Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

ERCOT numbers are really  surprising...would have thought usage had increased significantly with all the staying at home...and other than last weekend it hasn't been unseasonably cool either. weird! 

ETA: oh yeah...all the businesses closed down. duh. 

Edited by mchookem

ERCOT releases COVID-19 load impact analysis

AUSTIN, TX, April 7, 2020 – Beginning today, ERCOT will provide weekly updates regarding load pattern changes due to COVID-19 in the ERCOT region. Updates will be available on the Trending Topics page of the ERCOT website in the Presentations & Other section.

ERCOT began monitoring load impacts directly related to COVID-19 during the week of March 8. While there has been little impact to ERCOT’s daily peaks, the morning load has remained consistently lower between the hours of 6 and 10 a.m. The morning loads are currently six to 10 percent lower than what the forecast model would typically predict after accounting for normal model errors.

“The overall load reduction for the ERCOT region has leveled off over the past two weeks,” said ERCOT Manager of Load Forecasting and Analysis Calvin Opheim. “Based on the data analyzed from the weeks of March 22 and 29, weekly energy use is down by approximately two percent.”

Any changes to the summer peak load forecast will be announced in mid-May when ERCOT releases its final summer Seasonal Assessment of Resource Adequacy and the Capacity, Demand and Reserves Report. A specific release date has not yet been set. 

In addition to monitoring load patterns, ERCOT has taken several measures to help protect its staff during this time. Those steps are outlined in a pandemic planning actions document, which is also available on the Trending Topics page of the ERCOT website.

It's going to be interesting to see how load shapes change during the summer if this is still going on. Some residential load could be offset by a reduction in commercial load, but would it be enough?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Imperfect Foods seems to have reasonable lead times, but I'm not yet sure what I'll be buying from them.  I have a produce delivery coming Monday.  I'll be able to see prices on Thursday so their other options may start to make sense. 

I'm trying to get the rest of our food from local butcher shops, etc.  The real problem is household goods -- TP, paper towels, cleaners, soap, shampoo, dry goods, pantry essentials.  I haven't really found a way to get those anywhere but the obvious outlets.  I think I'm just going to set up an Instacart delivery in the distant future that I renew and limp along until that one shows up.  As others have said, smaller mom & pop grocery stores tend to be less overrun, if more expensive, but right now I'll take "less overrun".

I've been having good luck with Amazon Fresh by ordering in the middle of the night. It's usually two days out, but windows seem to always be available. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

No, he means order online yourself.

Ah ha! Yeah, that is worse than suicide. i dont mess with her grocery shopping. i did that one time, ONE TIME in the past and learned to never try to be helpful with the groceries again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

I've been having good luck with Anazon Fresh by ordering in the middle of the night. It's usually two days out, but windows seem to always be available. 

Perfect.  I'll add it to my wife's to-do list when she's up at 2am to feed the baby.

• Like 2

Just now, aggie08 said:

Perfect.  I'll add it to my wife's to-do list when she's up at 2am to feed the baby.

They may not have everything you want, but once you place the order, it seems it is dedicated to you. Have zero issues with not getting what I ordered.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

Ah ha! Yeah, that is worse than suicide. i dont mess with her grocery shopping. i did that one time, ONE TIME in the past and learned to never try to be helpful with the groceries again.

Dude, that's the fucking dream.  My wife is like that with laundry...no chance in hell she'll trust me to press a button with her clothes.  But I still have to contribute to grocery shopping.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mycox said:

Along with three weeks of respiratory illness last month and coworkers sick from the flu after visiting China.

What the hell are are you doing at the office? Is your job considered essential? You are a prime example of how this virus is spreading.

Actually you probably shouldn't go crazy on him...there are TONS of us that have to still go to work every day in "essential" jobs...like Used Car Dealerships(Don't get me started)

3 hours ago, heso said:

And that’s what a lot of the rubes will fail to ever comprehend. That we nearly completely shut down almost the entire country for a month and a half, to keep this in the neighborhood of the worst flu. If we would have just let it run it’s course, no doubt we’d have ended up with a million dead. 

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I continue to have a hard time believing that in four to five weeks we are going to open up businesses again and not see an explosion of cases that puts us right back to an overwhelmed hospital system, unless warm weather truly does kill the virus.

It's just crazy to me...because besides Social Distancing guidelines, some people wearing masks, and Bars and schools being shut down...otherwise everyone I know is still working every day like normal.  I'm glad these limited methods have made a significant impact, because I was worried that the virus would just keep spreading since more than half of people are not staying at home since they work in an "essential" field.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Dude, that's the fucking dream.  My wife is like that with laundry...no chance in hell she'll trust me to press a button with her clothes.  But I still have to contribute to grocery shopping.

I dried a pair of her jeans once early in our marriage. I haven't been trusted to do anything but my own laundry in 17 years. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bevo Num1 said:

It's going to be interesting to see how load shapes change during the summer if this is still going on. Some residential load could be offset by a reduction in commercial load, but would it be enough?

There will be increased loads at your mom's house.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

ok, need help with assisting the wife in shopping. she is resisting switching to online shopping. i have no idea why but she has not embraced it at all. So, can you use Favor for HEB? i know they started a program for seniors but is that just the hotline? What about everyone else? Can you just order on Favor? Any other good methods? Shipt? 

Instacart and HEB curbside are weeks out. I keep telling her to go ahead  and order on those for the available dates but she keeps dragging her feet and then the dates keep bumping out. So anyone help you can provide so i dont have to reinvent the wheel, i would appreciate.

HEB's service is ridiculous - something like "maybe someday."  Kroger's seems to be better but also not great.  Shipt, Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods (which are, confusingly, two different things) all delivered on a same-day basis in the last 4 days (gotta get my 4 gallons of milk per day like all the Surly 1%).  Those have been the best options for us since Instacart backed up (but it's still days, not weeks, for me if I choose HEB or Randalls). 

Trader Joes will deliver its repackaged Aldi merchandise through Doordash and Postmates same-day, but there's a premium there.

Lots of local restaurants have started delivering produce and meat/dairy also.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Actually you probably shouldn't go crazy on him...there are TONS of us that have to still go to work every day in "essential" jobs...like Used Car Dealerships(Don't get me started)

I'm there to make sure money is getting in the bank to make payroll. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Meh meh meh cloak room tactic cloak room tactic cloak room tactic meh meh meh. It's part of what makes you political honks running around here so tiresome. Busted in a lie? Call the other guy a liar. Don't like where things are heading for yourself in a discussion? Accuse the other guy of having a sock army because surely a bunch of other people couldn't just be tired of your silly bullshit. Right. 

Wait, what is this about ?  Is there where JJ said he hoped for a flair up in your area referring to people catching, and dying from Covid 19 ?  

33 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

ok, need help with assisting the wife in shopping. she is resisting switching to online shopping. i have no idea why but she has not embraced it at all. So, can you use Favor for HEB? i know they started a program for seniors but is that just the hotline? What about everyone else? Can you just order on Favor? Any other good methods? Shipt? 

Instacart and HEB curbside are weeks out. I keep telling her to go ahead  and order on those for the available dates but she keeps dragging her feet and then the dates keep bumping out. So anyone help you can provide so i dont have to reinvent the wheel, i would appreciate.

Favor is not the greatest for groceries, especially relatively large orders. The shopper only receives a list of the items, no picture, no aisle location. They don't have to scan the item to verify it is the correct item, like they do for Shipt and Instacart. We did get a 15 item order from Favor last week. It worked out fine. They automatically add a $10 tip, which is absurd for making somebody go in their own car, use their own gas, walk around the virus polluted store for 20-30 minutes shopping for the order, and then delivering to someone's house. Gave the lady $30 tip on a $45 order and I still felt bad about it.

A lot of Favor drivers will reject the HEB orders, because they don't want to have to shop and deliver an order for the $3 + $10 they will get.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I'm assuming "Total" doesn't mean "New" (the 72 includes some of the 56 from 4/3).  I normally wouldn't have posted to ask that, but I saw a set of data yesterday where "New" meant "in the last 36 hours" even though the data was updated every 24.

Right.  So in your example of number that have needed a vent, that number was reported 56 on Friday and 72 today.  So I take that as 16 additional patients were put on vent at some time between Thursday evening and Monday evening (as purportedly the numbers are through like 7 or 8 PM the prior day).

39 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Imperfect Foods seems to have reasonable lead times, but I'm not yet sure what I'll be buying from them.  I have a produce delivery coming Monday.  I'll be able to see prices on Thursday so their other options may start to make sense. 

I'm trying to get the rest of our food from local butcher shops, etc.  The real problem is household goods -- TP, paper towels, cleaners, soap, shampoo, dry goods, pantry essentials.  I haven't really found a way to get those anywhere but the obvious outlets.  I think I'm just going to set up an Instacart delivery in the distant future that I renew and limp along until that one shows up.  As others have said, smaller mom & pop grocery stores tend to be less overrun, if more expensive, but right now I'll take "less overrun".

Just steal that shit from your office building 

Just now, Trey3216 said:

Just steal that shit from your office building 

Heh . . . I work at a startup with 9 employees.  I think they'd notice if the TP count went from 20 rolls to 10.

I am willing to invade other office complexes, though.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Right.  So in your example of number that have needed a vent, that number was reported 56 on Friday and 72 today.  So I take that as 16 additional patients were put on vent at some time between Thursday evening and Monday evening (as purportedly the numbers are through like 7 or 8 PM the prior day).

Or, 16+ the number of the 56 that were taken off. It’s total vents in use, right?  So to the extreme, of all 56 recovered/died then all 72 would be new. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Need the heavy cream to make good ice cream and mashed potatoes. But at least a quart of that will last a long time. 

I bought a quart of heavy cream last week to make some kind of an alfredo-ish sauce, but the family vetoed it.  Need ice cream recipe.  Thx.

And if it's the Nigella Lawson recipe, I approve.  Of the recipe.  And Nigella.  For instance:

Nigella Lawson megússza a drogozást | 24.hu

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I bought a quart of heavy cream last week to make some kind of an alfredo-ish sauce, but the family vetoed it.  Need ice cream recipe.  Thx.

And if it's the Nigella Lawson recipe, I approve.  Of the recipe.  And Nigella.  For instance:

Nigella Lawson megússza a drogozást | 24.hu

Surly: "wide hips, she'll be fatter in 10 years, would not bang" 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bevo Num1 said:

Not likely.  You’d still have to cool the commercial buildings to an extent to prevent destroying electronics and what not.  The overload on the residential will be absolutely enormous 

50 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've been using them and they've been great in all categories. The prices are fair too- comparable to grocery store prices.

• Like 1

Jesus, what’s making this so bad in Detroit/Michigan? Seems like NYC and New Orleans both make some sense from a density and public events stand point, but it’s unclear why it’s so bad there. 

I posted a link to a story a few days ago that reported over 200k people had flown from China to the US just before travel from China was banned. That was only for direct flights. It didn’t not count any people on transfer flights. Detroit was one of the major destinations as was New York and Seattle.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, heso said:

I’m just hopeful at this point that people don’t abandon the safeguards as soon as the curve starts to dip and fire it back up again. 

it hit 70 degrees in Chicago today. people out everywhere. these orders don't make it past April without some law enforcement to back it up or a huge spike in cases that scares everyone again.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I dried a pair of her jeans once early in our marriage. I haven't been trusted to do anything but my own laundry in 17 years. 

I’ve dried her jeans, broken a plate, and refused to buy sugarless snacks at the store. I’m ridding myself of chores one “accident” at a time. 

• Like 4

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away