already. Med City said I likely have a cold. I'll be keen to take the antibody test down the road, I guess. I think I'm finally getting out of this mess and if this was it, it was fairly mild -- but still not fun to feel completely run over for nearly 10 days or more. I haven't seen my kids in two weeks.

There's apparently a doc office at Preston/Belt Line that is testing. They do a flu and strep test first and then COVID-19 if those are negative. Or so my PCP has heard. The lack of available testing is really disconcerting.

Wait, did Med City (whatever the fuck that is) not tell you to quarantine either?  You had direct contact and they didn't say at least quarantine?  If you have direct contact with a confirmed case and get sick you should always assume you have COVID, not a god damn cold.  Advice like that is going to get a lot of people killed.  Morons. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

It's just unbelievably frustrating. His mother is 86, he's in his 60's, heart disease runs in our family. Even if none of those are reasons to take it seriously, open your eyes and look around at what's going on. Quoting Flu stats is not doing research on the subject.

I can't even talk to him right now which is sad.

Stanco thinks quarantining for COVID is like outlawing driving because we have fatal car accidents every day.  I mean, I guess if the car accidents were highly contagious and they were doubling every day...maybe we would shut down driving?  Nah, probably not.  Stanco done nailed it.  

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Wait, did Med City (whatever the fuck that is) not tell you to quarantine either?  You had direct contact and they didn't say at least quarantine?  If you have direct contact with a confirmed case and get sick you should always assume you have COVID, not a god damn cold.  Advice like that is going to get a lot of people killed.  Morons. 

We had a positive at the HS. District would not say anything about where the person was, doing, etc. No one was told to quarantine. Could have been a sub, a visitor, or a visiting student (sports) that day. All they said we had a hit on this day. Enjoy Spring Break. Yes, agree with you. 

d3b7c7618018f9fade120468dbc6b708--gene-w

Adolph (T.J.) Mendez died Thursday afternoon at Ascension Seton Medical Center in Austin from complications of the COVID-19 virus, according to his family. He was 44.

Mendez was born in San Antonio and lived in New Braunfels for the last 14 years.

Brenda Johnson, Mendez’s daughter, said her father was tested last week for the coronavirus and received a positive diagnosis on Tuesday.

She said her father had been “perfectly healthy” and had no underlying health conditions.

Johnson described Mendez as “the best kind” of father.

“He was kind,” Johnson said. “He was patient. He cared about others. He loved his family so much. He was very involved in our community and our church.”

Mendez taught kindergarten at Oakwood Church where his students called him “Mr. Sticker Man.”

“Every Sunday they would give out stickers to the kids in their bibles and the little kindergarteners would give him stickers to put on his name badge. He was very loved by all.”

Johnson also spoke about walking down the aisle with her father on her wedding day.

“It was really special to get him to do that for me,” she said. “I looked at him and told him that he wasn’t allowed to look at me or I would start crying. Before they opened the chapel doors, he looked down on me and I looked at him and we both started crying. It was the sweetest thing.”

He also enjoyed jumping on his trampoline with his three boys, she said.

“T.J. was a devoted Christian man,” said Pastor Ray Still of Oakwood Church. “He loved his wife and children, his Lord and the Lord’s church and served it faithfully. He will be greatly missed. All the people of Oakwood Church grieve with his wife and children and their loss.”

Still added that everyone in the community should take the coronavirus messages seriously.

“They need to listen to both our elected and health officials that are giving us advice and not to ignore this,” Still said. “It is serious, and God would want us to respect authority and respect those who ask something of us. We need to do that for the common good of the entire community."

Kathleen Krueger, former New Braunfels mayor pro-tem and director of development and public relations at Hope Hospice, said sometimes you meet a person “whose soul shines so brightly that all you can do is smile when you see them.”

"Mr. Mendez and his family are those kinds of people — radiantly healthy, beautiful, kind, joyful, so in love with each other, their church, and their community,” Krueger said. "COVID-19 has extinguished a bright light — has robbed yet another family. They will need all the love and support we can give as they journey through the dark days ahead without this strong, handsome man by their side.”

Mayor Barron Casteel also expressed sympathies to the family.

“Someone close to the family talked to me on Monday and my heart goes out to the family,” Casteel said. "He had his whole life ahead of him. I will grieve for him.”

County Judge Sherman Krause issued a statement Thursday afternoon.

“Our hearts, as well as our thoughts and our prayers, go out to this man’s family and friends,” Krause said. “This tragic news emphasizes the need for all of us to make sure we are taking every effort to maintain social distancing measures and protecting ourselves, our loved ones and the most vulnerable among us from contracting COVID-19.”

Mendez was father to three boys and three girls. He also leaves behind his wife, Angela, and other family members.

Angela Mendez said her husband was a healthy man who didn’t smoke or drink. He worked out, ate healthy and took vitamins every day, she said.

"You hear that the people who die are older or have previous health conditions but he was neither and the virus took him down hard,” she said. "It can happen to anyone, it’s not just a story that happens to people across the world. It’s here and it’s real and it can kill anyone, just like it did my husband."

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

He was 44.

Brenda Johnson, Mendez’s daughter, said her father was tested last week for the coronavirus and received a positive diagnosis on Tuesday.

She said her father had been “perfectly healthy” and had no underlying health conditions.

Furk, that’s around my age.  And I have no underlying conditions.

But I’ve got another 20 years or so before my daughter is old enough for marriage.  

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

Your PCP should be able to order one if they are Baylor employed. I’ve ordered both people to get at testing site and I have donned PPE and swabbed patients myself when I thought they qualified.  The office must have the right viral swab however. CPL and Quest are running the tests privately as well but I think the turn around time on Quest is long. Baylor should be running the test in one of their north Texas facilities this week. Prior, everything was being run in Temple.

Overall the testing is limited still.

if are running a fever, go and self quarantine yourself. what are you waiting for. dammit.

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

chinatown new york

mardi gras anywhere on the 3rd coast

• Like 1

I’ve managed to reduce my travel outside of my house to zero. We don’t leave. We’re lucky to have a large backyard that gives the kids space to roam.

My groceries get delivered from HEB. If I need anything in between grocery deliveries, I’ll have it delivered on Favor.

If I still manage to get this fucking disease I’m gonna be pissed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Do we know why Germany is such an outlier on Corona deaths? Are they reporting them differently?

I read somewhere that Germans are not counting deaths if the patient had Corona and other co-morbidities such as high BP, heart disease, COPD, diabetes. Is that true? Hard to explain otherwise.

The main theory is that Germany is testing people at a far higher rate than other countries and they started early.  They've also seen more cases in their youth than Italy. The median age infected in Germany is 47 compared to 63 in Italy.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/why-are-so-few-germans-dying-coronavirus-experts-wonder-n1168361

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deac_tracy said:

The main theory is that Germany is testing people at a far higher rate than other countries and they started early.  They've also seen more cases in their youth than Italy. The median age infected in Germany is 47 compared to 63 in Italy.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/why-are-so-few-germans-dying-coronavirus-experts-wonder-n1168361

thats what happens when the olds just "disappear".

I’ll have to look at the Med City treatment report again. It was the exact same format and questions for both Baylor and Med City, just different logos. You do the few questions for the COVID screening and then if you hit enough symptoms they refer you to the longer questionnaire that is reviewed by a physician. They didn’t take very long to get back to me and neither said come take the test. PCP’s office is at Presby but he’s got Baylor ties.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away