Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

What part of essential workers are you guys missing.  They need to get to fucking work.  What the hell are they supposed to do?  I see a lot of criticism and no solutions.  Remember, the city and state are fucking broke.  And a lot of these folks live in Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx and even further afield in tiny apartments with multple generations.  

If they are essential, then make arrangements. Use empty school busses, city busses. Uber Lyft. Not a Petri dish.  Roads are wide open too. No traffic. If the subway was to be used, it should have been medical personnel only and social distancing strictly enforced. Not become another homeless shelter. I’m sure a lot of these decisions are because they were broke before and that has only gotten worse during the crisis. 

Decisions like this are why there are so many deaths there compared to everywhere else. The reasons are becoming quite clear:

1 million subway rides a day (during lockdown) and sending the virus directly to nursing homes (nearly 5k of the total)

The subway should have been shutdown. You really can’t argue otherwise. The exponential death toll out front should have told ya. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

and y'all are hung up on the fact the workers made a premium.  It should belong to the worker, not fucking New York.

Are you one of those sovereign country nuts? These are just standard taxes. No special rules or taxation. Just normal income taxes. Weird how this one instance gets yall up in arms. I cant imagine why 🙄

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

If they are essential, then make arrangements. Use empty school busses, city busses. Uber Lyft. Not a Petri dish.  Roads are wide open too. No traffic. If the subway was to be used, it should have been medical personnel only and social distancing strictly enforced. Not become another homeless shelter. I’m sure a lot of these decisions are because they were broke before and that has only gotten worse during the crisis. 

Decisions like this are why there are so many deaths there compared to everywhere else. The reasons are becoming quite clear:
1 million subway rides a day (during lockdown) and sending the virus directly to nursing homes (nearly 5k of the total)
The subway should have been shutdown. You really can’t argue otherwise. The exponential death toll out front should have told ya. 
And another person that has no fucking clue. You do know that a significant amount of people who live in New York.City do not own a car? If you do, you are going to pay to park, which if you are just barely making ends meet, you cannot afford.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

And another person that has no fucking clue. You do know that a significant amount of people who live in New York.City do not own a car? If you do, you are going to pay to park, which if you are just barely making ends meet, you cannot afford.

"If they are essential, then make arrangements. Use empty school busses, city busses. Uber Lyft. Not a Petri dish."

i don't think he said anything about personal vehicles.

• Like 3

I think he's saying the powers that be do what they can to get those essential workers into work without having to use the petri dish that is the subway. 

• Like 3

Wrong. And it sounds dumber and dumber each time an ignorant repeats this idiocy. It would have to be a helluva lot more deadly, contagious, or both for subways to shut down completely until the disease was handled.
The number of dead from the disease would have to be more than the expected dead from starvation, rioting, grocery store break ins, mass exodus from the city, etc. 
And yet, multiple people continuing to mention it. They honestly have zero fucking clue. Sigh.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Are you one of those sovereign country nuts? These are just standard taxes. No special rules or taxation. Just normal income taxes. Weird how this one instance gets yall up in arms. I cant imagine why 🙄

I'm not up in arms.  The workers were paid a premium...not to just gross them up to pay the NYC taxes.

It will hurt them the next time they need help.

Fuck em.  Let them fuck each other over and keep their problems within.

Have no fucking idea what you're talking about in line one, especially with regard to relevance to the subject at hand.  I didn't say they should waive their taxes, but they damned sure could have. 

1 hour ago, achooloco said:
Wrong. And it sounds dumber and dumber each time an ignorant repeats this idiocy. It would have to be a helluva lot more deadly, contagious, or both for subways to shut down completely until the disease was handled.
The number of dead from the disease would have to be more than the expected dead from starvation, rioting, grocery store break ins, mass exodus from the city, etc. 

And yet, multiple people continuing to mention it. They honestly have zero fucking clue. Sigh.

No one gets it... yet NY plead for help.

So self sufficient and enlightened, but fucked six ways to Sunday.

Typical.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I do, but that is the whole point of sacrifice. To save lives. And owning a car has nothing to do with bussing nurses and doctors from nearby hotels. Or having grocery stores and pharmacies arrange for safe transportation. 

You are ultimately comparing travel convenience to dead bodies. The number say you are wrong. Another solution was absolutely required. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Read more  

Based on what exactly?  One of the highest death rates in the world for the virus, but everyone else has “no clue”

Edited by ChickenSandwich

5 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Wouldn’t these tenants also be getting the $600/wk on top of the state unemployment benefits? $520 or so in Texas. That’s $4400 a month equivalent to Aprox $57k annually. Shouldn’t some of that money be used to pay rent and bills?  If not, what was the point exactly?

I was under the impression that those benefits weren't turn-key and most people were struggling to either register for or receive them.  

Today, Channel 2 Investigates asked Cisco Gamez, media spokesperson for the TWC, what is going on and just how long should Texans have to wait before they can expect to be approved and granted unemployment benefits.

“The average wait time for benefits is typically about 3 weeks right now. But it will vary from person to person”, Gamez said.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/05/06/many-are-still-struggling-to-get-unemployment-assistance-during-covid-19-pandemic/

Its a shit show.  II have little doubt there are people gaming the system, but good luck trying to prove it.  I dont think anyone wants to be an asshole that thinks that someone is bluffing and throws a broke family into the street.  Landlords are in a shitty spot, no doubt, but they arent in any worse spot than the  people that are out of work.  Yes, in a perfect world, everyone would have a 3-6 month emergency fund, and maybe this will nudge people into being more fiscally responsible.  What its exposing though, is top down, no one is really being that fiscally responsible, from fortune 500 companies to the poor scrub working minimum wage living in a shithole.  

agreed. its not that deadly and the subway needed to stay open, because NYC didn't have a plan for this(which I can undestand why).  I think some are confused because they have been told ad nauseam, that the only deaths we should be concerned with, unless we are uncaring rich as shit 1%ers, were covid and the way to do that was to shut down restaurants, movie theaters, airlines, large gatherings, salons, bars, shelter in place.

will be interesting if it turns out the order to ship covid positive patients and covid positive workers to nursing homes killed more than the subway.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

"If they are essential, then make arrangements. Use empty school busses, city busses. Uber Lyft. Not a Petri dish."

Not sure how a bus is any less of a petri dish than a subway car.  Its the volume of use thats making them such virus bombs, not the mode of transportation.  The problem with going to smaller and smaller vehicles sizes is there is no room for them to carry the quantity of people that need to move on a daily basis.  NY has been trying to find ways around the subway since hurricane Sandy flooded tunnels and fucked the lines up.  They ultimately wound up going to a reduced volume approach because there is just no way to work around a complete stoppage of a single line.  There is no bus/car solution that can move the volume of people necessary on any kind of usable schedule.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/26/nyregion/l-train-repairs-shutdown.html

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I figuring that it would be easier to take temp checks with busses than a subway, but I'm probably wrong.

8 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I figuring that it would be easier to take temp checks with busses than a subway, but I'm probably wrong.

Temp checks don't mean anything with asymptomatic cases. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ABSR said:

There may be people who care about the taxation, but I think the real issue is that while Cuomo and NYC did offer high paying jobs for a short period of time it was  really a tug on the heart strings with a request to help out in a time of crisis.  Pushing for the taxes, and doing it by saying that they have a big deficit as justification, seems contrary to the prior plea for help.

So legally it is right (and I have paid multiple state income taxes before).  BUT after they start opening up NYC, and in the fall/winter when the next big wave hits, a plea for help is going to ring a bit hollow and the volunteers to get good pay for what is very hard and  hazardous duty will be a much shorter list of applicants.   To me that is why his actions and statements are shortsighted.

Right, nyc needed the help but did they tell the workers they'd get a "Bruce Willis armageddon tells us who killed JFK" type deal?  NYC taxes suck and are a surprise to all newcomers but we've all suffered through that.  And when the next wave hits, nyc has to offer more or find others willing to take 10k a week. Is this not the USmotherfuckingA where the almighty dollar and capitalism rules? If NYC somehow hid the fact that taxes would apply i'd agree it'd ring hollow but I disagree that having everyone follow the same rules will hinder the ability to find help when the next wave hits. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

He can’t even spell the plural of bus.  So let’s take him real seriously.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
3 hours ago, achooloco said:

Read more  

Right because none of us here have lived in NYC other than you and alternative travel arrangements like (i) dedicated point to point buses, (ii) Silicon Valley type small group/van pickups (iii) or ride shares limited to essential workers going to hospitals could not have possibly been arranged.  Instead the already filthy subway stations and trains have thousands of homeless either camped out or roaming the train cars that the essential workers have to deal with. Almost 100 MTA workers have died from this shit. It’s criminal that the subways are still operating the way they are

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 5

5 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Agreed. Discussion and denigration of liberal housing and economic policies in Seattle is totally good, but suggesting that shooting brown people is bad is CR.

I didn't mean to imply that it is not a discussion worth having, but this is a thread about a completely different subject that specifically says no politics in the title. The tendency of way too many people of many varied opinions to try and start some political catfight is extremely annoying, hence the rule that has been made clear many times.

44 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Further, you honesty think a doctor or nurse or whoever signing up to run into a hot zone is really going to be thinking about the possibility of a temporary, marginal tax increase that they may not even see given the state's deduction? You think that's going to make them rethink?

I've done projects all over the country for my work.  If i am offered incentive pay and it's just to cover the increase in taxes, plus it's a 'hot zone' for unknown health issues?

Yeah, fuck that.  The notion that it's just a wash or trivial is completely ignorant of why the incentive premium is leveraged to begin with.

Edited by Iceman

I've done projects all over the country for my work.  If i am offered incentive pay and it's just to cover the increase in taxes, plus it's a 'hot zone' for unknown health issues?
Yeah, fuck that.  The notion that it's just a wash or trivial is completely ignorant of why the incentive premium is leveraged to begin with.

Cool story bro. Are you a frontline healthcare worker?

These incentives have been well above market.
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Uh these are healthcare professionals who dedicate their lives saving other people. Not the pencil pusher desk jockey who only cares about his family that you are.

Not close to the same thing.  They deal with more risk on a daily basis than you’ve encountered in your life. Not for the money but bc they generally care. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RayDog said:

Then he discusses how sars cov2 and ratg13 its closest known match look like they could be man made and he goes over a couple arguments based on their RNA. Of course it could just be a lack of evidence for other natural relatives, but I find it interesting to consider.

keep fucking that chicken ray dog. 

Surly 1% arguing over Chilis, while other people shooting teens because they want to dine in on a Big Mac
https://kfor.com/news/local/2-women-in-police-custody-after-2-teenage-mcdonalds-workers-shot-in-oklahoma-city/
Police say it all started around 6:30 p.m. Wednesday evening when two women entered the McDonald’s expecting to be able to sit down and eat. Because of COVID-19, McDonald’s dining rooms are still closed.

Surly 1% arguing over Chilis, while other people shooting teens because they want to dine in on a Big Mac
https://kfor.com/news/local/2-women-in-police-custody-after-2-teenage-mcdonalds-workers-shot-in-oklahoma-city/
Police say it all started around 6:30 p.m. Wednesday evening when two women entered the McDonald’s expecting to be able to sit down and eat. Because of COVID-19, McDonald’s dining rooms are still closed.

Fuck I would love a Big Mac fries and coke.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Uh these are healthcare professionals who dedicate their lives saving other people. Not the pencil pusher desk jockey who only cares about his family that you are.

Not close to the same thing.  They deal with more risk on a daily basis than you’ve encountered in your life. Not for the money but bc they generally care. 

Nobody in Texas was in need, right?

Fuck you and your alleged high road. I have never served my fellow man, nor has my family.  I have nobody in the health care profession.

Keep ignoring reality.  Getting fucked in NY ain't gonna happen twice, is all I'm saying.  Not by most people.  They're gonna recognize the bullshit and say, "Nah, I'm helping the home team on this one."

Edited by Iceman

Nobody in Texas was in need, right?

Fuck you and your alleged high road. I have never served my fellow man, nor has my family.  I have nobody in the health care profession.

Keep ignoring reality.  Getting fucked in NY ain't gonna happen twice, is all I'm saying.  Not by most people.  They're gonna recognize the bullshit and say, "Nah, I'm helping the home team on this one."

That's not at all what you said.

You said that incentive pay that was just a marginal increase to cover taxes wouldn't persuade you to go into an active outbreak area. Cool story bro. It's not at all relavent given that you aren't a front line healthcare worker and the incentives in this case are far beyond that, but thanks for sharing.

Then you said thinking incentives are a wash or trivial is ignorant to why incentives are used. I guess it would be, but no one said that the incentive is a wash with taxes or a trivial amount. In fact, the pount is the opposite. These incentive packages have been big enough that any minor increase in income tax doesn't change that it's a significant windfall.

You said some dumb shit. It happens to all of us. Instead of incoherently pivoting, just stop posting on the topic. Doubling down is not going to end well.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Temp checks don't mean anything with asymptomatic cases. 

Now you're just being argumentative. The places successfully fighting back the spread are checking for fevers. It's way cheaper, easier, and faster. Lots of folks out there that would know better than you are I seem to believe asymptomatic folks are less contagious.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That's not at all what you said.

You said that incentive pay that was just a marginal increase to cover taxes wouldn't persuade you to go into an active outbreak area. Cool story bro. It's not at all relavent given that you aren't a front line healthcare worker and the incentives in this case are far beyond that, but thanks for sharing.

Then you said thinking incentives are a wash or trivial is ignorant to why incentives are used. I guess it would be, but no one said that the incentive is a wash with taxes or a trivial amount. In fact, the pount is the opposite. These incentive packages have been big enough that any minor increase in income tax doesn't change that it's a significant windfall.

You said some dumb shit. It happens to all of us. Instead of incoherently pivoting, just stop posting on the topic. Doubling down is not going to end well.

Link? To back up your numbers?

again, high road denied to you motherfuckers as well. Keep pontificating about service to me bro.  LOFL.

as if nobody close to me could possibly be in the healthcare industry and directly affected by the situation, such as a cousin in Ft Worth who volunteered for a Covid Response EMT team. And contracted the virus.

Tell me fucking more, bro...

Edited by Iceman

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

Keep ignoring reality.  Getting fucked in NY ain't gonna happen twice, is all I'm saying.  Not by most people.  They're gonna recognize the bullshit and say, "Nah, I'm helping the home team on this

You underestimate the lengths people will go to to earn a buck or two and the short memories of society in general.  Offer big wages again next time and people will flock there all over again.  Society has proven over and over again that they will generally return to their same ways of life and same kinds of decision-making after all sorts of catastrophes. There’s almost 8 billion people in the world. They don’t all think like you. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

You underestimate the lengths people will go to to earn a buck or two and the short memories of society in general.  Offer big wages again next time and people will flock there all over again.  Society has proven over and over again that they will generally return to their same ways of life and same kinds of decision-making after all sorts of catastrophes. There’s almost 8 billion people in the world. They don’t all think like you. 

Big wages/payday means jack if the tax wipes out the bonus. People won't forget.  If this comes back it's coming back soon, peoples memories aren't that short, and there will plenty of people to remind them who haven't forgotten.  

Link? To back up your numbers?

again, high road denied to you motherfuckers as well. Keep pontificating about service to me bro.  LOFL.
as if nobody close to me could possibly be in the healthcare industry and directly affected by the situation, such as a cousin in Ft Worth who volunteered for a Covid Response EMT team. And contracted the virus.
Tell me fucking more, bro...

No one's this stupid. This is a bit, right? Has to be.

Since you're too dumb to scroll up and read the original conversation or take five seconds to research before interjecting: https://lmgtfy.com/?q=new+York+city+healthcare+incentive+pay

No one's criticizing you for a lack of service, snowflake. I don't care that you're not a healthcare worker. Neither am I or most of this site. The only reason that it was mentioned is because you felt compelled to share what you'd do if offered a marginal pay increase to go work in a hot zone, as if that's relavent at all to someone in a health profession weighing whether to do the same when offered a significant incentive.

Your cousin, who I am assuming did not get offered a huge pay increase for their work, is illustrative of the point. It's a different calculus when going in to that situation is the pinnacle of need for your skills, and can help a lot of people. I don't know how you can't grasp that, especially now that you're flaunting your cousin's work as a close connection.

I'm getting dumber engaging you so I'm done here. Hope your cousin recovers quickly if they're not past it already.
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Just checking in to see how this completely apolitical discussion thread is progressing.

Carry on.

Well if you mean NY fucking people over by offering big salaries to come help them fight the covid virus, then laying big bonus taxes on them it's typical gov't stuff.  That's political I guess.

EDIT:  Maybe in your continual state of confusion you should report me.... or at least get someone to explain things to you so you won't be confused anymore.  You really are acting  like a little twat here.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away