Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

12%

"Well above 10%!"

But, I'm proud of you for venturing out of your "every post is about NYC" comfort zone. Keep working at it.

you didn't think I could come up with a source that would say above 10% and then I threw the OMG science guys.adults in the room at you and predictably you focused on "well".

I know you really want it to be way lower. just admit it.  you keep fucking that chicken all the way to the CR.

Edited by dcar00
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

you didn't think I could come up with a source that would say above 10% and then I through the OMG science guys.adults in the room at you and predictably you focused on "well".

I know you really want it to be way lower. just admit it.  you keep fucking that chicken all the way to the CR.

You got called out on an exaggeration because you're incapable of making a post that's not crying about New York or making some sort of hyperbolic, drive-by post. 

12% is not "well above" 10% by any definition. Play word games if you want, but you and I both know you made a dumb comment. You could have just said "it's around 10%" and made a valid point.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

6 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I just wish there would be a massive Woodstock-like gathering of young people this summer. Call it, COVID Crush. A month-long party, June 1st through July 4, followed by a two week recovery (quarantine). That would at least establish herd immunity for college kids and we’d definitely have college football. They could just fill the lower sections of the stadiums with students and we could watch from the comfort of our homes.

That kind of just sounds like September at any given university. We would probably have to try to not have had 70% infected by the second week of school. 

Just now, BradInATX said:

You got called out on an exaggeration because you're incapable of making a post that's not crying about New York or making some sort of hyperbolic, drive-by post. 

12% is not "well above" 10% by any definition. Play word games if you want, but you and I both know you made a dumb comment. You could have just said "it's around 10%" and made a valid point.

you are the one playing word games.  12 is their best estimate.  they have estimations being higher.  You are incapable of a logical thought and yeah NY is a complete clusterfuck of incompetence, but that isn't due to covid.  you didn't think I could come up with anything above 10% until I quote the smartest fucking guys in the room.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I just wish there would be a massive Woodstock-like gathering of young people this summer. Call it, COVID Crush. A month-long party, June 1st through July 4, followed by a two week recovery (quarantine). That would at least establish herd immunity for college kids and we’d definitely have college football. They could just fill the lower sections of the stadiums with students and we could watch from the comfort of our homes.

Username checks out

39 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Logically, I see no reason to estimate flu deaths when the number is there in black and white.  Its a statistic.  why does it bother you that I might be bothered?

????? That isn't what we've been discussing. I just gave flu as an exemplar of how statistics are reported differently depending on the purpose and entity reporting. At any rate, that has been answered numerous times: we know that flu related deaths aren't accurately accounted for at the time of death because we don't put enough resources into doing so (and it generally isn't necessary). Estimation is an efficient way to get a more accurate picture of flu's contribution to overall mortality. 

Edited by Dahobbs

Just now, Dahobbs said:

????? That isn't what we've been discussing. I just gave flu as an exemplar of how statistics are reported differently depending on the purpose and entity reporting. At any rate, that has been answered numerous times: we know that flu related deaths aren't tracked accurately because it isn't generally necessary to do so, so some form of estimation is necessary to get a more accurate picture of flu's contribution to overall mortality. 

you keep using the term flu related deaths.  we have an actual number for flu deaths. we do track it accurately, its right there in black and white.

I understand your position though.

Just now, dcar00 said:

you keep using the term flu related deaths.  we have an actual number for flu deaths. we do track it accurately, its right there in black and white.

I understand your position though.

You very clearly do not. 

15 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

My son’s FIL, age 77,  passed away this morning from the Coronavirus. He had failing kidneys prior to going into the hospital, so it will be interesting to see if that is added to his death certificate.

RIP K.D. 

Sorry for your family’s loss Brat.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Conversely the Hong Kong Flu second wave was not as serious, but it was also overall not as deadly. It did spike up in winter months. However I don’t think near the precautions were taken that are being taken now. 

take 2 tylenol, call me in the morning and have mom make some chicken noodle soup

30 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

My son’s FIL, age 77,  passed away this morning from the Coronavirus. He had failing kidneys prior to going into the hospital, so it will be interesting to see if that is added to his death certificate.

RIP K.D. 

Sorry for you loss, Brat.

• Like 1

Cattle plants ran at 90% again today with improvement slowing a bit, boxed beef values faded a little bit again with good movement again this AM, hog plants gained again, and we are probably getting pretty close to being in balance there, fresh pork jumped this AM on what is likely export business. Retail prices are probably at a plateau for now until we can really chew into the backlog of animals, which we should be doing by mid-June. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I read recently that the second wave of the 1918 flu was a mutated version that was more deadly than the first wave. When you hear talk of the potential second wave of COVID-19 do keep this in mind. It may not mutate. It may mutate and be less serious. It may mutate and be more serious.

I think it was over half died of pneumonia, that could have probably been treated with modern medicine/medical gear, among other things.  

So we got that going for us.

And we, in theory, could transition to stay-at-home protocols much faster and easier, now that most people, organizations, and businesses have the drill down.   Of course, there will be idiots who did it the first time, didn't get sick, and therefore won't do it again, but I still think we could get a big chunk of folks to use proper protocols in very short order.

32 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

“Dr. Chowell told CNN the recent increase in cases was likely due more to expanded testing in the state rather than the reopening. He said he expected the current transmission rate to remain steady through the summer.”

So with it blowing up south of the equator now that they are entering their fall/winter cycle, and if Americans continue passing it around through the summer, the fall is going to be fucked up. 

AISD released a bunch of info in email this morning, @Larry T. Spider might be able to expand a little bit on it.

Their "what-if" scenarios are:

• What if we need to start sooner?
  • What if we have to start later and can't stick to our beginning date?
  • What about a combination of those options because we start on time, but have to include breaks in case of further outbreaks?

Their "high-level models" they are looking at are:

• Model 1: A face-to-face model with an early start and built-in extended breaks* (August–June).
  • Model 2: A face-to-face model with a delayed start and built-in extended breaks* (September–July).
  • Model 3: A blended face-to-face and distance learning model.

*The extended breaks may include intersessions where we connect with specific students who need additional instructional time.

They have to get the face-to-face stuff in there, to get grades from kids and catch those kids up who struggle.  And unfortunately, it's not one particular age-range - they need to make sure the elementary-aged kids are not falling behind (it would be disastrous for a lot of the young kids to fall behind and could set them back a year or two), and they've got to make sure the high school kids are as ready as can be for graduating.

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

Are we merely supporting science which supports our already formed opinions? I need to know how to proceed.

Unless Karen from Facebook changes your mind with an uber intelligent post.

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

AISD released a bunch of info in email this morning, @Larry T. Spider might be able to expand a little bit on it.

• What about a combination of those options because we start on time, but have to include breaks in case of further outbreaks?

• Model 1: A face-to-face model with an early start and built-in extended breaks* (August–June).
  • Model 2: A face-to-face model with a delayed start and built-in extended breaks* (September–July).

*The extended breaks may include intersessions where we connect with specific students who need additional instructional time.

They have to get the face-to-face stuff in there, to get grades from kids and catch those kids up who struggle.  And unfortunately, it's not one particular age-range - they need to make sure the elementary-aged kids are not falling behind (it would be disastrous for a lot of the young kids to fall behind and could set them back a year or two), and they've got to make sure the high school kids are as ready as can be for graduating.

My kids' school in DFW is going with model 1 but without the extended breaks already scheduled.  If they end up not needing them, they'll end school early.

4 hours ago, XYZ said:

Sending covid patients to nursing homes is not a bad decision. It’s voluntary manslaughter. One of the things we knew from the beginning is that covid killed mainly old people. Anybody with half a brain cringed upon reading that covid patients were being sent to nursing homes.

I think an interesting bit of knowledge would be the facility managers reactions to having those folks sent back to their facilities.  

Not sure if this violates Brads policy.  I didn't mention a specific city, maybe I'm safe....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is there any data on how the population has reacted to the reopening?  Using caution or reckless abandon?

Quite a few folks out and dining in midtown area. Not much social distancing in and around the piedmont park area.  Mask usage is about 50/50.  Traffic seems to be steadily  increasing but is still lighter than normal. 

36 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

No new info from me yet. Campus administrators are typically only finding out new info slightly before the public. I feel like they are listening to the different situations families are in and trying to make the best of it while keeping people safe. It’s just not going to be possible to please everyone with whatever the eventual “solution” is. I fully expect people to act like AISD shot their family dog when the plan is released no matter what they decide.

Somewhat related to Covid-19, a company has been selling a device called a 5GBioShield to protect users from the harmful effects of 5G (including Covid-19). 

Believers of 5G conspiracy theories have apparently been buying a $350 anti-5G USB key that—not surprisingly—appears to just be a regular USB stick with only 128MB of storage.

As noted by the BBC today, the "5GBioShield" USB stick "was recommended by a member of Glastonbury Town Council's 5G Advisory Committee, which has called for an inquiry into 5G." The company that sells 5GBioShield claims it "is the result of the most advanced technology currently available for balancing and prevention of the devastating effects caused by non-natural electric waves, particularly (but not limited to) 5G, for all biological life forms."

The product's website charges £283 for a single 5GBioShield, which converts to nearly $350. That's what it costs to get "protection for your home and family, thanks to the wearable holographic nano-layer catalyser, which can be worn or placed near to a smartphone or any other electrical, radiation or EMF emitting device."

"The 5GBioShield makes it possible, thanks to a uniquely applied process of quantum nano-layer technology, to balance the imbalanced electric oscillations arising from all electric fog induced by all devices such as: laptops, cordless phones, wlan, tablets, etc.," the company says, adding that the USB stick "brings balance into the field at the atomic and cellular level restoring balanced effects to all harmful (ionized and non-ionized) radiation."

When plugged in to our test machine we may have missed the bubble of "quantum holographic catalyzer technology" appearing.

The stick comes loaded with a 25 page PDF version of the material from 5GBioShield's website. It included a Q&A of distances for the "bubble" and how to know if it is working. It's an "always on" system apparently, is always working, powered or not, so no visual checks needed.

A review of the stick's properties revealed nothing more than what you'd expect from a regular 128MB USB key. We weren't even sure that 128s are still in production!

Ultimately, "the 5G BioShield is nothing more than a £5 USB key with a sticker on it," the people at Pen Test wrote. "Whether or not the sticker provides £300 worth of quantum holographic catalyzer technology we'll leave you to decide."

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/05/5g-conspiracy-theorists-sell-350-usb-stick-to-fight-electric-fog/

There is some great stuff in there from the company. Highly entertaining (and fraudulent). 

9 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

thanks to the wearable holographic nano-layer catalyser

Goddamit.  This era has really brought home to me one big lesson: I could be worth a kajillion dollars if I just didn't have a conscience and was willing to grift like a motherfucker.  "holographic nano-layer catalyser" -- that's f'n BRILLIANT.

• Like 3

So with it blowing up south of the equator now that they are entering their fall/winter cycle, and if Americans continue passing it around through the summer, the fall is going to be fucked up. 

Not really if the current trends hold up.

30 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Somewhat related to Covid-19, a company has been selling a device called a 5GBioShield to protect users from the harmful effects of 5G (including Covid-19). 

And you all laughed when I developed the SiberianTigerBioShield. HAVEN'T BEEN ATTACKED YET, BITCHES!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Larry T. Spider said:

No new info from me yet. Campus administrators are typically only finding out new info slightly before the public. I feel like they are listening to the different situations families are in and trying to make the best of it while keeping people safe. It’s just not going to be possible to please everyone with whatever the eventual “solution” is. I fully expect people to act like AISD shot their family dog when the plan is released no matter what they decide.

Some of those options also seem a little close to what UT is talking about - opening up, then closing down after Thanksgiving.  

I read recently that the second wave of the 1918 flu was a mutated version that was more deadly than the first wave. When you hear talk of the potential second wave of COVID-19 do keep this in mind. It may not mutate. It may mutate and be less serious. It may mutate and be more serious.
My understanding from reading up on the subject is that the 1918 flu mutation is considered an anomaly because the nastier strain of the virus, the one requiring soldiers to be transported bank home from the war, is what was spreading, while the soldiers with the less damaging strain were left in the trenches, which meant it didn't really spread beyond there.

That's the opposite of how it works normally - the lighter strain spreads because its hosts are up and moving and infecting others, while a more damaging version incapacitates the hosts and makes them pretty useless as vectors. A virus doesn't have an incentive to mutate into a more deadly form. It spreads better by keeping hosts alive and in contact with other potential hosts.

Any doctors on here feel free to tell me to fuck off of I'm mistaken.

Quick math but if Georgia holds steady with 500 new cases per day we’ll double our total cases and be at .9% of the population in Georgia having been infected by September.

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

A virus doesn't have an incentive to mutate into a more deadly form. It spreads better by keeping hosts alive and in contact with other potential hosts.

I'm sure you don't mean it, but incentive suggests there is conscious choice. The more apt word would be pressure. 

I'm sure you don't mean it, but incentive suggests there is conscious choice. The more apt word would be pressure. 
Yeah, obviously the coronavirus isn't weighing the pros and cons or checking to see if it gets tax credits for infecting sooners.

6 hours ago, Captainant said:

I'm not aware of any other states hit as hard and intensely as New York was. I can say that my dad has been moved several times in his Georgetown nursing home due to his roommate or a neighbor showing COVID symptoms, and yet those suspected and symptomatic patients haven't been relocated out of his NH. 

Again - I'M NOT DEFENDING CUOMO OR HIS TERRIBLE DECISION TO PUT SICK PEOPLE BACK IN NURSING HOMES. But I am saying that if you're in a mood to cast blame and comment on policy decisions, you're neglecting to consider the common denominator of leadership in all of this.

Lawrence Olivier?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hate said:

My MIL is 80 and a two time cancer survivor. She had a stroke this past weekend (mild) and had to be hospitalized. She has said many times that she is tired of this lockdown stuff and is willing to take her chances. We have provided her with masks, which she uses, and she washes her hands often. Of course, she can’t drive anymore since the stroke but until then she was going out all the time. I think she intentionally “under shopped” so she could justify going out as often as she wanted to. She’s at the point where she doesn’t really care if she gets and and I personally think she wants to get it so it can be over for her. She told me on the way to the hospital that she is tired of being sick and is ready to go.

Dude, I've been where you are as far as having a mother who is just "tired" of it and wants it to be over with.  It's painful and exhausting as hell mentally and emotionally.  I wish you the best bro.

• Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away