Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What's interesting is that you, and the author of the piece, omitted oh, I dunno, the key piece of information regarding Ferguson's termination of employment on the project, which was for a completely different reason:

That Fund omitted even a single mention of THE ACTUAL REASON for Ferguson leaving in his piece....well, it makes his piece a real piece of shit.

I wasn't linking it in regards to him resigning because of side piece.  everyone already knows that.  dude is a hack but he is gettin' in on during corona so cheers to him.

For your morning livestock update, the run away train in meat values seems to be slowing a bit, with 2-3% gain in pork and beef. I think wholesale values will probably confirm a peak in the next 7 days, but the retail pipeline will remain dodgy for awhile, especially as food service comes back(or doesn't). Expectations are for another improvement in packer runs today so we will see if that confirms, but barring a collapse, production should be up 10-15% on the week. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

My wife worked on a project in Mississippi a few years ago for less than a week.  When I did our taxes, she owed Mississippi $12 in state income taxes.  I guess I should have dumped some tea in the Gulf of Mexico in protest.

I think you meant sweet tea...

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, kevwun said:

My wife worked on a project in Mississippi a few years ago for less than a week.  When I did our taxes, she owed Mississippi $12 in state income taxes.  I guess I should have dumped some tea in the Gulf of Mexico in protest.

Or sent the $12 to them in pennies.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What's interesting is that you, and the author of the piece, omitted oh, I dunno, the key piece of information regarding Ferguson's termination of employment on the project, which was for a completely different reason:

That Fund omitted even a single mention of THE ACTUAL REASON for Ferguson leaving in his piece....well, it makes his piece a real piece of shit.

It’s plainly written right there in about the 3rd paragraph.  It wasn’t omitted. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

It’s plainly written right there in about the 3rd paragraph.  It wasn’t omitted. 

yep. of course the point of the article is the guy is a hack and has a history of it.

interesting that per 1point3  NY/NJ/Mass/Conn/Penn are all over 6% CCFR but Rhode Island is 3.7%. 

Also, good on the Illini still below 5%.  I figured Chicago would end up similar to Boston.

showing 75K deaths but probably closer to 68K without the maybes.  CDC shows state death certificate confirmed 45K Covid thru 5/2

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/index.htm

Edited by dcar00

Seeing fighter planes is always going to be bitchin'(as long as they are friendly), and I think that any boost for morale is good at this point, and the people that don't like this stuff would have been miserable anyway. 

3 hours ago, B00M said:

ANYONE WANT TO SHARE DATA OR NEWS FROM ACROSS TEXAS? Fuck this NY tax and transit talk and dry fuck China. For good measure, fuck you too. 

New case count on the rise (probably due to increased testing); deaths remain fairly level.

Biggest hot spot in the state is Jones County just north of Abilene (I think there's a prison there). Warm spots concentrated in the Panhandle, East Texas, North Texas (mostly suburbanish counties, plus Dallas Co. proper), and Caldwell/Gonzales counties).

Overall, it looks like it's mostly a case of a slow burn of smoldering embers and glowing coals with various smaller counties falling like leaves into the fire and briefly flaring up.

Overall, my assessment would be to use best judgment, remain cautious, and not add a lot of fuel to the fire.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/texas-coronavirus-cases.html

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Overall, my assessment would be to use best judgment, remain cautious, and not add a lot of fuel to the fire.

So you're saying that you believe it's definitely time to take a cruise ship out of Galveston, then?

Edited by utee94

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

New case count on the rise (probably due to increased testing); deaths remain fairly level.

Biggest hot spot in the state is Jones County just north of Abilene (I think there's a prison there). Warm spots concentrated in the Panhandle, East Texas, North Texas (mostly suburbanish counties, plus Dallas Co. proper), and Caldwell/Gonzales counties).

Overall, it looks like it's mostly a case of a slow burn of smoldering embers and glowing coals with various smaller counties falling like leaves into the fire and briefly flaring up.

Excellent post, and I share in your assessment and recommendation.

We can take reasonable measures -- both regulatory and simple smart personal choices - to keep the transmission rate manageably low.  That will keep our ICUs functional and helpful to those who do end up needing them.

And in the meantime, it appears that the treatment protocols and regimens are getting more effective at reducing the fatality rate.  A path where both of these things are true is sustainable, and can allow us to be generally open for business.

I would like to see more available testing so that we can have earlier interventions on people who might be headed to being really sick.  If we can diagnose and monitor someone and offer some treatments EARLY in the course of the illness, that can keep them out of the ICU altogether.  That's important, and we're not there yet.  We can be, but we aren't there yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

So you're saying that it's definitely time to take a cruise ship out of Galveston, then?

That'd be about as advisable as standing downwind from the fire pit and pissing on it, imho. 

53 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Like there's anyone in Mississippi capable of counting to 1200.

I’m teaching my kids social studies during the pandemic. They are 9 and 7 (4 year old works on coloring with the wife). Our social studies has been watching America the story of us. We pause and talk about what it’s saying and what that means to us every 5 or so minutes, and then they write a summary, answer some questions and they get to pick a spring board to study more in depth something that interested them. 

Anyway, this week was civil war. In 1860 right before the civil war, Mississippi had more millionaires than any other area in the world at that time. I didn’t know that. Knew cotton was big business but didn’t know there were THAT many millionaires there. 

Really fun trying to explain racism to them. They literally don’t  see color. My 7 year old told me his friend cricket (black) looked just like his cousin. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, B00M said:

Now you're just being argumentative. The places successfully fighting back the spread are checking for fevers. It's way cheaper, easier, and faster. Lots of folks out there that would know better than you are I seem to believe asymptomatic folks are less contagious.

How about this.  They cannot even fucking make sure people pay their fares.  How the hell are they going to afford to pay enough people to be posted at EVERY subway station to check fucking temperatures.  

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m teaching my kids social studies during the pandemic. They are 9 and 7 (4 year old works on coloring with the wife). Our social studies has been watching America the story of us. We pause and talk about what it’s saying and what that means to us every 5 or so minutes, and then they write a summary, answer some questions and they get to pick a spring board to study more in depth something that interested them. 

Anyway, this week was civil war. In 1860 right before the civil war, Mississippi had more millionaires than any other area in the world at that time. I didn’t know that. Knew cotton was big business but didn’t know there were THAT many millionaires there. 

Really fun trying to explain racism to them. They literally don’t  see color. My 7 year old told me his friend cricket (black) looked just like his cousin. 

He has a black friend that goes by "cricket"?

CHIEF

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

How about this.  They cannot even fucking make sure people pay their fares.  How the hell are they going to afford to pay enough people to be posted at EVERY subway station to check fucking temperatures.  

There's no way there's a solution for this... Oh wait, 1st Google result:

https://www.bioworld.com/articles/434446-mass-fever-scanner-could-reduce-spread-of-covid-19

If your next response is going to be "but we can't fucking afford that" .. Please, just spare us

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

As a kid, we took plenty of family trips that took us east on I-10.  I could be asleep in the back, and know the second we crossed from Louisiana to Miss, because the road turned to shit and got all bumpy.  That's right, in the 70s, Miss was noticeably poorer and shittier than....Louisiana.

Being built on an agrarian economy and NOT getting lucky by finding oil under the dirt (looking at you, TX, OK, and LA), coupled with a stubborn refusal to join the modern era....not a recipe for economic success.

4 minutes ago, B00M said:

https://www.bioworld.com/articles/434446-mass-fever-scanner-could-reduce-spread-of-covid-19

If your next response is going to be "but we can't fucking afford that" .. Please, just spare us

So let's say you put that in place.  How are you going to get the person who trips it out, safely?  You going to depend on the MTA cops to do this?  

• Like 1

And here's a good piece from the Montreal Gazette (I read because the girl lives there now):  https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/q/wcm/16ac5b52-6c78-4fd2-ae32-194b57dcac37

I agree with his take and recommended approach, and the fact that he acknowledges the uncertainty built into everything.

Dr. Jay Kaufman, an epidemiologist at McGill University, spoke with the Montreal Gazette about the situation and the road ahead.

Q: Premier François Legault has delayed the reopening of non-essential businesses in Montreal, saying the situation is still unstable. Why is Montreal still the epicentre of the virus, despite all the measures Quebec has taken?

A: I think there’s a lot of head-scratching from experts all over the world about why some places in the world are more severely affected than others. There are often countries right next to each other, with very similar populations, that are impacted very differently. I don’t think you could say the government of Quebec must have done something wrong.

I don’t think the Italians necessarily did anything wrong to be the first country in Europe that was so severely affected. Greece has almost no cases and Italy was the epicentre of Europe for a long time, and it’s very hard to understand why one country was affected and not the other.

It is pretty clear that Quebec was vulnerable because there were very close connections to New York, where there was a lot of disease circulating early on. We have very close connections to Europe as well. There was a holiday at the beginning of March, and so there were a number of cases associated with travel.

I am shocked that Toronto wasn’t more affected than it was. I don’t really know how to explain that.

The Quebec epidemic, of course, is focused mostly in the long-term care facilities and hospitals. The government has said that they recognize now that those institutions were weak and vulnerable and a lot more should have been done ahead of time to strengthen those institutions, and I agree with that.

Q: In recent days we’ve been seeing outbreaks in certain neighbourhoods that were not severely affected at the beginning. Why is this happening?

A: I think we’re entering a later phase of the epidemic. Early on in the epidemic, the biggest risk factor was to have recently travelled. It’s not the case now.

Where is the transmission happening? It’s in hospitals and long-term care facilities. My assumption on why these neighbourhoods are being affected is that they are the places where the workers in these institutions are living. That’s very much the pattern that we saw in New York. The cause turned out to be mostly occupational — that these are people who are working in hospitals, in public transport, in prisons, places where there’s a lot of transmission and infection.

Q: Some critics have said the Quebec government is moving too fast on reopening schools and businesses. What is your view?

A:I think there’s a limit to how long you can shut down society, both in economic terms and psychologically. I think we have to be very cognizant of the fact that we have to return to some kind of social and economic life, because we can’t bear to shut down forever.

I’ve been arguing for a long time that preschool and elementary school are places where we really do need to open up. We know that the youngest people are at the least risk, and we also have a fair amount of evidence now that they are least likely to transmit the illness.

I hear parents saying, “I’m very worried about sending my kids back to school.” But there’s not enough acknowledgment about the incredible risks of keeping kids at home. Schools provide really essential services for kids: they provide structure and social life. It’s been seven weeks now since school went out. We have increased rates of abuse and violence. That’s not a safe situation either. I have small kids, so I’m very interested in this issue.

Q: Premier Legault walked back his comments on sending children back to school as a way of developing herd immunity. Is the concept of herd immunity useful?

A:It’s not an answer to the problem. Our problem is that there’s this new disease and we are susceptible to that disease. To say that our strategy is going to be herd immunity is just to say our strategy is to let everybody get infected.

Sweden had a more minimal response compared to other countries. They have a very high mortality rate and they’re very severely affected compared to their neighbours. So I don’t think that’s anybody’s model of how they want to go through this problem.

These measures of closing things down are only to buy time. The hope is that by buying this extra time, we get more protective equipment, gloves and masks and gowns for medical personnel, better treatments for people when they’re hospitalized, and more time before we finally get a vaccine.

Q: Is it a good idea to reopen non-essential businesses in Montreal on May 18?

A: We’ve done things in grocery stores to make them safer. They’ve limited the number of people going in. They’ve erected plastic barriers and they have you sanitize your hands when you go in. My impression is that people in general are not getting infected by going to the grocery store. We figured out how to have people go into the store and get the things that they need without infecting themselves or others. That gives me a lot of hope that we can do the same thing for other kinds of stores. If we can go into a store safely to buy a head of lettuce, we should be able to go into a store and safely buy a pair of shoes.

It’s going to be a challenge in closed spaces like the shopping malls under the city. I don’t know when we’re going to be able to access those again safely.

It seems increasingly that the transmission is largely from droplets that come from your mouth when you cough or you sneeze. Some are relatively large and fall to the floor very quickly. But micro particles linger in the air for some time.

If you have a closed area where people are closely packed, people can be exposed to those micro particles. But if you have a lot of ventilation, you dramatically reduce the risks.

Q: How do you envision the months and years ahead?

A: I imagine that in the next few years, there’s going to be a lot of either testing or contact tracing or both.

I expect we’re basically going to return to commercial activity and schooling, with distancing measures in place.

I don’t know the solution to the métro at rush hour. Masks are going to help, but when you’re all packed in like sardines in the métro, I don’t think the mask is going to necessarily save you. So we definitely need some more creative solutions, like more telecommuting.

I thought it particularly interesting that he noted both the common and unlikely vectors for transmission now.

Common -- healthcare workers etc. bringing it home and out with them.  SO, if we better protect those folks on the job, the less likely they are to spread it.

Unlikely -- grocery stores etc.  From a public health perspective, we're really not hearing of any/many cases of people picking up the illness by going shopping in a low-density situation, where people wear masks, and there's decent ventilation.  It's pretty much safe to shop, in those circumstances.

Again, we can't eradicate the disease and the risk.  We just need to keep the risk at a manageable level till we either have very effective treatments, or a vaccine.  And we can do so by being smart in both our systems and behaviors.  We don't have to stay in our houses forever.  Businesses don't have to stay closed.  Yes, we won't have music festivals for a while, and packed bars on Saturday night is probably unwise.  But otherwise....life has to continue.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, B00M said:

ANYONE WANT TO SHARE DATA OR NEWS FROM ACROSS TEXAS? Fuck this NY tax and transit talk and dry fuck China. For good measure, fuck you too. 

I went and looked at the COVID-19 dashboard and looked at their source data to figure out growth rates of cases and fatalities. 

First, Texas has tested 455,162 (they do not provide, or I couldn't find, daily testing numbers over time so I can't tell how much it has increased.) and 35390 cases for a cumulative positive case to testing percentage of 7.78%.  For reference, NY and NJ were hitting 50% I think at their peak.  I'm certain that number was higher for us but has declined as testing has increased.  Can't prove it though due to lack of information provided.

Second, the case growth has slowed.  Using a 7 day average starting on April 1st, our 7 day average increase in daily cases has gone from 22.67% on 4/1 to 3.5% as of yesterday.  

Third, the fatality growth has slowed.  Using a 7 day average starting on April 1st, our 7 day average increase in deaths has gone from 28.89% on 4/1 to 3.77% yesterday.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, B00M said:

Am I the only one who doesn't need a thermometer to know that I have a fever?  When I have one, I feel like shit.  If you feel like shit, stay home.  Who are these people running around society with a raging fever?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

For your morning livestock update, the run away train in meat values seems to be slowing a bit, with 2-3% gain in pork and beef. I think wholesale values will probably confirm a peak in the next 7 days, but the retail pipeline will remain dodgy for awhile, especially as food service comes back(or doesn't). Expectations are for another improvement in packer runs today so we will see if that confirms, but barring a collapse, production should be up 10-15% on the week. 

I like to read these in Charlie Farquharson's voice of the KORN news update

Charlie-F-KORN-news.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

I went and looked at the COVID-19 dashboard and looked at their source data to figure out growth rates of cases and fatalities. 

First, Texas has tested 455,162 (they do not provide, or I couldn't find, daily testing numbers over time so I can't tell how much it has increased.) and 35390 cases for a cumulative positive case to testing percentage of 7.78%.  For reference, NY and NJ were hitting 50% I think at their peak.  I'm certain that number was higher for us but has declined as testing has increased.  Can't prove it though due to lack of information provided.

Second, the case growth has slowed.  Using a 7 day average starting on April 1st, our 7 day average increase in daily cases has gone from 22.67% on 4/1 to 3.5% as of yesterday.  

Third, the fatality growth has slowed.  Using a 7 day average starting on April 1st, our 7 day average increase in deaths has gone from 28.89% on 4/1 to 3.77% yesterday.  

I've looked but haven't seen the data for daily tests.  I do know that as of 4/18 Texas was right at 250k tests (I have a post from that day).  We were also right at 10% positive test when we were in the 250-300k range.  

Guest Lobo
6 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

BeeGees, Travolta, Peggy Lee, The Black Keys, Springsteen, Ted Nugent

I just repped you, but you left off Foreigner so I may have to report your post and ask you be banned.  I can overlook forgetting Donna Summer, Three Dog Night, and even the Black Keys...but you forgot "Got a fever of 103"??? C'mon man. This is basic science.  

27 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I've looked but haven't seen the data for daily tests.  I do know that as of 4/18 Texas was right at 250k tests (I have a post from that day).  We were also right at 10% positive test when we were in the 250-300k range.  

Scroll down to infections and testing (second chart) and click on daily tests.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/texas

ETA: I should add that the chart is interactive, so you can slide your cursor along the line to see the exact daily figures. Looks like there's a few days lag on the data though.

Edited by bolverk

42 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So let's say you put that in place.  How are you going to get the person who trips it out, safely?  You going to depend on the MTA cops to do this?  

Here's what happens when you don't wear a mask at Wally World. Extrapolate from this.

12 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Scroll down to infections and testing (second chart) and click on daily tests.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/texas

ETA: I should add that the chart is interactive, so you can slide your cursor along the line to see the exact daily figures. Looks like there's a few days lag on the data though.

thx.  So through May 1st it looks like we've got from about a 10% infection rate on 4/1 to 5% today.  Cases are increasing but rates decreasing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Oh great, Mrs. Brat just got a birthday card from Amarillo. Fml

26 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I just repped you, but you left off Foreigner so I may have to report your post and ask you be banned.  I can overlook forgetting Donna Summer, Three Dog Night, and even the Black Keys...but you forgot "Got a fever of 103"??? C'mon man. This is basic science.  

no love for The Band??  maybe the best fever song ever.

So if you want to go work in NYC, and your bosses say no, you probably should STFU and stay home.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-austin-nurse-fired-after-going-to-new-york-to-help/269-6b3bbc3e-342d-49c9-b39a-ebc2fb71ef42

The neonatal intensive care unit nurse could no longer do nothing. With her family's blessing last month, she answered Cuomo's call.

Even when it gets hard, she has no regrets.

"The patient said, 'I want you to do everything that you can for me,' and I actually ended up losing that patient. It was devastating, but I know that I did everything that I could for him and I was there with him and for that patient. And I won't ever regret any decision I made. If that's the only decision or the only difference that I make here, if that's it, anything that I've sacrificed to be here, it's worth it," Anderson said.

She has sacrificed. Anderson lost her job at Ascension Seton when she chose to take the four-week stint in New York/

She showed KVUE the series of text messages with her supervisor where last month Anderson asked for a leave of absence. She also told her supervisor she would get her shifts covered.

But her supervisor didn't approve, citing staffing issues and saying she would be abandoning the unit. She also told Anderson if she left, she would lose her job and would not be hireable at any Ascension Seton sites.

She was told she'd lose her job and not work at another Ascension hospital again.  She still did it.  Have no reason why.

"That was my frustration at all of it. I felt like I tried to do everything that I could," Anderson said.

Anderson works six days a week. She stays at a Midtown hotel where they are putting her up for free. Every night, she video conferences with her family – a 4-year-old, 18-month-old twins and her husband. 

There is a program if she wanted to travel, but it would involve going where the system needed her, not where she wanted to go.

However, if an associate feels called to travel during the pandemic to support the work being done in other states, they have a critical staff travel program where frontline caregivers are granted temporary assignment to another Ascension ministry site that is experiencing a surge in COVID-19 patients."

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away