Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

22 minutes ago, Digdogger said:

This is terrible news.  I hope none of them were the sexy ones

Ms Orbon,RN flew back to NY and is there now at NY Presby. God Bless. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2020/03/31/coronavirus-covid-19-chris-cuomo-new-york-city-9-11-tuesdays-news/5092222002/

fd381f9b-2b8c-401e-ad6f-5f8ad9744d03-IMG

— Janelle Engström Orbon, critical care nurse

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

I got news for them - that big-ass bump in pay you got moving up here from Austin ain’t gonna stretch as far as you think, even if you can’t go anywhere...

its temp work all expenses paid. nothing. 

all risk.

lotta reward

if i was not a new poppa, or i would jump.

Edited by brakeman
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, RayDog said:

The fact is that we must develop a strategic mitigation plan to take us up through the point when a vaccine can be deployed. That plan must allow for low level spread. Several Far East Asian countries are already showing that mandatory mask usage coupled with reasonable self-isolation measures can slow the spread enough to not overwhelm their medical systems. The usage of masks also limits the initial viral load being received which is expected to lead to fewer bad outcomes. Since over half of us will probably get infected, and the herd immunity is a good thing, the goal among young healthy people should be to limit that initial viral load, rather than taking extreme measures to avoid infection.

After the initial spread is halted we need to resume work, using masks and distancing to limit the spread. Large gatherings and eating and drinking in public should be avoided and at risk populations should remain more isolated as much as possible. The second wave may end up fairly flat or we may have to go through a number of saw-tooth-like peaks where the virus spreads and stricter quarantine measures are applied to stop it. The experience in the Far East tells us that keeping it fairly flat should be possible.

The first known infection in Wuhan (not detection) occurred between 10 and 11 weeks before the quarantine. So that gives us a window that masks, isolation, and quarantine measures must be deployed well before the 10 week mark for infections in any large community in order to avoid higher mortality rates. Smaller communities must act sooner. This varies for every state and major city in the US, but the clock is ticking on the ones who are not taking enough action. Masks should already be mandatory in public and in work environments where people share an open space or HVAC system.  

preach it!

cdc is a dope.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Welp, FT has changed their charting methodology. The silver lining committee will have to reassess, and potentially move to the per capita rate charts linked up thread as the committee progresses its sunshine pumping in the middle of the pandemic.  In the mean time, the evening interim update from the committee is FUCK CHINA. Their data is garbage.

Capturec.jpg

LOL China, come the fuck on assholes.  When is that line going into the negative?  What a god damn joke.  

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

San Antonio numbers update:

207 cases, up from Monday’s count of 168

3 more deaths bringing the total to 9

Looks like San Antonio passed Dallas in total cases.

Dallas has 3 times the cases as SA.

Meanwhile in Panama (Yahoo news):

Panama City (AFP) - The government of Panama on Monday announced strict quarantine measures that separate citizens by gender in an effort to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus.

From Wednesday, men and women will only be able to leave their homes for two hours at a time, and on different days.

Until now, quarantine regulations were not based on gender.

Men will be able to go to the supermarket or the pharmacy on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, and women will be allowed out on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

No one will be allowed to go out on Sundays.

The new measures will last for 15 days.

"This absolute quarantine is for nothing more than to save your life," security minister Juan Pino said at a press conference.

According to Pino, more than 2,000 people were detained last week for not abiding by the quarantine.

Since the first case was reported on March 10, Panama has confirmed 1,075 cases of the coronavirus, 43 of which are in intensive care, and 27 deaths.

We were going on a big family fishing trip to Tropic Star in Panama from 4/30-5/7. Sucks that we had to postpone.

1 hour ago, UTGrad98 said:

Ms Orbon,RN flew back to NY and is there now at NY Presby. God Bless. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2020/03/31/coronavirus-covid-19-chris-cuomo-new-york-city-9-11-tuesdays-news/5092222002/

fd381f9b-2b8c-401e-ad6f-5f8ad9744d03-IMG

— Janelle Engström Orbon, critical care nurse

Orbon? Hungarian (like the President who shares the same name)? I dunno, but she is making me hungry!

Edited by UDontKnow

They interviewed the head doc for ARC (Austin Regional Clinic) earlier on the news who said more drive thru testing sites were opening up soon in Cedar Park and Round Rock and a couple other places.

Also said that for all of their clinics/sites they've got across 12 town/cities in the greater Metro area they have tested 2100 people with 1100 Negatives, 84 positives, and the rest still pending.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They had 3 cases on the 24th, so that escalated fast.   Don’t think he’s worried about his career at this point   

Wasn’t @blacklab on subs or something.  Can only imagine how it would go through one of those.  

Haha.  About a quarter of the crew gets sick all at once every deployment.  We don't do shit about it.  We were on a "special training" one time with some dudes and they got sick too.  We rode that shit out and Doc and that medical group only treated people who were extreme.  It just meant standing more watches and seeing people drag their asses to the bathroom while puking and shitting themselves for two weeks.  Now I'm not sure how they would respond to the coronavirus but shit with swine flu.  We didn't do shit.

Edited by FartingMonk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StruggleBus said:

The shelter in place deal is more like a gentle suggestion in SA. There will be an explosion here in April. 

pretty much a "gentle suggestion" everywhere.  best thing they can do is to regulate/enforce businesses.  can you imagine trying to enforce a shelter in place (to citizens) anywhere in the US... practically impossible.

No sir, the PCR test for active infection was negative and I’m completely asymptomatic.  
Ok, you never tested positive, but new test showed antibodies.

Will your results show up in any published statistics? For example, are you now going to show up in latest number of infected cases, even though you were infected a while back?

Italy has turned the corner, with numbers of new cases now in decline, following in China's footsteps

If Italy decided to follow in China's footsteps, then all we would be hearing from here on out would be pure lies.

• Like 3

There's a guy on our board who has some type of job where he tracks cases across the country, I'll keep posting these here if you guys think it's useful.

The math today was not good. Period.

Globally this thing is taking off. Over 74,000 new cases globally today. And that means it is starting to ramp in a lot of places I am not tracking. Why? Well, US cases were up date over day by about 2,800. But 74,000 was a leap of almost 12,000 globally.

These again are total cases day over day increase and new cases day vs. yesterday increase or decrease.

Italy - 3.98% and 0% - Again they are making real progress.

Iran - Their data is crap. Read a report today that a Saudi news site has tracked what each Iranian province has said on deaths and that the country has over 15,000 deaths (vs the 2000 or so their central government has admitted)

France - Awful day. 16.97 and +72.4% (record case day)

Switzerland - Data continues to vary day to day. 4.29% and -38%

Netherlands - 3.77% and -5.62% (see Italy. They are getting there on the flattening)

Sweden 10.10% and 24%. Again, they have been slow to socially distance (sort of the Brazil of Europe - that's too harsh, but they have taken fewer steps than the others). Record new case day.

Belgium 7.36% and -18%. See Holland and Italy.

Portugal 16.15% and 132%. Brutal new case load.

Dominican Republic 23% and 395%. Over 200 new cases today. I am terrified what this may mean for a host of nations like them.

Spain 9.06% and 1.5%. Again, progress as the rate of increase in new cases is now basically flat. It is happening.

Germany 7.36% and 10.6% Slight step back today, but they too seem to be making headway.

UK 13.48% and 13.37%. Again, I think they look like France in a week.

Japan 14.13% and 217%. Highest case load ever. By a big number too. Over 200 new cases. Gulp.

Canada 15.35% and 1.33% Sort of tracking like the US only no NYC metro case load.

Aussie 4.5% and -47%. Hope this is not anecdotal.

Singapore 5.35% and 34%. Again, they are hoping to contain and are concerned they could get to community spread. I think they'll get it cornered again as they are so aggressive with tracking cases.

USA 15.07% and 12.9%. Record new case load. New York was up 13.3% day over day on new cases. Washington saw a big drop off in new cases (-63%). Massachusetts saw new cases up only 9% day over day (only). New Jersey cut new cases 36% day over day. Florida up over 80% on new cases day over day and saw total cases rise 21% today - very, very scary numbers. MN 9.2% and -27%. Indiana up 21% on total and 36% on new cases. Kentucky up 31% total cases and 252% new cases (please be anecdotal). California 16% total and 12.3% new. I don't track anything close to all the US states. I know there are many potential hot spots out there.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

• Like 3

Yeah, heard zilker is fucking packed daily but haven't seen it myself.
Jim Spencer had an Auditorium Shores camera showing a bunch of folks on the grass but they were all spread out in groups of 1-3.

But then pointed out groups of 4-6 doing the trails and passing each other.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RayDog said:

The fact is that we must develop a strategic mitigation plan to take us up through the point when a vaccine can be deployed. That plan must allow for low level spread. Several Far East Asian countries are already showing that mandatory mask usage coupled with reasonable self-isolation measures can slow the spread enough to not overwhelm their medical systems. The usage of masks also limits the initial viral load being received which is expected to lead to fewer bad outcomes. Since over half of us will probably get infected, and the herd immunity is a good thing, the goal among young healthy people should be to limit that initial viral load, rather than taking extreme measures to avoid infection.

After the initial spread is halted we need to resume work, using masks and distancing to limit the spread. Large gatherings and eating and drinking in public should be avoided and at risk populations should remain more isolated as much as possible. The second wave may end up fairly flat or we may have to go through a number of saw-tooth-like peaks where the virus spreads and stricter quarantine measures are applied to stop it. The experience in the Far East tells us that keeping it fairly flat should be possible.

The first known infection in Wuhan (not detection) occurred between 10 and 11 weeks before the quarantine. So that gives us a window that masks, isolation, and quarantine measures must be deployed well before the 10 week mark for infections in any large community in order to avoid higher mortality rates. Smaller communities must act sooner. This varies for every state and major city in the US, but the clock is ticking on the ones who are not taking enough action. Masks should already be mandatory in public and in work environments where people share an open space or HVAC system.  

I do not agree, especially on the eating and drinking in public (sorry, but restaurants and bars are a vital part of any economy, and they need to be able to resume, especially since they are key to a sense of normalcy).  Further, masks all day while at work?  Fuck that.

Further, if you are going to make them "mandatory", which you will most likely NOT be able to do in the US, the supply would have to increase and everyone would have to be given them.  I do not see that happening in a lot of European countries or the US at all.

11 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

There’s nothing fucking political about it. Name calling. You’re cool

And to answer your question if Bernie said the lakers were the favorite to win the NBA, why would it be political?

Dude. It's Candace Owens.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Meanwhile in Panama (Yahoo news):

Panama City (AFP) - The government of Panama on Monday announced strict quarantine measures that separate citizens by gender in an effort to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus.

From Wednesday, men and women will only be able to leave their homes for two hours at a time, and on different days.

Until now, quarantine regulations were not based on gender.

Men will be able to go to the supermarket or the pharmacy on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, and women will be allowed out on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

No one will be allowed to go out on Sundays.

The new measures will last for 15 days.

"This absolute quarantine is for nothing more than to save your life," security minister Juan Pino said at a press conference.

According to Pino, more than 2,000 people were detained last week for not abiding by the quarantine.

Since the first case was reported on March 10, Panama has confirmed 1,075 cases of the coronavirus, 43 of which are in intensive care, and 27 deaths.

Well that’s going to put a kink into the Ashley Madison business model. 

11 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Oh yeah, the facilities and everyone already knows.  Negative now and the time period I was positive we had almost zero readmits back to the hospital including patients we successfully weaned off tracheostomies.  Also several respiratory patients we had between now and then were tested and zero positives until this week in these buildings...and the couple positive I actually never saw personally.  The rest of our team is breathing a bit easier.  Especially physical therapists who are very hands on with these patients and very worried they may be spreading this - you should still be cautious but evidence shows if you're not very symptomatic you're very likely shedding less virus / less contagious.  Again, full precautions as always but this helps with anxiety.  And places are on pins and needles right now.  It's sad seeing the stress get to people but it really is getting to more than a few.  

I for one welcome ChiTownDoc as our new overlord... Also what blood type are you?

14 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Apparently Janelle likes outdoor activities including hiking and kayaking. She also loves American. This is the hero we both need and want.

10372573_10152575988343748_3785335759255152408_n.thumb.jpg.e1902be560b499a45feaedfe9755af07.jpg11667336_10153465157978748_6446845347197889270_n.thumb.jpg.0e6a1cc5d57d44579da8a5a86e24d8bd.jpg

Welp... looks like I'm gonna go to NYC to get the covids. See yall in a month. 

Waking up to see that we had ~900 deaths yesterday. Very negative turn. Some here predicted that we would have 50K for a total by April 30th or even 15th.  I hope we won’t see that by the 15th but we will hit that definitely by the 30th unless we can scale some treatment.

Other reasons to be negative today: Around 30-35 states also had their worst new case count in Monday or Tuesday. And the tone from the WH (no CR) yesterday makes me think the govt has modeled this to be very bad over the next few weeks.

i hope I’m wrong about the above.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

the govt has modeled this to be very bad over the next few weeks.

I think that the largest hit areas (NY/NJ/LA) are going to have a rough couple of weeks. Then they'll come down. Then other "popup" areas will go thru the same cycle but won't make the numbers jump like the major population areas will.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Hospital systems claim to run super lean or at a loss, then all of a sudden they are paying huge numbers to get people in despite not being able to bill for a lot of stuff recently?  It doesn’t make sense. 

You say this like the critical access hospital in Alpine or Uvalde is the same as St. Davids or THR or BSW...they aren't.

ICU patients are a higher acuity patients and the nurse:patient ratio is much lower than a typical med surg unit or OB unit. there is a huge need for them in NYC or NO and meanwhile, in Texas and most of the rest of the country there isn't at a huge "need" and a ton of nurses are either getting flex'd off or doing non nurse things to get hours. this is because nobody is doing elective surgeries meaning that the volume and therefore the need is low.

so one area has a high need and a low supply and is willing to pay $Texas, the other area doesn't (currently) have a huge need and has a high supply of nurses.

Edited by NoName

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

You say this like the critical access hospital in Alpine or Uvalde is the same as St. Davids or THR or BSW...they aren't.

ICU patients are a higher acuity patients and the nurse:patient ratio is much lower than a typical med surg unit or OB unit. there is a huge need for them in NYC or NO and meanwhile, in Texas and most of the rest of the country there isn't at a huge "need" and a ton of nurses are either getting flex'd off or doing non nurse things to get hours. this is because nobody is doing elective surgeries meaning that the volume and therefore the need is low.

so one area has a high need and a low supply and is willing to pay $Texas, the other area doesn't (currently) have a huge need and has a high supply of nurses.

Big city hospitals (even in Texas) are now pulling in their non-ICU nurses to join ICUs right now. And that isn’t what I heard of Facebook or from a friend of a friend but first hand knowledge.  That doesn’t mean that nurses aren’t available or willing to chase a large payday. I can’t blame them especially if they were recently furloughed. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Big city hospitals (even in Texas) are now pulling in their non-ICU nurses to join ICUs right now. And that isn’t what I heard of Facebook or from a friend of a friend but first hand knowledge.  That doesn’t mean that nurses aren’t available or willing to chase a large payday. I can’t blame them especially if they were recently furloughed. 

agreed

26 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Waking up to see that we had ~900 deaths yesterday. Very negative turn. Some here predicted that we would have 50K for a total by April 30th or even 15th.  I hope we won’t see that by the 15th but we will hit that definitely by the 30th unless we can scale some treatment.

Other reasons to be negative today: Around 30-35 states also had their worst new case count in Monday or Tuesday. And the tone from the WH (no CR) yesterday makes me think the govt has modeled this to be very bad over the next few weeks.

i hope I’m wrong about the above.

Some US locations just ramping up.  Others, holding steady.  

NYC yesterday added 3,684 cases.  that is just under 1,000 cases less than the number added the day before.  Ultimately, it is increase of just shy of 10% of the prior day total, and a reduction of 20% of the prior day increase.  

On deaths, NYC added 182 deaths, or a 20% increase on the total.  The 182 is an increase of 32% over the number added the day before however.  The worse single day for NY has been March 28 when 222 new deaths were tallied.

Since I live in Manhattan, Manhattan added 479 cases yesterday which is only 1 more case than was added the day before.  Deaths added were 10, which was 6 less than added the day before.  Brooklyn is also slowing significantly.  Queens and the Bronx are worrying.

11 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Whoa... Hold on mother fucker. Thems fighting words. You will not bad mouth young Italian women you punk ass bitch.

Let me provide you with exhibit A, B and C

elisa_sednaoui_by_bruno_barbazan_02.thumb.jpg.8cf7d1bb269f9df8787354049573266e.jpg63acca5589b544824d074b3650a2299c.jpg.c09d5b542e03bfc201d0209c8b782d82.jpgmelissa-satta-at-stroili-boutique-opening-in-milan-citylife-shopping-district-011217_7.thumb.jpg.465c868953a19dddc82ff68fb9279d54.jpgxmelissa-satta-p.jpg.pagespeed.ic_.YzJHrsQswP.jpg.a2c38d546835d9ce74ceb71ae271ecf9.jpgMelissa-Satta-hot-2.thumb.jpeg.9e3c117c7f8a8b569c72e7d89944afbd.jpegcristina-buccino-at-unicef-summer-gala-in-porto-cervo-italy-2.thumb.jpg.de73bbd9f2d041a27254779bd1851637.jpgcristina-buccino-attends-amfar-gala-at-la-permanente-in-milan-italy-220918_9.thumb.jpg.ecc8ade85bb92d28ec97b2c74c1af9e3.jpgimages.jpeg.9150819f3793f944033bac96b88b6ddb.jpeg1080full-cristina-buccino.thumb.jpg.e1650db33f63e74dc271c0a14e3761b8.jpg

Question me on "healthy looking Italians" one more time. Go ahead, I dare you.

Well hell, there went that load I was saving for the weekend.....

Some US locations just ramping up.  Others, holding steady.  
NYC yesterday added 3,684 cases.  that is just under 1,000 cases less than the number added the day before.  Ultimately, it is increase of just shy of 10% of the prior day total, and a reduction of 20% of the prior day increase.  
On deaths, NYC added 182 deaths, or a 20% increase on the total.  The 182 is an increase of 32% over the number added the day before however.  The worse single day for NY has been March 28 when 222 new deaths were tallied.
Since I live in Manhattan, Manhattan added 479 cases yesterday which is only 1 more case than was added the day before.  Deaths added were 10, which was 6 less than added the day before.  Brooklyn is also slowing significantly.  Queens and the Bronx are worrying.

One could expect in the next week or two that NY has a worse day than March 28?

1 minute ago, Bevo VIII said:

One could expect in the next week or two that NY has a worse day than March 28?

I would assume, but I think that depends on if all the pharamaceuticals things they are trying here are working.  We have been trying the hydroxychloroquine/azithromycin (sp) combo as well as antibody injections.  Would be nice to start seeing more of the trial antivirals being used as well.  It would be great to see how the antibody plasma transfusions work (Houston Methodist is doing that) for the most critical patients, and then also start ramping that up.  

I am strongly in the camp that with viable pharamaceutical treatment plus antibody testing, then we will be able to get back to as close to normal as possible faster.  Seems like a lot of other folks are on board with that throught as well.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away