Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

14 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

If you don't have the money, you don't have the money.  Uber rates in NYC are about the same as a taxi, even more so with bad weather.  I live .7 miles from my office. The average Uber trip is 11-14 each way.  Most folks commuting in are coming from outer boroughs.  They cannot fucking afford it.  I don't know how you propose to squeeze blood from a turnip.

.7 miles?  Walk.  Shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes including time for waiting for crosswalks.

NYC should have shut down the subways and spent that money on subsidizing any truly essential workers that needed to come in for an uber.  Cramming into subways is just galactically stupid.  Do anything else.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 3

8 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Nothing builds goodwill and a willingness to help in times of need quite like forcing your onerous taxes on the people who came to help you - but hey, see the tax laws, right here....here they are.  I mean all the Oregon firefighters.  All 300 of them that helped battle the CA wildfires.  That was different.  It's not like there isn't a precedent of subsidies and relaxation of regulations for those that are willing to put themselves in harms way for your state.  Cuomo even admits it with his admission that it was their $13B deficit that "forces" his hand.....but hey, this next round, everyone will be willing to come back again and risk their lives to pay NYC income taxes on top of the New York state taxes.

I have no idea what Oregon firefighters have to do with the price of tea in China. Really, I have no idea what you are talking about. 

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

No idea. No idea what so ever. Lol emoji23.png

if MN was an epicenter and there were nurses volunteering because my governor was on TV with his daily conference whining about not having help, I wouldn’t care if they weren’t taxed

Jesus Christ, they aren't volunteers. They are being paid, generally well above what they normally make. I don't know why y'all are bent out of shape that the state hasn't changed the rules that apply to everybody else. I swear to god y'all are the same idiots that would be screaming about "handouts" if the government decided to subsidize them by handing out tax credits.  

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I have no idea what Oregon firefighters have to do with the price of tea in China. Really, I have no idea what you are talking about. 

Jesus Christ, they aren't volunteers. They are being paid, generally well above what they normally make. I don't know why y'all are bent out of shape that the state hasn't changed the rules that apply to everybody else. I swear to god y'all are the same idiots that would be screaming about "handouts" if the government decided to subsidize them by handing out tax credits.  

Psst, it’s a Democrat thing. You knew that too. 

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Can you believe athletes pay taxes when they play in other states?!?! They’re volunteering to entertain us 

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Hmmmm not many personal cars in NY, so... they'll put a boot on the subway?  Probably a great idea!

And it comes full circle...

They’ll just boot their feet 

14 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

.7 miles?  Walk.  Shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes including time for waiting for crosswalks.

NYC should have shut down the subways and spent that money on subsidizing any truly essential workers that needed to come in for an uber.  Cramming into subways is just galactically stupid.  Do anything else.

You idiot, I am not complaining about myself, I was using that as an illustration on what fucking Ubers cost.  I am talking about all the fucking poor people in the city.  Go back to South Texas to your ranch and shut the fuck up.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

You idiot, I am not complaining about myself, I was using that as an illustration on what fucking Ubers cost.  I am talking about all the fucking poor people in the city.  Go back to South Texas to your ranch and shut the fuck up.

Poor people should be subjected to death on subways?

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 4

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Remember..it’s all about saving lives over making money. Unless you’re the NY govt who needs help because they’re staring down the barrel of a 13B deficit.

Again, it’s been pointed out over and over that if you work for pay, you pay taxes. They aren’t volunteering. They’re making bank in most cases.  But whatever. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

It is cheaper than two weeks on a respirator.

What part of essential workers are you guys missing.  They need to get to fucking work.  What the hell are they supposed to do?  I see a lot of criticism and no solutions.  Remember, the city and state are fucking broke.  And a lot of these folks live in Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx and even further afield in tiny apartments with multple generations.  

8 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

But how much is an uber to your dry cleaners with a down comforter?

or do you subway it over when it’s dirty and uber it back when it’s clean?  Maybe there’s pickup and drop off service. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Jesus Christ you are fucking obtuse.  

I am not one defending the practices that in the very small area of states that account for damn near a half of our Coronavirus deaths.  But go ahead.  Hop on a subway tonight and have fun.

There is no excuse for keeping the subways open.  True essential workers could take alternate travel instead of 1-2 million people a day still cramming into those shit boxes of death.

• Fuck You 3

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

What part of essential workers are you guys missing.  They need to get to fucking work.  What the hell are they supposed to do?  I see a lot of criticism and no solutions.  Remember, the city and state are fucking broke.  And a lot of these folks live in Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx and even further afield in tiny apartments with multple generations.  

I for one think New York and New Jersey should just keep the fuck on with their stellar performance.  And not change a thing.  

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

But how much is an uber to your dry cleaners with a down comforter?

or do you subway it over when it’s dirty and uber it back when it’s clean?  Maybe there’s pickup and drop off service. 

It is across the street, and they are back open.  Laundry and dry cleaning are essential services.

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It is across the street, and they are back open.  Laundry and dry cleaning are essential services.

You Uber across the street? You rich bitch, why do you hate poor people?!?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tjhooker said:

I'm hoping the govt comes in through another stimulus and relieves some of that $ then I will have had free mortgage paid. Worse case I just pay it.  

Yeah, they aren't even discussing that in Congress from what I can tell, so I have my doubts if we will see another one, especially since many people haven't even received the first.  If they started right now, they'd be able to get checks out at the end of May or early June.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I for one think New York and New Jersey should just keep the fuck on with their stellar performance.  And not change a thing.  

You are such a cunt.  I generally ignore you, but your willfull ignorance of reality is absolutely spectacular. If you do not have a pot to piss in already, how the fuck are you going to pay for alternative transport?  You do realize busses and subways are highly subsidized for the working poor, right?  Hell, I think they might even be free for essential workers at this point in time.  

Stop public transport, and medical workers, grocery workers, policemen, firemen, EMS workers would not be able to get to work.  You are honestly so fucking ignorant of reality, it is honestly amazing that you can function in society.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, they aren't even discussing that in Congress from what I can tell, so I have my doubts if we will see another one, especially since many people haven't even received the first.  If they started right now, they'd be able to get checks out at the end of May or early June.

House is going to start talking about one.

Again, it’s been pointed out over and over that if you work for pay, you pay taxes. They aren’t volunteering. They’re making bank in most cases.  But whatever. 

I get that. So was cuomo pleading for actual help to save lives...Or was he pleading for volunteering taxpayers?

6 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

You are such a cunt.  I generally ignore you, but your willfull ignorance of reality is absolutely spectacular. If you do not have a pot to piss in already, how the fuck are you going to pay for alternative transport?  You do realize busses and subways are highly subsidized for the working poor, right?  Hell, I think they might even be free for essential workers at this point in time.  

Stop public transport, and medical workers, grocery workers, policemen, firemen, EMS workers would not be able to get to work.  You are honestly so fucking ignorant of reality, it is honestly amazing that you can function in society.

I guess they get to have fun with the Coronavirus.  Because the subway is the only way to travel in New York.  And their employers and local government cannot help out.

• Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Subways should have been shut down.  Bike.  Walk.  Uber.  

Wrong. And it sounds dumber and dumber each time an ignorant repeats this idiocy. It would have to be a helluva lot more deadly, contagious, or both for subways to shut down completely until the disease was handled.

The number of dead from the disease would have to be more than the expected dead from starvation, rioting, grocery store break ins, mass exodus from the city, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

24 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

If i was poor and paid $11 for an Uber ride instead of walking a mile; there's a very high likelihood that's not my only bad choice in life.

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I get that. So was cuomo pleading for actual help to save lives...Or was he pleading for volunteering taxpayers?

he was pleading to get him out of a bind and then so he could punish them for helping.

17 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

they are going to have to come up with a contigency plan in the future to shut down subway/train entrances and determine who is essential.  maybe nursing home workers need special trains so they can get to a home without mixing with other population.  or maybe not send patients who have a pandemic highly contagious virus to elderly care facilities.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I'm not saying don't go to work if you are "essential", but risking the medical bills, or your life, riding the death train might not be the best way to go about it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Iceman said:

he was pleading to get him out of a bind and then so he could punish them for helping.

Honesty not understanding the tax anger. Offer incredible amount/rate to foreign workers that is much higher than their normal pay, they come and perform an admirable job, they get taxed for work performed like anyone else. It’s not like they Were not given proper remuneration for services completed. Now if the contracts said you won’t get taxed and now they are, that’s one thing but is there a link to that?

Sports players Are paid different rates for all the cities they play in, How is this a novel concept for people on this board? 

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Honesty not understanding the tax anger. Offer incredible amount/rate to foreign workers that is much higher than their normal pay, they come and perform an admirable job, they get taxed for work performed like anyone else. It’s not like they Were not given proper remuneration for services completed. Now if the contracts said you won’t get taxed and now they are, that’s one thing but is there a link to that?

Sports players Are paid different rates for all the cities they play in, How is this a novel concept for people on this board? 

There are a lot of things on this board that have really surprised me lately.  I think a lot of people live in their little isolated bubble and have no clue how the world actually works.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, achooloco said:

and y'all are hung up on the fact the workers made a premium.  It should belong to the worker, not fucking New York.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, achooloco said:

There may be people who care about the taxation, but I think the real issue is that while Cuomo and NYC did offer high paying jobs for a short period of time it was  really a tug on the heart strings with a request to help out in a time of crisis.  Pushing for the taxes, and doing it by saying that they have a big deficit as justification, seems contrary to the prior plea for help.

So legally it is right (and I have paid multiple state income taxes before).  BUT after they start opening up NYC, and in the fall/winter when the next big wave hits, a plea for help is going to ring a bit hollow and the volunteers to get good pay for what is very hard and  hazardous duty will be a much shorter list of applicants.   To me that is why his actions and statements are shortsighted.

Edited by ABSR
  • Like 7

There may be people who care about the taxation, but I think the real issue is that while Cuomo and NYC did offer high paying jobs for a short period of time it was  really a tug on the heart strings with a request to help out in a time of crisis.  Pushing for the taxes, and doing it by saying that they have a big deficit as justification, seems contrary to the prior plea for help.
So legally it is right (and I have paid multiple state income taxes before).  BUT after they start opening up NYC, and in the fall/winter when the next big wave hits, a plea for help is going to ring a bit hollow and the volunteers to get good pay for what is very hard and  hazardous duty will be a much shorter list of applicants.   To me that is why his actions and statements are shortsighted.

Exactly. Unless you want to put the risk that an out of state essential worker has every day in NYC Vs the one of the 11th man on the Orlando magic playing a meaningless game in Salt Lake City.

7 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

https://context-cdn.washingtonpost.com/notes/prod/default/documents/8b7e272d-7810-4c89-94dd-17a171790932/note/a144011d-70a1-4768-8849-218ecc98f61c.#page=1

Thought this was interesting:

5/3/20
The worst is behind us:  31%
The worst is happening now:  30%
The worst is yet to come:  38%

The problem here is that disease spread is very regional. NYC is probably on the other side of that curve. Other places haven’t seen peak cases/deaths yet

There was another good peak Prosperity video today. He reviews a French hydroxychloroquine study of over 1000 patients where the CFR was 0.75% and all the dead were 75 or older. He also discusses a Spanish study from a single hospital where the death rate was 22% in the HCQ group and 44% in the non HCQgroup. They also found that the entire benefit was among mild cases with it showing no benefit among serious cases.

Then he discusses how sars cov2 and ratg13 its closest known match look like they could be man made and he goes over a couple arguments based on their RNA. Of course it could just be a lack of evidence for other natural relatives, but I find it interesting to consider.

The problem here is that disease spread is very regional. NYC is probably on the other side of that curve. Other places haven’t seen peak cases/deaths yet

My state saw its highest test,case and death day (death was like +1 over the previous high) today. But we’ve had such low testing until the last ~6 days where we’ve really began to double our cases and tests vs the last 5 weeks. A lot of useful data blown out the window in late March/early April when we were hardly testing.

39 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

There are a lot of things on this board that have really surprised me lately.  I think a lot of people live in their little isolated bubble and have no clue how the world actually works.

For a world traveler this surprises you how?  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away