Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I'm having this exact issue with my family right now.  We go to the beach for a week every summer - my parents, sister's family and my family - and have been doing this almost every year going back to when we were little kids ourselves.  We stay in the same beach house and I look forward to it every year and love it, my kids love it too, especially since their cousins are older than them and they idolize them.  My sister lives north of Dallas and her 16 year old daughter now works at a Chick-fi- A, and her husband is a Project Manager for a construction company and has been working/going to his office through this whole ordeal.  We live in East Texas and live down the street from my in-laws who are 67 and 73 but in pretty good health.  I told my mom last week that I didn't think we were going to go down if my sister and her family were going to be there as well.  I barely had the words out of my mouth and my mom starts in on me with a lecture about how we're going to have to leave the house eventually and what are you going to do in the fall when the kids go back to school, etc. and I snapped.  I wasn't cussing, but it was very obvious that I was pissed off about her second guessing my decision and lecturing me.  She took offense to my reaction and didn't understand why my mom couldn't comment on my decision (not at all what it felt like to me).
I can see both sides of this coin and did not say anything about my perception of the risk of my parents being exposed to my niece.  Pops is 67 years old, 30 lbs. overweight, has emphysema, and still hits the lung darts.  The chances are if he gets CV19 that it's not going to be a mild case.  I'm more concerned about my family exposing my in-laws than I am the exposure to us.  If she doesn't agree with my decision, I get it, but I don't get lecturing someone for their decision in this current situation.  Especially when they are erring on the side of caution.  I wouldn't have any issue about going to the beach and hanging out with everyone, but spending a week in the same house with someone who works at a Chick-fil-A is too big of a risk for me.  
Now we are in a stand off to see who is going to reach out first and I hate it.  I'll bite the bullet and check in at some point in the next few days, but this shit sucks.

lol no offense but the last paragraph made me laugh because I know this is going on everywhere in the world.

35 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Bad news although it seems like Tues may be a big data aggregation day.   If I recall correctly, the teenager that died several weeks back was included in a big grouping like this but then the news reports indicated she actually passed on a Saturday or Sunday.  But regardless that sucks. 

Does anyone else flip flop almost daily about how cautious you and your family should be?  And I see it potentially starting to strain relationships around family that are on one extreme or the other.  The point I just made over lunch to my wife when we were discussing this is honestly nobody should judge anyone's decisions as far as staying secluded or venturing out.  There are reasonable positions on each side at this point.  

Tuesday is always the big day - The Surly

seriously, as long as you are being careful and respectful of distance of others and wear a mask if you are talking or when in a store that requires them, I'm not sure what else you can do really.  staying away from the olds/nursing homes is a given.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

I like Most of the usual spots in Texas for fishing and leisure , I had just never heard of that bolivar peninsula area.  Probably would have had I been born here.
Florida beaches run the full gamut from really nice to worse than anything in that video could possibly dream of.   I have a good working knowledge of many of them because I went to college in Florida and have some family/good friends there.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, you shouldn't be that worried about you dying. You should be worried about you infecting someone else and them dying. At least, that is how I feel. Also, most of our population isn't healthy, so there are a lot of people in the at risk bucket. 

Agreed. Just looking at through lens of if someone who has underlying health conditions chooses to go out into the world, I shouldn't have to shelter in place to protect them from themselves. I am willing (and do) wear a mask when I go out. I wash hands religiously but am starting to open up my life (had dinner out Friday night), am going to a friend's house for Memorial Day etc.

People are stupid.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Does anyone else flip flop almost daily about how cautious you and your family should be?  And I see it potentially starting to strain relationships around family that are on one extreme or the other.  The point I just made over lunch to my wife when we were discussing this is honestly nobody should judge anyone's decisions as far as staying secluded or venturing out.  There are reasonable positions on each side at this point.  

Yep.  We have older relatives that we would have to travel to see (which we do every summer and over Christmas), which means public restrooms, etc., although we could bring our food and what not, and gassing up can be done safely.  But we could possibly be putting them at risk.  And out of the half-dozen+ relatives over the age of 65, only one of them has no underlying conditions that I'm aware of.

Next week, there is a manned rocket launch at Kennedy in Florida, would love to take the kids, and we have a van and tents, so we could bring all of our food and necessities, the only "contact" would be gassing up, and the fact that public urination and defecation laws vary from state to state, and we may have encounters with local law enforcement.  I need to research this more.

We also do grocery and errand runs for some older in-laws and an elderly neighbor, so we are still being careful anyways.

But this shit is wearing pretty thin.  And we've got family members on different extremes, although it seems influenced by whether they are having to care for elderly relatives or not.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

was he confirmed positive test from the early april sickness?

They wouldn't give him a test back then. But he had fever, loss of smell and taste, cough, and diarrhea (and I think I'm missing some of the other symptoms he had) from 3/30 to 4/12. As for now, he says he feels fine outside of once again losing the sense of smell. So there is the outside chance he never had it back in early April but.... despite not staying at holiday inn last night, i doubt it.

Sure, the CoVid test now could be wrong but the reason he finally was able to take it was because the abx test he took last week told him he had long term and short term abx (in my mind proving he had it back in early april but i'm willing to hear theories). So either the CoVID test from this last week might be wrong, or he is contagious again. Since we know fuck all about this disease, I'm not sure which is a more reasonable conclusion. I sure as hell hope he isn't contagious but we have two current tests pointing in that direction.  

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Galveston is gross like your fun old divorced aunt who chain smokes and sun bathes and loves Jimmy Buffett and drank margaritas with you when you were in high school. Bolivar is gross like her slightly older, harder partying cousin from the other side of the family who has lived in a trailer on your aunt's property since getting out of jail and maybe went down on you when you were drunk off margaritas but you aren't sure. 

Pics of this aunt ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Galveston is gross like your fun old divorced aunt who chain smokes and sun bathes and loves Jimmy Buffett and drank margaritas with you when you were in high school. Bolivar is gross like her slightly older, harder partying cousin from the other side of the family who has lived in a trailer on your aunt's property since getting out of jail and maybe went down on you when you were drunk off margaritas but you aren't sure. 

And then she wants to introduce you to her daughter and her two grandkids, who's dad ain't shit and will be in Huntsville at least another two years. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with that.  Where it gets to be a problem for me is if you’re having to work say in an office setting with all these other people, all it takes is one or two of them not giving a fuck, and then your whole office is exposed.  Despite the rest of you who were trying to take precautions.  That kind of pisses me off.

This.  I'm in this boat.  Thankfully, I have my own cabin and a bitchin' mask.

Update 5/19/20

Travis County WuFlu Deaths

3/27: 1 death

5/15: 74 deaths

5/16:77 deaths

5/17: 77 deaths

5/18: 79 deaths

5/19: 79 deaths (total)...92 - Hospitalized, 35 - ICU, 21 - Ventilator

Last 5 days: +5 deaths (-2)

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

Rare footage of local Austin resident coming back to life

4cd549d2c069d244cd809bdf0ace8b7d.gif
  • Like 2

We let our 9 and 11 year olds start soccer back with their teams.  The difference between the two teams was crazy.  Older kid's team had rules - no huddling up, don't touch other kid's equipment or soccer balls, don't drink out of anyone else drink, bring hand sanitzer, coach wore a mask.  But they did actual soccer drills which requires contact.

Younger kid had a doctor mom come out and educate them this morning on social distancing.  Then she handed out masks and all the kids practiced in masks and I guess are going to do so for the next few weeks until the season officially ends.  Its getting hot and humid to wear a mask for 60-90 minutes.  Also concerned about their breathing while running.  They did no contact drills and had 5 sanitizer breaks.

23 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

We let our 9 and 11 year olds start soccer back with their teams.  The difference between the two teams was crazy.  Older kid's team had rules - no huddling up, don't touch other kid's equipment or soccer balls, don't drink out of anyone else drink, bring hand sanitzer, coach wore a mask.  But they did actual soccer drills which requires contact.

Younger kid had a doctor mom come out and educate them this morning on social distancing.  Then she handed out masks and all the kids practiced in masks and I guess are going to do so for the next few weeks until the season officially ends.  Its getting hot and humid to wear a mask for 60-90 minutes.  Also concerned about their breathing while running.  They did no contact drills and had 5 sanitizer breaks.

I’m a mask proponent but that’s ridiculous, making them practice with them.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Where do you go to the beaches in Texas?  Padre?

Or are you one of those fancy folks who go to Florida?

As somebody raised in Westlake by native West Austinites, I nearly broke my eyeballs looking down my nose in horror at that video.

Edited by Bateshorn

5 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

As somebody raised in Westlake by native West Austinites, I nearly broke my eyeballs looking down my nose in horror at that video.

I'm embarrassed to be in the same species as those in bred looking fucks, and I come from a long line of redneck, country folk.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

are they just practicing or will there be games?  I don't see the point of wearing masks and no contact in practice if the games are going to be played at full speed with normal rules.

We are just sitting out volleyball that is trying to finish the season that started in March for my youngest.  But there is usually a summer basketball league that I coach my oldest in that would probably start up in late June.  Will just have to see if the league OKs going forward and what the situation is at that point.  

As someone who dons a mask every time I go to a store or pick up food, I cannot see that being a solution for youth sports, even for practice.  Either the team/league feels comfortable enough to play or they don't.

• Like 1

Doctor Mom: "The masks are there to keep you from touching your face.  Do you all understand, do not touch your face!"

Little kids: "FUCK YOU BITCH I'M GOING TO TOUCH MY FACE 5 TIMES A MINUTE, AND AT LEAST TWO OF THOSE TOUCHES WILL BE MY MOUTH AND TWO MORE WILL BE PICKING MY NOSE, AND THEM I'M GOING TO RUB MY EYES!"

That’s stupid. Those kids should not be running around in a mask for 60-90 minutes in 90+ weather. Absurd. 

• Like 5

are they just practicing or will there be games?  I don't see the point of wearing masks and no contact in practice if the games are going to be played at full speed with normal rules.
We are just sitting out volleyball that is trying to finish the season that started in March for my youngest.  But there is usually a summer basketball league that I coach my oldest in that would probably start up in late June.  Will just have to see if the league OKs going forward and what the situation is at that point.  
As someone who dons a mask every time I go to a store or pick up food, I cannot see that being a solution for youth sports, even for practice.  Either the team/league feels comfortable enough to play or they don't.

They are probably just enforcing those rules so they are covered if one of the parents lawyer up if/when their Brad/Karen gets it.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

There may be a tournament but probably not. Tryouts for next year are in about 4 weeks, so it’s really just trying to get back into form. And obviously the parents paid and the coaches feel an obligation to fit it some of the developmental practices that were lost. Season should’ve be over in April/early May. 

I know a lot of the parents have to be rolling their eyes at the masks, but the mom is nice and everyone likes the family. And she’s trying to do the right thing. If it was the beginning of the year, we’d have no choice but to push back and say we just can’t do this. For 3-4 weeks, I bet everyone just lets it happen.  

it’s going to be pathetic how much these kids touch their sweaty faces though. 

Edited by Don Johnson

So I have a question about coronaviruses in general,  we call it flu season during the winter for a reason so is there any reason at all to think that this won't follow that pattern? Other than it being created solely to fuck up humans I mean. Unless this truly is an extraordinary virus I hope like hell that the numbers drop drastically over the next few weeks and maybe we can all let our guard down for a couple of months.

Guest Lobo

I for one, am damn skippy happy, that my heavy lobby to get skating rinks in Texas opened back up for Summer.  Because I too, like in 1973.  

4 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

So I have a question about coronaviruses in general,  we call it flu season during the winter for a reason so is there any reason at all to think that this won't follow that pattern? Other than it being created solely to fuck up humans I mean. Unless this truly is an extraordinary virus I hope like hell that the numbers drop drastically over the next few weeks and maybe we can all let our guard down for a couple of months.

It may or may not follow that pattern. More people get sick in winter presumably because people are inside in closer contact with each other and because viruses survive longer in colder weather. But, if you have ever had a kid in daycare, you know that kids get sick anytime of year.

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

It may or may not follow that pattern. More people get sick in winter presumably because people are inside in closer contact with each other and because viruses survive longer in colder weather. But, if you have ever had a kid in daycare, you know that kids get sick anytime of year.

Yeah, I found this article - https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2010/11/study-novel-h1n1-just-sensitive-summer-fall-weather  and it looks like there was a study on H1N1 transmission wrt temp and humidity. Apparently we're likely fucked simply because there's a huge population with no immunity to this new variety. Article states, if I read it right, that with typical flu the temp and humidity can play a role but that's when it's loose in a population with some semblance of immunity. Now might not be the case. 

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Nevermind. Caught up on the thread. To be fair, the loss of smell could be seasonal allergies.

Which antibody test? Full draw, or finger prick?

That I don't know, will find out. (in regards to full draw or finger prick)

edit: could be a false positive on the CoVid but the antibody test said he had short term antibodies but i guess that also could have been lingering from April. As for allergies...eh, don't think so but I'll check. Catching up on rest of thread now.

Edited by achooloco
  • Fuck You 1

UT laying off some folks - hope nobody here is affected

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/university-of-texas-considering-furloughs-permanent-layoffs-to-deal-with-uncertainty-during-coronavirus-pandemic/

11 UT custodial workers just tested positive.   27 employees in total, 101 students (those idiots that went to Mexico really fucked it up).

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/11-university-of-texas-custodial-workers-test-positive-for-covid-19/

Amazon warehouse workers in San Marcos tested positive, as did an Amazon employee at the Austin Delivery Station.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/hays/multiple-employees-at-amazon-warehouse-in-san-marcos-test-positive-for-covid-19/

Testing women before they give birth, as several have tested positive after

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/having-a-baby-youll-be-tested-for-covid-19-before-you-deliver/

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away