Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

7 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
8 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I was at Tejas BBQ in Tomball yesterday with my son. We were the only 2 wearing masks. Everyone stared at us like we were aliens.

Tomball =/ Houston

Jersey City anin't NYC either, but it's damned sure part of the metro.

Is there any data, maybe some of the healthcare workers on here would know, that shows if/how many Covid19 cases are from people admitted to hospital for something unrelated to the virus and then getting it there during their stay?  I know we're not there yet on contact tracing, but there's a lot of information on cases gotten in assisted living/senior facilities, I assume there's gotta be something similar on cases picked up in hospitals/clinics/etc.   Or is that a fool's errand?  Thanks for any info.  

Is there any data, maybe some of the healthcare workers on here would know, that shows if/how many Covid19 cases are from people admitted to hospital for something unrelated to the virus and then getting it there during their stay?  I know we're not there yet on contact tracing, but there's a lot of information on cases gotten in assisted living/senior facilities, I assume there's gotta be something similar on cases picked up in hospitals/clinics/etc.   Or is that a fool's errand?  Thanks for any info.  
That isn't really a thing happening with any regularity, at least in Texas. Hospitals are testing everyone that comes in and isolating the positives, wearing PPE when dealing with them, etc. If this has happened it's a fluke.
If the hospitals get overrun I guess that could change but it's not an issue right now.
  • Fuck You 1

One positive about the Minneapolis situation is it provided a shiny object that distracted a lot of the low-effort drive-by posters and, for awhile, we were having a good, productive discussion in here. I guess we're done with that.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

We haven’t really been inside large venues since early March (Costco once 3 weeks ago), just 3 brief walkins to CVS, once to Smoky Moe’s, once to Rudy’s, and once in a 7/11. Always Wearing masks, sanitizing hands & spraying shoe soles before getting back in the car. Plus wiping down every sack/ package that comes in the house. Only a couple of family members have been in our house, and that was last week..... maintaining distance. We will not let up.

In Wilco I have only seen a handful of people walking around into the above establishments without masks. In the Costco trip everyone was masked. Every store employee at all drive thru & curbside pickup have masks on. I’d guess overall the mask usage has been at least 98% up here. Outdoors maybe 50% mask usage by those walking around the park trails & neighborhoods, with most of the non-wearers at least carrying masks.

picked up our anniversary dinner at Perry’s curbside service in the Domain yesterday. Server was masked and maybe 25% of the pedestrians walking around. However, that’s the least amount of hipsters I’ve seen in that usually crowded place.

Edited by Armybrat

12 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Everywhere I go in Houston I see masks indoors.  I wear one indoors.  Have since mid March. Where are you guys not seeing masks?

I was in Central Market yesterday.  Didn’t see one non masker.  Was in Pearsall last weekend.   Masks at the HEB were everywhere.  Beeville — masks.  Freer — masks.  Shit towns in Louisiana when fishing Calcasieu— masks.  

I’m actually proud of my fellow Texans.  Because from what I’ve seen most people indoors are masking up.   

I’d actually agree that I’ve been pleasantly surprised with mask wearing outside of liberal Austin. I’m from Castroville out in Medina County, my dad still lives there. He’s going through some health issues so I’ve been there more often recently. Even there mask usage is pretty high. I’m also representing him in a legal case in Medina County, and the courts there are taking it seriously. He doesn’t have to show up in person because he is in a vulnerable population, and they are requiring masks for everyone in the courthouse. 

I know from personal experience Medina County isn’t liberal. But by and large they seem to be taking it seriously, at least in my anecdotal experience. 

I had to go Walmart yesterday and it was maybe 30% wearing masks. The percentage of male wearers may have been a little higher last week when I was at H-E-B, but no higher than 50%. It’s amazing how quickly those percentages have gone down in the last month.

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

One positive about the Minneapolis situation is it provided a shiny object that distracted a lot of the low-effort drive-by posters and, for awhile, we were having a good, productive discussion in here. I guess we're done with that.

This is coming from the guy who basically just shit on the thread for several months.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I've seen several headlines and read a couple of article about states with increasing cases of COVID (17-22 is the number of states in various articles), but none of the article I've read list the states & they don't really say if it is hospitalizations or just people testing positive. 
Huge difference in that hospitalizations up would mean more active cases, people testing positive could just be more widespread testing - I'm like about as smart as Forrest Gump, and even my stupid ass knows the difference goes beyond just more cases reported. 
Is there any reliable source to get real data or information and not just click-bait shits reporting?

4 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I've seen several headlines and read a couple of article about states with increasing cases of COVID (17-22 is the number of states in various articles), but none of the article I've read list the states & they don't really say if it is hospitalizations or just people testing positive. 
Huge difference in that hospitalizations up would mean more active cases, people testing positive could just be more widespread testing - I'm like about as smart as Forrest Gump, and even my stupid ass knows the difference goes beyond just more cases reported. 
Is there any reliable source to get real data or information and not just click-bait shits reporting?

It's been discussed all throughout the last few pages. Austin had its highest day of Covid hospital admits ever yesterday (24, vs. 18 previous high). Our seven-day rolling average of hospital admits is also the highest it's ever been. Dallas, Houston, and the state as a whole are seeing the same thing. We're hoping it's just a blip. The next 3-4 days are going to be critical.

For Austin, the city has stated that once we get into stage 4 (rolling average of 20 admits/day), we start to risk overloading the hospitals. No idea how they came up with those numbers.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It's been discussed all throughout the last few pages. Austin had its highest day of Covid hospital admits ever yesterday (24, vs. 18 previous high). Our seven-day rolling average of hospital admits is also the highest it's ever been. Dallas, Houston, and the state as a whole are seeing the same thing. We're hoping it's just a blip. The next 3-4 days are going to be critical.

For Austin, the city has stated that once we get into stage 4 (rolling average of 20 admits/day), we start to risk overloading the hospitals. No idea how they came up with those numbers.

Also important to understand that the hospitals may be able to handle more COVID-19 patients but at the expense of other non-COVID-19 patients. Non-COVID-19 patients could start to get turned away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Also important to understand that the hospitals may be able to handle more COVID-19 patients but at the expense of other non-COVID-19 patients. Non-COVID-19 patients could start to get turned away.

Yeah, I don't know what they're basing capacity off of. I know a bunch of the Seton hospitals are sending all Covid patients to Dell Seton right now. They obviously have ICU capacity at those hospitals if needed, and could overflow into other departments as well if it gets bad. But, like you said, that comes at the expense of other folks.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

That's because people are spinning the news. We went from "flatten the curve" to "no one should get sick". There will be areas where hospitalizations increase and the media will swarm on those stats with spooky charts and graphs. Always look for the larger picture & the trends. Both of those look good right now. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

This is coming from the guy who basically just shit on the thread for several months.

All I did was call out posters who were posting politics in a thread specifically labeled "NO POLITICS". Our definitions of shitting on a thread are obviously very different. But as all of those people who would constantly Cloak Room this thread have gotten banned or slowed down/stopped posting, the content and quality has improved dramatically. I see that those people are still around repping you because their feelings are still hurt, but I hope they continue to not post here. This thread has been great since they decided to move their outrage and political talking points to the Minnesota thread, which, coincidentally I'm sure, is one of the shittiest threads going.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

That's because people are spinning the news. We went from "flatten the curve" to "no one should get sick". There will be areas where hospitalizations increase and the media will swarm on those stats with spooky charts and graphs. Always look for the larger picture & the trends. Both of those look good right now. 

Well, we started with "this will all go away like a miracle" and assurances that warm weather would put a lid on things, which is what our state decision making has been predicated on. Doesn't seem wise to continue the opening plan as scheduled when cases are at best sitting at an all time high, and at worst growing again. 

• Like 1

All I know is right now there are 1,966 empty hospital beds in Tarrant County and of the 3880 that are full, only 216 are with confirmed Covid cases.  It's gone up and down all along but at this point 4% of total bed capacity and 6% of occupied capacity being used for Covid seems like something to keep a good eye on but not be overly worried about.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That's a little disengenuious given the discussion has been centered around Texas. You know that.

What? My quote was "Always look for the larger picture & the trends. Both of those look good right now."

Picking 1 city in 1 state is disingenuous. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

What? My quote was "Always look for the larger picture & the trends. Both of those look good right now."

Picking 1 city in 1 state is disingenuous. 

Next thing you'll tell us is that it's okay to buy salsa made in NEW YORK CITY!!!!

• Like 1

Now, the calendar is political?  There will likely be some level of spike starting in a couple days from now, as we'll be peak time out from the start of the really concentrated protests in Austin.  But what we've been seeing for the last week or so (one record after another), that's not from political gatherings.  The timing just doesn't synch up like that.  These recent spikes are from something else.  Memorial Day, reopening, South Austin's mom needing a backrub, etc.  But yeah, we can't talk about the physics of spit droplets on here, makes sense that days of the month are quickly becoming off-limits.  Again, I am just in awe that if our website of highly-educated and influential people can barely talk about these topics, how much of a fucking shitshow is the rest of the country/internet?  

13 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

no doubt this will also contribute. but the upward trend begins in mid-may.

I don't think that you can ignore the substantial change in trajectory on June 8.  That is squarely within the timeframe for transmission from the mass gatherings that started in late May. If those new cases do not reflect the impacts of the massive protests, prepare your angus cause things could get really bad really quick. 

Edited by Anastasis

Just now, Anastasis said:

I don't think that you can ignore the substantial change in trajectory on June 8.  That is squarely within the timeframe for transmission from the mass gatherings. If those new cases do not reflect the impacts of the massive protests, prepare your angus cause things could get really bad really quick. 

i am not ignoring it. there can be multiple causes for the spike. protests will definitely have an effect. so was relaxing restrictions before lowering the curve. like i said, mid-may we started trending in the wrong direction, which is two weeks after may 1, when we began relaxing. now we are going to see more effects of mass gatherings, ie, the protests, as well as people all over abandoning simple steps such as face coverings and social distancing. crowded restaurant patios are probably another cause. 

we are headed in the wrong direction.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i am not ignoring it. there can be multiple causes for the spike. protests will definitely have an effect. so was relaxing restrictions before lowering the curve. like i said, mid-may we started trending in the wrong direction, which is two weeks after may 1, when we began relaxing. now we are going to see more effects of mass gatherings, ie, the protests, as well as people all over abandoning simple steps such as face coverings and social distancing. crowded restaurant patios are probably another cause. 

This. So in a country of hundreds of millions with the majority of the population living in states that have opened things up without requiring masks or distancing, the blame falls on the shoulders of several hundred thousand protesters?

6 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

We actually held very steady in May. It was the beginning of June that we saw the spike. Memorial Day and the protests are definitely creating the spike. There was a jump in May and opening with no masks probably contributed to that. We had stability though. 

Edited by LebongJames

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away