Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

China finally going to include asymptomatic covid counts in their daily figures.  Which is good news but to be honest, the US barely reports asymptomatic patients as well because it’s unlikely you can get tested if you’re asymptomatic in the US. 

Asymptomatic is thrown around way too much, I think it's being misinterpreted.  I know way too many who think ~80% of people don't get sick at all.  I mean, 100% of people who get CV are asymptomatic at the beginning, but we have no idea what percentage is actually immune.   I doubt that number is very high, how many people are immune to the flu?

Antibody testing would certainly help, but we really won't know the answer unless most everyone gets tested  

Evidence points to the healthier you are, the stronger your immune system and the lighter the infection load, the better you will fare.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Asymptomatic is thrown around way too much, I think it's being misinterpreted.  I know way too many who think ~80% of people don't get sick at all.  I mean, 100% of people who get CV are asymptomatic at the beginning, but we have no idea what percentage is actually immune.   I doubt that number is very high, how many people are immune to the flu?

Antibody testing would certainly help, but we really won't know the answer unless most everyone gets tested  

Evidence points to the healthier you are, the stronger your immune system and the lighter the infection load, the better you will fare.

So we do have any realistic expectation yet for when antibody testing will be available to the masses? Like others on this thread, I'm of the mind that the sooner that happens, the sooner we can go back to whatever the new version of normal is. I'm not seeing many references to an official plan around it at any level of government. Hope I missed something.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So we do have any realistic expectation yet for when antibody testing will be available to the masses? Like others on this thread, I'm of the mind that the sooner that happens, the sooner we can go back to whatever the new version of normal is. I'm not seeing many references to an official plan around it at any level of government. Hope I missed something.

Historical "Black mirror"

The big difference between now and then is vaccine therapy.  So not likely to be a factor long term.

Edited by triplehorn

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'd like to know this too.

People with real jobs don’t get spring break 

My wife has worked in the public school systems for her entire professional career. She’s always had spring break and all of the other various school breaks. I always joke with her about her working in the private sector and telling her co-workers to “have a nice summer” at the end of May. I’m not sure she would do well in the private sector.

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

My wife has worked in the public school systems for her entire professional career. She’s always had spring break and all of the other various school breaks. I always joke with her about her working in the private sector and telling her co-workers to “have a nice summer” at the end of May. I’m not sure she would do well in the private sector.

He said real jobs

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

“Now that the Texas Division of Emergency Management released its own GIS hub, our dashboard will move away from duplicating information in order to correlate other numbers such as those of available beds and the potential for increasing the number of beds in relation to the location of available COVID providers,” el-Dahdah said.

“We’re now adding another layer, which is the number of available nurses,” el-Dahdah said. “Because if this explodes, as a doctor friend recently told me, we could be running out of nurses before running out of beds.”

This is going to probably be based on nurse license data from the Texas BON but even that is going to be iffy because often times you don't work in the same county you live - and just because you are an RN doesn't mean you 1) even work in a hospital or 2) have any level of ICU training? so that can go out the window, the same as if they wanted to use physician availability - there is no single source of actually good data on where docs live or practice in Texas.

I looked for the TDEM GIS hub but can't find info on it? I am unaware of where they could get the bed utilization on a daily / consistent basis across Texas but would love to know where they find and get this info if anyone has any ideas?

25 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Are you fucking KIDDING me?  Late yesterday, after having a migraine (she gets them regularly, and the weather was wonky, which often triggers them), my wife's eye became bloodshot and sore.  So much so, she had to put ice on her eye as she went to sleep.  It feels better today, although still a little sore, and still somewhat bloodshot.  Sure looks like pink eye, and was definitely accute.

Sigh.  We'll keep an eye on things.

Come the fuck on, man.

Edited by Brisketexan

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

The CO of the TR must be incredibly concerned and frustrated because he just ended his career with that letter.  I applaud his leadership and his priority of trying to take care of his crew.  

A large part of the senior leadership in the Navy today fucking sucks ass.  Especially on the West Coast.  Today I am more glad than ever that I left the Navy when I did.  I just hope that my peers who now are at the O6 level can make a difference soon.  

There is a person on here who was/is an O6 Surface Warfare Officer - lets see if he comments.  I am not going to call him out.  

Retired O5 SWO here.

Most carrier COs are pretty close to terminal.  It’s not a great path to flag.  I don’t think this was a tough decision for the CO at all.  Sound the alarm and get the assistance you need.  Get people from outside the Navy lifelines to increase pressure on senior Navy leaders to put sailors’ lives above peacetime operations.  

He’ll face minimal blowback, and if he does, so what?  He’ll sleep well at night with a 75% retirement check every month and knowing he did what he needed to do to help his sailors.  

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Are you fucking KIDDING me?  Late yesterday, after having a migraine (she gets them regularly, and the weather was wonky, which often triggers them), my wife's eye became bloodshot and sore.  So much so, she had to put ice on her eye as she went to sleep.  It feels better today, although still a little sore, and still somewhat bloodshot.  Sure looks like pink eye, and was definitely accute.

Come the fuck on, man.

Allergies are really bad right now too so don't freak out, but keep an eye on it (no pun intended).

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Abbott refused to think of this as a statewide problem.  He didn’t try to shut down spring break areas with a statewide order when we all knew leaving those areas open was a bad idea, even as Houston was taking the financial hit on the Rodeo and Austin took the hit on SXSW.   His attitude is reminiscent of Florida pulling a Frank Drebin and saying there was nothing to see    

Abbott keeps saying he’s waiting to see the data, waiting to hear from the federal government.  The only problem is that by waiting to see how things go, or waiting for D.C. to issue orders, by the time you see negative trends, it’s too late and we’ve lost weeks, and that flattening of the curve gets dicier.

Ohio on the other hand, recognized the seriousness of this, and moved quickly.   Had they not moved quickly, their numbers would be much higher.   

And it’s not that people in small towns are stupid, as I clarified, it’s that their leaders and businesses are pushing back against stricter measures because it’s in their financial interests to try and keep things going like normal.  After all, even though they only have a handful of ICU units in their small hospitals, they know we will pick up their slack.

This is Texas.  Abbott is a UT grad.  He has easy access to experts in the field.   I expect better. 

the people of Ohio would have been worse off because they are fat, cirrhosis laden, jorts wearin' fuckwads.

7 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Allergies are really bad right now too so don't freak out, but keep an eye on it (no pun intended).

My kid and I both have coughs from the allergies.  I recently had a nasty cold, with a cough, got over it, and then 3-4 days later, allergies.

So people I only occasionally see on my walks/runs think I’ve had a cough for three weeks.  

Dallas Data just updated.    https://www.dallascounty.org/Assets/uploads/docs/hhs/2019-nCoV/DCHHS COVID19-Flu Report_033130_HAN.pdf

Each Tues/Fri they provide updated hospital data (through the prior evening).  Given testing limitations I think this is most interesting to follow.  Here are trends since I started tracking.

Total Covid Hospital Admissions

3/24:  61

3/27: 111 

3/31:  192 

Total Covid ICU Admissions

3/24:  21

3/27: 40 

3/31:  59 

Total Ventilation

3/24:  9

3/27: 23 

3/31: 42 

• Like 2

Abbott refused to think of this as a statewide problem.  He didn’t try to shut down spring break areas with a statewide order when we all knew leaving those areas open was a bad idea, even as Houston was taking the financial hit on the Rodeo and Austin took the hit on SXSW.   His attitude is reminiscent of Florida pulling a Frank Drebin and saying there was nothing to see    
Abbott keeps saying he’s waiting to see the data, waiting to hear from the federal government.  The only problem is that by waiting to see how things go, or waiting for D.C. to issue orders, by the time you see negative trends, it’s too late and we’ve lost weeks, and that flattening of the curve gets dicier.
Ohio on the other hand, recognized the seriousness of this, and moved quickly.   Had they not moved quickly, their numbers would be much higher.   

And it’s not that people in small towns are stupid, as I clarified, it’s that their leaders and businesses are pushing back against stricter measures because it’s in their financial interests to try and keep things going like normal.  After all, even though they only have a handful of ICU units in their small hospitals, they know we will pick up their slack.
This is Texas.  Abbott is a UT grad.  He has easy access to experts in the field.   I expect better. 

To be fair, nobody “spring breaks” in Ohio.

For research purposes only, I follow some Texas Pom members on instagram, and noticed a few of them posting pictures of a group beach vacation a few weeks ago.  The pictures were lovely, but I was left shaking my head.

Interestingly, now I can't seem to find any of those posts on their accounts anymore. Some of the stuff was on their stories so goes away, but maybe they're not so proud of the trip now that everyone brought COVID back with them?

Edited by LonghornSean

Just now, CooterBrown said:

A coworker's friend in Round Rock finally got her test results back...positive for COVID-19.  She was tested 14 days ago. Luckily she self quarantined herself and hasn't been around anyone since the test.  She's symptom free now.   

14 days LOL.  Case and point why it's worthless to gain any meaningful data based on confirmed cases alone.  No doubt that "positive" will probably finally be added to the "official" stats sometime tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

You can also get pink eye from eating ass. 

We had a really bad breakout of pinkeye on a frigate after a port visit to Golfito, Costa Rica.  It was a nightmare.  The rumor around the ship was that one of our shipmates went in for a little something extra during his fun time with a local working girl.  

43 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Damn right. The best way to get healthy is to be healthy

According to Michael Osterholm:

• Obesity may be the highest risk factor for younger people who die

“We’re seeing an increased number of severe illnesses and deaths in people between the ages of 25 and 50…and the risk factor appears to be obesity.”

So if we are to believe that this will be with us for 1.5 years at least, there are a whole bunch of people that can really improve their plight in even just the next 6 months.

furk, another nursing home in Austin

https://www.kxan.com/news/2-patients-positive-for-covid-19-at-austins-west-oaks-nursing-and-rehabilitation-center/

Two patients at West Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in south Austin have tested positive for COVID-19, according to a company statement.

Hopefully confined to those two

7 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

A coworker's friend in Round Rock finally got her test results back...positive for COVID-19.  She was tested 14 days ago. Luckily she self quarantined herself and hasn't been around anyone since the test.  She's symptom free now.   

This is how it's done.

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Come the fuck on, man.

definitely keep an eye on things.  

seriously though, redness of the eye and swelling was a symptom i read about a few weeks back.  can't remember or find the medical term (started with "dis" or "dys").  pink eye seems to be something new.

55 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One of our private lab partners got 5000 Ab tests.  I'm going in a couple hrs to get it done.  I'm gonna be one happy MF is I'm positive.  Should be a lot more Ab testing over the next few weeks but not very large bump until May...that's my guess. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Those takes have nothing to do with the original premise of your "compare Ohio vs. Texas and Florida" take, which was in the context of states being much worse off than Ohio. No shit Texas has done some ham-handed work by going piecemeal. That doesn't merit lumping them in with Florida, and Texas is on a better trajectory than Ohio. 

The continued lamentations of the oncoming apocalypse in Texas have no actual basis in fact or anything to do with the actual trendlines. It's a regular cheap pull from the hysterics grab bag that you and a few others go to regularly. 

Could there be blow-ups at nursing homes that shift numbers? Washington state proves that, yes, that can happen. Could your uncle Cletus and the rest of the apparent small town imbeciles that you deride have a good old-fashioned, shitkicking hoe-down in Dimebox or Muleshoe that leads to 500 new infections overnight? Sure. All that shit could happen anywhere and has nothing to do with current trends or facts.

• Like 5

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away