Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

https://nypost.com/2020/05/26/men-with-long-ring-ringers-are-less-likely-to-die-from-the-coronavirus-study/

Men with long ring fingers are less likely to die from the coronavirus: study

Spoiler

Men with longer ring fingers may have a lower chance of dying from the coronavirus and could be more likely to face mild symptoms, according to a new study published in the journal Early Human Development.

The reason? The length of ring fingers is believed to be linked to how much testosterone men are exposed to in utero — the longer the finger, the greater the hormonal exposure. And testosterone is believed to protect against severe coronavirus-related illness because it increases the concentration of angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) in the body.

Earlier this month, researchers estimated that men, with no mention of finger length, are more than twice 

as likely to die from COVID-19 than women because of the greater presence of ACE2 found in their blood. ACE2, a receptor and a gatekeeper to cells, binds to the coronavirus, allowing it to cause infection.

So while it may not stop them from getting the coronavirus, it could be a sign that the symptoms won’t be as severe. Other studies suggest that even higher levels of ACE2 — thought to create greater entry points for the virus to infect cells — can protect men against lung damage, the Daily Mail notes.

With regards to the lungs, the coronavirus is known to lower the number of ACE2 receptors once inside the body. But it appears that men who have higher levels of the enzyme could be better protected from the disease’s wrath than men with a lower count.

The Swansea University-led researchers pored over data from 200,000 people across 41 countries where they measured volunteers’ ring fingers in relation to their index fingers to the nearest millimeter. A smaller “digit ratio” means the ring finger is longer, and this trait was found in countries including Malaysia, Russia and Mexico — where the COVID-19 fatality rate was lower. Countries where men have a higher digit ratio, meaning the ring finger is shorter, include the United Kingdom, Spain and Bulgaria — where there’s been a higher fatality rate.

On average, men in countries with longer ring fingers have a death rate of 2.7 per 100,000. For the countries where there’s shorter finger length, the average is 4.9 per 100,000.

Guest Lobo

What about men with just creepily small hands in relation to their overall body size?  It is well over 10" to get from my pinkie to my thumb tip.  from the beginning of my finger web to the tip of my ring finger is 3.5"  I should be in charge of everythin!  

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Any links to that data?  

If it like most places on the CDC site, the pnuemonia deaths are inclusive of Covid pnuenomia deaths. 

The proper evaluation is

2020 PNA ~= annual PNA + Covid.

Like Indiana is really close.  TN, WV under-reported.  Everyone else over-reported.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

so flu turns to pneumonia mark it flu or pneumonia?

covid turns to pneumonia mark it covid or pneumonia?

According to the CDC Florida has 1,762 deaths from Covid and 5,185 from Pneumonia. If you average take the average number of Pneumonia deaths that occurred from Jan to March from 2013 to 2018, you get 1,210.

It seems like COVID deaths are being underreported, and/or our reporting apparatus is being gamed. Because the pneumonia numbers don't exactly line up without some OTHER cause or explanation for the extra 3500 pneumonia deaths compared to the last half decade.

47 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

On average, men in countries with longer ring fingers have a death rate of 2.7 per 100,000. For the countries where there’s shorter finger length, the average is 4.9 per 100,000.

I get that they're trying to dumb it down but that seems a stupid way to report the data.  The relationship is also fairly weak.  From the science direct link:

Fig. 1. The relationship between male mean right digit ratio per nation and log-transformed national case fatality rate (log CFR) in 41 nations. Note: y = −45.33 + 46.53 ∗ x; r2 = 0.12.

1-s2.0-S0378378220302929-gr1.jpg

males: right hand r = 0.34, p < .05 [Fig. 1], left hand r = 0.29, p = .07

Edited by WBT

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

According to the CDC Florida has 1,762 deaths from Covid and 5,185 from Pneumonia. If you average take the average number of Pneumonia deaths that occurred from Jan to March from 2013 to 2018, you get 1,210.

It seems like COVID deaths are being underreported, and/or our reporting apparatus is being gamed. Because the pneumonia numbers don't exactly line up without some OTHER cause or explanation for the extra 3500 pneumonia deaths compared to the last half decade.

my question was more of a medical one.  maybe one of the docs can weigh in.

Guest Lobo

We are going to be watching a feat of gravity in a few minutes, a rocket will launch Americans into outer space.  So it involves Gravity folks.  So please observe this trigger warning.  

36 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

All comorbidities are marked.

Common comorbidities usually have their own codes already as a combination.  Flu+pna as a combination has several codes under the PNA code range.

Covid has a unique standalone code.  So a covid+pna death should be marked as a viral PNA code plus covid code with the coroner specifying if there was a positive test or not.

Here's a shortlist of common respiratory codes:

aafp.com/fpm/2014/1100/p17.html

So like J18.XX+U7=probable covid+pna

J12.XX+U7=positive covid+pna

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We are going to be watching a feat of gravity in a few minutes, a rocket will launch Americans into outer space.  So it involves Gravity folks.  So please observe this trigger warning.  

Scrubbed until Saturday.

2 hours ago, Foosters said:

Been saying this shit forever.  I saw it first hand.  The fact that some people were saying C19 is overdiagnosed is pretty damn comical.  In real time you could see case after case get called something else - usually just viral PNA.  When individual doctors are seeing dozens, just extrapolate using the thousands of physicians out there. 

Also, I keep hearing 'don't you get paid more for diagnosing C19?'  Maybe there's some program out there?  Somebody please point me in the right direction. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

So, how many of those pneumonia cases were “over diagnosed”, as in provoking an underlying issue like a heart attack, stroke, or pulmonary embolism?

PNA is pretty hard to overdiagnose - it's obvious on a chest X ray...sure some could be a CHF exacerbation or chronic changes with COPD but comparing to old X-rays it shouldn't be missed.  The thing is to go that extra step and diagnose as Covid19 PNA, not just viral PNA, you need a test.  Early on you would have diagnosed someone with viral PNA and before they could get a C19 test, they're dead.  Hence, most in the industry agree, there's tons of patients that died from it that weren't marked as a C19 death. 

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

I meant to say flu cases.

Flu has a pretty easy and accurate test.  Maybe I'm not understanding you?  But just flu wouldn't be diagnosed as PNA.  Covid is very different from the flu in how it presents on a chest X ray.  It has some serious changes in many, if not most instances, whereas for the vast majority of flu cases you don't see those.  An internist/radiologist/pulmonologist could probably explain that better/provide more insight but I see tons of all of these.  

What I’m trying to say is that can’t the flu cause underlying issues to lead to death? In such cases the deaths could be classified as the underlying cause, not the flu?

A lot of the deniers seem to be claiming that fatal victims with Covid 19 and underlying issues should be classified as the latter, not the Covid. And that the hospitals are inflating the Covid numbers to be reimbursed more $$$$.

Was just trying to make an analogy.

I think Covid 19 victims are undercounted because of some home deaths not being tested.

• Like 1

Update 5/27/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Wuhan Flu Deaths - Cumulative total

3/27: 1 death

5/23: 83 deaths

5/24: 84 deaths

5/25: 84 deaths

5/26: 85 deaths

5/27: 88 deaths

Last Five Days: +5  (+3)

Travis County Health Care Stats: Current numbers

5/22: Hp - 96, ICU - 39, Vent - 24

5/23: Hp - 92, ICU - 38, Vent - 23

5/24: Hp - 82, ICU - 39, Vent - 21

5/25: Hp - 82, ICU - 39, Vent - 21

5/26: Hp - 90, ICU - 42, Vent - 25

5/27: Hp - 93, ICU - 41, Vent - 22

Last Five Days: Hp: -3, ICU: +2, Vent: -2

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

US Death Total 5/27/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 47,343 (53%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           41,927

Total:                                                           89,270

Top 5: Highest State Death Totals:

NY: 23,643

NJ: 11,339

Mass: 6,473

Pennsylvania: 5,152

Illinois: 4,715

Total: 50,794 (57.5% of total deaths)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/htmlview#gid=43566737

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

You mark both. 

48 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

What I’m trying to say is that can’t the flu cause underlying issues to lead to death? In such cases the deaths could be classified as the underlying cause, not the flu?

A lot of the deniers seem to be claiming that fatal victims with Covid 19 and underlying issues should be classified as the latter, not the Covid. And that the hospitals are inflating the Covid numbers to be reimbursed more $$$$.

Was just trying to make an analogy.

I think Covid 19 victims are undercounted because of some home deaths not being tested.

They try to count every contributing cause. Death certificates often have more than one factor listed as contributing to the death. 

And the reimbursement issue is silly. Medicare is reimbursing slightly more for Covid-19 related treatment than typical. But Medicare accounts only for 20 percent of healthcare spending in the US, and it pays substantially less than private insurance (provider agreements are often written as a multiple of medicare's reimbursement). I'm not aware of private insurers/self-funded employer plans offering the same increase in reimbursement for Covid-19 treatment. And, ultimately, if you're going to commit fraud, you might as well do so in way that is going to result in big bucks and not the chump change associated with Covid-19 treatments. 

If anyone has actual knowledge of providers falsely marking treatment as Covid-19 related, look into being a relator under the False Claims Act. Basically, a relator brings a fraud action on behalf of the government again the provider. If the case resolves successfully, the relator is line for a pay-day of up to 30 percent of the total recovered by the government.  

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 4

Been saying this shit forever.  I saw it first hand.  The fact that some people were saying C19 is overdiagnosed is pretty damn comical.  In real time you could see case after case get called something else - usually just viral PNA.  When individual doctors are seeing dozens, just extrapolate using the thousands of physicians out there. 
Also, I keep hearing 'don't you get paid more for diagnosing C19?'  Maybe there's some program out there?  Somebody please point me in the right direction. 

I cited my healthcare consultant wife, who says overcoding for C19 isnt a thing. Was told that other sources said it was and that I need to show pics of my wife.

Wont do that but imagine that Salma Hayek aged normally and knows medical coding and how hospitals actually get revenue.

6 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

I cited my healthcare consultant wife, who says overcoding for C19 isnt a thing. Was told that other sources said it was and that I need to show pics of my wife.

Wont do that but imagine that Salma Hayek aged normally and knows medical coding and how hospitals actually get revenue.

Are you saying Salma Hayek doesn't know those things? How dare you sir!

giphy.gif
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Are you saying Salma Hayek doesn't know those things? How dare you sir!

I take it that he's married to Salma Hayek and she knows all kinds of stuff.

Dunno why he won't post pictures. Not like we haven't seen her nekkit before.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Take that to Cloak Room.

Seriously . . . take it to Cloak Room. I don’t know when the last time the guys over there have seen a pair of tits like that. Might do them some good.

Probably when they passed around pictures of your mom. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo
3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Apparently the Wyoming governor just cancelled the largest 6 rodeos in the state, and people are going apeshit. 

Isn't Wyoming's 7th largest rodeo just a one-armed guy named Roscoe throwing pecans at a rabbit?  

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

You mark both. 

They try to count every contributing cause. Death certificates often have more than one factor listed as contributing to the death. 

if the flu/pna combo is marked which one does it go under when there are 30K flu deaths and 60K pna deaths reported in a year?

Guest Lobo
18 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I'm guessing you don't know much about rodeo or Wyoming. 

Nope, never got into humans riding animals for sport but I know it's a legit thing, just not my thing.    But I have back-country camped in every national park/national forest in Wyoming.  And I've been kicked out of a bar in Laramie and another one inside Yellowstone.  That ain't easy to do.  

Update 5/27/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Wuhan Flu Deaths - Cumulative total

3/27: 1 death

5/23: 83 deaths

5/24: 84 deaths

5/25: 84 deaths

5/26: 85 deaths

5/27: 88 deaths

Last Five Days: +5  (+3)

Travis County Health Care Stats: Current numbers

5/22: Hp - 96, ICU - 39, Vent - 24

5/23: Hp - 92, ICU - 38, Vent - 23

5/24: Hp - 82, ICU - 39, Vent - 21

5/25: Hp - 82, ICU - 39, Vent - 21

5/26: Hp - 90, ICU - 42, Vent - 25

5/27: Hp - 93, ICU - 41, Vent - 22

Last Five Days: Hp: -3, ICU: +2, Vent: -2

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

US Death Total 5/27/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 47,343 (53%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           41,927

Total:                                                           89,270

Top 5: Highest State Death Totals:

NY: 23,643

NJ: 11,339

Mass: 6,473

Pennsylvania: 5,152

Illinois: 4,715

Total: 50,794 (57.5% of total deaths)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/htmlview#gid=43566737

Crazy how 5 states can make up 50% of the deaths and none of the 5 are in the top 3 populous states in the country

6 hours ago, Foosters said:

The comparison numbers are off.  Way off. CDC reports 5248 pneumonia deaths for Florida weeks 5-21 this year. This includes 960 Covid cases, for a total of pneumonia without Covid of 4288.  See Table 2 here.

The last 4 years, average pneumonia deaths from weeks 5-21 was 3940.  You can download the data here.  Click downloads, then by state and select the years you want.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s like canceling the football season. Or the Houston, ft worth, San Antonio, mesquite rodeos. It’s the pro rodeo tour. It’s the largest events of the summer in the state. 

Or the fucking Catalina wine mixer!

• Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away