Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Whats this match you are talking about?

“Help Families in Need
We are working around the clock to understand how we can best serve our clients during the pandemic, and we are seeing a dramatic increase in need for our services.

Your Gift is DOUBLED
Three generous local families, including the Gates and Stumberg families, have stepped up to offer a $250,000 matching gift.”
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

“Help Families in Need
We are working around the clock to understand how we can best serve our clients during the pandemic, and we are seeing a dramatic increase in need for our services.

Your Gift is DOUBLED
Three generous local families, including the Gates and Stumberg families, have stepped up to offer a $250,000 matching gift.”

That is bad ass. 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I’m reading stories everyday of previously healthy young people getting killed by this. Death so sudden it’s killing a lot of them in their sleep at home. Haven’t seen the US death stats broken down by age but I imagine a significant percentage at this point is people 20-50 years old. It could take me out as easy as it could take out you. You’re right that it’s different since I don’t have a family to support though. That would change my rationale.

I understand that stories are getting written about younger people dying from this, and some have. They also have other underlying conditions most of the time and obesity isn’t considered a comorbidity, so it’s something else like cancer, asthma, HBP, diabetes, kidney disease, etc. It’s defined in the data being released by states and cities. The source data on the worldometers site links over to a fountain of info across each state. Not all are releasing demographics on the folks dying, but plenty are. In Nevada, Massachusetts and NYC, the data shows very few younger people passing (below age 50), and very few of those are doing so without an underlying condition. So it is percentages on percentages.

Not saying don’t keep doing what you’re doing, but the actual facts do not support the notion that a large number of people in younger age demographics are faring worse than anywhere else in the world, and arguably actually better. Maybe that helps some folks sleep better, because it should if worrying about dying unexpectedly young from this is a thing for them. 

• Like 2

An example of demographics within the death toll is what Georgia released tonight. Basically, the data shows very few deaths below 50, obviously even less below 40 and one below 30 so far within their state. Most of those below 50 had a defined pre-existing condition. One unfortunate dude, aged 31, showed no pre-existing condition, so for sure it can take anyone down, but it’s unlikely. 

Info is here: https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

Also, Georgia caught up on some reporting tonight, so they had a big jump in deaths for Tuesday that folks will notice. It’s  based on a cumulative review of deaths over the time period since they started tracking this. 

• Like 1

I have a single R95 mask.  When I get back from the store I leave it in the garage.  I don’t typically go out but once a week (if that).  Do I need to sterilize the mask?  I thought the virus died within 3 days so as long as I’m not using it every day wouldn’t leaving it in the garage allow any possible virus to die off and also help preserve the mask for more future use.

I keep seeing people say they are saving their masks and sterilizing them but unless you are reusing them in a short time frame I don’t see the point.  Or am I missing something here?

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the average DINK has no idea how often one might need to shop when feeding 6-7 people.

i admit this is true, i can't imagine.

anybody who doesn't have to feed 4+ and restock a whole basket full every week...if you're just looking for some basics (milk, eggs, bread, fresh fruits/vegs)...i'd suggest smaller neighborhood grocers. we have Fresh Plus and Arlan's within a mile.  

the prices are higher and the selection not as broad...but i figure, there are 12 confirmed cases in my zip code. those stores are not 'destination' stores, people arent driving from other neighborhoods to go there... so chances are it's mostly just people in the 'hood. the odds seem significantly lower than an HEB or CostCo, the traffic volume is just so much lower.

plus, they both have Gramma's hummus and great beer selections 🙂 Fresh Plus produce is pretty good, they have a nice butcher counter and carry many organic brands, and they've had eggs every time i've been. Arlan's has more standard fair.

if you can afford it and are looking to lower risk, it's a viable option. 🙂

You gotta be kiddin me with this shit when this is out there. Sexy-Danica-McKellar-Winnie-From-The.jpgD_MacKellar-Stuff2005Jul06-DL.jpg
My god!!!! That delicately beautiful face. And a body that could melt a cheese sandwich from across the room. And breasts that seem to say..."Hey! Look at these!" She's the kind of woman who makes you want to drop to your knees and thank God you were born a man!

She reminds me of my mother, all right. No doubt about it.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I understand that stories are getting written about younger people dying from this, and some have. They also have other underlying conditions most of the time and obesity isn’t considered a comorbidity, so it’s something else like cancer, asthma, HBP, diabetes, kidney disease, etc. It’s defined in the data being released by states and cities. The source data on the worldometers site links over to a fountain of info across each state. Not all are releasing demographics on the folks dying, but plenty are. In Nevada, Massachusetts and NYC, the data shows very few younger people passing (below age 50), and very few of those are doing so without an underlying condition. So it is percentages on percentages.

Not saying don’t keep doing what you’re doing, but the actual facts do not support the notion that a large number of people in younger age demographics are faring worse than anywhere else in the world, and arguably actually better. Maybe that helps some folks sleep better, because it should if worrying about dying unexpectedly young from this is a thing for them. 

You have to think of the medical condition of many younger people. I'm sure the Surly Docs can elaborate, but they have a lot of allergies that older generations rarely saw. Not say that is a direct connection, but they may have medical conditions we weren't aware of that accelerated the disease. 

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

We go to the H-E-B 4-5 times a week. We’re down to three.

If I had to go to heb that often, I’d move to the apartments above HeB Washington Ave in Houston. Just walk downstairs. Truth BBq across the street too. 

11 hours ago, Deej said:

5 minutes after leaving the office, I got told one of the cleaning crew tested positive. Yay!

Along with three weeks of respiratory illness last month and coworkers sick from the flu after visiting China.

What the hell are are you doing at the office? Is your job considered essential? You are a prime example of how this virus is spreading.

Edited by mycox

6 minutes ago, mycox said:

Along with three weeks of respiratory illness last month and coworkers sick from the flu after visiting China.

What the hell are are you doing at the office? Is your job considered essential? You are a prime example of why this virus is spreading.

I’m one of three people still going in. We have plenty of space to avoid each other. I need my job. It’s the only time I leave the house, unlike everybody around here ordering take out and going to the grocery stores. 

• Like 1

The Philippines is up to 3764 cases and 177 deaths. The big news in my neighborhood is that a UK expat died yesterday, likely from the Wuhan virus. I only heard that he had a cough and fever a few days ago, then went to a hospital and was dead two days later. Right now it is word of mouth, and I presume the authorities are awaiting the test result before reporting anything. It appears that it has finally hit the expat community here, and I doubt it will be the last as there are lots of retirees with bad health problems.

Duterte decided to extend the quarantine until April 30th so I will stick with the one girlfriend a couple weeks longer to play it safe. I am helping 7 families with food money right now and that number may go up. Luckily rice is their staple and is less than 80 cents a kilo, so it does not take a lot of money to feed a lot of people enough rice to survive. But not everyone has someone like me to help them. 

My girlfriends doctor wants her to come to the hospital tomorrow for a checkup. but she said no. They have one known covid 19 patient, and even if we wanted to go there is no public transportation and it is too far to walk. She had her thyroid ablated in early January for a toxic goiter and she is being monitored to see where her thyroid hormones level off. We are hoping she does not go to far to the side of hypothyroidism, and hope putting off the lab work and appointment a few more weeks won't hurt. She is packing on the pounds though as she went from 45 kg to 63 kg and climbing, which is part of the reason the current arrangement is temporary.

Edited by RayDog
  • Like 1

One of the women on my to-do list posted on facebook that a man collapsed at a local grocery store quivering and struggling to breath. So it looks like the Philippines will go straight from minimal infections to the nightmare scenario. 

5 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I have a single R95 mask.  When I get back from the store I leave it in the garage.  I don’t typically go out but once a week (if that).  Do I need to sterilize the mask?  I thought the virus died within 3 days so as long as I’m not using it every day wouldn’t leaving it in the garage allow any possible virus to die off and also help preserve the mask for more future use.

I keep seeing people say they are saving their masks and sterilizing them but unless you are reusing them in a short time frame I don’t see the point.  Or am I missing something here?

For what it’s worth, I talked to a doctor who said that his colleagues on the front lines who are low on masks are wearing a mask one day, and then putting that mask in a paper bag for three days, re-using on the fourth day, with hopefully enough masks in the interim, so that don’t have to wear the same mask on consecutive days.

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

For what it’s worth, I talked to a doctor who said that his colleagues on the front lines who are low on masks are wearing a mask one day, and then putting that mask in a paper bag for three days, re-using on the fourth day, with hopefully enough masks in the interim, so that don’t have to wear the same mask on consecutive days.

I wondered a week ago why there hasn’t been a system for this in place for sterilization. Weve know there is a ppe shortage for a month now coming. Why we don’t have tractor tailors with clotheslines and heat lamps outside hospitals. Hang up your masks for a week, then go back and use them again. The trailers can literally be marked by day of the week for drop off and pick up. I’m sure there’s a more efficient way to do it, but shit, throw those motherfuckers in hastily erected greenhouses and go back and re-use. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Makes sense to me. Some people treat the virus like something that is going to jump off items and multiply on its own without a host. I don’t think it works like that.

I still think masks are overkill but agree it can’t hurt. But if you are wearing masks to protect yourself, you really shouldn’t wear clothes inside your house that you wore at the grocery store. If you’re thinking that someone breathed or coughed virus on your masks, wouldn’t it also be on your shirt?  Or your hair?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

milk and fruit.  we go through a gallon a day during normal times.  with everyone home now all day (except me) we're at a gallon and a half a day.  and now we can only buy 2 gallons at a time from whole foods so i'm going every other day.

Stop it. Unless you're a family of infants and toddlers, milk is not good for you. 

5 hours ago, Uncle Boobs said:

My god!!!! That delicately beautiful face. And a body that could melt a cheese sandwich from across the room. And breasts that seem to say..."Hey! Look at these!" She's the kind of woman who makes you want to drop to your knees and thank God you were born a man!

She reminds me of my mother, all right. No doubt about it.

So we're just ignoring this then? Surly is slipping.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RayDog said:

One of the women on my to-do list posted on facebook that a man collapsed at a local grocery store quivering and struggling to breath. So it looks like the Philippines will go straight from minimal infections to the nightmare scenario. 

Remember the people are starving and aren't getting the best medical care, so the person who was photographed was more likely having a seizure from issues with blood sugar levels than having breathing problems from COVID-19. Just my two-cents without being there or seeing the video.

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Makes sense to me. Some people treat the virus like something that is going to jump off items and multiply on its own without a host. I don’t think it works like that.

I still think masks are overkill but agree it can’t hurt. But if you are wearing masks to protect yourself, you really shouldn’t wear clothes inside your house that you wore at the grocery store. If you’re thinking that someone breathed or coughed virus on your masks, wouldn’t it also be on your shirt?  Or your hair?

That's only a part of things. On the BBC last night I saw the anchorman wearing his mask down below his chin. I remember a PPE video from years ago that pretended that a mask was covered in blood rather than clear saliva. If you move the mask from your forehead or your chin to cover your mouth, it will drag the infected material to your mouth. Either wear your mask or don't and if you reuse a mask take it off from the back and never touch your face, remember which way was facing out and clean the area where the mask was sitting when you reuse it. Personally, I don't re-use them because it is too hard to remember all those things.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

That's a small part of things. On the BBC last night I saw the anchorman wearing his mask down below his chin. I remember a PPE video from years ago that pretended that a mask was covered in blood rather than clear saliva. If you move the mask from your forehead or your chin to cover your mouth, it will drag the infected material to your mouth. Either wear your mask or don't and if you reuse a mask take it off from the back and never touch your face, remember which way was facing out and clean the area where the mask was sitting when you reuse it. Personally, I don't re-use them because it is too hard to remember all those things.

If the concern is that the virus is getting on you and your mask from other people, I imagine that it’s a low likelihood that anyone in he public is correctly removing infected items and properly disinfecting themselves.

wearing your shoes that you wore to the post office, pharmacy or store? Congrats you just potentially infected your entire house.

of course the point of the masks is not to protect you but protect others from you. 

15 hours ago, utee94 said:

Useless doctor status talk not going away

there are only a few things that (most) docs universally agree on:

• they hate chiropractors - across the board
  • they hate dentists that are DDS and demand to be called Doctor
  • they hate podiatrists 
  • Like 1

Someone mentioned the low rates in Hong Kong recently. They are publicly posting the addresses of positive cases, in addition to a bunch of other data, like what flights/trains/ships they've taken and what seats they were in for that flight/train/ship. I don't think that'd ever be tolerated here, but man I bet it makes a massive difference both because it allows people to be informed about their own social distancing, but even more so because of the social stigma involved, which itself is twofold: I want to avoid getting CV so that all my friends and neighbors don't find it/judge me, and my positive test is public knowledge so I and my family will definitely fully quarantine because we don't want to risk someone seeing us out in public.

https://chp-dashboard.geodata.gov.hk/covid-19/en.html 

South Korea and Singapore are doing something similar, which are both obviously doing remarkably well. Not sure about Japan. Some of them could publicly post the GPS tracking of positive cases if they wanted.

Edited by KYHorn

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

• they hate podiatrists 

I’m sure they also roll their eyes at PhDs calling themselves doctor.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Seems to me the idea is for everyone to wear a mask so that the amount of virus being dispersed is minimized. Of course it isn't a perfect 0 but it could reduce percentages of infection, which is the whole point.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, NoName said:

• they hate podiatrists 

They also hate lawyers, but only because we know everything.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’m sure they also roll their eyes at PhDs calling themselves doctor.

I had a bud that dated then subsequently married a freaking crazy ass, lying bitch who somehow made it thru college, and obtained a PHD in geriatrics.  She used to walk around in a white lab coat with a stethoscope around her neck.... in public no less.  I really hated that freaking crazy ass, lying bitch.

15 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Here was my post about the test. It was nothing like the flu test I'd gotten a day or so earlier

interesting, my experience is basically along that same "feels like someone punched my brain" the last few times I have had to get a test, but that may be where i went...sorry man :(

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away