Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, NoName said:

holy fuck.

It really is incredible how the labor market went from a complete "Sellers Market" with all negotiating power/leverage on the side of the employee to a "Buyers Market" where all the power and leverage is with the companies hiring over the past couple of weeks.

Just crazy shit.

42 minutes ago, NoName said:

look at these decreases in traffic worldwide!

EUmbjkyXYAAO79o.jpg

tweet here

Hide contents

When this is all over, I really want to see a comparison between traffic deaths now and at this time last year. Maybe we incidentally save more than we lose. Winning?

• Like 2

Just now, aggie08 said:

When this is all over, I really want to see a comparison between traffic deaths now and at this time last year. Maybe we incidentally save more than we lose. Winning?

in 2016, the motor vehicle fatality rate was 102 per day link

Just now, NorthLoop said:

I think they're just overwhelmed 

Fair enough. "Let's collect the most accurate data possible to allow other countries to study us and act accordingly" probably isn't very high on their to-do list at the moment.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NorthLoop said:

This.  I do not think there is anything sinister behind it.

Quite frankly, we have heard that both Washington and NYC numbers are not 100%.  On the NYC Health site, it point blank says the latest data is subject to change as more information comes in.  Also, we are all hearing about the times to get testing results back.  That is definitely coming into this.

1 minute ago, NorthLoop said:

It's this think. They're not gonna know the full extent till weeks, and months after this thing has passed.  

China needs a pineapple enema.  They're lying, and they suck shit.

This thing either stated in their wet markets or in a Wuhan medical research lab studying coronavirus in bats.

• Like 1

We had our 5th positive confirmed last night. The troubling part is this is the 5th different location within the department. When those clusters start popping, we’re gonna be in trouble. 

Edited by Constant
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

look at these decreases in traffic worldwide!

EUmbjkyXYAAO79o.jpg

tweet here

Reveal hidden contents

So we’re supposed to believe that China allowed the virus to spread across the entire globe but was successful at preventing its spread throughout their own country?

Fucking LOL

• Like 1

Just now, Auto Driller said:

So we’re supposed to believe that China allowed the virus to spread across the entire globe but was successful at preventing its spread throughout their own country?

Fucking LOL

Not to defend China’s fabricated bullshit numbers, but you think they give a fuck about infecting the rest of the world? Chances are after a month of coverup they said “well, we’re going to be fucked but this will fuck other societies more, so let’s get this thing out there as quietly as possible.”

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Constant said:

We had our 5th positive confirmed last night. The troubling part is it’s the 5th different location within the department. When those clusters start popping, we’re gonna be in trouble. 

I'm very interested to see how they handle quarantining moving forward when the real essentials--police, grocery store workers, and medical staff--inevitably start popping up positive left and right. Can't exactly send everyone that they've come into contact with home.

Just now, aggie08 said:

I'm very interested to see how they handle quarantining moving forward when the real essentials--police, grocery store workers, and medical staff--inevitably start popping up positive left and right. Can't exactly send everyone that they've come into contact with home.

1st year med student? Congrats, you have been promoted to Doctor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Reuters has been taking pictures of popular public places at high noon, and it’s pretty surreal to see. 

The pics would look like our basketball crowd much of this past season.  Shaka did a good job social distancing the fans from the team. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

This is the current strategy as I understand it. Tracking contacts backwards and isolating as much as possible. Obviously that isn’t sustainable once we cross a certain threshold. 

6 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

The moon only reflects light, like Venus, Mars, etc. Only stars emit light.

But back to the coronavirus and efforts to deal with the effects. Michigan Governor Whitmer says why wait 15-30 days. She proposes 70 day extension in the stay at home order.

Holey shit ... 10 weeks

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/04/01/whitmer-declares-disaster-asks-legislature-extend-emergency-powers/5107960002/

[Dirk] I'm a bright and shining star[Diggler]

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RayDog said:

Here is a good video about the suspected origin of the virus coming from the Wuhan lab.

I have followed him and his friend Serpentenza on youtube for many years their insights into China from the perspective of foreigners living there.

Thanks for sharing. It's a shame that China will not be held accountable for this when everything is over. Thousands, if not millions, of people will die and it could've been largely prevented if they had not covered everything up for 2+ months.

19 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I think it was several days ago when they said like 10% of the NYPD was out with COVID-19

OK, I'm bailing on this thread for at least a few days.

This thread started out as an awesome place to amalgamate information, but this week it has turned into fucking Lord of the Flies.  I'm not innocent of it -- I jumped down a poster's throat because I confused him with a CR troll with a similar name; I've apologized to him via DM.   Regardless, I don't need this much external venom in my life, not ever, but especially not now.

Maybe I'll try the Cloak Room thread for information and reasoned discussion?

Whatever, y'all wonderful assholes stay safe, please.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Who knows. Maybe there will be a push to "Buy American" and a pushback on outsourced goods.

But yeah, they won't be held accountable. 

I'd sure as hell try to capitalize on the  buy American not China man stuff. Much harder to just pull out of china if you're a public co. probably, but I'd sure float the idea.  The gov't needs to create boring it back home tax incentives.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

OK, I'm bailing on this thread for at least a few days.

This thread started out as an awesome place to amalgamate information, but this week it has turned into fucking Lord of the Flies.  I'm not innocent of it -- I jumped down a poster's throat because I confused him with a CR troll with a similar name; I've apologized to him via DM.   Regardless, I don't need this much external venom in my life, not ever, but especially not now.

Maybe I'll try the Cloak Room thread for information and reasoned discussion?

Whatever, y'all wonderful assholes stay safe, please.

A goodly portion of that was the influx of a couple of those CR posters.  I think it's been mostly a good thread. It's gonna derail, from time to time with the typical "fuck you, but preferably your sister or mother" comments,  but that's part of the sweet, innocent, charm of the Surly.

• Like 3

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

A goodly portion of that was the influx of a couple of those CR posters.  I think it's been mostly a good thread. It's gonna derail, from time to time with the typical "fuck you, but preferably your sister or mother" comments,  but that's part of the sweet, innocent, charm of the Surly.

The thread gets out of line every time someone attempts to push an agenda instead of discussing the current events at hand.  Which is precisely why the site owner and mods have repeatedly implored those on this thread to keep the politics out of it.

Even veiled agendas are easily detectable, and they receive immediate and visceral reactions when they come up.

In surly terms, don't start no shit, won't be no shit.  It's just that simple.  And yet some dickheads just can't help themselves.

But I do think overall, it's been better in the past week, than it was beforehand.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Who knows. Maybe there will be a push to "Buy American" and a pushback on outsourced goods.

Yeah, I started to not buy Chinese crap last year cause of Hong Kong, but after this it'll look bad to buy anything Chinese. I hope companies fall in line on this as well.

47 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This.  I do not think there is anything sinister behind it.

Quite frankly, we have heard that both Washington and NYC numbers are not 100%.  On the NYC Health site, it point blank says the latest data is subject to change as more information comes in.  Also, we are all hearing about the times to get testing results back.  That is definitely coming into this.

Communist regimes do not want their public to know bad news, especially things like 100K's of people dying.  they are cover up mode because they need the people to work and not riot.  It is sinister  but not if you are a communist.

I am positive that the communist govt of China can count the number of sick and dead to a reasonably close amount....if they wanted to.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Communist regimes do not want their public to know bad news, especially things like 100K's of people dying.  they are cover up mode because they need the people to work and not riot.  It is sinister  but not if you are a communist.

I am positive that the communist govt of China can count the number of sick and dead to a reasonably close amount....if they wanted to.

Pretty sure he meant nothing sinister with Italian reporting. 

42 minutes ago, Constant said:

This is the current strategy as I understand it. Tracking contacts backwards and isolating as much as possible. Obviously that isn’t sustainable once we cross a certain threshold. 

Do close contacts within the dept and other first responders have access to tests (even without symptoms)?  it seems like a part of the strategy (while sustainable) should be quarantine for a short period then test.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

“Charged with one count of Train Wrecking.”

I mean, that’s a pretty fucking specific criminal charge to have on the books. 

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Everyone on this thread should be charged.

I'll get the paperwork started

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Do close contacts within the dept and other first responders have access to tests (even without symptoms)?  it seems like a part of the strategy (while sustainable) should be quarantine for a short period then test.

The official answer...there are a couple of testing sites for city employees only, but the same criteria (fever, negative flu/strep, shortness of breath)for a test apply. 

Unofficially, I think first responders would be tested even if asymptomatic if they are at high risk of exposure. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'd sure as hell try to capitalize on the  buy American not China man stuff. Much harder to just pull out of china if you're a public co. probably, but I'd sure float the idea.  The gov't needs to create boring it back home tax incentives.

There have been several attempts in Congress to create those incentives over the last decade but most have been voted down or killed outright. I'll end it there because, by its nature, this policy discussion would lead to "politics."

Edit: Let's just stick to current events and what's happening on the ground now.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

everyone says this but no one is going to do this in practice. everything will be more expensive. US consumers created china.

we wanted cheaper shit, they provided the cheap labor which enabled us to mass buy cheap shit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Constant said:

The official answer...there are a couple of testing sites for city employees only, but the same criteria (fever, negative flu/strep, shortness of breath)for a test apply. 

Unofficially, I think first responders would be tested even if asymptomatic if they are at high risk of exposure. 

Have you heard anything regarding lag time for test results for your colleagues?  Anecdotally, it seems like for ordinary joes getting test in dr. offices or even the official site, results are lagging up to a week and maybe more.  But potentially quicker (within a day) for those admitted to hospitals, etc.  Curious what city employees are seeing.

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

everyone says this but no one is going to do this in practice. everything will be more expensive. US consumers created china.

we wanted cheaper shit, they provided the cheap labor which enabled us to mass buy cheap shit.

There’s cheap labor elsewhere in the world. 
hey baby! You got manufacturing facility Vietnam?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away