Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Well if you mean NY fucking people over by offering big salaries to come help them fight the covid virus, then laying big bonus taxes on them it's typical gov't stuff.  That's political I guess.
EDIT:  Maybe in your continual state of confusion you should report me.... or at least get someone to explain things to you so you won't be confused anymore.  You really are acting  like a little twat here.

3c7fab680c2473990e4d9d21bc0578e5.gif
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I'm honestly perplexed by your response. The article is shoddy.

(1) It ambiguously uses the term "volunteer" to suggest to the reader that people who volunteered without pay are somehow getting taxed on their non-New York income. That isn't happening. Full stop. 

(2) Why exactly is it shocking or unfair that people who get paid to work in New York should pay New York taxes? 

(3) Some of those "volunteers" were from larger employers that already had a presence in New York. They essentially moved to New York short time to work there. Their employers may not have appreciated that the 14-day rule would come into effect and require them to withhold New York taxes from the wages.

(4) Many of the healthcare workers came specifically in response to lucrative offers for work in New York. The entities making those offers would have likely been prepared to withhold New York taxes from the word go. I really can't even fathom why, for these folks, you'd think New York taxes shouldn't apply. 

(5) The workers only owe taxes if their income exceeds the New York standard deduction (8,000 for single, 16,050 for married). 

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/nonresidents.htm

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/standard_deductions.htm

Do people that volunteer to join the armed forces get paid?   

pretty simple, eh? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Big wages/payday means jack if the tax wipes out the bonus. People won't forget.

I see that and you see that, but the phenomenon isn't new and it will continue.  Plenty of people see the light and are moving away from high wage/high tax states, but just as many are moving in the replace them. 

8 minutes ago, Brew said:

These last few pages on NY tax law are stupid. The people I know that went are contract workers that work all over the country and know about paying out of state taxes. They made 2x-3x their normal rates plus all expenses covered and went mostly for the money, not some overriding sense of “volunteerism”. There are definitely some that went out of a sense of duty I’m sure, but every state with an income tax imposes tax on out of state workers. It’s not like it’s some crazy anomaly.

I agree, but it's still shitty considering how they've "used" these people for PR. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

I agree, but it's still shitty considering how they've "used" these people for PR. 

The people “used” them to make a couple of month’s pay in 2 weeks not counting the expense coverage. It’s a 2 way street and contract medical providers know how the game is played. They chase shortages in the industry and capitalize on it. That’s not to say there aren’t a number of medical providers that went strictly out of a sense of duty to help and didn’t know how it works, but a large number are normal contract workers. One of the companies a couple of my clients work for pulled a lot of their contract workers and sent them.

One of the local funeral providers sent several of his people and they volunteered for 2 weeks. His stories are unbelievable.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I see that and you see that, but the phenomenon isn't new and it will continue.  Plenty of people see the light and are moving away from high wage/high tax states, but just as many are moving in the replace them. 

That's not what this was.  You know that.  No one was moving to NY.   It was a call for help, and a bonus for uprooting, and coming to help in a potentially life and death situation, and then the state back doors them.  I'm absolutely amazed people here thinks that's kosher.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Iceman said:

and y'all are hung up on the fact the workers made a premium.  It should belong to the worker, not fucking New York.

Nor are these chuckle-fucks acknowledging that there is a precedent of relaxing taxing and regulations for those that are willing to come out of state and put themselves in harms way (almost like you could loosely use the term "volunteer" as every article and publication does...).  The example of the OR firemen that came down to help fight the recent CA wildfires was used.  Cuome even acknowledged this fact when called on it, but "had" to hold fast due to the $13B deficit when called on it to defend his actions; obviously intimating that had they balanced their budget, things would have been different.  Notice no mention of tax law was made.  No mention of "they should have known".  Just a chickenshit justification because they can't manage their finances.  Fine.  Fuck them.  They should have known.  But again, the fucking point being....don't clutch at your pearls when they tell you to fuck off the next time NY comes crying for help.  

33 minutes ago, Brew said:

but every state with an income tax imposes tax on out of state workers. It’s not like it’s some crazy anomaly.

It is during a disaster.  This is not just BAU for out of state workers happily getting on a plane to pad their pockets.  

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's not what this was.  You know that.  No one was moving to NY.   It was a call for help, and a bonus for uprooting, and coming to help in a potentially life and death situation, and then the state back doors them.  I'm absolutely amazed people here thinks that's kosher.

I didn't say it was kosher.  I said people will do it again next time.  And they will.  Not the same people, but there will be a new crop of young doctors and nurses with student loans to pay off and some of them will uproot for a chance at a dollar without full understanding of the tax implications.  

8 minutes ago, B00M said:

ANYONE WANT TO SHARE DATA OR NEWS FROM ACROSS TEXAS? Fuck this NY tax and transit talk and dry fuck China. For good measure, fuck you too. 

Frisco:  29 cases for a population of close to 200K.  So naturally we need two more weeks....

Guest Lobo
11 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

He can’t even spell the plural of bus.  So let’s take him real seriously.

You're both wrong on the plural spelling.  It's "E Plural Bus Unum"  Says it right there on the coin you put in the driver's farebox.  Duh.  

Glad to see my two days away from this thread saw the conversation get taken up a notch.  ;)   

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

"Back door" implies some sort of bait-and-switch deception. That's obviously not what happened. You can be upset that NY didn't make a special exception for the workers, that's fine. But this isn't a case of being promised one thing and delivered another. I would guess almost all of them fully expected to be taxed on their earnings by the letter of the law and came anyway.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Glad to see my two days away from this thread saw the conversation get taken up a notch.  ;) 

It is pretty remarkable that CTJ hasn't posted on this thread in who knows how long, and the conversations have somehow gotten worse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

It is pretty remarkable that CTJ hasn't posted on this thread in who knows how long, and the conversations have somehow gotten worse.

This is ponderous, man.  Really ponderous.

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Well I admit spelling smack is weak but you have to draw a line somewhere.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

1 hour ago, Brew said:

These last few pages on NY tax law are stupid. The people I know that went are contract workers that work all over the country and know about paying out of state taxes. They made 2x-3x their normal rates plus all expenses covered and went mostly for the money, not some overriding sense of “volunteerism”. There are definitely some that went out of a sense of duty I’m sure, but every state with an income tax imposes tax on out of state workers. It’s not like it’s some crazy anomaly.

Wait til they try to include all the expenses onto the income line as a benefit for tax purposes.  

Edited by Trey3216

21 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

"Back door" implies some sort of bait-and-switch deception. That's obviously not what happened. You can be upset that NY didn't make a special exception for the workers, that's fine. But this isn't a case of being promised one thing and delivered another. I would guess almost all of them fully expected to be taxed on their earnings by the letter of the law and came anyway.

Also was the NY state lege supposed to meet during a pandemic just to pass a one-time exception to the state income tax rule for out of state nurses and doctors or should King AndrewChris Cuomo have declared it so with all his infinite powers?  

I DECLARE STATE TAX EXCEPTION! (not quite the flair as Michael Scott, but similar) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Do people that volunteer to join the armed forces get paid?   

pretty simple, eh? 

Yeah, I get that. It is an ambiguous term. That was my point. Part of what was implied  in the article, that true unpaid volunteers were getting taxed on non-New York income, isn't true. I was clarifying the ambiguity. Y'all are fucking ridiculous. 

I commuted from Houston to be based at EWR and could have sworn I got a lot of those taxes back when I filed. Of course, it was almost 25 years ago, I was a poor, and the tax code has changed many times since then.

16 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, I get that. It is an ambiguous term. That was my point. Part of what was implied  in the article, that true unpaid volunteers were getting taxed on non-New York income, isn't true. I was clarifying the ambiguity. Y'all are fucking ridiculous. 

my guess is we didn't need that clarified because that would be impossible to do. did the article really say that unpaid volunteers(you would have no record of NY income) would be taxed on income they made in other states?

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

It is during a disaster.  This is not just BAU for out of state workers happily getting on a plane to pad their pockets.  

Sorry, man, this is a stupid argument.

NY "begged" for additional healthcare workers and in some cases offered extra salary or benefits.

Those workers were taxed as every other worker in New York is taxed.

It might have been nice for NY to waive taxes on "foreign" worker's compensation, but it wasn't strictly necessary or deceptive that they didn't.

I may be missing something here, but I don't think so.

• Like 4

Guest Lobo

The MTA workers, Meat packing plants, cashiers...all jobs that are most vulnerable to Covid-19.  So we're a social animal meant to be out and about, but we're not supposed to work in groups? 

early voting starts on 18 May, I wonder how we're gonna handle that given the people that usually run those things are quite vulnerable.    

41 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

my guess is we didn't need that clarified because that would be impossible to do. did the article really say that unpaid volunteers(you would have no record of NY income) would be taxed on income they made in other states?

It implied it, yes. The reaction in this thread indicated to me that some might be on the misapprehension that was happening. Here is an exemplar quote from the article:

Even though the state government asked thousands of people to come to New York from out of state to help fight coronavirus, they will have to pay New York state taxes, even on income they might make from their home states that they're paid while in New York.

Again, they only get taxed if they are getting paid for the work in New York. For instance, if I take a vacation in order to volunteer in New York, I don't pay New York taxes despite the fact that my employer is still paying my salary.  All I did was point out that ambiguity, among other confusing aspects of the article (e.g., re: the 14-day withholding rule), and people went crazy.  If no one misunderstood, then all my original post warranted was a nod in agreement. That isn't what happened.

Edited by Dahobbs

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Aren't you the clever one.....

What's your deal man? You've spent the better part of a month policing this board to ensure there's no CR talk. You've whined incessantly. Then, someone does the same thing - calls out CR content - and you go after them repeatedly.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It implied it, yes. The reaction in this thread indicated to me that some might be on the misapprehension that was happening. Here is an exemplar quote from the article:

Again, they only get taxed if they are getting paid for the work in New York. For instance, if I take a vacation in order to volunteer in New York, I don't pay New York taxes despite the fact that my employer is still paying my salary.  All I did was point out that ambiguity, among other confusing aspects of the article (e.g., re: the 14-day withholding rule), and people went crazy.  If no one misunderstood, than all my original post warranted was a nod in agreement. That isn't what happened.

so now you are looking for nods in agreement?  how surly of you.

3 minutes ago, Foosters said:

What's your deal man? You've spent the better part of a month policing this board to ensure there's no CR talk. You've whined incessantly. Then, someone does the same thing - calls out CR content - and you go after them repeatedly.

at least he's not crying to surly mgmt to change the thread title.  there are a bunch of pussies on this thread. oh yeah, Fuck China

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

thought this was interesting.  didn't really know about his past models.  The "master of disaster" nickname by fellow modelers is pretty funny.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/professor-lockdown-modeler-resigns-in-disgrace/

What's interesting is that you, and the author of the piece, omitted oh, I dunno, the key piece of information regarding Ferguson's termination of employment on the project, which was for a completely different reason:

The scientist who convinced British Prime Minister Boris Johnson to finally shut down the country amid the coronavirus has resigned from his government post — after he was caught violating social-distancing rules by meeting up with his married lover, a report said Tuesday.

Epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, 51, whose nickname is “Professor Lockdown,” admitted to the Telegraph that he “made an error of judgment” by inviting Antonia Staats, 38, to his home at least twice while pushing strict distancing guidelines for the UK public, the paper said. Staats lives across London — with her husband and two children, the Telegraph said.

“I accept I made an error of judgment and took the wrong course of action,” Ferguson, a researcher with the Imperial College London, told the Telegraph. “I have therefore stepped back from my involvement in Sage [the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies].

That Fund omitted even a single mention of THE ACTUAL REASON for Ferguson leaving in his piece....well, it makes his piece a real piece of shit.

1 hour ago, B00M said:

ANYONE WANT TO SHARE DATA OR NEWS FROM ACROSS TEXAS? Fuck this NY tax and transit talk and dry fuck China. For good measure, fuck you too. 

EXZIFOfUEAAEypv?format=jpg&name=large

Keeping an eye on this one over the next few weeks. 

• Like 4

Big wages/payday means jack if the tax wipes out the bonus.

Source? What are the numbers? What bonus wages were paid, and how much added tax was taxed? Subtract the tax from the bonus wage increase.

Use a 40 hour week.

If you get $1000 extra a week pay, and $100 is ny tax, who the fuck cares??

If you get $1000 extra a week and they take out $750 of that extra in tax, you have a point. Each person’s opinion on what is a deal breaker is an individual one.
  • Like 1

My wife worked on a project in Mississippi a few years ago for less than a week.  When I did our taxes, she owed Mississippi $12 in state income taxes.  I guess I should have dumped some tea in the Gulf of Mexico in protest.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What's interesting is that you, and the author of the piece, omitted oh, I dunno, the key piece of information regarding Ferguson's termination of employment on the project, which was for a completely different reason:

That Fund omitted even a single mention of THE ACTUAL REASON for Ferguson leaving in his piece....well, it makes his piece a real piece of shit.

Well, that and the fact that the article says that Ferguson and the Imperial College did an analysis on Sweden that turned out to be wrong. That never happened. Others took pieces of the Imperial College work and attempted to adapt it to Sweden. 

Anyway, the UK is right on track to largely match the Imperial College's scenario for the sort of suppression strategies it has employed (between 12,000 and 48,000 deaths). 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away