Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

NSIAP

Rona in your skeet

Hide contents

Traces of the COVID-19 coronavirus have been found in the semen of some severely infected men, raising the possibility that the virus might be sexually transmitted, a new study from China claims.

Researchers found evidence of the virus in six men out of a group of 38 COVID-19 patients at Shangqiu Municipal Hospital in China who provided samples.

The six men included four who were still infected and two who were recovering, the researchers said.

It's not surprising that the virus was found in semen samples, since it's also been found in stool and other body fluids, said Dr. Ryan Berglund, a urologist with the Cleveland Clinic's Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute.

Infectious viruses commonly are found in semen, with Zika being one recent notable example. The Chinese researchers noted that 27 different viruses have been detected in human semen.

However, Berglund and infectious disease experts warn that this does not constitute concrete evidence that COVID-19 can be sexually transmitted.

"I think that's premature," Berglund said. "You have to look at this as a sign that semen, as along with a number of other body fluids, can contain the virus."

The new paper comes on the heels of another study from China that found no traces of coronavirus in 34 men with mild to moderate cases of COVID-19. That study was published in late April in the journal Fertility and Sterility.

Dr. Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar with the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security in Baltimore, said "the fact that the novel coronavirus' genetic material is found in the semen of male patients is an important finding that will need follow-up study."

Agreeing with the need for further research is Dr. Greg Poland, director of the Vaccine Research Group at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

"To me, it raises a warning, and now we have to attend to that warning and do the research," Poland said.

But both Adalja and Poland have doubts about the potential for COVID-19 to be sexually transmitted.

"We know the virus is transmitted efficiently through the respiratory route and we have not seen any documented cases of sexual transmission, therefore this may not necessarily represent proof of sexual transmissibility via the male genital tract," Adalja said.

Poland noted that the new study relies on testing that only detects traces of genetic material from the coronavirus.

"It doesn't tell you that it's whole, viable, infectious virus," Poland said. "If I ground up the virus and performed this test, it would be positive even though that virus has no infectious potential."

Shit, South Austin's Mom's has Corona on her back in the shape of a map of Hawaii.....

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

In San Antonio? Have you ever been to San Antonio?

Also, feel free to read through the page you just linked. Are you fucking serious right now?

Example:

March 23 – Des Moines, IA: An Asian American woman was waiting in line at a bakery when a white couple said, “Oh gosh, not here” and “fled” to another line when they saw she was Asian. (Source: Des Moines Register

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, StruggleBus said:

Also, feel free to read through the page you just linked. Are you fucking serious right now?

Example:

March 23 – Des Moines, IA: An Asian American woman was waiting in line at a bakery when a white couple said, “Oh gosh, not here” and “fled” to another line when they saw she was Asian. (Source: Des Moines Register

So it's not happening?

6 hours ago, Somnio said:

So I noticed these two posts were negged.  I'm curious as to why. 

Are we now negging people who post info we don't like?  Or maybe you believe the information is false, and the poster is intentionally spreading lies?  Is there some history here, and you just don't like the person posting?

I'm just trying to understand, as the information seems reasonable and relevant to this thread.  It doesn't seem like it belongs in the Cloak Room.  What's going on here?

@Cheeseweasel, why you being a snowflake bitch boy?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StruggleBus said:

Example:

I grew up in San Antonio lol. And yeah, I did read through some of that page - you sure do like to cherrypick and ignore other actual instances.

Spoiler

May 3 – New York, NY: An Asian man was attacked on the subway by a stranger who shouted at him, "You're infected China boy, you need to get off the train." The assailant then grabbed the victim and attempted to pull him out of his seat. (Source: NY Daily News) 

April 25 – Pasadena, CA: An Asian man was walking with a friend when a motorist drove past and yelled at them, “Fucking Asians, motherfuckers. You brought this disease here.” Source: NextShark 

April 19 – San Francisco, CA: An Asian American woman was harassed while walking her dogs. She was told to "Go back to whatever fucking country you came from" and that "nasty people should stay in fucking Asia." (Source: Facebook) 

April 18 – Atlanta, GA: A plaque of Winnie the Pooh using chopsticks to eat a bat and the words “Wuhan Plague” was found outside a coffee shop. The plaque was also reportedly posted at other locations around East Atlanta on April 13 and April 16. (Source: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution) 

April 17 – Philadelphia, PA: (Date approximate) An Asian-owned restaurant was vandalized with spray-painted graffiti that included the racial slur “Chink.” Source: WHYY 

April 16 – Brooklyn, NY: An Asian woman was walking on the street in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood when two men harassed her with remarks about Chinese people and called her a “Fucking freak.” (Source: Reported to ADL) 

April 15 – Newton, MA: A high school advance placement Chinese class held on Zoom was disrupted by individuals who targeted the students and teachers using racial slurs and loud mock-Chinese, and posting “vile, hate-filled images.” (Source: Boston Globe) 

April 8 – Houston, TX: A woman verbally harassed employees of a Vietnamese restaurant, telling them, “Get out of our country.” (Source: ABC-13) 

I guess I'm sorry that your feelings were hurt by people trying to minimize public racism?

6 minutes ago, Bigbend1812 said:

So, can I still say “Fuck China” ?

As long as you include "Fuck Mexico" while their national team is playing soccer

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I grew up in San Antonio lol. And yeah, I did read through some of that page - you sure do like to cherrypick and ignore other actual instances.

Hide contents

May 3 – New York, NY: An Asian man was attacked on the subway by a stranger who shouted at him, "You're infected China boy, you need to get off the train." The assailant then grabbed the victim and attempted to pull him out of his seat. (Source: NY Daily News) 

April 25 – Pasadena, CA: An Asian man was walking with a friend when a motorist drove past and yelled at them, “Fucking Asians, motherfuckers. You brought this disease here.” Source: NextShark 

April 19 – San Francisco, CA: An Asian American woman was harassed while walking her dogs. She was told to "Go back to whatever fucking country you came from" and that "nasty people should stay in fucking Asia." (Source: Facebook) 

April 18 – Atlanta, GA: A plaque of Winnie the Pooh using chopsticks to eat a bat and the words “Wuhan Plague” was found outside a coffee shop. The plaque was also reportedly posted at other locations around East Atlanta on April 13 and April 16. (Source: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution) 

April 17 – Philadelphia, PA: (Date approximate) An Asian-owned restaurant was vandalized with spray-painted graffiti that included the racial slur “Chink.” Source: WHYY 

April 16 – Brooklyn, NY: An Asian woman was walking on the street in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood when two men harassed her with remarks about Chinese people and called her a “Fucking freak.” (Source: Reported to ADL) 

April 15 – Newton, MA: A high school advance placement Chinese class held on Zoom was disrupted by individuals who targeted the students and teachers using racial slurs and loud mock-Chinese, and posting “vile, hate-filled images.” (Source: Boston Globe) 

April 8 – Houston, TX: A woman verbally harassed employees of a Vietnamese restaurant, telling them, “Get out of our country.” (Source: ABC-13) 

I guess I'm sorry that your feelings were hurt by people trying to minimize public racism?

So out of hundreds of millions of citizens, this is the best you have? Nobody is defending public racism. 

Go ahead and admit it. San Antonio is being retarded. You know it, I know it, we all know it. 

Edited by StruggleBus
  • Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

They will start drinking unsafe sources of alcohol. I know this from clinical experience. I’ve caught patients buying pump hair spray in the gift shop to drink because of the alcohol content. I’ve ordered beer ( like ordering Tylenol for fever) for patients to keep them from dangerous withdrawals.

... what do you charge for a 'scrip?

29 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

As long as you include "Fuck Mexico" while their national team is playing soccer

So out of hundreds of millions of citizens, this is the best you have? Nobody is defending public racism. 

Go ahead and admit it. San Antonio is being retarded. You know it, I know it, we all know it. 

Oh sorry, I thought this was the non political thread. Is it allowed only if it's bashing a progressive stance or action? 

Because I'm pretty sure downplaying the severity of the pandemic and lying about the availability of testing and opening before we meet the guidelines for opening is pretty retarded too, but you tend to get banned for saying that in this thread. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 7

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Oh sorry, I thought this was the non political thread. Is it allowed only if it's bashing a progressive stance or action? 

Because I'm pretty sure downplaying the severity of the pandemic and lying about the availability of testing and opening before we meet the guidelines for opening is pretty retarded too, but you tend to get banned for saying that in this thread. 

Bashing utterly stupid actions is within bounds, left or right....and this is weapons-grade, virtue signaling stupidity.  Layered with other pressing matters such as getting people back to work and reigniting a collapsing economy, this is utterly indefensible.  

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Bashing utterly stupid actions is within bounds, left or right....and this is weapons-grade, virtue signaling stupidity.  Layered with other pressing matters such as getting people back to work and reigniting a collapsing economy, this is utterly indefensible.  

So, what is your stance on the injection of disinfectant? 

Edited by Dahobbs

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

So, what is your stance on the injection of disinfectant to treat infection? 

Considering it (PUL-042)  was recently approved for clinical trials by the FDA.....why don't we just wait and see.  But you already know that, right.....

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Considering it (PUL-042)  was recently approved for clinical trials by the FDA.....why don't we just wait and see.  But you already know that, right.....

How is that relevant? 

Just now, Dahobbs said:

How is that relevant? 

How is the recently approved clinical trials of  PUL-204:  Inhalation Solution to Reduce the Severity of COVID-19 (which works as a "disinfectant") relevant to a discussion about one's stance on injection of disinfectant?  Is this a serious question?  Or should we give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were wanting to discuss Pulmonary Lavage, which has been around for decades.

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

How is the recently approved clinical trials of  PUL-204:  Inhalation Solution to Reduce the Severity of COVID-19 (which works as a "disinfectant") relevant to a discussion about one's stance on injection of disinfectant?  Is this a serious question?  Or should we give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were wanting to discuss Pulmonary Lavage, which has been around for decades.

Apples to oranges. It is a potential treatment, but it isn't a disinfectant. The mechanism of action is about boosting the immune response, not directly killing the virus. You're not under the impression that being inhaled makes it a disinfectant, are you? Hell, even things like antibiotics that do directly kill microorganisms are considered separate from disinfectants. 

Edited by Dahobbs

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Apples to oranges. It is a potential treatment, but it isn't a disinfectant. The mechanism of action is about boosting the immune response, not directly killing the virus. You're not under the impression that being inhaled makes it a disinfectant, are you? Hell, even things like antibiotics that do directly kill microorganisms are considered separate from disinfectants. 

You're being intentionally obtuse.  You are falling back on the vernacular of "disinfectants" akin to Lysol and Bleach.  So you can use Lysol as a synonym for disinfectant but others can't use disinfectant as synonym for something that counters an 'infectant'?

As your delay indicated as you furiously googled PUL-204, did you happen to read about the intent of the injection being to have the lung produce ‘superoxide and peroxide’ which “disinfects” them.  As can UV light - also being tested.  Super Oxides have long been researched for their potential in killing germs, viruses, etc, inside the body. In the case of the company spotlighted in this study. The application does indeed have the potential to treat Pneumonia inside the lungs of Covid patients.

And yes OXIDE is a DISINFECTANT.  Is the Super Oxide of medical research and potential internal treatments the same as the Oxide used in household disinfectant? No, but it is derived from the same chemical compound. And it was never mentioned from the standpoint of a common household disinfectant. 

Go troll somewhere else....unless you want to switch the conversation to Pulmonary Lavange and talk about decades worth of internal flushing, often with saline, or in dire times with additives used to.....wait for it....

• Like 3

Texas is likely undercounting COVID deaths

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/05/08/texas-coronavirus-deaths-count-1000/

Provisional death counts from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Texas saw 824 more deaths than usual from March 22 to April 11 of this year. During the same time, Texas had reported just 249 deaths linked to the coronavirus.

Hayward said undercounts were “probably huge” at the beginning of the outbreak in Texas, when tests were even more scarce and medical examiners and coroners may not have known to look for signs of the virus. Asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic patients may never have been tested at all, especially if they died outside hospitals.

Some COVID-19 patients with pre-existing conditions, like heart disease, may have died of them, but perhaps more quickly than they would have without contracting the virus. Cases like that make it difficult to pinpoint an exact tally.

When you see overall mortality spike (didnt see %) during outbreaks, but that don’t come close to Corona deaths, that likely means an undercount.

Anecdotes of overcounting should be balanced with anecdotes of funeral home directors being overwhelmed in hot zones and zero testing/postmortems on home pickups.

3 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Texas is likely undercounting COVID deaths

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/05/08/texas-coronavirus-deaths-count-1000/

When you see overall mortality spike (didnt see %) during outbreaks, but that don’t come close to Corona deaths, that likely means an undercount.

Anecdotes of overcounting should be balanced with anecdotes of funeral home directors being overwhelmed in hot zones and zero testing/postmortems on home pickups.

As well as reconciled with significant hospital (who are facing massive budget shortfalls) financial incentives to label the COD as COVID, even when other factors were present.  It's hard to know all the facts.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

As well as reconciled with significant hospital (who are facing massive budget shortfalls) financial incentives to label the COD as COVID, even when other factors were present.  It's hard to know all the facts.  

That's a great new talking point to be wheeled out to try and minimize the severity of the pandemic. Do you have any evidence or proof of that allegation, or do you think doctors around the country are all conspiring to commit fraud? @ChiTownDoc must be in on it too then, right?

• Like 4

Guest Lobo
8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My county health director just posted a thing on Facebook about reopening, and one thing he mentioned but didn’t explain is that they are expecting results from a wastewater epidemiology test. 
anyone know what that is or what it could reveal?

That works out well because I'm fairly certain about 3 weeks ago, I shit the cure out.  Along with some chinese food, a gallon of vodka, and a sandwich from texas honey ham.  Is it political to describe my bowel movements during Covid-19 as "Absolutely Electric"?  Levity aside---that's not a crazy idea to start getting some denominators by testing wastewater supplies.  You can't call it a perfect test until you're ready to get your hands dirty ;)  It's one of the better ideas I've heard this week though.  

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My county health director just posted a thing on Facebook about reopening, and one thing he mentioned but didn’t explain is that they are expecting results from a wastewater epidemiology test. 
anyone know what that is or what it could reveal?

I recall reading some stuff that, given fecal shedding, wastewater testing could be used to gauge extent of community infection. 

• Like 2

Just now, Anastasis said:

I recall reading some stuff that, given fecal shedding, wastewater testing could be used to gauge extent of community infection. 

I wonder what the threshold is for detection, and how to decipher the data? I can shit like a goose 3-5 times daily. Mrs. CHIEF can hold that shit in for days. Seems like if this works, you could have someone come and swab your sewer clean out and have it tested. Not sure how well it would work at a big centralized waste water facility.

CHIEF

This. You're not in any danger of getting it through the tap or anything, but the virus has been observed in stool. Tracking wastewater is a way you can catch an outbreak before it shows up in testing data.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

You're not in any danger of getting it through the tap or anything

Unless of course we have a heavy rain and it overwhelms the water treatment facilities and we go on an extended boil water notice again. That seems like something that would amuse the people that are running the simulation. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

You're being intentionally obtuse.  You are falling back on the vernacular of "disinfectants" akin to Lysol and Bleach.  So you can use Lysol as a synonym for disinfectant but others can't use disinfectant as synonym for something that counters an 'infectant'?

I'm being obtuse? Nobody calls antibiotics "disinfectants." 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disinfectant ("disinfectants are generally distinguished from other antimicrobial agents such as antibiotics")

https://microchemlab.com/introduction-disinfectants (" Disinfectants are different from antibiotics, though both kill germs and both are considered to be antimicrobial. Generally speaking, disinfectants destroy many components of microorganisms at once and are not safe to ingest or inject. Antibiotics, on the other hand, usually disrupt one or a few parts of microorganisms and have relatively little toxicity to the body.")

As your delay indicated as you furiously googled PUL-204, did you happen to read about the intent of the injection being to have the lung produce ‘superoxide and peroxide’ which “disinfects” them.  As can UV light - also being tested.  Super Oxides have long been researched for their potential in killing germs, viruses, etc, inside the body. In the case of the company spotlighted in this study. The application does indeed have the potential to treat Pneumonia inside the lungs of Covid patients.

I don't know what PUL-204 is. But PUL-042 is not called a disinfectant by anybody. But it may enhance immune response, which could include reactive oxygen species produced by the body, thus treating infection (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_oxygen_species). 

https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04312997 ("Adults who have tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 infection and who do not require supplemental oxygen will receive PUL-042 Inhalation Solution or placebo 3 times over a one week period in addition to their normal care. Subjects will be be followed and assessed for their clinical status over 28 days to see if PUL-042 Inhalation Solution improves the clinical outcome")

https://pulmotect.com/product/ ("Pulmotect’s lead product, PUL-042, is a clinical stage inhaled therapeutic that in preclinical studies stimulates the innate immune system in minutes to provide immediate and effective protection against all major classes of pathogens that lasts for days.")

https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-drug/def/tlr-2-6-9-agonist-pul-042 ("A solution consisting of a combination of two toll-like receptor (TLR) ligands: Pam2CSK4 acetate (Pam2), a synthetic diacylated lipopeptide (LP) that is an agonist of TLR2 and TLR6 (TLR2/6) and the TLR9 agonist oligodeoxynucleotide (ODN) M362, which contains unmethylated CpG-based dinucleotides, with potential immunostimulating activity.")

And yes OXIDE is a DISINFECTANT.  Is the Super Oxide of medical research and potential internal treatments the same as the Oxide used in household disinfectant? No, but it is derived from the same chemical compound. And it was never mentioned from the standpoint of a common household disinfectant. 

Oxide of what? You're just typing words.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Captainant said:

That's a great new talking point to be wheeled out to try and minimize the severity of the pandemic. Do you have any evidence or proof of that allegation, or do you think doctors around the country are all conspiring to commit fraud? @ChiTownDoc must be in on it too then, right?

New? It’s been a right wing talking point 

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Y'all should both get that checked out

We both work from home. I can't remember the last time I had the hair stand up on my arms from needing to take a shit.

The waste water tracking seems like a pipe dream. How do you determine how many people the facility is serving? You have commercial businesses with slow days, and heavy days. How many people are in each household? How many have a lot of visitors? How much does each and every person shit a day? Isn't one of the occasional symptoms of COVID diarrhea? It just seems like there are too many variables. I would love for it to work, but everyone would need a tally sheet in each bathroom. First, you shit in a bucket, and weigh it on your mattress scale. Write the weight down on the tally sheet with the name of each shitter, the weight of their shit, and the day said shit happened. At the end of the week send your weekly shit weight report to the waste water facility (along with a TPS report, be sure to keep a copy). 

CHIEF

The underpasses are looking horrible these days. I assume they are coronavirus magnets as there is socializing instead of social distancing. What happened? They were clear a few months ago.

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

New? It’s been a right wing talking point 

"Literally nothing out there supports that deaths are being deliberately miscategorized as Covid 'because money' in any way, shape, or form, but it sure does fit my world view nicely!"

• Like 4

Tried going through 2 different CFA drive thrus at 2pm today, the line at one was so long it creates issues at the stop light intersection. The other one clogged up an entire shopping center. Unreal, at 2, not even peak lunch!

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

It was already addressed upthread in an article or two, plus ChiTown and somebody else - whether a death is labeled COVID or not has less  influence on whether a hospital or state is going to get federal dollars for covid stuff, versus other non-medical factors.    

Faking the cause of death on a handful of patents doesn't move the needle.  In order to really move the needle in an effort to get a lot of money, you'd have to have fraud on a very large scale, the kind of scale that just doesn't work because it's too easy to expose/discover.

And that doesn't address the criminal and financial risks doctors/pathologists/hospitals would be going through to maybe squeeze a few more federal bucks out.

You would be asking doctors, and others, to risk their entire careers and potentially freedom, for financial incentives that may not even go to the hospitals where they work.

• Like 4

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away