Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

17 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

From what I’ve been able to gather, he’s not an MD but likely a CRNA. At my hospital, and most good hospitals, they’re not allowed to intubate. They only manage the vent once the patient is intubated by the attending anesthesiologist. Now, if he works at some shitty ass community hospital, all bets are off. 

CSB-CRNA was one of those “unknown” career paths to medium-big $$ when I was looking into alternatives to law school for my nephew around 2010.  

He went to law school. 

From what I’ve been able to gather, he’s not an MD but likely a CRNA. At my hospital, and most good hospitals, they’re not allowed to intubate. They only manage the vent once the patient is intubated by the attending anesthesiologist. Now, if he works at some shitty ass community hospital, all bets are off. 
I'm a PA and have worked in the OR at multiple hospitals in large cities. Wife is also in CRNA school. At every place I have worked at, the CRNAs do the majority of intubations for the cases they are running. Depending on the facility, the MD may or may not be in the room during induction and intubation, but even when they are there, the CRNA does the intubation 90+% of the time. I would not say most good hospitals have MD-only intubations, based on my experience in many DFW and Houston-area hospitals.

So if I need to go to the HEB to pick up something will people scream at me if I don't wear a mask? I have one painter's mask and I was saving it in case I or a family member got sick to prevent spread while SiP or to travel to the hospital if necessary. Have only been out once a week to grocery in last month. Would like to do the right thing, but I don't have access to more masks right now. Husband says, just go and maintain distance. Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

So if I need to go to the HEB to pick up something will people scream at me if I don't wear a mask? I have one painter's mask and I was saving it in case I or a family member got sick to prevent spread while SiP or to travel to the hospital if necessary. Have only been out once a week to grocery in last month. Would like to do the right thing, but I don't have access to more masks right now. Husband says, just go and maintain distance. Thoughts?

you got a bandanna? 

Just now, Mrs Whiggins said:

You will be fine.  I am going later today and I am not wearing a mask or gloves.  None of the employees do either.  Just keep your distance and nobody will bother you.  Don't live in fear, just be smart.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

depending on what you need, why wouldn't you use favor or instacart?

6 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

You’re fine but wear a scarf if you’re worried. 

12 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Get it delivered to your door on Favor. Why even bother going to HEB?

48 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

You’re flat out wrong, dude. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Wear something -- mask, bandana, etc.

It's actually not so much about you as it is building the social consensus to wear face covers that keep YOU from spreading droplets to others.  If they also wear masks, then that protects you.  We've got some dust masks, and a couple of old N95s (they'd been used on home projects, but are still usable).

We wear them if we're going to be somewhere there will be other people -- so pretty much the store.  Bring a small hand sanitizer, wipe down our hands regularly, clean the cart handles, etc.  Get in, keep your distance, get your stuff, and get out.  And yes, wear a mask.

That's how we're going to ease out of quarantine, by the way -- we'll allow folks to go out for more things, work, etc., but we're going to look like Asia, with everyone wearing a mask.  We need to start building that habit.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:
49 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

I'm a PA and have worked in the OR at multiple hospitals in large cities. Wife is also in CRNA school. At every place I have worked at, the CRNAs do the majority of intubations for the cases they are running. Depending on the facility, the MD may or may not be in the room during induction and intubation, but even when they are there, the CRNA does the intubation 90+% of the time. I would not say most good hospitals have MD-only intubations, based on my experience in many DFW and Houston-area hospitals.

It’s all based on the comfort level of the MD. Like anything else, the better the supervisor is the more likely they are to let the midlevels do stuff. They’re confident they can quickly take care of anything if needed.

Which hospitals in Dfw and Houston have Md only intubations? If you’re working 3:1 or 4:1 it’d be difficult for Md to do every single thing. 

20 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

You’ll be fine, but for future just order a couple cloth masks. Or make them. I have no idea why anyone wouldn’t just wear a mask to these big stores like HEB.  Maybe it’s being self conscious? It’s pretty obvious that it would help reduce the spread. I definitely subscribe to the idea that the countries that have handled it best are in large part due to the culture of wearing masks. Freaking Hong Kong has FOUR deaths. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

It’s all based on the comfort level of the MD. Like anything else, the better the supervisor is the more likely they are to let the midlevels do stuff. They’re confident they can quickly take care of anything if needed.

Which hospitals in Dfw and Houston have Md only intubations? If you’re working 3:1 or 4:1 it’d be difficult for Md to do every single thing. 

maybe cardiac cases? or complex cases?

i know some CV surgeons who would only work with MDA's - granted they were old school (and old) + the only CV guys in the system so they could call their shots, but...

I took a mask with me this past weekend to go to Home Depot.  The employees and customers are way behind the social distancing practice, as compared to HEB.  At least in my neck of the woods.

I wore a mask, but as I went thru the store, I wish I had gloves too.  Next time.

It's very easy to decon a mask.  Just get a spray bottle, fill it with rubbing alcohol, spray both sides and let it air dry. 

All of this is very easy to do.  Just get past the initial level of self-imposed embarrassment, and you'll be good to go.

• Like 1

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1175291?__twitter_impression=true

The 25-county region surrounding Houston had reported fewer than 950 confirmed coronavirus cases among its 9.3 million residents as of Monday. But on that same day, there were 996 people hospitalized in the region with confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19, according to the advisory council count. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, freyguy said:

I took a mask with me this past weekend to go to Home Depot.  The employees and customers are way behind the social distancing practice, as compared to HEB.  At least in my neck of the woods.

I wore a mask, but as I went thru the store, I wish I had gloves too.  Next time.

It's very easy to decon a mask.  Just get a spray bottle, fill it with rubbing alcohol, spray both sides and let it air dry. 

All of this is very easy to do.  Just get past the initial level of self-imposed embarrassment, and you'll be good to go.

We've been tossing ours in a 180-200 degree oven for 30 mins or so.  You can also steam them (be careful about doing it in the microwave if they have a metal noseband or staples).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

maybe cardiac cases? or complex cases?

i know some CV surgeons who would only work with MDA's - granted they were old school (and old) + the only CV guys in the system so they could call their shots, but...

Yes that’s a different situation entirely and fairly common.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, closetojumping said:

We won’t come within 425,000 of your number by Memorial Day. Let me know if you want to take the over for money or photos of sluts that one of us would be required to share to the other over DM. I’m giving you 17/20ths of your previous post, so it should be an easy one for you.  

Why do you keep trying to bet people on number of deaths? That's messed up.

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I went to HEB in Austin yesterday.  About half the people had masks or bandanas and half didn't.  None of the employees did.  No one said anything to those who didn't.

I think you're right about saving your one mask. 

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Another interesting data point is that I have already gotten this response from two family members:

“How can moving the peak closer in time be good when we were trying to flatten the curve and spread things out?  I thought we wanted the peak to be as late as possible?”

”We won’t run out of beds” just blew right past them. 

Trying telling them peaking earlier means we have flatten the curve.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

10 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I went to HEB in Austin yesterday.  About half the people had masks or bandanas and half didn't.  None of the employees did.  No one said anything to those who didn't.

I think you're right about saving your one mask. 

Do I need to repost the CDC vid on how to make a DIY mask? 

There's no reason you can't reuse a mask for shopping. If you're not using a mask today, what exactly are you saving it for? 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Depends on what you look like.  Do people scream at you to put on a mask in normal times?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, pacman said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1175291?__twitter_impression=true

The 25-county region surrounding Houston had reported fewer than 950 confirmed coronavirus cases among its 9.3 million residents as of Monday. But on that same day, there were 996 people hospitalized in the region with confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19, according to the advisory council count. 

This story is like 4-5 days old and was posted here probably 50 pages ago. 

9 minutes ago, B00M said:

Do I need to repost the CDC vid on how to make a DIY mask? 

There's no reason you can't reuse a mask for shopping. If you're not using a mask today, what exactly are you saving it for? 

a real pandemic

19 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Why do you keep trying to bet people on number of deaths? That's messed up.

It’s pretty simple, I’m constantly taking the under. The “messed up” part, if you weren’t a biased bitch, is the people regularly showing up to proclaim massive death numbers without accounting for any mitigation. This isn’t early March, sorry. Guys like you then get all excited. I then make a fair offer far below their call for holocaust death tolls, and none of them take the trade and scamper off to share their bullshit somewhere else. Then guys like you show back up to whine that I took away the fantasy. It’s becomes an almost boring little game. Hold the right people accountable, you selfish twat. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This story is like 4-5 days old and was posted here probably 50 pages ago. 

Byline is dated April 3. 

2 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I'm perplexed by the picture. Is it the scrubs or does that girl have no tits? 

This probably deserves an in-depth investigation. 

59 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

You will be fine.  I am going later today and I am not wearing a mask or gloves.  None of the employees do either.  Just keep your distance and nobody will bother you.  Don't live in fear, just be smart.

Being smart means doing delivery/curbside.  Being slightly less smart would mean wearing something over your mouth and nose (for the dual purpose of preventing droplets in the air from entering but also preventing you from putting your hands there) and washing your hands immediately after leaving the store.  Being not smart (but not a complete dumbass) would be not wearing a mask but keeping distance.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, freyguy said:

I went to HD to pick up an online order on Saturday and the only two people in the store with masks were two 70+ year old shoppers. My wife had to get some things at target the next morning and she said every single person in the store, customers and employees had masks on. 

1 hour ago, Moby Ric said:

Yes, but FaceBook Karen told me to panic.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away