Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, FartingMonk said:

Pretty rare to me

Those are just deaths, not hospitalizations (and, again, not up-to-date). I'd expect hospitalizations of varying levels to be a multiple of those numbers. As I said, individual risk is low, but the aggregate is high enough that the term "rare" seems inappropriate. Just for context, we see 51 lightning related fatalities per year and 16 shark attacks per year.  

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yeah, that’s 5 percent of positive test. The actual death rate for people between 45-55 that have had the virus must be much lower.

5% of deaths.  0.2% of positive tests (as of today.  I don't know what our test number was on the day we had 80k deaths). 

Edit - nvm, the CDC chart seems to have lumped the total cases to include up to 64...wish numbers were a little more consistent from chart to chart.  

Edited by UT_OB1

No, it is based on the death certificates it has reviewed to date. Those total 60,304 Covid-19 deaths. It it behind the other counts just because it takes time to submit and review death certificates. 
Relative percentages from the NCHS data are as follows:
Row Labels Sum of COVID-19 Deaths Percentage of Deaths
All sex 60,304 100.0000%
Under 1 year 4 0.0066%
1-4 years 2 0.0033%
5-14 years 7 0.0116%
15-24 years 65 0.1078%
25-34 years 421 0.6981%
35-44 years 1,040 1.7246%
45-54 years 2,979 4.9400%
55-64 years 7,343 12.1766%
65-74 years 12,695 21.0517%
75-84 years 16,360 27.1292%
85 years and over 19,388 32.1504%
Grand Total 60,304 100.0000%

What’s sad is when you see circle graphs about what age groups are infected most...middle aged probably take up 85% of the positives but 85+ make up the most % of the dead despite being a sliver on the circle graph

55 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Rarity though right?  

I can only answer for the ICUs and hospitals that I work in, so yes, for an Austin-area person in their 30s with no other health complications, it's relatively rare to be on the vent in the ICU. However, it's relatively common, even for that specific patient population, to spend a bit of time in the ICU, so I'll direct you to a post I made concerning a very common condition that is suffered by people who are in the ICU even for a short amount of time: 

And I can tell you that a lot of our non-vented COVID+ patients are experiencing some level of ICU-delirium. It's not always as bad as what I described in the above post, but I promise you it's not fun. Too, even if you're able to keep yourself out of the ICU with COVID, the rest of the hospital isn't a great place to be right now either, even moreso if you're on the COVID floor. 

Just don't be lackadaisical about how you protect yourself as well as others. Be decent. Be thoughtful. Stay at home as much as possible. 

Edited by trauma babe
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What’s sad is when you see circle graphs about what age groups are infected most...middle aged probably take up 85% of the positives but 85+ make up the most % of the dead despite being a sliver on the circle graph

I think that's based on the stigma.  You have Karen say oh my kids can't get it.  So I'm not going to waste my time getting them tested.  But Karen has a cough or a wine hangover and she and all her friends who were over for wine night get tested multiple times.  I actually think if we did wide spread testing on children we would be able to get better information on how wide spread it is even though they show little to no signs.  An infection is an infection.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I assume NCHS (who by god, by title alone, should be quite accurate) is basing those numbers off the roughly 92,000+/- that have died thus far? 

That makes me feel a hint better, I thought my bracket was making up more like 5% of all deaths.  But yeah, as aggregate, this thing is wiping out way more people under 65 than I think most Americans realize.  Never mind what we're passing along to our own parents.  

Actually, I think we realize that 20% or fewer of those deaths are below 65 

29 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I don't want to sound ungrateful to the good people at NCHS, but 60,000 deaths was 3 weeks ago.  If they need 3 weeks to review the date of birth and date of death on a certificate and then do the maths, I'm more than happy to help.  The idle brain power and computing capacity in this country right now is nearly infinite.  They should outsource some of this shit so we can get close to real time data.  I know there's more to do it than calculating age, but this seems like a time to start using outsourcing.  You can strip the name off the certificate and just scan them out to local agencies for review.  I dunno, but we just went through a half decade in this country talking about "Big Data" and how all these computers were gonna model shit for us and let us see into the future with so much more precision.  And here we are, every government agency at every level dragging us on everything that involves data.  

The states and counties have to submit the data. I think that is a larger contribution to the lag than the actual review. 80% are electronically processed within seconds once received, but 20% require hand review for some reason (probably because of how the states and counties are submitting the information). 

Edited by Dahobbs

One thing on death rates I haven't really seen discussed. If this coronavirus works like flu where hot weather dampens its effect, then bear in mind the whole southern hemisphere was in summer when this broke out and potentially they are heading into it. 

The seasons are about to reverse. 

If you go apples to apples you have to go by weather zones, density, age, and access to international travel. And of course access and quality of testing. 

Point being NYC was always going to be a shitshow this winter, and New Zealand never would. 

Edited by bullzak
I feel like it
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yeah, that’s 5 percent of positive test. The actual death rate for people between 45-55 that have had the virus must be much lower.

It is just a percentage of reported deaths. It isn't meant to reflect CFR or IFR at all. 

32 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

I'll withhold judgment till we see how spread out people were able to be.  Outdoor shows, with people at a reasonable distance from each other, may be something that can go forward.

• Like 3

Guest Lobo
56 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Actually, I think we realize that 20% or fewer of those deaths are below 65 

Said most, not all, not this board, not you.  If you think 50%+1 of Americans understand how even basic statistics work, you're dead wrong.  
Simple test, poll 100 Americans on the street.  "10% of Americans have been tested for Covid-19.  If next week, we are up to 15% of Americans having been tested.  What percent increase is that?" 51% or more will say that's a 5% increase.  I'd say about a third will say it's a third.  and the rest will say "don't know/not sure."  50%+1 of all Americans think that under 65% deaths account for maybe 5-10% of all deaths, if you asked them to put a number to it.  it's a narrative we see and hear constantly, at least here in Texas.  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Said most, not all, not this board, not you.  If you think 50%+1 of Americans understand how even basic statistics work, you're dead wrong.  
Simple test, poll 100 Americans on the street.  "10% of Americans have been tested for Covid-19.  If next week, we are up to 15% of Americans having been tested.  What percent increase is that?" 51% or more will say that's a 5% increase.  I'd say about a third will say it's a third.  and the rest will say "don't know/not sure."  50%+1 of all Americans think that under 65% deaths account for maybe 5-10% of all deaths, if you asked them to put a number to it.  it's a narrative we see and hear constantly, at least here in Texas.  

Well, they account for around 20%, which isn't wildly off target from a guesstimate of 10% -- the point being, it's a pretty low percentage.

As we get more data, we know more.  And bottom line, 12,000 (out of that 60k, so yeah, dial that up to probably 18,000 out of 90k now) Americans under the age of 65 have died.  That's...not good.  But it's also not catastrophic.  Better data helps us make focused, educated decisions going forward.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Some evidence that reinfection may be highly unlikely:

No No No, the news prints scary stories using anecdotal evidence that say we will get infected over and over again. I'm going to side with fear and against science and the decades of evidence that our bodies are pretty good at creating lasting immunity to viruses in the same family as SARS-CoV-2.

You're gonna die in there!!

spacer.png

Edited by Newdoc
phrasing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Relative percentages from the NCHS data are as follows:

Row Labels Sum of COVID-19 Deaths Percentage of Deaths
All sex 60,304 100.0000%
Under 1 year 4 0.0066%
1-4 years 2 0.0033%
5-14 years 7 0.0116%
15-24 years 65 0.1078%
25-34 years 421 0.6981%
35-44 years 1,040 1.7246%
45-54 years 2,979 4.9400%
55-64 years 7,343 12.1766%
65-74 years 12,695 21.0517%
75-84 years 16,360 27.1292%
85 years and over 19,388 32.1504%
Grand Total 60,304 100.0000%

A point of clarification when looking at the middle age mortality statistics. Yes, some of these people are healthy and draw a bad straw but there are a lot of sickly people in the middle age group including those past 25-30 years old. It is amazing to me how people past 25 seem to just give up on being healthy. Some of it is a bad genetic draw but most is poor lifestyle choices concerning health.

If you or a loved one are unhealthy please see a doctor about making significant changes to get your health back on track. It will take some time to get everything in order but you can make changes in the next few weeks that could mean the difference between getting Covid and feeling crappy at home for a week or two or hospitalization and a vent. Plus life just feels better when you take care of yourself.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

No No No, the news prints scary stories using anecdotal evidence that say we will get infected over and over again. I'm going to side with fear and against science and the decades of evidence that our bodies are pretty good at creating lasting immunity to viruses in the same family as SARS-CoV-2.

You're gonna die in there!!

spacer.png

"I trust science" mixed in with a little 'Fake News!" rant.

i like it.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, trauma babe said:

Last week I had a COVID+ patient with no comorbidities, in their early 30s, who was stuck on the ventilator. They might live; they might not. You might not die, but you also might.

No value judgement. I just don't want people thinking their age is necessarily protecting them from the worst of Corona. It can get anyone.

A friend has two teenage children (normal kids with no apparent underlying conditions) currently on vents. One has been on a vent for probably close to two weeks. They are starting to improve, so the general feeling is that they aren’t going to die from this, but it didn’t seem that way a week ago. Who knows what the long term effects they’ll experience.

Maybe there’s some genetic factor, maybe the family just caught some bad breaks, and surely the kids are in the vast minority, but it still happens. I’m not sure how you could bounce back from losing two kids to this.

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Galveston is gross like your fun old divorced aunt who chain smokes and sun bathes and loves Jimmy Buffett and drank margaritas with you when you were in high school. Bolivar is gross like her slightly older, harder partying cousin from the other side of the family who has lived in a trailer on your aunt's property since getting out of jail and maybe went down on you when you were drunk off margaritas. 

37kv8f.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Galveston is gross like your fun old divorced aunt who chain smokes and sun bathes and loves Jimmy Buffett and drank margaritas with you when you were in high school. Bolivar is gross like her slightly older, harder partying cousin from the other side of the family who has lived in a trailer on your aunt's property since getting out of jail and maybe went down on you when you were drunk off margaritas but you aren't sure. 

You described my aunt almost to a t. No more smoking since she got a new heart.

Just now, Judge Roybeanbag said:

They did the math precisely.  2 acres and 600 people works out to a 72.6” square around each person.   I’m sure they all stayed in their square.  

Well, if family/friend units stayed together, it probably wasn't terrible.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I'll withhold judgment till we see how spread out people were able to be.  Outdoor shows, with people at a reasonable distance from each other, may be something that can go forward.

They did the math precisely.  2 acres and 600 people works out to a 72.6” square around each person.   I’m sure they all stayed in their square.  

17 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Galveston is gross like your fun old divorced aunt who chain smokes and sun bathes and loves Jimmy Buffett and drank margaritas with you when you were in high school. Bolivar is gross like her slightly older, harder partying cousin from the other side of the family who has lived in a trailer on your aunt's property since getting out of jail and maybe went down on you when you were drunk off margaritas but you aren't sure. 

You say that like it’s a bad thing...

21 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

God Bless Texas

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

A point of clarification when looking at the middle age mortality statistics. Yes, some of these people are healthy and draw a bad straw but there are a lot of sickly people in the middle age group including those past 25-30 years old. It is amazing to me how people past 25 seem to just give up on being healthy. Some of it is a bad genetic draw but most is poor lifestyle choices concerning health.

If you or a loved one are unhealthy please see a doctor about making significant changes to get your health back on track. It will take some time to get everything in order but you can make changes in the next few weeks that could mean the difference between getting Covid and feeling crappy at home for a week or two or hospitalization and a vent. Plus life just feels better when you take care of yourself.

This - there are those born with an illness (FIL has diabetes since he was a child eg) but plenty of others have eaten themselves into bad shape (my BIL & SIL are both fat and now their kids are getting to be fat as well)

My BIL & SIL could easily make changes in diet, eating amounts, exercise etc to move themselves into a less risky position. Challenge is most Americans are lazy and don't want to do the hard work it can take or exercise the self discipline you need to lose and keep weight off.

Until data shows (and admittedly it is early stages still) that this disease hospitalizes and kills healthy (non-obese) people 50 and younger at scale (every disease has freakish "I can't believe they died" one offs) I am not worried for myself or my family. People like my mom (fat, old and underlying condition) yes. My mom's dumb ass is already planning 5 cruises for the fall so ultimately as an adult if she chooses to put her ass at risk, it is her choice. This is also difference between the US and other places, we typically get to make choices for ourselves.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

This - there are those born with an illness (FIL has diabetes since he was a child eg) but plenty of others have eaten themselves into bad shape (my BIL & SIL are both fat and now their kids are getting to be fat as well)

My BIL & SIL could easily make changes in diet, eating amounts, exercise etc to move themselves into a less risky position. Challenge is most Americans are lazy and don't want to do the hard work it can take or exercise the self discipline you need to lose and keep weight off.

Until data shows (and admittedly it is early stages still) that this disease hospitalizes and kills healthy (non-obese) people 50 and younger at scale (every disease has freakish "I can't believe they died" one offs) I am not worried for myself or my family. People like my mom (fat, old and underlying condition) yes. My mom's dumb ass is already planning 5 cruises for the fall so ultimately as an adult if she chooses to put her ass at risk, it is her choice. This is also difference between the US and other places, we typically get to make choices for ourselves.

Yeah, you shouldn't be that worried about you dying. You should be worried about you infecting someone else and them dying. At least, that is how I feel. Also, most of our population isn't healthy, so there are a lot of people in the at risk bucket. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This has way too much detail and bizzaro to be imaginary. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Was the aunt with the trailer your moms sister or dads?

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Bad news although it seems like Tues may be a big data aggregation day.   If I recall correctly, the teenager that died several weeks back was included in a big grouping like this but then the news reports indicated she actually passed on a Saturday or Sunday.  But regardless that sucks. 

Does anyone else flip flop almost daily about how cautious you and your family should be?  And I see it potentially starting to strain relationships around family that are on one extreme or the other.  The point I just made over lunch to my wife when we were discussing this is honestly nobody should judge anyone's decisions as far as staying secluded or venturing out.  There are reasonable positions on each side at this point.  

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Bad news although it seems like Tues may be a big data aggregation day.   If I recall correctly, the teenager that died several weeks back was included in a big grouping like this but then the news reports indicated she actually passed on a Saturday or Sunday.  But regardless that sucks. 

Does anyone else flip flop almost daily about how cautious you and your family should be?  And I see it potentially starting to strain relationships around family that are on one extreme or the other.  The point I just made over lunch to my wife when we were discussing this is honestly nobody should judge anyone's decisions as far as staying secluded or venturing out.  There are reasonable positions on each side at this point.  

I don’t necessarily disagree with that.  Where it gets to be a problem for me is if you’re having to work say in an office setting with all these other people, all it takes is one or two of them not giving a fuck, and then your whole office is exposed.  Despite the rest of you who were trying to take precautions.  That kind of pisses me off.

• Like 2

I don’t flip flop but I’ve been in the reopen albeit cautiously camp for sometime. I haven’t been in a dept store, grocery or drive thru in 2 months, all curbside. My masked wife ventured into target for the first time yesterday to get a few things(she did to my surprise).

My in laws are in the strict camp where they won’t do or even talk about doing anything in the near future. I don’t either but I’m more lapsed on covid since it all began . I’ve been going back to work and my wife is going back soon. We’re pretty much in the fuck it if we get it we get it mode. We curiously want to get an antibody test just to see if this weird thing she had in April was it or not.

For the record, I’m pro re-open.  My concern has always been a lack of an effective strategy if things get bad.  The goal should be to avoid a future lockdown by working together to contain outbreaks.  I can only hope Texas knows what they’re doing. Stay safe folks.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Skipper said:

So far my ex-wife and I are of like mind in each exercising caution by not venturing out to restaurants, barber shops, gyms, retail stores, etc., at least not for several weeks until we get a better understanding of how the re-opening of Austin shakes out. 

But on Saturday I went over to a friends' house for a socially-distanced outdoor happy hour (which turned out to be closer to five hours than one).  We stayed six feet apart, they wiped down their lounge chairs, I brought my own alcohol, and when I had to pee I went at the edge of their backyard which borders a greenbelt instead of using their bathroom.  We're likely going to do that again, regardless of whether the City and County lift the prohibition on gatherings outside of the household.  I know many others are doing that as well, and I have a feeling my ex is not too keen on that.  And I'm sure she wouldn't approve of my dating during quarantine.   

• Like 3

For your livestock update, packer runs continue to rise with cattle nearing 85% of capacity, and hogs about 83%, fresh pork continues to edge lower, but remains about 30% ahead of normal, fresh beef faded as well but looks to be getting into its plateau and roughly 80% ahead of normal for this time of year. At the pace we are recovering packer capacity, the first full week of June should have us back to 100% or so. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Royalfan5 said:

For your livestock update, packer runs continue to rise with cattle nearing 85% of capacity, and hogs about 83%, fresh pork continues to edge lower, but remains about 30% ahead of normal, fresh beef faded as well but looks to be getting into its plateau and roughly 80% ahead of normal for this time of year. At the pace we are recovering packer capacity, the first full week of June should have us back to 100% or so. 

Captain, engineer reports 105 percent on the reactor possible, but not recommended. Captain Tupolev : Go to 105 percent on the reactor.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

anecdotal, but the CoVid test results came back for the gf's father; positive and told to quarantine since he is contagious once again after being sick from 3/30 to 4/12. This is one bitch disease.

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I'm having this exact issue with my family right now.  We go to the beach for a week every summer - my parents, sister's family and my family - and have been doing this almost every year going back to when we were little kids ourselves.  We stay in the same beach house and I look forward to it every year and love it, my kids love it too, especially since their cousins are older than them and they idolize them.  My sister lives north of Dallas and her 16 year old daughter now works at a Chick-fi- A, and her husband is a Project Manager for a construction company and has been working/going to his office through this whole ordeal.  We live in East Texas and live down the street from my in-laws who are 67 and 73 but in pretty good health.  I told my mom last week that I didn't think we were going to go down if my sister and her family were going to be there as well.  I barely had the words out of my mouth and my mom starts in on me with a lecture about how we're going to have to leave the house eventually and what are you going to do in the fall when the kids go back to school, etc. and I snapped.  I wasn't cussing, but it was very obvious that I was pissed off about her second guessing my decision and lecturing me.  She took offense to my reaction and didn't understand why my mom couldn't comment on my decision (not at all what it felt like to me).

I can see both sides of this coin and did not say anything about my perception of the risk of my parents being exposed to my niece.  Pops is 67 years old, 30 lbs. overweight, has emphysema, and still hits the lung darts.  The chances are if he gets CV19 that it's not going to be a mild case.  I'm more concerned about my family exposing my in-laws than I am the exposure to us.  If she doesn't agree with my decision, I get it, but I don't get lecturing someone for their decision in this current situation.  Especially when they are erring on the side of caution.  I wouldn't have any issue about going to the beach and hanging out with everyone, but spending a week in the same house with someone who works at a Chick-fil-A is too big of a risk for me.  

Now we are in a stand off to see who is going to reach out first and I hate it.  I'll bite the bullet and check in at some point in the next few days, but this shit sucks.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, achooloco said:

anecdotal, but the CoVid test results came back for the gf's father; positive and told to quarantine since he is contagious once again after being sick from 3/30 to 4/12. This is one bitch disease.

was he confirmed positive test from the early april sickness?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away