Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

6 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Yeah, because we shut down massive parts of our economy. 

And that’s what a lot of the rubes will fail to ever comprehend. That we nearly completely shut down almost the entire country for a month and a half, to keep this in the neighborhood of the worst flu. If we would have just let it run it’s course, no doubt we’d have ended up with a million dead. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

That's what a professor in the article thinks.  He thinks the people never actually recovered.

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

I read somewhere that NYC's death toll doesn't include those that die at home from suspected C19. That's another 250 per day.

there is also a thought that some of the posted numbers aren't CV19 either.    the reality is no one really knows.  the CDC doesn't even know how many people died from H1N1 in the US, everything is pretty much an estimate.

34 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

that's surprising to hear.  whole foods can barely keep butter stocked.  and the cheese selection has been sparser than normal. 

also never knew milk could be this divisive. 

Think of how much butter, cream, etc restaurants use.  Consumers may be getting more, but the extra consumer use likely won't make up for the decrease in use by restaurants.

5 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Up to 75 cases in Smith County (Tyler). That's a 20% jump in recorded cases in one day of reporting. 28 in Gregg County (Longview). Community spread in most of the surrounding counties as well. East Texas is about to take off.

Yep. I don't remember which local station it was, or know how accurate the report was, but it was stated this weekend that Nacogdoches went from 2 or 3 cases to the second highest in East Texas over a 24 hour period.

After watching people totally disregard social distancing and SIP suggestions I'm not one damned bit surprised.  Bunch of stupid fucks in my neck of the woods.

Edited by SHOOTER12

Yeah, you're going to need a big run-up over the next four days. You predicted 10,000 deaths/day starting on Friday, argued for it emphatically in the last week of March and batted aside the premise of mitigation playing a role, and then doubled-down on this thread last Wednesday by restating the same.
I don't know, early numbers today don't look great for the living. High death toll for NY, high early half day update for FL, Indiana looks like it could be flaring up really poorly for the living. Georgia posted some catch-up numbers on the death toll side so that number is inflated in reality, but still not good.
Today could be the highest death toll for the US yet. Sucks. Was hoping to see the top end hold the line a bit. We won't be anywhere near 10k/day by Friday or within 25,000 of dipshit's numbers he called for by the start of next Wednesday, but it would be nice to see the plateau take hold and then dip in the next week. Probably fantasy, but it beats alternative choices.
SHUT
THE
FUCK
UP
Your stupid schtick is ruining this thread. 

I haven't made it through a full diatribe, but the obsession is downright aggy. Dude needs to get laid.
  • Like 3

And that’s what a lot of the rubes will fail to ever comprehend. That we nearly completely shut down almost the entire country for a month and a half, to keep this in the neighborhood of the worst flu. If we would have just let it run it’s course, no doubt we’d have ended up with a million dead. 

This really isn't hard to grasp. I hope people come to understand it. We'll see I guess.

18 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Yep. I don't remember which local station it was, or know how accurate the report was, but it was stated this weekend that Nacogdoches went from 2 or 3 cases to the second highest in East Texas over a 24 hour period.

After watching people totally disregard social distancing and SIP suggestions I'm not one damned bit surprised.  Bunch of stupid fucks in my neck of the woods.

Some of the Rusk County cases are from local spread in the Mt Enterprise and Garrison areas as well.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I'm in Nac as well and have been disappointed in how slow the general population was in taking this seriously.  If you drive past Lowe's, the parking lot usually looks like a normal day last year.  Walmart has been slammed too, but that's more understandable given how people from all over the county come in to get their shopping done there. I think the County leadership has done a pretty good job of communicating and had drive through testing set up as soon as we had our first positive case. 

I really hope things don't shake loose here.  https://infection2020.com/  - Currently showing 21 cases and 2 deaths.

28 minutes ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

It’s only during peak hours. The headlines are click bait. Can we get back to milk now?

I just heard it on the news. But I don’t think it’s click bait. Even if, for example, they said closed 10-2, you know what the new peak hours become? 7-10 and 2-5, etc etc. that they had to do this at all is pretty big and it will likely continue. 

I continue to have a hard time believing that in four to five weeks we are going to open up businesses again and not see an explosion of cases that puts us right back to an overwhelmed hospital system, unless warm weather truly does kill the virus.

• Like 2

I continue to have a hard time believing that in four to five weeks we are going to open up businesses again and not see an explosion of cases that puts us right back to an overwhelmed hospital system, unless warm weather truly does kill the virus.

Shit man, I’m hearing ppl calling for firing things back up in a week or two. Just based on schools being closed alone I don’t really see how that’s possible.

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What's going on in the Philippines points to heat/humidity doesn't limit it

Fools errand to think warm weather will "kill" the virus.  People can get colds and flu during the summer.  The hope would be that like with things like the flu that warm (and humid) weather A.  don't kill but potentially degrade the virus such that it has a harder time causing infection B.  respiratory droplets that the virus is contained in have a much much harder time suspending in more humid air for any length of time C. Higher UV may further degrade virus and additionally may help bolster folks vitamin D levels in turn making their immune systems stronger in terms of fighting anything off and D.  Folks just are not as socially squashed in the summer time as they are in the colder months making transmission harder. 

So kill.....unlikely.  Slow significantly.....hopefully. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, B00M said:

Not sure if serious... Wont this just make the streets packed with people before 10am? 

Of course it will. You would think. Except it's Paris so there's a good chance about 65% of the population haven't been awake before 11 am in over a decade. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Fools errand to think warm weather will "kill" the virus.  People can get colds and flu during the summer.  The hope would be that like with things like the flu that warm (and humid) weather A.  don't kill but potentially degrade the virus such that it has a harder time causing infection B.  respiratory droplets that the virus is contained in have a much much harder time suspending in more humid air for any length of time C. Higher UV may further degrade virus and additionally may help bolster folks vitamin D levels in turn making their immune systems stronger in terms of fighting anything off and D.  Folks just are not as socially squashed in the summer time as they are in the colder months making transmission harder. 

So kill.....unlikely.  Slow significantly.....hopefully. 

I've always understood option D as being the big reason colds and flu taper off in the warmer months. Staying inside all the time in close contact with people helps the spread. We all do a lot less of that once the weather warms up. 

So it's not the increasing temperature that kills it off, but the inability for the virus to so easily spread. 

Some positive news...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8191185/Austria-Denmark-plan-lift-lockdown-restrictions-week.html

How Europe is planning to lift the lockdown: Austria will open small shops next week, Denmark wants 'staggered' return to work and Germany could re-open schools if infection rate stays low

• Austria announced today it is planning to open smaller shops on April 14, and larger ones and malls on May 1 
  • Denmark wants people to 'work in a more staggered way' to avoid crowding into trains and buses
  • Germany is willing to re-open shops and allow some people into restaurants if the rate of contagion is low  

Edited by EuroHorn

2 hours ago, B00M said:

Seriously Interesting but... Is your point that because milk was a relatively good source of nutrition for our ancestors that someone today should go to the store 3 or 4 times a week to buy it during a pandemic? 

no, that's crazy unless you actually work at the store. I was just saying there's nothing wrong with milk.

2 hours ago, achooloco said:

I'm bored and that sounds interesting. Got some links? I'd google myself but not even sure how to phrase the query. 

https://hal.inria.fr/hal-01667476/document

Basically, most everyone in Europe and America, along with Iran and India speak a language (Germanic, Celtic, Greek, Latin, Hindi, Persian) that comes from what are called the Proto Indo-Europeans. They lived somewhere north of the Black Sea 6,000-8,000 years ago. One theory on why these people were able to conquer or at least dominate such a wide swath of land is that they were the original population that developed lactose tolerance as adults.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Yeah, and the problem is that even if people start to listen once the numbers spike, they’re two weeks too late and those numbers will keep rising for the next two weeks. 

1 hour ago, heso said:

Now that the numbers seem to be below projections, I’m starting to see more and more people on social media who down played this in early March start to come out of the woodwork to proclaim how everyone overreacted. It’s not worth it to argue with them, but it’s beyond stupid to act as if we’ve take the same precautions for any other flu season, or even swine flu for that matter, but thankfully we’ll never see the counter factual scenario where everyone went about their normal business and a million or more died. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It would help if he didn't lie to make his points.

There's not a lie in that post. It's a reminder of some lunatic level shit you posted plus facts about today's death tolls around the country at the time of the post. Pretty straightforward. Given your posting behaviors, you calling anyone else a liar is pretty rich. 

• Like 2

Wow.

Full Text from Beckers:

Spoiler

'We are not immune': Henry Ford Health says 734 employees positive for COVID-19
Kelly Gooch - 2 hours ago    Print     | Email

More than 700 employees of Detroit-based Henry Ford Health System have tested positive for COVID-19, the health system confirmed to Becker's.

Adnan Munkarah, MD, executive vice president and chief clinical officer, said Henry Ford has tested nearly 2,500 employees since tracking began March 12, and the majority have tested negative. However, as of April 6, 734 employees, or 2.1 percent of the health system's workforce, have tested positive. Positive cases include employees not working directly on the front lines or those who contracted the virus in the community.

In announcing the update, Dr. Munkarah pointed to the health system's strict adherence to the use of personal protective equipment during the pandemic, as well as other measures that have been put in place to protect employees and patients. Those measures include a universal mask policy for employees and visitors and the prioritization of testing for employees exhibiting even mild symptoms.

"As a health system caring for a large majority of our region's COVID-19 patients, we know we are not immune to potential exposure and we remain grateful for the courage and dedication of our entire team," said Dr. Munkarah.

Michigan is one of the states hardest hit by the pandemic. As of 7:25 a.m. CDT April 7, there were 17,221 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the state.  

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, and the problem is that even if people start to listen once the numbers spike, they’re two weeks too late and those numbers will keep rising for the next two weeks. 

Now that the numbers seem to be below projections, I’m starting to see more and more people on social media who down played this in early March start to come out of the woodwork to proclaim how everyone overreacted. It’s not worth it to argue with them, but it’s beyond stupid to act as if we’ve take the same precautions for any other flu season, or even swine flu for that matter, but thankfully we’ll never see the counter factual scenario where everyone went about their normal business and a million or more died. 

Taleb has written extensively in the Black Swan trilogy about the hidden price people pay who prevent catastrophe. It's been harder to pin down historically, because we rarely know what the actual catastrophe was that was prevented in most instances. My guess is that he and others will have a relative field day doing the math on what happened here, and it should make for interesting reading. 

There was always going to be a group of dipshits with loud voices on social media screaming about the oncoming doomsday and there was always going to be a counterbalance in nature to that with a bunch of hillbillies and low information rubes that can't fathom what this is actually about - preventing the tidal wave overrun of the healthcare system and the domino effect it would have on our society. 

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

Gottlieb seems to be one of the sharpest people around and has been tweeting a lot about how we open things back up and the "massive surveillance system" we need.    That sounds great and all but then we see the WFAA story last night confirming what I've assumed indicating that numerous people that were tested 14 to 16 days ago that haven't received test results. 

For Dallas specifically, I'm optimistic that the hospitalization data we'll see today and on Friday this week will show that the curve is beginning to flatten.   And based on the data of open hospital beds and ICU beds currently, Dallas clearly doesn't appear to be on the precipice of being overrun.  But there has been pretty much no talk about the testing infrastructure still sucking ass and what our plan is to fix it.

We flat out can't open up in May if there are limited tests available and people are waiting 2 weeks for results.  That is a recipe for disaster.   And from what I've gathered, there hasn't been any improvement over the last several weeks.  I'm glad WFAA at least ran a 1 minute story on this last night but the local media needs to do a much better job of recognizing this problem and holding city and county officials accountable.

Do you really trust ANY of our governments with "massive surveillance ssytems" of its citizenry?  I know I do not.

But yeah, the delay in testing is ridiculous.  New York is still updating cases and deaths from 2-3 weeks ago.  That is NOT acceptable.

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away